• * Includes feature branch: batch converter improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: improved zoomed-in peaks performance
  • * Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + Custom menus: fix support for more than 1024 menu items per menu
  • + Custom menus: fix support for more than 32 submenus per menu
  • + Media explorer: add actions to adjust pitch by +/- 1 cent
  • + Media explorer: add pitch knob option to adjust in cents
  • + Media explorer: shift+drag applies the previously selected pitch knob behavior (rather than always applying either continuous or semitone changes)
  • + Media explorer: smoother transition when adjusting preview pitch via actions
  • + Metadata: attempt to parse XMP markers for terse display in media source properties
  • + Render: fix persistence of preference to embed XMP markers [t=263105]
  • + Render: fix rendering to mp3 when sample rate is set higher than 48k [t=263248]
  • + macOS: fix knob background drawing after switching to/from dark-mode
  • # Media explorer: improve pitch detection of low notes
  • # Media explorer: pitch detection displays root note only
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
tonalstates
Human being with feelings

Jumping on the Media Explorer love.. is there a way to add auto-view-scroll on the MX preview window?

I've found myself zooming in on loong clips for tiny sounds but having a hard time following the play cursor with the scroll bars on the sides because if you zoom in a lot a small slider movement will put you on a different time zone basically hehe as in it goes pretty far, so yeah. Thanks.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Thanks for the menu-updates

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:03 PM   #4
ferropop

Media Explorer : curious why previewing samples is subjected to the same latency as the project? Just seems odd, if you load an external sample browser (XLN XO, or even just browsing Windows Explorer) this is not an issue. Can Media Explorer be made to play audio outside of the session's plugin latency?

Mostly an issue when huge PDC-creating plugins are in the mix...clicking through samples becomes super sluggish with a big delay.

Last edited by ferropop; 02-17-2022 at 10:35 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #5
Arthur McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Media Explorer : curious why previewing samples is subjected to the same latency as the project? Just seems odd, if you load an external sample browser (XLN XO, or even just browsing Windows Explorer) this is not an issue.

Mostly an issue when huge PDC-creating plugins are in the mix...clicking through samples becomes super sluggish with a big delay.
Same here. Media explorer becomes unusable due to crackling and latency when using latency-inducing plugins in the session
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:29 PM   #6
pyercoffin

Default Free Item Positioning Problem

Hi!
I've been recently having a problem with the Free Item Positioning. It seems like Items no longer all play if they overlap.
Switching to Fixed Items Lane plays back everything correctly.
Is this normal? It seems like it defeats the purpose of free positioning stuff no?
Thanks for any help,

Pyer
PS I'm on the latest MacOs/MacbookPro M1 Max (Rosetta).
pyercoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:03 AM   #7
Berg

Default channel-mapper bug

Strange behavior with the channel-mapper when setting the values in the user mix mode, very difficult to change precisely the value. Please have a look at the video attached.

ARM M1 Monterey using 6.47 dev 217.

Last edited by Berg; 02-24-2022 at 01:50 AM.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:11 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyercoffin View Post
Hi!
I've been recently having a problem with the Free Item Positioning. It seems like Items no longer all play if they overlap.
I'm not able to reproduce this. Is there any chance you could send us a very simple project that demonstrates the issue, along with your reaper.ini file?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:41 AM   #9
sockmonkey72

EDIT: removing pending some further investigation

Last edited by sockmonkey72; 02-18-2022 at 07:23 AM. Reason: need to rule out that this isn't local to my machine
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:50 AM   #10
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
Strange behavior with the channel-mapper when setting the values in the user mix mode, very difficult to change precisely the value. Please have a look at the video attached.
Fixing, thanks for the report.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:54 AM   #11
mccrabney

Quote:
+ Media explorer: pitch knob cent actions / shift-modifier additions
it's the perfect pitch knob now.

thank you, and see you in the "RS5K pitch offset knob cent modifier" FR
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:09 AM   #12
nofish

Quote:
Does FIPM respect Project settings > Advanced > Item mix behaviour? (Can't check currently).
If so, maybe you've changed it recently?

