Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #41
pattste
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_After View Post
I am using Win8 64bit and 64bit Reaper. Please, make a simple test: make a track with some transient material (for eg. tambourine, claps, snaps, or anything similar) and use "batch file encoding. Leave channels and sample rate "as source". Do you hear artifacts? They are pretty obvious.
A simple click track rendered to MP3 using the suggested version of LAME in REAPER exhibits the problem here, no matter the settings. This is nothing new, I've been using REAPER since version 3.75 and I remember that I had the problem back then.

For what it's worth, I've just encoded the same click track using the LAME Front-End 1.8 app (which uses the latest version of LAME) and there was no issue. Either they have fixed the problem in the latest version or, more likely, there is a problem on the REAPER side (with the parameters passed to LAME).
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #42
dr_After

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Here are 5 percussion loops I rendered as wavs, and then converted to mp3 using the LAME encoder that Reaper linked me to. I have uploaded both the wavs and the mp3's for comparison.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pblnsxta3...3Ib3FN?v=0mcns

There ARE from prerecorded loops, I did not track them, so hopefully that does not "taint" the tests. They are very raw and from real sources though.
This my i5 Laptop, a mobile/backup DAW, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Reaper 64bit. I had my hearing checked pretty recently, and for being 48 years old and having performed in bands since I was 17, the person who tested me was shocked to tell me that I still has great hearing with very little frequency loss, even if I was much younger..... I am not hearing the artifacts in the mp3's. Can anyone tell me what i am missing??
Thank you. I will be able to hear it in the evening, and I will post also my results.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #43
LCipher

while we're on the LAME issue:

Why does REAPER tell you to put the LAME_ENC.DLL in the WRONG place? If you try to render and do not have the dll, it will tell you to download (gives a link to click on) and tells you to put it in userapps\reaper\plugins (or something close like that). And says "restart" REAPER.

When it only works if you put LAME_ENC.DLL in the REAPER ***program** directory. And you don't have to restart....

(this is on WinXP32)
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #44
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
while we're on the LAME issue:

Why does REAPER tell you to put the LAME_ENC.DLL in the WRONG place? If you try to render and do not have the dll, it will tell you to download (gives a link to click on) and tells you to put it in userapps\reaper\plugins (or something close like that). And says "restart" REAPER.

When it only works if you put LAME_ENC.DLL in the REAPER ***program** directory. And you don't have to restart....

(this is on WinXP32)
Weird. I've tried it in both locations and it worked fine, and I did require a restart each time. This is starting to seem like voodoo......
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #45
zdub

I'm a new user of Reaper (latest version) and just gave up on trying to encode to mp3. Using 64-bit. Tried putting lame_enc.dll into the reaper.exe directory, or userplugins, or renamed to lame_enc84.dll, or downloaded from different sites (latest one being 843,264 bytes). Nothing worked; I always got the error message about putting it into the (wrong) userplugins directory.
zdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #46
ValeryOrloff

Default Lame_enc x64

Hi all!
The dll from http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php works fine, but I don't know how to evaluate its advantage over the standard version ))
sounds the same )
look on screen shot, this is Win7 x64
Attached Images
File Type: png lame_enc.png (18.4 KB, 916 views)
ValeryOrloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #47
pattste

This is a pretty basic problem yet a few experienced Reaper users are experiencing difficulties. I know this is a user-supported forum but it would be nice once in a while if one of the devs would try to help.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #48
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeryOrloff View Post
Hi all!
The dll from http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php works fine, but I don't know how to evaluate its advantage over the standard version ))
sounds the same )
look on screen shot, this is Win7 x64
That one has never worked in my Reaper 64bit. 32bit does, but for 64bit my encoder has the "64.dll" on it, it's a slightly older version (which is fine as far as I'm concerned).
Old 12-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #49
MetalWarrior

Default HowTo: Use LAME 3.99.5 in x64 REAPER

Hey guys,

I have found a way to use the latest LAME 3.99.5 dll for x64 REAPER under Windows 7.

0. Close Reaper, first ;O)

1. If you have an older LAME dll, make a backup:
1.1. Copy lame_enc64.dll from "C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)" to somewhere else. Do not just rename it, REAPER gets confused, then.
1.2. Delete lame_enc64.dll from "C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)" after you made the backup.

