Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #161
jellotree
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
i wanted the soldano so i spent 25 on that. 15 credits left...i bought the jazz (roland) amp w/o the cab. it sounds good with several of the 2x12 cabs i already own

i admit i don't like the idea of having to spend a minimum $40 at a time, it's really not cool
From IK perspective, it's perfect.

From the customer's perspective, I agree it sucks.

Gear Credits should be 1:1 until 40 credits. THEN you can go into the packages.

Gear Credit Packs Credits Single Credit Value
$19.99 / ...€14.99 ...20 ....$1.00 / €0.75
$39.99 / ...€29.99 ...45 ....$0.89 / €0.67
$59.99 / ...€44.99 ...70 ....$0.86 / €0.64
$99.99 / ...€74.99 ...125 ..$0.80 / €0.60
$199.99 / .€149.99 ..300 ..$0.67 / €0.50
$299.99 / .€224.99 ..500 ..$0.60 / €0.45

Saying that an amp costs 20 dollars is not quite accurate. You probably want the cab to go with it. If you own no previous version of Amplitube, you may want to spring for additional microphone impulses as you are limited to the three mics in Free. The AKG421 is nice on guitar, and RE20 good on bass amps. I think there are 16 microphones. It definitely adds up quickly...
jellotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #162
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellotree View Post
Saying that an amp costs 20 dollars is not quite accurate. You probably want the cab to go with it. If you own no previous version of Amplitube, you may want to spring for additional microphone impulses as you are limited to the three mics in Free. The AKG421 is nice on guitar, and RE20 good on bass amps. I think there are 16 microphones. It definitely adds up quickly...
After some calculations I decided to grab a license of Amp3 from the KVR marketplace.
As one of the Orange amps was included there as well as all the effects.

If anybody else is interested, I think there's one more on sale there right now.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #163
chrisharbin

Did anyone mention there is an update?

Pretty sparse for win7x64 but they say they fixed the compressor/crash issue.

Check your accounts.....
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #164
jellotree

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
After some calculations I decided to grab a license of Amp3 from the KVR marketplace.
As one of the Orange amps was included there as well as all the effects.
A quick check of AmpliTube Fender a la carte comes out to $500 dollars...not including the three mics already in AT3 Free.
You can buy it online for 199...
Old 04-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #165
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaJo View Post
May i ask if meanwhile we Amplitube 3 FREE users can download user presets?

Michael
Yup still waiting on word back from Italy. Its hard for us to check this out ourselves since most IK employees have all the models so we're waiting to hear back from Italy but know I've been on it asking daily for a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
Did anyone mention there is an update?

Pretty sparse for win7x64 but they say they fixed the compressor/crash issue.

Check your accounts.....
Yup! 3.5.2 is up and available in your user area!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #166
carbon

Default Preset/Patch Management System - Confusing...

The concept of "patch" and "preset" confuse the hell out of me and I've read the brief explanation in the manual.

Can somebody explain the system to me, what are the practical uses of both?

I'm trying to control the preset/patch switching with a MIDI controller:

1) The StealthPedal Ctrl settings allow to switch a *patch* up or down, but not a preset.
2) The Global MIDI settings allow only to switch a *preset* up or down.
3) The Preset MIDI settings allow to use program change, but this doesn't seem to apply to a patch.

I'd like to switch patches up/down with the StealthPedal Ctrl settings and specific patches via another MIDI controller program change.

Possible?
Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #167
chip mcdonald

Ala carte is a good idea, except that for the 2-3 amps I would want, combined with a cabinet and a mic it would cost more than Pod Farm.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #168
politcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Ala carte is a good idea, except that for the 2-3 amps I would want, combined with a cabinet and a mic it would cost more than Pod Farm.
how does Pod farm sound by comparison?
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #169
stratman

Quote:
I've got Podfarm, Podfarm 2 and a Pod X3. But I prefer the sound of Amplitube for my style of playing.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #170
G-Sun

Default Warning

Warning:
Be aware that the help-text for the jam-Points are wrong.

I followed it and missed the opportunity to use my Jam Points.
You have to use then when you buying credits, and it's easy to pass by it if your not attentive.