Last edited by nofish; 02-18-2022 at 09:27 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:50 AM   #13
PhelixK

Quote:
  • + macOS: fix knob background drawing after switching to/from dark-mode
hmm, mode change from dark to light looks correct here on 10.14.6, but not the other way around. When in dark mode, the background is always visible.

Gif showing mode change with the default theme. The dark knob background is there, and regardless if a given theme is using dark mode window theming or not.

*on a note, knobs in the Media Explorer transport bar looks correct in both modes.

Last edited by PhelixK; 02-18-2022 at 11:19 AM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:01 AM   #14
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
it's the perfect pitch knob now.
+1, very nice options!

– there's a small quirk here, if I reset Pitch by double-clicking (instead of inserting zero value), the readout resets, but not the knob position. Another double-click resets it though.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #15
nvk

Mac M1 Universal

Maybe this is how it's always been, but when I have Media Explorer and my actions list both docked and the actions list is the focused tab, I'm unable to change any of the preferences from the actions list.

I think it makes sense that some of these actions are disabled when the media explorer isn't open, but it would be nice to be able to toggle the preferences.
nvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:42 PM   #16
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvk View Post
Mac M1 Universal

Maybe this is how it's always been, but when I have Media Explorer and my actions list both docked and the actions list is the focused tab, I'm unable to change any of the preferences from the actions list.

I think it makes sense that some of these actions are disabled when the media explorer isn't open, but it would be nice to be able to toggle the preferences.
Reaper on Mac-Intel has about the same behavior here. Only when the Action List is placed in dock, it must be run again as it stops working with Media Explorer when opened, no matter if docked or floating.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #17
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
hmm, mode change from dark to light looks correct here on 10.14.6, but not the other way around. When in dark mode, the background is always visible.

Gif showing mode change with the default theme. The dark knob background is there, and regardless if a given theme is using dark mode window theming or not.

*on a note, knobs in the Media Explorer transport bar looks correct in both modes.

it was worse before. You'd switch and have white background knobs on dark mode.
the border around the knob is a different issue.
I think it works better in the media explorer as well, the colors are slightly different. RGB 33 33 33 vs 28 28 28
Old 02-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #18
pyercoffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm not able to reproduce this. Is there any chance you could send us a very simple project that demonstrates the issue, along with your reaper.ini file?
Thanks in advance and here you go.
The attached example outputs different results for me whether Free Item Positioning or Fixed Lane is selected.
The first option does not play all the sounds at the same time whereas the second one does.
I've gone through the preferences but can't find what I did wrong...
Thanks again for the help!
Pyer
Attached Files
File Type: zip FreeItemPosition.zip (235.9 KB, 111 views)
pyercoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks in advance and here you go.
The attached example outputs different results for me whether Free Item Positioning or Fixed Lane is selected.
The first option does not play all the sounds at the same time whereas the second one does.
I've gone through the preferences but can't find what I did wrong...
Thanks again for the help!
Pyer
These things are often so easy to fix when we have a sample project, thanks! I believe this is a bug in the fixed item lanes branch that is affecting the free item positioning playback. We should be able to fix it for the next +dev build. The bug does not exist in the released version of REAPER (because the fixed lanes feature has not yet been released), so you can install the latest official release if you need to get past the problem.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #20
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
it was worse before. You'd switch and have white background knobs on dark mode.
the border around the knob is a different issue.
I think it works better in the media explorer as well, the colors are slightly different. RGB 33 33 33 vs 28 28 28
When checking the default theme in Reaper 6.47 on Mac-Intel, I think the overlay of the generic knob and background area (what you call border) looks fine in both modes, maybe different on M1 macs.

Here only the border area is suddenly visible in this dev-version (and also 6.48rc1).

