Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
herg67
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper suddenly fails to see my plugins for no reason

For the life of me I don't know why Reaper throws up these annoying errors but I keep losing my vst plugins. Now it doesn't see Omnisphere all of a sudden with no changes made by me. I get this message as I hear no sound from Omnisphere. Why ? Rebooted PC and still get "following plugin cannot be loaded"

Infuriating!!!

The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired.

Track 10: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 17: VSTi: Omnisphere (Spectrasonics) (16 out)

Last edited by herg67; 09-19-2018 at 02:57 PM.
herg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
herg67

Now it is worse:

The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired.

Track 2: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 10: VSTi: Reaktor5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (2->8ch)
Track 14: VSTi: Reaktor5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (2->8ch)
Track 15: VSTi: Reaktor5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (2->8ch)
Track 17: VSTi: Omnisphere (Spectrasonics) (16 out)
Track 36: VSTi: StylusRMX (Spectrasonics) (16 out)

The locations for these programs have not changed and the vst plugin paths have not changed in preferences either

Anyone please ???
Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
dug dog

I had this happen to me 2 or 3 times on V5.94 but restarting Reaper always fixed the issue. (This was a very low percentage of the number of sessions I opened.)

I hope someone can offer more insight.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:11 AM   #4
herg67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
I had this happen to me 2 or 3 times on V5.94 but restarting Reaper always fixed the issue. (This was a very low percentage of the number of sessions I opened.)

I hope someone can offer more insight.
Obviously not

Restarting Reaper or the PC didn't fix it. Reaper is a pain in the A** sometimes when it decides to screw up my system.

Last edited by herg67; 09-20-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:39 AM   #5
SubbaseDnB

i had this happen too,as far as i remember a rescan seemed to solved it.
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:55 AM   #6
herg67

Re-scan does not solve it. Managed to get it to see Spectrasonics programs but still will not see Ambiance, despite directing the path to it in the folder.

What more can I do if it still doesn't see it ?

Track 4: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 7: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 11: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 12: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:58 AM   #7
Tyrannocaster

You could try a portable version of Reaper to see if it recognizes them. If it does, you could back up your configuration and reinstall Reaper. If it doesn't...your guess is as good as mine.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:08 AM   #8
herg67

I haven't a portable version. This just doesn't make sense when I direct Reaper to the path in the folder for the reverb (that was working just fine) and it doesn't include it in the list. Reaper is very unreliable of late.

it will NOT see Ambience.dll that is in the same folder as the rest of plugins it sees. Why would it be selective ?

Last edited by herg67; 09-20-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
Dr Bob

I doubt it's unreliable (honestly) I've used and updated Reaper for years and years without any issue at all, including migrating to a new machine. Never had a problem - and any I have had have been with early code development issues with very new plugins - e.g. FathomSynth (sorted!). WinXp, Win7 and Win10

It has probably marked a plugin as problematic (for what ever reason), and no end of scans will fix the scanning of the file.

Try this …

Go to your Reaper Resource Path - (Options/Show Reaper Resource Path in Explorer/finder).

Close Reaper.

Rename the file reaper-vstplugins64.ini to eg reaper-vstplugins64.iniold

Restart Reaper and then do a rescan - it'll scan and rebuild this file for you.

Can you paste your vstpath64 line from your Reaper.ini file so we can check there's nothing amiss in there as well. (it's about 30% down the file which notepad will open - just don't edit it yet!)

Installing a portable setup can also help you track down if it's your config that's an issue somewhere.

dB

PS I'm running 64-bit reaper - if you are still 32-bit the filenames may be different - may not have the "64" - someone else may be able to confirm this - but the files to look at should be obvious - there's not many.
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
herg67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
I doubt it's unreliable (honestly) I've used and updated Reaper for years and years without any issue at all, including migrating to a new machine. Never had a problem - and any I have had have been with early code development issues with very new plugins - e.g. FathomSynth (sorted!). WinXp, Win7 and Win10

It has probably marked a plugin as problematic (for what ever reason), and no end of scans will fix the scanning of the file.

Try this …

Go to your Reaper Resource Path - (Options/Show Reaper Resource Path in Explorer/finder).

Close Reaper.

Can you paste your vstpath64 line from your Reaper.ini file so we can check there's nothing amiss in there as well. (it's about 30% down the file which notepad will open - just don't edit it yet!)

Installing a portable setup can also help you track down if it's your config that's an issue somewhere.

dB

PS I'm running 64-bit reaper - if you are still 32-bit the filenames may be different - may not have the "64" - someone else may be able to confirm this - but the files to look at should be obvious - there's not many.
Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated. I am running the 64 bit version.

I have tried as you advised but there is no reaper-vstplugins64.ini only reaper-vstplugins64 showing in the path
Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #11
dug dog

Do any of the files in that path show .ini file extensions? If not, then you probably have that option switched off in your operating system preferences and, so, "reaper-vstplugins64" should be the file that Dr. Bob is referring to.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
herg67

Quote:
Do any of the files in that path show .ini file extensions? If not, then you probably have that option switched off in your operating system preferences and, so, "reaper-vstplugins64" should be the file that Dr. Bob is referring to.
There are no .ini file extensions showing and I haven't turned any preferences off in Windows 7

Last edited by herg67; 09-20-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
Dr Bob

If there are no .ini files showing then something/someone has switched off the file/view option to see file extensions then!