2. Load the bundle "libmp3lame 3.99.5 => 64bit" from RareWares LAME Libraries:
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-libraries.php

3. The downloaded archive contains three files named "libmp3lame.dll", ~.exp, and ~.lib. Copy these files into "C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)".

4. Rename the three files:
4.0 Hint: Select all three files, then rename all together (pressing F2 key or right-click, then rename)
4.1. "libmp3lame.dll" to "lame_enc64.dll"
4.2. "libmp3lame.exp" to "lame_enc64.exp"
4.3. "libmp3lame.lib" to "lame_enc64.lib"

5. Start Reaper and test the MP3 export / render
5.1. If it works, remember the previous steps in case you need them for the next LAME version. Don't follow the steps 5.2 and 5.3, stop here ;O)
---
5.2. If it does not work, switch back to the old version: Delete the three new files, then copy your backup "lame_enc64.dll" back into the Reaper directory.
5.3. If you have lost your backup file, get LAME 3.98.3 from:
http://aegiscorp.free.fr/lame/

Hope this helps.
Greetz and have a nice Christmas altogether!

Michael

Last edited by MetalWarrior; 06-11-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: corrected download path from ...bundle.php to ...oibraries.php
MetalWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #50
JeffreyET

I'm gonna have to try some of these suggestions. After I switched to x64 a month ago, I noticed my MP3 renderings are sounding quite distorted. Since I was only using them to evaluate mix on different systems I didn't wonder about it, but now...
Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #51
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyET View Post
I'm gonna have to try some of these suggestions. After I switched to x64 a month ago, I noticed my MP3 renderings are sounding quite distorted. Since I was only using them to evaluate mix on different systems I didn't wonder about it, but now...
The lame version before the newest has worked flawlessly for me for a long time, in case you are just trying to get a working version.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #52
MetalWarrior

Hi Jeffrey, hi Richie.

My experience with the previous version of LAME (lame_enc64.dll v3.98.x) under Reaper x64 is:

- MP3 export with VBR (best target quality) worked fine,
- MP3 export with CBR (320 / best quality) produced massive distortion.

Well, it was rather destruction than distortion; right at the beginning, the drums have turned into some phaser effects, I even turned around to see where the alien attack came from!

Now, with the latest LAME version, exporting MP3 at CBR 320 kbps works fine.
So, in case you experience problems with MP3 export, as well, I really suggest you try libmp3lame v3.99.5. It's not much effort, and you can switch back any time, anyway.

Greetz,
Michael
Old 05-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #53
bassist36875

Default LAME MP3 ENCODER

I am using windows 8 and can't figure out how to get the download to the folder it needs to be in to be seen by reaper
bassist36875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #54
zdub

I just don't get why Reaper, alone out of every other program I've used with LAME, requires a special version for it to work.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #55
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdub View Post
I just don't get why Reaper, alone out of every other program I've used with LAME, requires a special version for it to work.
I have whatever stock LAME version I found, and it works for me. I think I got it from a link found in Reaper when I first tried rendering an mp3 with no LAME installed. What version are you using?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #56
zdub

I went through the whole Reaper/mp3 rigamarole a while back, couldn't get it to work until folks here pointed me to a specific lame dll to use (which is likely the one you are using also since you said it was mentioned in a reaper link.)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #57
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdub View Post
I went through the whole Reaper/mp3 rigamarole a while back, couldn't get it to work until folks here pointed me to a specific lame dll to use. As has been mentioned in this thread as well...
Ok then.... I just used the one linked in Reaper, and it has worked for me on 4 different machines. I guess I'm lucky then.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:35 AM   #58
Mr. PC

3.99.5 is still the latest version, yes? Hasn't been updated in 5 years? Must say, that's a bit lame.

I was looking for something new, like, 3d encoding at least.

For some reason the ReaLink isn't working for me (I'm trying to Readownload LAME).

Any reason not to use this?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lame/files/

Or this link linked from the LAME website?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...ce=top3_dlp_t5

The first link is super small. So is one a virus?
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #59
MetalWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
3.99.5 is still the latest version, yes? Hasn't been updated in 5 years? Must say, that's a bit lame.