Of course a little pissed. But, pointing it out I would expect them to repay me. But, who knows..
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #171
Fozzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikemullings View Post
Just another little perspective.

I have X-gear AT2, AT Fender and AT Ampeg. (So clearly I like the AT stuff.)
If I could just get AT2 to show up in AT3 Free . . .
I haven't tested yet, but installed AT3 free late last night, did the "restore my gear" thing in custom shop and lo and behold: all AT2 models, Jimi Hendrix models and even Ampeg Uno is now available in AT3. Will try out in a bit, but sure looks nice to have all these models in the new AT3 environment
Old 04-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #172
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie View Post
I haven't tested yet, but installed AT3 free late last night, did the "restore my gear" thing in custom shop and lo and behold: all AT2 models, Jimi Hendrix models and even Ampeg Uno is now available in AT3. Will try out in a bit, but sure looks nice to have all these models in the new AT3 environment
PLUS 64 bit!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #173
spikemullings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie View Post
Brilliant! Yes!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #174
icemac

obik,

if i have 2 authorised installs, and buy the extras on the online one, is there no way to transfer those extras to the offline puter?
icemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #175
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemac View Post
obik,

if i have 2 authorised installs, and buy the extras on the online one, is there no way to transfer those extras to the offline puter?
At this time no, at some point that computer would need to be connected to update and download those files.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #176
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
At this time no, at some point that computer would need to be connected to update and download those files.
Hopefully you can have some sway in this matter Obi. This is a SERIOUS oversight on IK's behalf. It's a good thing I am more than happy with what comes free with AT3Free.

If IK decide to make a way to transfer custom shop purchases to offline computers, I'll probably make some purchases there.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #177
corazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Hopefully you can have some sway in this matter Obi. This is a SERIOUS oversight on IK's behalf. It's a good thing I am more than happy with what comes free with AT3Free.

If IK decide to make a way to transfer custom shop purchases to offline computers, I'll probably make some purchases there.
I wonder if IK could code the system, so people with 2 authorized copies
of A 3.5 could over-write a folder or file on the offline computer, with the same one from the online computer, updating the purchase/authorization, and product ID of newly purchased plugins? Somewhere in the shadows, I suspect anti-piracy is a major concern. Inflation is taking off, and money is only getting tighter. Keeping the reservoir of potential purchases in a closed system away from the bogans, may be a necessity, according the the accountants.
Cheers
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #178
icemac

This is an interesting commitment to divide the market.

Of course a home user has their computer online, and this is now the primary IK market.

But it does exclude the professional system which is more likely to not be online. Yet those lost sales probably aren’t many, but I speculate that they are more likely to be in the habit of buying, keeping it legal.

Shows where the money is. Cheap product for the masses, rather than the old world big ticket to few commercial facilities
Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #179
jellotree

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemac View Post
This is an interesting commitment to divide the market.

Of course a home user has their computer online, and this is now the primary IK market.

But it does exclude the professional system which is more likely to not be online. Yet those lost sales probably aren’t many, but I speculate that they are more likely to be in the habit of buying, keeping it legal.

Shows where the money is. Cheap product for the masses, rather than the old world big ticket to few commercial facilities
I agree with most of that. Regardless of what you read on forums, the majority of DAWs are connected. So IK is losing very little in sales to offline rigs. But it sort of gives the impression that Amplitube is Micky Mouse and not serious stuff.

As for 'cheap product' - buying three Amplitube amps/cabs/mics for 100 dollars doesn't strike me as cheap at all. Especially considering the quality of some of the recent freeware these days.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #180
icemac

$100 is realistic for a hobbyist.
Historically music software and even the first podfarm was not in this category
Old 04-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #181
ObiK

Quote:

It is something that we're still working on and may change in the future. The whole Custom Shop is brand new and we're looking forward to the future.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #182
corazon

linux is not free, it places you in charge of your system, and you must skillfully integrate daft, uncoordinated updates, revisions, or regressions, and find solutions for the problems only available on your specific customized machine. This costs many man/woman some very long hours of learning and application.