Check your system and switch it back on … then try what I said.

dB
Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #14
Alistair S

I'm not sure anyone has switched it off (it seems to default to not showing extensions).

To switch it on, in Explorer, click on View and the Options. In Options choose Change Folder and Search Options and click on the View tab.

Select Shown Hidden Files, Folders and Drives. Also, uncheck the option to "Hide extensions for known file type" and apply.

Explorer should then show the extensions and you will see the ini file.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
sonicowl

Just a suggestion... do you maybe have 32 and 64 bit version of plugin installed? If yes, and they both have the same name, just rename 32bit version from Ambience.dll in vst folder to Ambience86.dll. Then rescan plugins.
I noticed Reaper has problems if both 32 and 64 bit versions have the same name - one of them just dissapears.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 AM   #16
ivansc

NBobody seems to have suggested the most likely solution.
Instead of just a re-scan, have you tried doing a full clear/re-scan? The reasoning behind this is that reaper will mark any failed plugins as unavailable until you actually clear the cache and try rescanning. Hopefully this will work.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:41 AM   #17
Dr Bob

True … I mentioned this possibility a few posts ago, but forgot to say do a clear cache/rescan to maybe clear this.

Hopefully this and/or renaming the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file and rescanning should sort it.

I note the OP has still not posted his vstpath from the Reaper.ini file -there may be gremlins there.

OP???

dB
Old 09-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #18
herg67

Quote:

Try this …

Close Reaper.

dB

Sorry, I did all that and it didn't work.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #19
herg67

Quote:
True … I mentioned this possibility a few posts ago, but forgot to say do a clear cache/rescan to maybe clear this.

Hopefully this and/or renaming the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file and rescanning should sort it.

I note the OP has still not posted his vstpath from the Reaper.ini file -there may be gremlins there.

OP???

dB
Sorry, I do not know how to post this path ?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #20
dug dog

In your Reaper Resources folder there will be a file named REAPER.ini or, if you haven't figured out how to show file extensions, it will just be named REAPER.

You can open this file with Notepad and then, not too far from the top (for me it's line 46) there will be a line that says "vstpath=" and , on that line, will be a list of all the places that Reaper is searching for VSTs. The contents of that line is what Bob is asking you for.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #21
herg67

Quote:
In your Reaper Resources folder there will be a file named REAPER.ini or, if you haven't figured out how to show file extensions, it will just be named REAPER.

You can open this file with Notepad and then, not too far from the top (for me it's line 46) there will be a line that says "vstpath=" and , on that line, will be a list of all the places that Reaper is searching for VSTs. The contents of that line is what Bob is asking you for.
Ok, got it. This is the path I set up in preferences. Ambiance seems to be in more tha one location hence why I have all these paths to cover it.

vstpath64=C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstplugins;C:\Program Files\VstPlugins;
Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #22
Goldreap

I'm pretty sure the Windows version of Ambience is 32 bit only. Are you saying you have the ambience.dll in all those three locations? Just have it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstplugins, and delete it from the other folders.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #23
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by herg67 View Post
Sorry, I did all that and it didn't work.
Did you try doing a full clear/rescan, though?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #24
herg67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Did you try doing a full clear/rescan, though?
Yes, and I have always had the same version of ambience running in the 64 bit Reaper. In fact, it's already in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstplugins folder.

Why would it suddenly reject it out the blue ?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
Try running reaper as admin as a test only... right-click reaper > run as administrator and see if it still occurs. Or if you are already running as admin, explain why and let us know that you are.

Secondly, if you are up to it, download process monitor, run it, repro as fast as possible, save the trace as .PML file, zip it and let me know how I can get to it and I'll take a look later this evening.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #26
Dr Bob

Quote:
If Reaper tried to load one of your other versions and failed, then it would then fail that one.

Ambience is not a VST3 plugin. Also, most VST3 plugins get installed by an installer, and you rarely, if at all, get to choose where they go. So, you need to remove the .dll in the VST3 folder. Also, since it's a (x86) .dll, then it's a 32-bit plugin, and so you should also delete the copy in the 64 bit folder.

Do this with Reaper closed down. Then run Reaper and click "clear cache/re-scan".

What other plugins do you have in these folders? Again, anything new that you might have put there could in some ways prevent the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file being scanned correctly.

Remember, you can't always just copy a .dll to a plugins folder as some plugins require their "support" files to be in specfic places or in a folder hierarchy. (Not so say many/some can't).

Are any other plugins not showing up?

So, to summerize, get rid of all the ambience.dll files in all but the (x86) folder. Then clear cache/re-scan.

dB
Old 10-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #27
herg67

Quote:
If Reaper tried to load one of your other versions and failed, then it would then fail that one.

