Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #81
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

Here's a reality check:

you're not going to find Reaper discussed or reviewed in any of the tabloids, because Justin does not give them any ad revenue.

There's also always going to be Mysterious Brick Walls erected when near such edifices, for the same reason.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #82
Sonic_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
http://www.cockos.com/std/

also, having had a look around at some of these forums, it seems to be mostly Sonar users that hate it the most!
As a Sonar user, who's giving Reaper a try, I can tell you why...

There has been a real assult over there from over-zealous Reaper users. I personally don't care what DAW people choose. It's not a religious choice for me =) In fact, I see Reaper as a great thing for the industry. It's going to keep the other players honest with such a powerful app breathing down their necks at such a good price. I'm probably going to run both Reaper and Sonar for a while and see which one "feel right" after a few months.

But, the one sure way to make enemies, is to run down their DAW of choice. It would make much more sense to post on platform-neutral forums. And if you must post on competing forums, be a little more polite.

I now have a foot in both camps, so I guess I have to be polite to everyone
Old 02-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #83
Bevosss

Here's a thread on KVR I started about ReaInsert that hasn't degenerated yet...it almost seems respectful?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169180
Old 02-21-2007, 02:31 AM   #84
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Hero View Post
As a Sonar user, who's giving Reaper a try, I can tell you why...

There has been a real assult over there from over-zealous Reaper users. I personally don't care what DAW people choose. It's not a religious choice for me =) In fact, I see Reaper as a great thing for the industry. It's going to keep the other players honest with such a powerful app breathing down their necks at such a good price. I'm probably going to run both Reaper and Sonar for a while and see which one "feel right" after a few months.

But, the one sure way to make enemies, is to run down their DAW of choice. It would make much more sense to post on platform-neutral forums. And if you must post on competing forums, be a little more polite.

I now have a foot in both camps, so I guess I have to be polite to everyone
I read that last encounter right through, and apart from the over-enthusiastic initial poster, most of the dramas came from a few Sonar users posting mis-truths about Reaper's capabilities and exaggerating things...like claiming we were gloating about it here? Utter BS.

This forums more relaxed than any I've been on and I'm sure Sonar usually is too...most of the Sonar abuse was coming from their own members...not really 'Reaper Warriors" (wtf) Dual users I guess you'd call them.

Anyway, you are right we shouldn't get into daw dualing wars especially on other daws home turf...I can see how it's hard to resist posting though when you see some of the bs passed off as facts about Reaper (I did resist this time, ha).
Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #85
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
I read that last encounter right through, and apart from the over-enthusiastic initial poster, most of the dramas came from a few Sonar users posting mis-truths about Reaper's capabilities and exaggerating things...like claiming we were gloating about it here? Utter BS.

This forums more relaxed than any I've been on and I'm sure Sonar usually is too...most of the Sonar abuse was coming from their own members...not really 'Reaper Warriors" (wtf) Dual users I guess you'd call them.

Anyway, you are right we shouldn't get into daw dualing wars especially on other daws home turf...I can see how it's hard to resist posting though when you see some of the bs passed off as facts about Reaper (I did resist this time, ha).
I could have said it better myself, that totally says it.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:47 AM   #86
nicholas
Scribe

Default Hum Ho ....

Sit back and watch the feathers fly :

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=989500
Old 03-04-2007, 02:56 AM   #87
Art Evans
Mortal

They don't need to, I would have thought - the poster has indicated that his (?) reason to switch is a fairly local issue. But I'm not sure that I would have posted at all on the matter - maybe I would have just quietly walked away. Each to his own.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #88
sstillwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Sit back and watch the feathers fly :

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=989500
http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=989584

Now THIS is one reason why NOT to be posting like that on other fora. When the CTO (Chief Technology Officer, for those not up on TLA-speak) feels the need to tell you to go somewhere else to post, you've definitely worn out your welcome.

It's THEIR forum, guys...they pay for the servers and the bandwidth. ANY off-topic speech at such a site lives purely at THEIR whim. Wanna bitch about Sonar over there? Feel free. Wanna tell the world how much you love REAPER? Come here or at least go to a vendor-neutral site to do it. Bragging on REAPER at Cakewalk's site (or Steinberg's, or Mackie's, or Magix') is NOT cool...even if it's written in an "objective" style.

I don't think it would go over well here if people started bagging on REAPER and telling us how they dumped it for product X, Y, or Z (however unlikely that is).

Are the other companies starting to feel threatened by REAPER? Quite possibly. You know they have to be watching... Does that mean you have to shove it in their face? NO.

/me really not wanting to get peoples' noses out of joint, but getting tired of REAPER users starting to be looked at as the loud obnoxious uncles of the DAW world...

Scott
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #89
Empty Planet

I contributed some unabashed Reaper idolatry to this one at Gearslutz....

