COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 11-20-2017, 02:00 AM   #1
earlevel
Human being with feelings

Default Studio One 3 and VST

My plugin works in almost every host I've tried, AAX/AU/VST2/VST3, Mac/PC. Except Studio One 3 VST/VST3, at least on Mac (Studio One 3 has crippling performance issues on my Win10 VM, can't test; I think the report was VST3 failed there too). If I instantiate VST(2), the plugin works, but if I remove the plugin and save, crash. VST3 works too, but the crash comes immediately when I remove it. AU works fine.

It seems that it's an IPlug issue, because Youlean loudness Meter BETA has exactly the same issues.

Obviously, Studio One 3 is a bit picky in general—it complains about many plugs (from iZotope, Native Instruments...), although it seems to run them fine on a quick check.

Any ideas, comments?
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:36 AM   #2
Youlean

Have not yet tried it but it seems that Andi fixed that.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ghlight=studio

EDIT: Or maybe there should be more work to be done...
Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #3
stw

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel View Post
My plugin works in almost every host I've tried, AAX/AU/VST2/VST3, Mac/PC. Except Studio One 3 VST/VST3, at least on Mac (Studio One 3 has crippling performance issues on my Win10 VM, can't test; I think the report was VST3 failed there too). If I instantiate VST(2), the plugin works, but if I remove the plugin and save, crash. VST3 works too, but the crash comes immediately when I remove it. AU works fine.

It seems that it's an IPlug issue, because Youlean loudness Meter BETA has exactly the same issues.

Obviously, Studio One 3 is a bit picky in general—it complains about many plugs (from iZotope, Native Instruments...), although it seems to run them fine on a quick check.

Any ideas, comments?
Just installed it to see what it does to my current plug.
Got tons of errors with plugs working fine in other hosts. So yes, that proggy seems to be somewhat picky
To my surprise my plug seems to work fine in all formats. At least for some short testing especially your mentioned issues.
Tried only the Mac version.
stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
Have not yet tried it but it seems that Andi fixed that.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ghlight=studio

EDIT: Or maybe there should be more work to be done...
Ah, thanks. I knew I had seen that before ("...reporting too many channels..."), but couldn't find it. It doesn't help that the search feature of this forum apparently doesn't like real short search strings (search for posts with "VST"—none found), and that it doesn't observe quoted strings ("Studio One" will find every instance of the words studio and one—a lot of posts unrelated to Studio one). Yes, I tried google search too, but the problem is that there is not way to confine it to this forum, so many Reaper discussions of Studio One and VST.

I should have mentioned that I only support 64-bit, so the symptoms I described aren't for 32-bit plugins.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
Youlean

Quote:
Ah, thanks. I knew I had seen that before ("...reporting too many channels..."), but couldn't find it. It doesn't help that the search feature of this forum apparently doesn't like real short search strings (search for posts with "VST"—none found), and that it doesn't observe quoted strings ("Studio One" will find every instance of the words studio and one—a lot of posts unrelated to Studio one). Yes, I tried google search too, but the problem is that there is not way to confine it to this forum, so many Reaper discussions of Studio One and VST.

I should have mentioned that I only support 64-bit, so the symptoms I described aren't for 32-bit plugins.
Indeed, search is terrible here...
Saving problem is probably in the serialize state function...
Old 11-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
earlevel

Quote:
Oh, good point...
Old 11-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
earlevel

Quote:
Hi, Youlean. OK, didn't have time to follow up then, but could you elaborate?

To be clear, the VST and VST3 crashes occur only in Studio One 3. The crash occurs when I add my plugin to a project, remove it from the project, and save.

Further, I don't override or otherwise use serialize state functions directly. I just use the default behavior. My AAX version supports factory-bundled presets included with the plugin, but for AU/VST/VST3, the user is on his own, relying on the native patch and state saving of the host.

Do you still think it's the serial state function, and do you have a particular reason or knowledge of that problem?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
Youlean

Quote:
Hi, Youlean. OK, didn't have time to follow up then, but could you elaborate?

To be clear, the VST and VST3 crashes occur only in Studio One 3. The crash occurs when I add my plugin to a project, remove it from the project, and save.

Further, I don't override or otherwise use serialize state functions directly. I just use the default behavior. My AAX version supports factory-bundled presets included with the plugin, but for AU/VST/VST3, the user is on his own, relying on the native patch and state saving of the host.

Do you still think it's the serial state function, and do you have a particular reason or knowledge of that problem?

Thanks!
You are right, it shouldn't be serialize state function. It look more like plugin was not cleaned properly... First thing to try is to test IPlugEffect when it comes to this, but I guess it will crash too. I have not yet looked at this issue on mac since my macbook is currently on repair, but it should be ready next week to test. Try attaching it XCode and see what it says.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
Youlean

Also if you have not yet done it, you need to update base and lice projects (i think) on mac since it has broken deployment target settings and if you target version other than SDK you will get occasionally some weird crashes on older systems. Look at my fork for that. I also had problem with AU and multichannel so you can look for that too if you need it.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
earlevel

Quote:
Also if you have not yet done it, you need to update base and lice projects (i think) on mac since it has broken deployment target settings and if you target version other than SDK you will get occasionally some weird crashes on older systems. Look at my fork for that. I also had problem with AU and multichannel so you can look for that too if you need it.
OK, but... to be clear, your plugin has the same behavior—both V1.0.5 and V1.5.0 beta, from your website. But maybe you know that and have made changes to you IPlug fork, not reflected in those older loudness meter builds?

PS—OK, I guess you were saying earlier you didn't have your Mac right now, and expected it might crash too—buff said...I'll debug it this weekend.

Last edited by earlevel; 11-22-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #11
HoRNet

Studio one since 3.5 hasn't played well with IPlug.

I have quite a bit of bugs open for studio one usually VST2 work fine but VST3 has problems.

Honestly i have an old VST3 sdk so i thought this was the cause, also i still build with Visual Studio 2013 (to make sure XP is still correctly supported, you can't imagine how many customers ask for XP or mac 10.6 compatibility, yesterday i had a complain that one of our plugin doesn't run on PT9)

Oh btw our issues are on windows, i don't remember having them on mac.

I promise i'll dig into it when i find some time (but i have to sync my IPlug branch completely with youlean's first, actually is sort of frankenstein branch i cannot pull from youlean's or oli branch without having major merge issues...)

Saverio
HoRNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
I have quite a bit of bugs open for studio one usually VST2 work fine but VST3 has problems.
I see a lot of issues with VST2 on Mac...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 12.33.28 AM.jpg (62.6 KB, 507 views)

Last edited by earlevel; 11-25-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
earlevel

Update: My IPlug VST/VST3 plug-in seems to work fine on Studio One 4. Interestingly, Studio One 3 now works fine too (I suppose a conflicting component was updated by the S1v4 install).