Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #201
morfi
Human being with feelings

Very welcome addition!

I'd known this approach of Auto-Gain Compensation from the Tokyo Dawn Labs plug-ins (they call it Equal Loudness, including an Equal-Loudness bypass button) and it's just terrific. It's on by default in every mix that I do.

Congratulations nitsuj! and thank you!
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #202
TonE

You both are awesome, thanks a lot for the update!
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #203
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
New version of ReEQ available from the first page.

New feature: Automatic Gain Control (AGC).

Toggled by clicking the 'AGC' button on the bottom button row. When toggled on, ReEQ will attempt to match the output gain with the input level. A small button with 'S' (for Set) appears next to the AGC button when toggled on. Pressing this 'S' button will set ReEQ's master volume to the matching value and disable AGC once more. To cancel AGC mode simply click the AGC button again.

This is a tool to help avoid the 'lounder = better' effect. Using AGC the volume of the output audio after EQing should be close to the loudness of the audio before EQing. Of course, after hitting the 'S' AGC button to set the ReEQ master volume, you're quite free to manually adjust.

Big props to Sai'ke as I used the same method for AGC that he uses in Filther (which is just....awesome!)
Thank you, I can't wait to sink my teeth into this plugin. I only just got to play with Flither yesterday, and it is indeed just awesome!
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:16 AM   #204
Vagelis

Thanks for the great update once again
Another feature i would love to see in a future update would be if we could select more than one node and tweak them together just like fabfilter proQ.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:40 AM   #205
pim van dorst

Default re eq

it's getting better and better ...download done!!!

AGC nice extra potion

thnks 1s again for this free eq !!!!
pim van dorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:07 AM   #206
TBProAudio

Quote:
New version of ReEQ available from the first page.

New feature: Automatic Gain Control (AGC).

Toggled by clicking the 'AGC' button on the bottom button row. When toggled on, ReEQ will attempt to match the output gain with the input level. A small button with 'S' (for Set) appears next to the AGC button when toggled on. Pressing this 'S' button will set ReEQ's master volume to the matching value and disable AGC once more. To cancel AGC mode simply click the AGC button again.

This is a tool to help avoid the 'lounder = better' effect. Using AGC the volume of the output audio after EQing should be close to the loudness of the audio before EQing. Of course, after hitting the 'S' AGC button to set the ReEQ master volume, you're quite free to manually adjust.

Big props to Sai'ke as I used the same method for AGC that he uses in Filther (which is just....awesome!)

Hey nitsuj,

AGC is a very cool feature. Thank you!

In any case I found it not working 100% correctly: I wrapped a fresh instance of ReJJ with AB_LM and enabled AGC. The input signal is white noise.

I expected to see Post FX gain diff of 0dB, but I see -2.6dB.
If I turn off AGC AB_LM shows the correct value of 0.0 dB gain diff.

Maybe this helps to fix AGC.

Last edited by TBProAudio; 03-06-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Typos
TBProAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 AM   #207
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBProAudio View Post
In any case I found it not working 100% correctly: I wrapped a fresh instance of ReJJ with AB_LM and enabled AGC. The input signal is white noise.

I expected to see Post FX gain diff of 0dB, but I see -2.6dB.
If I turn off AGC AB_LM shows the correct value of 0.0 dB gain diff.

Maybe this helps to fix AGC.
Good catch! AGC with white noise should indeed show a 0db gain. I think I know how to fix it/improve accuracy, so I'll get onto it as soon as I get chance.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #208
nitsuj

New version up.

Improvements to the AGC code to directly set the amplitude at each audio sample adjusting for the difference between the input audio and the EQ affected audio. It was iterating before.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #209
TBProAudio

Quote:
New version up.

Improvements to the AGC code to directly set the amplitude at each audio sample adjusting for the difference between the input audio and the EQ affected audio. It was iterating before.

Yes, AGC is now working the way it should. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #210
winbe

Wow I am impressed.... it looks and feels good!
And even the "preEq" feature is there, what could I need more?
Yes, maybe a way to "solo" a band to listen to it exclusively.

I bought DDMF IIEQPro to get a bit of the ProQ feeling... but it has some bugs and the developper does not seem to answer....
And usually, I go back to Reaeq.

So this could be the new goto Eq? It should be included in Reaper 6 and be somehow compensated for the effort then

EDIT: WOW!! the solo option has been added in a recent version... this just rocks!!