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=112458

It demanded a list of features worthy of causing one to jump ship, and as I had recently done this (from Cubase), I thought it a fun challenge. It devolved into a platform war (at least so far) -- if you can believe those still happen -- but it was nice to get clear in my mind why I'm digging the Reapster so much.

Also think it's good to let people know that features such as Reaper's routing aren't something that audio app users should just assume somehow isn't possible, and go blindly on accepting those kinds of limitations.

Blah blah blah...

Cheers all.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #90
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=989584

Now THIS is one reason why NOT to be posting like that on other fora. When the CTO (Chief Technology Officer, for those not up on TLA-speak) feels the need to tell you to go somewhere else to post, you've definitely worn out your welcome.

It's THEIR forum, guys...they pay for the servers and the bandwidth. ANY off-topic speech at such a site lives purely at THEIR whim. Wanna bitch about Sonar over there? Feel free. Wanna tell the world how much you love REAPER? Come here or at least go to a vendor-neutral site to do it. Bragging on REAPER at Cakewalk's site (or Steinberg's, or Mackie's, or Magix') is NOT cool...even if it's written in an "objective" style.

I don't think it would go over well here if people started bagging on REAPER and telling us how they dumped it for product X, Y, or Z (however unlikely that is).

Are the other companies starting to feel threatened by REAPER? Quite possibly. You know they have to be watching... Does that mean you have to shove it in their face? NO.

/me really not wanting to get peoples' noses out of joint, but getting tired of REAPER users starting to be looked at as the loud obnoxious uncles of the DAW world...

Scott
Well spoken Scott, and I agree. The post made on the SONAR forum is totally pathetic, childish, and serves no purpose other than trolling and to provide further proof that Reaper users are trolls, children, and fanboys.

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #91
xackley

bumping a thread for any reason puts it back in the spotlight.
I was about to list in Snr forum a few plusses for Snr, but didn't when I saw Noel's post. But it is strange that there has never been a post like Noel's in any x vs y threads before. Usually the only post from CW in those thread is to reprimand for name calling.

Edit: zngle nailed it, boy is he on the shitlist now. maybe a peg higher than me. I really like SNR, but often wonder.

Last edited by xackley; 03-04-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #92
alex zonder

Don't judge so easily. Cause on the other hand: that link to the SONAR forum tells me Bulls hit is a silver member who as a Cakewalk user has regularly been posting there. If he now says goodbye to Cakewalk and takes the time and effort to explain why he's doing so: what is so wrong with that?

He's not a REAPER user entering that forum to brag around. He certainly doesn't act like a troll or a... - I find it rather amazing that some guys here seem to believe that dickheads like KVR's ttoz make sense with their 'fanboys' talk. Better read these suckers' contributions carefully. It is someone like ttoz who in a critical thread on Cubase 4 will simply contribute: 'Cubase 4 rocks!'. It's SO easy to see how other apps' fanboys negatively project their singlemindedness on people paying attention to the qualities of REAPER.

I do agree with Scott on not entering other companies' forums to bluntly tell everybody how great REAPER is. But AFAIK posting in many of these forums is restricted to registered company users.

Last edited by alex zonder; 03-04-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #93
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xackley View Post
bumping a thread for any reason puts it back in the spotlight.
I was about to list in Snr forum a few plusses for Snr, but didn't when I saw Noel's post. But it is strange that there has never been a post like Noel's in any x vs y threads before. Usually the only post from CW in those thread is to reprimand for name calling.

Edit: zngle nailed it, boy is he on the shitlist now. maybe a peg higher than me. I really like SNR, but often wonder.
Actually, up until now, the CW staff has been pretty tolerant of the Reaper fanboy posts on THEIR forum. They have responded in these threads in a respectful manner and I have always been impressed by that, because it shows character. Looks like things may have changed now...

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #94
sstillwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon View Post
Well spoken Scott, and I agree. The post made on the SONAR forum is totally pathetic, childish, and serves no purpose other than trolling and to provide further proof that Reaper users are trolls, children, and fanboys.

-mr moon
Well, I don't agree that his post was "pathetic, childish and serves no purpose other than trolling...". He was very factual. The thing is, it would have served just as well to say "I'm leaving, and here's the flaws in Sonar that are forcing the issue: <insert list of flaws>" No need to bring REAPER into it at all...he could have been going to Cubase, Samplitude, Nuendo, freakin' N-Track Studio for all it matters.

Just wanted to clear that up. Bulls Hit has posted very clearly in the past, and I don't want to discourage him from posting in the future.

Scott
Old 03-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #95
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstillwell View Post
Well, I don't agree that his post was "pathetic, childish and serves no purpose other than trolling...". He was very factual. The thing is, it would have served just as well to say "I'm leaving, and here's the flaws in Sonar that are forcing the issue: <insert list of flaws>" No need to bring REAPER into it at all...he could have been going to Cubase, Samplitude, Nuendo, freakin' N-Track Studio for all it matters.

