Old 08-26-2018, 03:39 AM   #1
BrianJoeSandy
Human being with feelings

Default Help cant get initial screen back.

The toolbars have gone and the trxck menus down the left side have gone. All I get is a more or less blank screen. I have updated uninstaleed and reinstalled. How do I get the standard initial screen back with metronomee undo buttons etc?
BrianJoeSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 AM   #2
solger

Sounds like you might have accidentally dragged or collapsed the Track panel all the way to the left.

So try to place the mouse cursor near the left window edge (until it changes to a drag cursor icon) - for instance to the left of the timeline ruler.
Then either do a Double-Click on this edge. Or Left-Click & Drag the track panel edge back to the right.

Another option might be to switch to different View > Screensets/Layouts (in case you have set up multiple ones).

Last edited by solger; 08-26-2018 at 04:03 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
BrianJoeSandy

Default Screen view

Thanks that was very helpfull. I now have the track panel on the left and icons at top back again. Tried dragging up fom bottom. No good. Tried various view options also no good. On view menu transport ticked brings back the play controls but ticking mixer brings up a screen withtrack volume controls spread around in weird places instead of at the bottom of the screen in a neat row.
Strange that reinstalling produced the problem though. I would have expected a reinstall to start from scratch.

Last edited by BrianJoeSandy; 08-26-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJoeSandy View Post
I now have the track panel on the left and icons at top back again.
Great

Quote:
Strange that reinstalling produced the problem though. I would have expected a reinstall to start from scratch.
It depends. If the Reaper resource folder (Options > Show REAPER resource path...) - where all of your configuration files are stored - isn't deleted when doing an uninstall then Reaper will access the same configuration files after a reinstall.
That's basically why it's possible to install an older/newer Reaper version directly over an existing install location without loosing your configurations.

There are also options to restore Reaper to factory default settings: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=56723
But in this case make sure to export your custom configurations first (before doing the restore) if you want to keep them as backup!

As a side note:

It's a good strategy in general to make regular backups of your Reaper configuration. Either by exporting the config via the Preferences: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#HB4C3njFxRg
And/or by making a backup of the whole Reaper resource folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJoeSandy View Post
.. but ticking mixer brings up a screen withtrack volume controls spread around in weird places instead of at the bottom of the screen in a neat row.
Do you mean that there are different Track heights in the Mixer? Or something else (can you maybe post a screenshot?) - like certain tracks have different track layouts, etc. ?

In the first case, you can adjust the mixer panel heights for all tracks at the same time by using Ctrl/Cmd + Left-Drag. Shown at around 16:50 in the video: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#cVkwXKbeEaA

Last edited by solger; 08-26-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: merged 2 posts into 1
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
BrianJoeSandy

Default Scrambled screen

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16eT...ew?usp=sharing

that is it. Thanks again
Old 08-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Stella645

Your mixer is docked to the side.....grab it on the little white tab at bottom left and drag it to the bottom of screen until you see a blue line appear and then drop it.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
solger

In addition to Stella645's post: general info about arranging Dockers is shown in this video: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#e3sVPiruiUM
Old 08-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
BrianJoeSandy

Default Scrambled screen

I can kill it with the little x but I cant move it with the white tab. The stray line obove about left and right output is strange.
I'll try again tomorrow
Old 08-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Stella645

Drag right off the bottom of the screen and you should get the blue line.
You can also click on the tiny ! in the grey bit of that tab and choose the dock position by menu.

Not sure what you mean by stray line? Seems to look the same here if I set it up that way.

Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:12 AM   #10
BrianJoeSandy

Default Scrambled screen

Got it! That ! was almost invisible. Thanks for all help.