Also, if FX chain window is docked, the border area of the dry/wet knob is very prominent, but this is only in normal-mode system appearance. It has been like that since long.

Anyway, I understand there may be some challenges related to appearance of the generic knob in various windows.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:52 PM   #21
EpicSounds

I'm pretty sure it was my post that prompted the change
https://twitter.com/reaperblog/statu...75133284241409
Old 02-19-2022, 01:17 PM   #22
Reflected

regarding the pitch detection

can you make a built-in advanced tool like MX-Tuner by FTC?
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...53&postcount=1

Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #23
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
+ Media explorer: smoother transition when adjusting preview pitch via actions
Urgh... Just noticed that this unfortunately messes with the MX Tuner script quite a bit. It was using the fact that the actions adjust the pitch instantaneously (via JS_ReaScriptAPI it takes about 1 second).

In v6.47 you could use MX Tuner to lock to a specific key, then quickly go through one-shot samples with the arrow keys and preview how they sound tuned to that key.

With the newly added delay, you now have to playback each sample twice to "wait" until its tuned... which obviously is kind of meh.

Anyways... I don't expect (and wouldn't want) you to halt improvements to REAPER based on the inner workings of some obscure script.
But if you don't plan to support a feature like this natively, maybe you could consider adding API support for setting media explorer pitch/rate etc. (or an option that restores previous functionality).
Old 02-19-2022, 03:46 PM   #24
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Urgh... Just noticed that this unfortunately messes with the MX Tuner script quite a bit. It was using the fact that the actions adjust the pitch instantaneously (via JS_ReaScriptAPI it takes about 1 second).

In v6.47 you could use MX Tuner to lock to a specific key, then quickly go through one-shot samples with the arrow keys and preview how they sound tuned to that key.

With the newly added delay, you now have to playback each sample twice to "wait" until its tuned... which obviously is kind of meh.

Anyways... I don't expect (and wouldn't want) you to halt improvements to REAPER based on the inner workings of some obscure script.
But if you don't plan to support a feature like this natively, maybe you could consider adding API support for setting media explorer pitch/rate etc. (or an option that restores previous functionality).
I think if you send the play action first and then the pitch change action, it should take effect more or less immediately?
Old 02-19-2022, 05:27 PM   #25
FeedTheCat

Quote:
I think if you send the play action first and then the pitch change action, it should take effect more or less immediately?
Hmmm, thanks for the response. I tried it briefly, but couldn't get it to work. I think the issue is that when auto-play is enabled the preview is already playing when the script detects the file selection change and calls the appropriate pitch action. I'll look into it further tomorrow though and get back to you.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:54 AM   #26
Reflected

if we could attach the script into the browser it could look much better...the current docking ability is limited and it's not easy to make it look good in different environments - there is always an docking compromise that clutter the whole screen due to docking limitations, this is why I request this to be native.

docking improvements FR by evildragon: (even though I don't think this is as important as FX container)
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....hlight=docking
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:00 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Ah, the delay is actually the media buffer, not the UI. So it varies by user.

Anyway, we can restore support for the legacy actions that force the media to reload, so your script will continue to work.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:48 AM   #28
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Ah, the delay is actually the media buffer, not the UI. So it varies by user.
Interesting, I tried setting the buffer to 0, but there is delay still.

Quote:
Anyway, we can restore support for the legacy actions that force the media to reload, so your script will continue to work.
That would be nice, I'll make sure to remind you to remove them once I find a another way to achieve the same effect. Another idea would be a new "force reload media (apply pitch/rate immediately)" action to mimic the old behavior in combination with the new actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
if we could attach the script into the browser it could look much better...the current docking ability is limited and it's not easy to make it look good in different environments
Indeed would be very useful. Wanted to mention though that there's options to make the window frameless and always keep it on top. You can use that to "pseudo-dock" it anywhere in the media explorer.