Just wanted to clear that up. Bulls Hit has posted very clearly in the past, and I don't want to discourage him from posting in the future.

Scott
While the CONTENT may have been factual, the CONTEXT (where it was posted) make it a troll post. Had the post been made on the forum here, I would have thought, "wow, that guy digs Reaper, cool!" But because it was posted on SONAR's own user forum, it is nothing more than a troll post, regardless of the accuracy of the content.

Of course, this is just my opinion, YMMV.

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #96
Bulls Hit

Quote:

-mr moon
The purpose of the post in the Sonar forum was to point out that Cakewalk haven't yet managed to do what Justin & co. have achieved with respect to UAD cards. I don't see any problem in letting Cakewalk know that. It's just customer feedback.

I can understand people have their preferences. I like Cakewalk's approach and still use their products, but any sequencing s/w is only a means to an end, not an end in itself. If an app won't integrate with my hardware, I'll try to find an app that does. And right now Reaper is the one
Old 03-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #97
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
The purpose of the post in the Sonar forum was to point out that Cakewalk haven't yet managed to do what Justin & co. have achieved with respect to UAD cards. I don't see any problem in letting Cakewalk know that. It's just customer feedback.

I can understand people have their preferences. I like Cakewalk's approach and still use their products, but any sequencing s/w is only a means to an end, not an end in itself. If an app won't integrate with my hardware, I'll try to find an app that does. And right now Reaper is the one
I agree. Seems to me that Noel Borthwick's comment in particular was a severe over-reaction (as were some others). Obviously your post touched a raw nerve, I suspect wounded pride - Cake have been struggling with this UAD thing for ages and unable to lick it.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #98
pipelineaudio
Mortal

cake may have by now realized they missed a giant part of the exodus of vegas users, who were initally eyeing sonar, but now have gone to reaper

THAT would be a raw nerve indeed

And all they needed for the most part to turn the tide would have been mouse wheel zoom lol

But now, too late, were spoiled by the speed of reaper and its interaction with the user base
Old 03-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #99
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

-mr moon
you are going to judge an entire userbase by the post of one person, you are truly childish.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #100
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex zonder View Post

- I find it rather amazing that some guys here seem to believe that dickheads like KVR's ttoz make sense with their 'fanboys' talk. Better read these suckers' contributions carefully. It is someone like ttoz who in a critical thread on Cubase 4 will simply contribute: 'Cubase 4 rocks!'. It's SO easy to see how other apps' fanboys negatively project their singlemindedness on people paying attention to the qualities of REAPER. .
i have seen this actual post by ttoz and the double standard is amusing.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #101
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
you are going to judge an entire userbase by the post of one person, you are truly childish.
I never said that I wasn't childish, my caustic youngster, but that's a topic for another day. However, rest assured that I'm not basing any of my opinions about this or any other forum based on the posts of one person, but I appreciate your concerns!

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #102
mr. moon

Quote:

The context and delivery is what I take issue with, not your content. I think Noel had the right to get a bit pissy because you called him out in his own house, or whatever the correct slang would be, after all, it IS Cakewalk's forum, and you bashed their product pretty effectively.

I mean really, what were your motives posting a message like that? Were you trying to get some help with a product, or bash SONAR? ...I think that's why Noel jumped all over it.

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #103
Bulls Hit

Well I wouldn't say I bashed Sonar. I thought the post was pretty objective and even handed.

As far as getting help with the product, I've been down that path. I was a beta tester for the version of the wrapper that was supposed to solve all the uad issues. To be fair to Cakewalk, they made an effort to fix the thing but at the end of the day it still doesn't work properly. When I've paid for their s/w, what am I supposed to do, just sit back and say 'Oh well'?

The thread is definitely a dig at Cakewalk and their technical capability. Maybe it will prod them into doing something about it.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #104
mr. moon

Quote:
The thread is definitely a dig at Cakewalk and their technical capability. Maybe it will prod them into doing something about it.
No it won't, and that's why I'm in the process of moving to Reaper as my primary DAW. IMHO, Cakewalk have jumped on the "flash and bloat" bandwagon and no longer are striving for function above flash. Perhaps this is why their developers are jumping ship (see job posting for a developer at the SONAR forum)?

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #105
alex zonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. moon
IMHO, Cakewalk have jumped on the "flash and bloat" bandwagon and no longer are striving for function above flash. Perhaps this is why their developers are jumping ship (see job posting for a developer at the SONAR forum)?

-mr moon
mr. moon, please, no bashing of the neighbours in our humble house
Old 03-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #106
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex zonder View Post
mr. moon, please, no bashing of the neighbours in our humble house
OK. Point taken. My apologies.

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #107
teej813

i like that we can discuss things openly and honestly here without personally attacking anyone. makes this the type of place that folks wanna hang at, ya know?

nicely done, alex, and thanks, Moon for understanding. glad to have you and Bulls both here.

teej
Old 03-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #108
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej813 View Post
i like that we can discuss things openly and honestly here without personally attacking anyone. makes this the type of place that folks wanna hang at, ya know?

nicely done, alex, and thanks, Moon for understanding. glad to have you and Bulls both here.

teej
screw you teej
Old 03-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #109
Bevosss

You sensitive bastard...sorry tj but I couldn't stop laughing at Jas then :lol:

Oh tj those knobs are the bomb, you should get Justin to include them.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #110
teej813

whoa.. wait a sec, Jason. i was quite sincere. this forum has become home for me, and i'm glad that, as a general rule, folks treat each other here with respect.

i wasn't slamming anybody, certainly not you. Nor was i trying to be sarcastic.

this whole communication thing on the net is sometimes hard, ya know?

teej
Old 03-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #111
teej813

heh.. is he pullin' my leg? please tell me he's pullin' my leg. can't for the life of me figure why he'd think i was slammin' him.

jason!???

Thanks for the compliment, B. I've taken my time on my theme, having redone it / tweaked it many times over the past couple months. Justin made an open invitation to have themes included in the distro. When i'm happy with Shark, i'll ask him to include it.

teej
Old 03-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #112
Justin
Administrator

teej that post did look like a joke.. but I think he forgot to add a or something... ?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #113
Bevosss

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment, B. I've taken my time on my theme, having redone it / tweaked it many times over the past couple months. Justin made an open invitation to have themes included in the distro. When i'm happy with Shark, i'll ask him to include it.

teej
How about just the knobs? they look sick in my theme.

Yeah I'm sure Jas is kidding
Old 03-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #114
teej813

Justin,
i hope so. i'll feel better when he sends that my way!

JB was one of the first here to welcome me, and i consider him a friend... enjoyed working with him on the wiki and stuff, and i'd feel bad if i offended him.

B,
It's the buttons i've spent time tweaking. The color theme hasn't changed much recently. But i've redone all the buttons several times in the past few weeks. When it's 'done', i'll holler. In the meantime, the latest version is always available in my Peas, Sugar, and Grapes thread.

teej

Last edited by teej813; 03-04-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #115
Bevosss

Quote:

B,
It's the buttons i've spent time tweaking. The color theme hasn't changed much recently. But i've redone all the buttons several times in the past few weeks. When it's 'done', i'll holler. In the meantime, the latest version is always available in my Peas, Sugar, and Grapes thread.

teej
Hey TeeJ, is there an easy way to change the colour of the buttons? I want to match my blue theme, which is:

Hue:140
Sat:240
Lum:150

Just asking, thanks

*not the dark ones, they sit nice, just the gold ones.

Last edited by Bevosss; 03-04-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #116
Jae.Thomas

lol I knew i should have put a

of course i was playin teej

youre post was all about kindness and good will after all ... lol

I thought it would be assumed!!

hehe
Old 03-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #117
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
lol I knew i should have put a

of course i was playin teej

youre post was all about kindness and good will after all ... lol

I thought it would be assumed!!

hehe
Time to cook up a "East Coast Humor Translation" package, methinks. We Midwesterners often have a hard time "understanding" and/or "recognizing" such statements as humor ...we're too nice, as it were. You betcha', or somethinglikethatdonchaknow?

Now, I'll cover my own buttocks with a " "

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #118
mr. moon

Quote:

teej

Let me guess, the hippies made you write that last sentence, huh? Dam hippies!! They take the hate out of everything...

-mr moon
Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #119
teej813

B,
Easy way? Not that i know of. I've been doing it manually using a coloring tool in the Gimp. I've been using the grey ones as a template and picking different hues trying to find something that works.

i'd guess that the color figures you posted would differ from program to program... maybe not, i dunno.

If you have PhotoShop, you might wanna read the Drivel Theme thread in the color themes forum. eMaRe posted a plugin for PS that lets it read ICO files. He also mentions using a PS script to batch process a bunch of icons at the same time. Since i've been changing designs, this hasn't worked for me. But if all you're doing is color changes, it might be worth checking out.

JB,
heh.. now that i know you were teasing, i can say that your post was quite hilarious. in comedy, timing is everything, and your timing was great.

moon,
we could definately use a translator. sometimes, subtle ideas (like humor) can be difficult on the net.

hippies... haha. do they still exist?

teej
Old 03-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #120
alex zonder

Quote:

hippies... haha. do they still exist?

teej
According to The Times, the Natural History Museum in London has an option on Mr. David Warren, seen here on the left

Closed Thread