Much of this is already done for consumers of Apple and Microsoft products, as part of the rental agreement, but with wildly varying levels of success. The user ALWAYS pays the price, whether at the apple store, the big-box store selling only windows-PC bundles, or the linux user spending time in the search engines, door-stop manuals, and forum help-cries.

Last edited by corazon; 04-26-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: language
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #183
icemac

It’s crazy that it has gone from the paying user jumping through hoops because of others piracy, to now the legitimate user can’t even buy the product because of the protection...
Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #184
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
free plugins do not need registration,
says who?

i remember back in '01 izotope vinyl. It required registration, but I never paid a dime for it.

free enough for me!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #185
ngarjuna

In the sense that you have to spend time registering, you could say it's "not free" (because, after all, our time is money). However, let's be real here: it's extremely inexpensive (the time to register).

The required registration isn't much use to the end user who doesn't want to add amps from the custom shop, true. But think of it from IK's perspective: they aren't giving away software here just to be altruistic, they're doing it as part of a promotional move to get more people using Amplitube (I'm guessing something along the lines of the more people using it, the more people might buy upgrade amps, cabs, etc.); the association of your free Amplitube 3 and your account at IK is essential, that's the whole reason they gave it away to you (on the hopes that you will buy something). That doesn't mean you have to buy something but they aren't going to let your laziness (in terms of "I'll register later or something...") be the thing that stops you from spending money inside their free platform. That seems like a pretty ordinary (and possibly smart) business decision and not at all fishy.

JBM's example (Izotope Vinyl) was similar: they were giving away those plugins in order to beef up their email list. Companies don't spend time and money developing things to give away in secret/obscurity; all free stuff is given away for a reason.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #186
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
In the sense that you have to spend time registering, you could say it's "not free" (because, after all, our time is money). However, let's be real here: it's extremely inexpensive (the time to register).

The required registration isn't much use to the end user who doesn't want to add amps from the custom shop, true. But think of it from IK's perspective: they aren't giving away software here just to be altruistic, they're doing it as part of a promotional move to get more people using Amplitube (I'm guessing something along the lines of the more people using it, the more people might buy upgrade amps, cabs, etc.); the association of your free Amplitube 3 and your account at IK is essential, that's the whole reason they gave it away to you (on the hopes that you will buy something). That doesn't mean you have to buy something but they aren't going to let your laziness (in terms of "I'll register later or something...") be the thing that stops you from spending money inside their free platform. That seems like a pretty ordinary (and possibly smart) business decision and not at all fishy.

JBM's example (Izotope Vinyl) was similar: they were giving away those plugins in order to beef up their email list. Companies don't spend time and money developing things to give away in secret/obscurity; all free stuff is given away for a reason.
I always try to be positive. I don't have time in my life to deal with negatives. I mean if you do want to talk time, then going with an actual company that produces award winning software would be a bit better than downloading iffy freeware made with synth edit and cause crashes. (Speaking from experience here) There is a lot more freeware than paid for software BUT compare how many of it is actually good to how many actually exist and you'll see my point.

But to stay positive, giving out free software that enables people to be able to record quality recordings with just their guitars and a laptop is a good thing. Now any kid can record something great with a small interface, Reaper and AmpliTube 3 Free. Easily under 200 to have a small capable set up. And we required registration for YEARS before the Custom Shop existed with all our paid software.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #187
chrisharbin

:angrymob:

You can't please everyone

:endangrymob:

All most care about is fixing the stuff that doesn't work, all this auth paranoia is just bordering on absurd. Please forgive my bluntness but seriously, it's just a waste.

(certain members ask) "then why don't you just unsubscribe"

Answer: Because I've paid good money for my IK stuff, I'm very interested in the product and would like to hear about updates, uses, etc without this constant auth-mob stuff. I'm especially curious about people using it in reaper since that is my main host
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #188
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Didn't have time to actively compare; at the moment I'd say Line 6's faults lay in their cab emulation. A brief appraisal leads me to think that the Amplitube took a different philosophy relative to the outcome. I own/have owned a lot of vintage amps, and can say the "knobs" on the Line 6 gear correspond better to the originals in doing what you expect - and maybe yielding more variability in turn, but the Amplitube results are nicer. Amplitube models seem to be "wanting" a certain sound as the result, and does that well, Podfarm is more ambivalent but perhaps comes up short.