Last edited by winbe; 03-13-2019 at 03:19 AM.
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:49 AM   #211
sai'ke

It's really nice what you've made here nitsuj. I can see that a lot of effort and attention went into it
Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #212
DaveKeehl

I truly believe this plugin should be used as a basis for ReaEQ for Reaper 6
Old 03-13-2019, 04:20 AM   #213
airon

Works well.

Pros for me are the sound, handling and plenthora of options, as well as its ok cpu use.

Pro-Q3 VST3 on the same track with the same material uses 0.08% as indicated by Reapers FX Chain display and performance meter.

Reeq uses 0.36% which is perfectly fine, considering this is JS and that it features oversampling.

I suggest that this be added to either your own GIT repo that comes with an index file to use in Reapack, or you contribute it to the ReaTeam JSFX GIT repo ( https://github.com/ReaTeam/JSFX/ ) and keep the main branch of the plugin as a maintainer.

This is also a damn fine library for any JS writers to use in their effects.

Thank you Justin.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #214
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeehl View Post
I truly believe this plugin should be used as a basis for ReaEQ for Reaper 6
Me too! I hope Justin Frankel and Schwa are taking note!

Lic. Ezequiel Morfi | TITANIO
Buenos Aires, Argentina.-
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #215
winbe

I'll have to test it on my real audio PC, as here on another machine, I realized it was eating a bit too much CPU for my taste (around 3.5 to 4% with 4 bands).
It eats 0.3% with 0 bands and no spectrum displayed at all (so just a black window, and hidden anyway).
Funny fact, it eats more when the playback is stopped, in this case I easily reach 6 or 7% of CPU.

Even with the window hidden it seems to eat quite much, and there is some latency as well. I guess this is inevitable with JSFX.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #216
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
I'll have to test it on my real audio PC, as here on another machine, I realized it was eating a bit too much CPU for my taste (around 3.5 to 4% with 4 bands).
It eats 0.3% with 0 bands and no spectrum displayed at all (so just a black window, and hidden anyway).
Funny fact, it eats more when the playback is stopped, in this case I easily reach 6 or 7% of CPU.
Are you on the latest version? An earlier version had some issues with denormals increasing the CPU usage when there was no input, but as far as I know, this is resolved now.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #217
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
Funny fact, it eats more when the playback is stopped, in this case I easily reach 6 or 7% of CPU
I'm a little at the mercy of how JSFX is working with some things. With every filter band engaged I get about 1.2% CPU utilisation (2012 i7 Macbook Pro) in 'ANA' mode. It's true that when play is stopped it climbs a little - very odd behaviour. I will look into it at some point.

Quote:
Even with the window hidden it seems to eat quite much, and there is some latency as well. I guess this is inevitable with JSFX.
The latency is because you're in 'ANA' (Analog) mode where the filter shapes match closely their analog counterparts near Nyquist. The latency is due to oversampling.

If you change this to 'DIG' (Digital) then you'll have zero latency and performance will be twice as good BUT your filter shapes will cramp near Nyquist as do the ReaEQ ones. Much of the time this may not matter and I think there's still enough extras in ReEQ to make it a valid alternative to ReaEQ even in this mode.

When you toggle between 'ANA' and 'DIG' you'll have to offline and then online toggle ReEQ to force Reaper to recognise the changes in latency. There's an issue with JSFX where changes in PDC aren't recognised.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #218
winbe

Thanks for the detailed explanations, it totally makes sense!

But tried on my audio PC, and I only get 0.3% CPU, this is perfect!!!

Last edited by winbe; 03-13-2019 at 01:32 PM.
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #219
heda

Does someone have like a big spike on the master from time to time like +20db or more. My ears are ok because I cannot hear it since REAPER master protection kicks in. Maybe it is only one bad bit or something. But I think it happens on only two projects I am starting to use ReEQ. I will have to test it more
Thank you for the awesome plugin !
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #220
Edgemeal

Thanks nitsuj, nice plugin!

Haven't tested much but with AGC enabled REAPER auto Mute the track one time when I stopped play, might be same as what heda mentioned?
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 AM   #221
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
Does someone have like a big spike on the master from time to time like +20db or more. My ears are ok because I cannot hear it since REAPER master protection kicks in. Maybe it is only one bad bit or something. But I think it happens on only two projects I am starting to use ReEQ. I will have to test it more
Thank you for the awesome plugin !
I haven't experienced this. I'll look into it. Do you have AGC enabled when it happens? Any more detail you could provide would be helpful.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #222
nitsuj

Just an update for anyone still following this thread and using ReEQ.

I've been busy tidying up the code, getting into Github and preparing for ReaPack. Progress.

