Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 08-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Emmett_Brown
Human being with feelings

Default Hear my latest Reaper mix, with analog summing

Hi everybody,

I just finished mixing this song in Reaper, using 8 channel analog summing. I like how it turned out overall. Take a listen and see if you like it as well: https://choon.co/tracks/36apzvkjej/out-of-love

I use a pretty inexpensive method of passive summing, combined with my tracking preamps to bring it back to line level, and back into Reaper. Some people claim analog summing is just snake oil or placebo. I find it makes it easier for me to mix, and gives me a little bigger of a sweet spot when managing levels. I also find it increases space in the mix. Now I find that I don't want to mix without it. Your feedback is welcomed. Thanks, Chuck

Last edited by Emmett_Brown; 08-24-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Emmett_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
mcmike

It sounds good and punchy. Can you tell us what you used for summing?
mcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
tonybeepbeep

A real early 80s/post punk feel for me there and sounds like it was on vinyl too. reminds me of a mate who listened to John Peel on the radio and tried to convert me away from metal to the indie/alternative music of the time.

I like it.
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Emmett_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmike View Post
It sounds good and punchy. Can you tell us what you used for summing?
Thanks for listening, and thanks for the compliment. I use a simple passive 8 channel summing box by a company called Vintage Maker. I take my 4 stereo groups (Vox, GTR, Bass, Drums) out into the summing box. I take the L and R output from the summing box, and run them back into my UAD Apollo 8P. Lately I use the new Neve 1290 unison preamps. But you can use any preamp, depending on the color you want to go for. I used to use a pair of Rupert Neve 511 preamps, and it worked nicely also.

Last edited by Emmett_Brown; 08-27-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Emmett_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
A real early 80s/post punk feel for me there and sounds like it was on vinyl too. reminds me of a mate who listened to John Peel on the radio and tried to convert me away from metal to the indie/alternative music of the time.

I like it.
Cool, thanks for listening, glad you like it!
Old 08-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
fred garvin

Nice! I really like the style. Had to pull up Unguarded Moment and just have a moment lol. The VM site is super interesting, what unit do you have?
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #7
Emmett_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
Nice! I really like the style. Had to pull up Unguarded Moment and just have a moment lol. The VM site is super interesting, what unit do you have?
Cool, thanks for listening!

I just have the Vintage Maker Little One 8 channel. I think it is the smallest and simplest one they make. I would like to try 16 channels, but I think the results might only be marginally better... I think there is a lot of benefit to 8 channels of summing, and probably only incrementally better as you add channels.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
Not_Here

Fantastic! Why am I not hearing this on the radio? Very well done. Great vibe to the mix. I like the open sound, everything has a nice space. Would be great to crank to 11, windows down, while waiting at the stop light!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
Emmett_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Fantastic! Why am I not hearing this on the radio? Very well done. Great vibe to the mix. I like the open sound, everything has a nice space. Would be great to crank to 11, windows down, while waiting at the stop light!
Thanks for listening, and thanks for the kind words! The windows down at the stop light comment made everyone in the band smile!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:59 AM   #10
Emmett_Brown

A little more info about the summing thing... for me, summing is not about massive amounts of analog mojo... it is more subtle, but definitely beneficial. Here is what I like about it:

- You get a little more headroom. What I mean is before summing, I had challenges with mixes becoming too loud too quickly. Small moves of faders seemed to add up really fast and overload the master fader, at least for the way that I mix. With summing, I get a little more cushion. It's hard to describe, but you know it when you experience it.
- Likewise, the sound is a little more clear to me... mixes seem less congested.
- Using passive summing, you can choose whichever preamps you like to bring the signal back up to line level, and when doing so, if you have outboard compressors or EQ's, you can run through them as well... giving you the opportunity to color the signal however you choose
- On a more nerdy note... it's fun! I like routing signals and tweaking knobs.

Do you need summing? Nope. You can make great mixes without it. For me, it is more comfortable, and I find the sound I am looking for much faster.

Here is another song where I used the same technique: https://choon.co/tracks/21scmgjg1s/atomic-kid

Last edited by Emmett_Brown; 09-04-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
msundh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Fantastic! Why am I not hearing this on the radio?
It's not the 80's

I really like this!!!
I was in my 20th in the 80's, so this is pure nostalgia to me.
never the less, this is good.
Your voice is perfect for this kind of music.
Great variation in the arrangement, perfect amount of dirt in the mix.
LIKE!!