I'm considering trying one or two since I didn't really have time in the two days allotted to actually compare the two. Which makes me feel like a sucker, but YMMV.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #189
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
:angrymob:

You can't please everyone

:endangrymob:

All most care about is fixing the stuff that doesn't work, all this auth paranoia is just bordering on absurd. Please forgive my bluntness but seriously, it's just a waste.

(certain members ask) "then why don't you just unsubscribe"

Answer: Because I've paid good money for my IK stuff, I'm very interested in the product and would like to hear about updates, uses, etc without this constant auth-mob stuff. I'm especially curious about people using it in reaper since that is my main host
+1 to this. I too am happy with both my paid IK software (SampleTank) and AT3 Free. The registration thing doesn't bother me in the slightest.
The only issue I have is getting any future custom shop purchases to my offline studio rig. That is a small issue at present because I am currently content with what comes with AT3 Free.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #190
chip mcdonald

Ok, so I bought 45 "gear credits" and used them. I now want to get the Marshall 25 watt cab for 5 "gear credits" that I was trying out.

I have 5 "jam points" that I have redeemed giving me the serial code, but when I enter that in Custom Shop as directed in the email, I get "invalid serial number"? Is there some other link I need to go to?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #191
ngarjuna

Quote:
Ok, so I bought 45 "gear credits" and used them. I now want to get the Marshall 25 watt cab for 5 "gear credits" that I was trying out.

I have 5 "jam points" that I have redeemed giving me the serial code, but when I enter that in Custom Shop as directed in the email, I get "invalid serial number"? Is there some other link I need to go to?
The description of how to use the Jam Points was a little weird, but from what I could figure out: I only figured out how to use Jam Points to purchase credits. I did not figure out a way to apply them to Custom Store purchases (at which point no cash is changing hands because you've already bought the credits).

I redeemed 2 sets of 10 Jam Points (both applied to a 19.99 purchase of 20 credits since you can only redeem up to 50% value of an item with Jam Points) and paid only 9.99 or whatever it was (I think it let me do that).

If there's a way to apply/redeem Jam Points in the Custom Shop I couldn't figure out how to do it; thankfully this realization struck me before purchasing credits.
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #192
corazon

Quote:
+1 to this. I too am happy with both my paid IK software (SampleTank) and AT3 Free. The registration thing doesn't bother me in the slightest.
The only issue I have is getting any future custom shop purchases to my offline studio rig. That is a small issue at present because I am currently content with what comes with AT3 Free.
I've had XP installed for 4+ years, with only Avast Free,
Spybot Search&Destroy, and Windows SP3 Firewall, to save me from the wrath
of the virii. It's the warez, mega-games, and erotica websites you have to avoid, not the IK Custom Shop. Drag the old P4 out of the attic, and put
a linux on it, for daily excursions into the Cybers.
Firefox or Opera, or Chromium, EZ Money
Cheers
Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #193
Boray

I installed Amplitube 3 free today. And so far, I'm pretty amazed. I've always used my Pod 2 before and have not even tried any amp plugins before so this is pretty amazing.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #194
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarjuna View Post
I redeemed 2 sets of 10 Jam Points (both applied to a 19.99 purchase of 20 credits since you can only redeem up to 50% value of an item with Jam Points)
Gahhhh.

Quote:
If there's a way to apply/redeem Jam Points in the Custom Shop I couldn't figure out how to do it;
It let me use "Jam Points" with a promo code when I made my first purchase.