What I've been looking into recently is the possibility of adding dynamic EQ functionality to ReEQ. I was thing about making a compressor anyway but thought that some of a compressors functionality could go into ReEQ.

Looking at ReEQ code, I've become aware that JSFX can be very sensitive when sharing variables between the @block, @sample sections and the @slider, @gfx sections. In ReEQ's case, the filter variables are shared - the gfx section needs to draw and move filter nodes and the audio sections need to apply filters to incoming audio.

And here's the issue. I need to make sure that the audio section is using wholly calculated filters. It's possible for the filter to be halfway through having it's coefficients calculated when any of its attributes are altered (frequency, gain etc).

So, for any experienced JSFX folk here I'm asking what are the best or at least established paradigms for sharing variables between rendering and audio sections without having torn reads and/or writes?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #223
Eliseat

You could take a look at mrelwwoods dynamic eq. (Just search for his name.) I don't know if this exactly covers you idea but his DynEq works pretty well.

Edit: found his thread. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....light=mrelwood

Greetings
Eli
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #224
IXix

Quote:
So, for any experienced JSFX folk here I'm asking what are the best or at least established paradigms for sharing variables between rendering and audio sections without having torn reads and/or writes?
I'm not sure how best to use them but I think the atomic things will help you. Scroll down to the bottom of the page: http://reaper.fm/sdk/js/advfunc.php#js_advanced
IXix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #225
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
You could take a look at mrelwwoods dynamic eq. (Just search for his name.) I don't know if this exactly covers you idea but his DynEq works pretty well.

Edit: found his thread. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....light=mrelwood
Thanks for the link! Like those JSFX plugins, really cool. Doesn't hurt having more reference code for compressor behaviour. Seems to have based his compressor on the Stilwell 1175.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #226
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
I'm not sure how best to use them but I think the atomic things will help you. Scroll down to the bottom of the page: http://reaper.fm/sdk/js/advfunc.php#js_advanced
Yes, the solution may involve use of atomics. Thanks for the pointer.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #227
sai'ke

I just duplicate data (filter/shaper coeffs), that way, nobody is waiting for filter handoff and I don't need locking. When the UI changes something, I set a flag that the audio filters need updating, but the audio thread does this when it gets to it. The coeffs of the audio filter instance get updated in the audio thread only. And the gfx ones in the gfx thread only. Pseudo objects make this pretty easy. Can just reuse the same functions

Usually locking is best avoided when reasonably possible I think.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-22-2019 at 03:14 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #228
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
I just duplicate data (filter/shaper coeffs), that way, nobody is waiting for filter handoff and I don't need locking. When the UI changes something, I set a flag that the audio filters need updating, but the audio thread does this when it gets to it. The coeffs of the audio filter instance get updated in the audio thread only. And the gfx ones in the gfx thread only. Pseudo objects make this pretty easy. Can just reuse the same functions

Usually locking is best avoided when reasonably possible I think.
Duplicating is what I've been thinking about mainly to fix this. Problem is...when to duplicate? The audio filters need to duplicate the ones used for rendering. But in either the @slider or @gfx sections the code may be half way through updating the filter coefficients when the @sample or @block section runs and makes what is a torn copy/duplicate.

The way this issue became visible to me was by automating a filter node in ReEQ. The @slider section was updating filter coefficients but was getting interrupted by the @gfx section. The result was rendering anomalies.

Need to think about this a bit more and see if there's any information on Reaper's thread/concurrency in JSFX.

EDIT: I've solved the rendering issues by getting @slider to flag filter updates from slider values in @gfx only.
EDIT2: What was I thinking. This means that filter update via automation is sync'd to graphic updates which is a terrible idea. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by nitsuj; 03-25-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:10 AM   #229
Tale

Quote:
But in either the @slider or @gfx sections the code may be half way through updating the filter coefficients when the @sample or @block section runs and makes what is a torn copy/duplicate.
FWIW: I don't think @slider and @block/@sample run concurrently.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #230
sai'ke

Yeah, what Tale said. Personally, I have one instance (with a set of coeffs) for the gfx and one instance for the rest. A slider change flags both as being old and needing updating.

The audio one I update in @sample, the other one in @gfx.

One thing to also note is that if you wish to support sub-block accurate automation, you might want to have a look at slider_next_chg and such too (Not sure if you do already though).
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #231
nitsuj

Tale, sai'ke, thanks guys - this is very helpful.