Ambience is not a VST3 plugin. Also, most VST3 plugins get installed by an installer, and you rarely, if at all, get to choose where they go. So, you need to remove the .dll in the VST3 folder. Also, since it's a (x86) .dll, then it's a 32-bit plugin, and so you should also delete the copy in the 64 bit folder.

Do this with Reaper closed down. Then run Reaper and click "clear cache/re-scan".

What other plugins do you have in these folders? Again, anything new that you might have put there could in some ways prevent the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file being scanned correctly.

Remember, you can't always just copy a .dll to a plugins folder as some plugins require their "support" files to be in specfic places or in a folder hierarchy. (Not so say many/some can't).

Are any other plugins not showing up?

So, to summerize, get rid of all the ambience.dll files in all but the (x86) folder. Then clear cache/re-scan.

dB
Sorry, not opened Reaper for a while so just coming back to this.

Got rid of all ambience files bar the (x86) and still it doesn't show up. It's always been in that folder, nothing was changed so it must be Reaper at fault. For the life of me I do not know what to do about this as all my old projects are now ruined as the reverb is used in them.

Track 1: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 11: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 12: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 13: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 14: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 15: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 18: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)
Track 19: VST: Ambience (x86) (Magnus @ Smartelectron:x)

Last edited by herg67; 10-13-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #28
Goldreap

Probably a silly question but have you downloaded and tried a fresh version of it?

Download from the smartelectronix site, not the vst4free site which has the older version with a nag screen to make a donation.

http://www.smartelectronix.com/~magn....html#Ambience

Another thing, Ambience is one of those few 32 bit plugins that doesn't like the REAPER 64 bit setting ' Run as > Embed bridged UI'.....sometimes seems OK but sometimes the GUI doesn't display properly until you jiggle the window..funny really, like kicking something to make it start!

Old 10-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #29
herg67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Probably a silly question but have you downloaded and tried a fresh version of it?

Download from the smartelectronix site, not the vst4free site which has the older version with a nag screen to make a donation.

http://www.smartelectronix.com/~magn....html#Ambience

Another thing, Ambience is one of those few 32 bit plugins that doesn't like the REAPER 64 bit setting ' Run as > Embed bridged UI'.....sometimes seems OK but sometimes the GUI doesn't display properly until you jiggle the window..funny really, like kicking something to make it start!

Yes, tried it and it hasn't worked. Never had any problem loading it for the past 8 years so why does it suddenly not see it when nothing has changed except Reaper software updates ?

Last edited by herg67; 10-13-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #30
domzy

Quote:
Got rid of all ambience files bar the (x86) and still it doesn't show up. It's always been in that folder, nothing was changed so it must be Reaper at fault. For the life of me I do not know what to do about this as all my old projects are now ruined as the reverb is used in them.
I think you've raised an important point about compatibility. I don't want to be a dick, but i think it's kind of unreasonable to expect older plugins (especially free ones) to work indefinitely. Computer technology moves really quickly etc. etc.
If you want to future-proof your work you can mix stems to audio or maintain an older, working system like XP if particular plugins are crucial. I know this doesn't help your current predicament but it might give others something to think about. It's certainly reminded me to have full audio backups of older projects.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
Yes, tried it and it hasn't worked. Never had any problem loading it for the past 8 years so why does it suddenly not see it when nothing has changed except Reaper software updates ?
Without reading every response, one thing comes to mind. If you were running a 64 bit version of REAPER and when updating it, inadvertently installed the 32 bit version, any 64 bit plugins would no longer show up because they won't function in a 32 bit host.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #32
domzy

Quote:
and have you tried rolling back to an earlier version of reaper?
Old 10-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #33
herg67

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
and have you tried rolling back to an earlier version of reaper?
No, I can't do that.

I have always run the 64 bit Reaper with no problem with ambiance.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #34
domzy

Quote:
No, I can't do that.

I have always run the 64 bit Reaper with no problem with ambiance.
but you're saying that it was caused by updating Reaper, so have you tried re-installing v5.8 64bit, for example?
Old 10-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #35
Glennbo

Quote:
No, I can't do that.
Actually you can do that. Every version of REAPER that ever existed is available here.

https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=5x

Once I spent the entire day trying them all the way back to the first public release dated December 23 2005. They can be installed one on top of another, and to get back to current, just install the latest version again.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #36
Goldreap

In windows explorer locate the dll> right click> properties, then down the bottom 'unblock'. Who knows, might help.
Another thing: the dll I mentioned from vst4free (the one with the nag) has the same name but is a different size..might be worth actually trying it...you can just dismiss the nag.
Another thing: Maybe your anti-virus stuff is blocking it?

Just thinking out loud...I know you must be tearing your hair out.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #37
herg67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
In windows explorer locate the dll> right click> properties, then down the bottom 'unblock'. Who knows, might help.
I did that, "unblocked" and it still doesn't see it.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #38
Tyrannocaster

Try a portable version, as already mentioned.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #39
herg67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocaster View Post
Try a portable version, as already mentioned.
I only have it on a desktop.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #40
Tyrannocaster

That doesn't make sense. If you have the Reaper installer you can make a portable installation with it. Or were you not aware of that?