Quote:
thankfully this realization struck me before purchasing credits.
Dammit Jim, I'm a musician not an accountant! You can't buy things ala carte apparently. So now I will have to make another purchase of a greater amount than I intended. Suckered.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #195
chip mcdonald

WTF? I kept getting "invalid serial" when trying to enter the promo code for my 5 "Jam Points" - so then I noticed in the email it says:

"Use this code during the checkout phase of your purchase in the IK Store by entering this code into the "Promo Code" field, and clicking on the "add" button. Note: YOU MUST CLICK "ADD" or your Promo Code will not apply to the purchase. "

There wasn't an "ADD" to click - I had already clicked "add credits", so one presumes it must be further in the "checkout" phase? So now I've spent an extra $20 and I still have "promo code not used"? Great.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #196
ObiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
I installed Amplitube 3 free today. And so far, I'm pretty amazed. I've always used my Pod 2 before and have not even tried any amp plugins before so this is pretty amazing.
Thanks! Glad you like it!

Quote:
Gahhhh.

It let me use "Jam Points" with a promo code when I made my first purchase.

Dammit Jim, I'm a musician not an accountant! You can't buy things ala carte apparently. So now I will have to make another purchase of a greater amount than I intended. Suckered.

Sorry about that but using your Jam Points for up to 50% of is still a great deal.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #197
ObiK

Quote:
WTF? I kept getting "invalid serial" when trying to enter the promo code for my 5 "Jam Points" - so then I noticed in the email it says:

"Use this code during the checkout phase of your purchase in the IK Store by entering this code into the "Promo Code" field, and clicking on the "add" button. Note: YOU MUST CLICK "ADD" or your Promo Code will not apply to the purchase. "

There wasn't an "ADD" to click - I had already clicked "add credits", so one presumes it must be further in the "checkout" phase? So now I've spent an extra $20 and I still have "promo code not used"? Great.
Please contact our support and fill out a ticket so we can get this squared away asap. Keep me updated on it too.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #198
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
I've had XP installed for 4+ years, with only Avast Free,
Spybot Search&Destroy, and Windows SP3 Firewall, to save me from the wrath
of the virii. It's the warez, mega-games, and erotica websites you have to avoid, not the IK Custom Shop. Drag the old P4 out of the attic, and put
a linux on it, for daily excursions into the Cybers.
Firefox or Opera, or Chromium, EZ Money
Cheers
The issue for most of us isn't the virus threat, it's performance. I have my main DAW system tweaked with all unnecessary hardware disabled and it makes a significant difference. My studio rig is a digital recording and mixing device and that is all it is. I don't need, or want it to have all the peripherals for redundant functions enabled.
I've optimized it to be really good at it's sole intended purpose.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #199
corazon

Quote:
The issue for most of us isn't the virus threat, it's performance. I have my main DAW system tweaked with all unnecessary hardware disabled and it makes a significant difference. My studio rig is a digital recording and mixing device and that is all it is. I don't need, or want it to have all the peripherals for redundant functions enabled.
I've optimized it to be really good at it's sole intended purpose.
You can turn off avast from its tray icon, when not online. Spybot is a blip in taskmanager, but it's service is also simple to control. These should be available to guard your system anyway, as there are several ways for offline infestations to occur. For the occasional purchase or reg, it takes only a minute or two to install/uninstall, so there really is no need to have an unprotected system (beyond remnant ideology from the 800 mhz PIII era) and you are likely pushing 8, 12 or more ghz in cpu power.
Cheers
Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #200
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
You can turn off avast from its tray icon, when not online. Spybot is a blip in taskmanager, but it's service is also simple to control. These should be available to guard your system anyway, as there are several ways for offline infestations to occur. For the occasional purchase or reg, it takes only a minute or two to install/uninstall, so there really is no need to have an unprotected system (beyond remnant ideology from the 800 mhz PIII era) and you are likely pushing 8, 12 or more ghz in cpu power.
Cheers
Ah, but there's more than just services and software. There's all the hardware disabling and bios settings too. My system is running really well with everything exactly as it is now and I really don't want to mess with bios, hardware drivers, services AND software just to enable ONE program access to the web. It's not worth the hassle to be honest.

As far as viruses coming from other sources is concerned, that's really a non issue here. Everything that is loaded onto my studio rig either comes from downloads done on my fully protected laptop or, if it is external media from an outside source, gets checked on my laptop first. Q.E.D.