I'm not using slider_next_chg at the moment but thanks for bringing it to my attention. It may be needed at some point.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #232
HDWind

Please add new values ​​at the bottom of the lines:

Please add three new vertical lines for: 12K,15K,16K and sign only one the value: "15K"

Last edited by HDWind; 03-30-2019 at 04:32 PM.
HDWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #233
cjewellstudios

Mapping this to a controller went very well, except for one particular parameter. Filter 2 Slope registered as a parameter but turning the controller did nothing. All of the other ones I tried worked well.

Since I last chimed in there have been a couple updates. Stellar job, man!
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #234
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWind View Post
Please add new values ​​at the bottom of the lines:

Please add three new vertical lines for: 12K,15K,16K and sign only one the value: "15K"
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll put it on the backlog to look at.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #235
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
Mapping this to a controller went very well, except for one particular parameter. Filter 2 Slope registered as a parameter but turning the controller did nothing. All of the other ones I tried worked well.

Since I last chimed in there have been a couple updates. Stellar job, man!
Yes, there's a bug there that I've fixed in my version. I've been reviewing and tightening up the filter smoothing code as part of the process to see if I can add dynamic EQ features. That won't come along soon - there's a lot to it - so once I've done this iteration of improvements I'll issue another release with the bug fix.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:17 AM   #236
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Yes, there's a bug there that I've fixed in my version. I've been reviewing and tightening up the filter smoothing code as part of the process to see if I can add dynamic EQ features. That won't come along soon - there's a lot to it - so once I've done this iteration of improvements I'll issue another release with the bug fix.

Great news!

I wanted to mention one more thing.

When controlling the Q settings with a controller, at the very top of the range (the widest settings) it makes quite big jumps. I do alot of mapping so it's not my controller settings or anything like that, Using the mouse scroll wheel it behaves as expected though. I dont know if that's something you can even change but I wanted to bring it up just in case.

EDIT:

I noticed the nodes disappear when the mouse is outside of the plugin window. Not a huge deal but in regards to using a controller it would be helpful to see what nodes you had and their approximate positions.

This is really amazing btw. It seems you have improved the plugin and reduced cpu usage as well.

Last edited by cjewellstudios; 04-05-2019 at 04:56 AM.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #237
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
When controlling the Q settings with a controller, at the very top of the range (the widest settings) it makes quite big jumps. I do alot of mapping so it's not my controller settings or anything like that, Using the mouse scroll wheel it behaves as expected though. I dont know if that's something you can even change but I wanted to bring it up just in case.

EDIT:

I noticed the nodes disappear when the mouse is outside of the plugin window. Not a huge deal but in regards to using a controller it would be helpful to see what nodes you had and their approximate positions.
Try the latest version as I've altered the mouse wheel Q smoothing. I'll give some thought to keeping the nodes visible when the mouse isn't over the window. I was aiming for having it so that the window is uncluttered when you're not hovering over it, but you've come up with a legitimate case for keeping the nodes visible.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #238
nitsuj

There's a new version of ReEQ available from the first page/post.

9th April 2019
* Add frequency to bottom of mouse crosshair
* Disabled nodes now show filter shape as a line (not filled)
* Improved node selection. Mouse now selects nearest node for info box and Q alteration
* Node info box now behaves better in terms of positioning and clamping to window side
* Improved filter smoothing when moving, enabling and disabling filter nodes
* Improved filter node Q sensitivity and smoothness when using mouse wheel
* Fixed graphic glitching when automating a band
* Fixed slider naming bug
* ANA (oversampling) mode now renamed to HQ (for High Quality)

More features and refinements planned.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #239
Paul Eye

I'm not sure if this happened in the latest update, but when loading a project only the 5 first bands/filters are active. Filters 6 and up show up on the graph but they don't actually do anything until you change some value on them.
Also, seems to be related that only filters 1-5 are in the parameter list (edit: yeah, that's explained in the first post).

Last edited by Paul Eye; 04-10-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Paul Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #240
nitsuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Eye View Post
I'm not sure if this happened in the latest update, but when loading a project only the 5 first bands/filters are active. Filters 6 and up show up on the graph but they don't actually do anything until you change some value on them.
Also, seems to be related that only filters 1-5 are in the parameter list (edit: yeah, that's explained in the first post).
Thanks for the bug report Paul. I'll fix that asap.

As to the first five filters being in the parameter list...it's a limitation of JSFX. It only provides 64 sliders and each filter takes up several. Multiply that up and you soon run out.

I exposed the first five so that at least some automation and/or controller assignment was possible.

If/when Justin&co increase the slider count I'll expose all of the filters. 256 or even 512 would be useful.