I was looking for something new, like, 3d encoding at least.

For some reason the ReaLink isn't working for me (I'm trying to Readownload LAME).

Any reason not to use this?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lame/files/

Or this link linked from the LAME website?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lam...ce=top3_dlp_t5

The first link is super small. So is one a virus?
Hi Mr.PC

Reason not to use this: It is source code only, as far as I can tell.
So, unless you want to compile it yourself, I'd say download the DLL (see my posts above).

Virus: No, don't worry. Sourceforge is a site where developers can upload their projects. If in doubt, look for an MD5 hash (checksum), then download the project, calculate an MD5 on your own and compare both checksums.

Hope that helps and is not too... geeky
Much fun \m/
Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #60
Mr. PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWarrior View Post
Hi Mr.PC

Reason not to use this: It is source code only, as far as I can tell.
So, unless you want to compile it yourself, I'd say download the DLL (see my posts above).

Virus: No, don't worry. Sourceforge is a site where developers can upload their projects. If in doubt, look for an MD5 hash (checksum), then download the project, calculate an MD5 on your own and compare both checksums.

Hope that helps and is not too... geeky
Much fun \m/
Ok. I did it. Thanks!
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 AM   #61
thetreehunter

Default Render for MP3 Why so difficult?

Why can I not get the thing to render to MP3? I have downloaded this version of LAME thta version Etc. I have copied files to many of the said folders. Still not working? Any ideas gratefully received, thanks
thetreehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #62
skippertag

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetreehunter View Post
Why can I not get the thing to render to MP3? I have downloaded this version of LAME thta version Etc. I have copied files to many of the said folders. Still not working? Any ideas gratefully received, thanks
As said in the other post... you don't need that user plugin anymore as the copyright for the mp3 converter ended.

The dll is now part of the REAPER installer download. You can find the dll in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins..
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:40 AM   #63
Bassman1

skippertag, does that mean we need to uninstall / remove old LAME we added noe it is part of the install?

Also I have ffmeg in that folder you mentioned above, along with a folder I added to get mpegs to show. Can that be removed also?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #64
Michael AD

Can someone clarify - does the current 5.4 version of Reaper allow me to create an MP3 file? (Reaper itself, not with the Lame add-on.)

I thought it was the upcoming version of Reaper that would feature a built-in copy-right free MP3 encoder.

Anyone know? Thanks...
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #65
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
Can someone clarify - does the current 5.4 version of Reaper allow me to create an MP3 file? (Reaper itself, not with the Lame add-on.)

I thought it was the upcoming version of Reaper that would feature a built-in copy-right free MP3 encoder.

Anyone know? Thanks...
5.40 does not, but a version released sometime this year will!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #66
skippertag

As the copyright for the mp3 encoder has ended, it is no longer necessary to install the lame as a user plugin.

The lame....dll is now part of the original REAPER installer..it's best to delete any Lame ... User Plugin

oooopsss--- 5.40 I don't know...I'm using the latest Beta....sorry guys...

bloody Frankie...sorry.. it comes with the new built

v5.50repre4 - August 15 2017
+ Actions: auto-consistify action name capitalization on non-localized strings
+ FX: add ReaCast, shoutcast/icecast source plug-in
+ JSFX: spectral_hold has mix-in and auto-update options to allow some spectral smearing capabilities
+ LAME: bundle libmp3lame 3.99.5

Last edited by skippertag; 09-06-2017 at 09:01 AM.
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #67
Bassman1

OK Thank you for the information.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #68
Rusty Falcon

Good to know thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertag View Post
As the copyright for the mp3 encoder has ended, it is no longer necessary to install the lame as a user plugin.

The lame....dll is now part of the original REAPER installer..it's best to delete any Lame ... User Plugin

oooopsss--- 5.40 I don't know...I'm using the latest Beta....sorry guys...

bloody Frankie...sorry.. it comes with the new built

v5.50repre4 - August 15 2017
+ Actions: auto-consistify action name capitalization on non-localized strings
+ FX: add ReaCast, shoutcast/icecast source plug-in
+ JSFX: spectral_hold has mix-in and auto-update options to allow some spectral smearing capabilities
+ LAME: bundle libmp3lame 3.99.5
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote