Old 04-23-2018, 04:22 AM   #1
Mr. PC
Human being with feelings

Default Custom building acoustic guitars

Anyone custom build guitars? Right now I've got a Taylor GS mini, which was a gift, so I hate to replace, but because of my wrist injury, I really need electric guitar action (which I thought the GS mini would have based on reviews).

I read that floating bridges kill tone, so maybe that's a no-go for acoustics. But could I e.g keep my GS mini body, replace the neck with a 3/4 size well-tempered neck, sand the bridge down super low. Gut the insides and add my own pickup (since the GS mini pickup hums constantly by design).

Are these reasonable modifications? Could the end result give me an electric guitar feel?
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
Anyone custom build guitars? Right now I've got a Taylor GS mini, which was a gift, so I hate to replace, but because of my wrist injury, I really need electric guitar action (which I thought the GS mini would have based on reviews).

I read that floating bridges kill tone, so maybe that's a no-go for acoustics. But could I e.g keep my GS mini body, replace the neck with a 3/4 size well-tempered neck, sand the bridge down super low. Gut the insides and add my own pickup (since the GS mini pickup hums constantly by design).

Are these reasonable modifications? Could the end result give me an electric guitar feel?
"No", and "maybe, maybe not".

To elaborate:
I think you'd get a much better value by getting a new guitar that works the way you need it to. Replacing the neck etc on your Taylor might maintain the sentimental value but would crater the resale and possibly the musical value. You'd be remodeling the entire house to get a custom result, but since you'd have to work within the constraints of the original, you'd end up making compromises that aren't worth it.

Assuming you've already googled "acoustic that plays like an electric".

What's your goal? Studio only, or live?
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
dug dog

I can't speak to the electronics side but, if your guitar has the Taylor NT neck, then having that adjusted (reset) is not particularly expensive and, as I understand it, if there are no signs that your guitar has been poorly treated, and you're the original owner, it may be a free warranty job.

Some combination of a neck reset and/or lowering the saddle should get you where you want to be, provided there are no other funky issues causing the high action (for example, loose bracing, high frets, bridge lifting.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Philbo King

I agree with Reason. Mods to acoustic guitars are far more difficult than on electrics. Replacing a neck is in the 'advanced' category for a pro luthier. Putting a 3/4 size neck on an instrument that originally had a full size neck is in the 'extremely difficult' category, and may be impossible (for example, the correct bridge position for the new shorter scale may land in the middle of the sound hole).

It would be better (and probably cheaper) to get another guitar. You can never have enough guitars, and your wrist condition is an excellent justification for it.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #5
grinder

Look I purchased a K Yairi acoustic guitar a while ago.
I played it for fun and knowledge in a music shop.
I don't normally go to music shops anymore.
What a fabulous sound and playability, wow no surplus energy or grip strength needed beautiful tone too. Check the make out.
Yes I was so taken by it it records so well too.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
g4greg

ever considered a jazz box? If they have proper electronics, they sound pretty convincing as an acoustic when plugged, but still play like an electric.

And they sound really nice acoustically too (when they are well made )...
Old 05-02-2018, 02:17 AM   #7
Mr. PC

Looking up jazz boxes. Something like that would be nice... especially if I could put bluetooth in it and connect it to my portable speaker!

Last edited by Mr. PC; 05-02-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote