Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Help: How to route data sent from an insert effect

Newbie on Reaper, learning fast. But I ran in to a problem:

I have put an insert effect on a track, an insert effect which reads the audio volume profile from the track and sends its readings out as MIDI volume data. I want to record the output of this plugin (the MIDI Volume data) onto a separate track (MIDI).

But I'm having problem finding out how to route the output from an insert plugin on one track to the MIDI input of another track.

Any help available? links to previous answers about the same question?
thx

Last edited by Colox; 03-17-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
DarkStar

You're nearly there
-- route the first track to the second, by dragging the [i/o] button
-- in the I/O window, disable the audio part of the send (set Audio "1/2" to Audio "None"), so you are just sending MIDI.
-- Arm the second track for recording, then right-click the RecArm button, select "Record output" >> Record Output (MIDI)

-------------
Any audio or MIDI Received onto a track is not treated as Input to that track. It joins the track after that stage.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
You're nearly there
-- route the first track to the second, by dragging the [i/o] button
-- in the I/O window, disable the audio part of the send (set Audio "1/2" to Audio "None"), so you are just sending MIDI.
-- Arm the second track for recording, then right-click the RecArm button, select "Record output" >> Record Output (MIDI)
Sweet, it works. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Any audio or MIDI Received onto a track is not treated as Input to that track. It joins the track after that stage.
Hm .. so, it kindof gets recorded via .. a different input feed? Because the sound is sent via another channel and not a direct input?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
DarkStar

More or less -what you are doing is recording he output (MIDI in this case) of that second track.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Colox

This method has stopped working for me.

I posted this question some time ago. And this procedure worked fine - until now :/ I'm doing precisely as I have done for all this time, but now it does not work.

Now I'm able to create a send/recieve between two channels, but there is no data/information sent between them anymore. Until now, I have gotten clear indications on the input meter that MIDI data is being recieved on the target channel. But now there's nothing, and nothing is being recorded either. I've tried for many days to locate what the holdup may be, but I seem to be unable to resolve this.

I recently upgraded to Reaper 4.32, but I'm not sure this could affect this functionality. I feel it shouldn't. I have also reset all Reaper's presets and config files, cleaning it out and re-installing. But no change.

The plugins I speak of above, doesn't have many settings to change around, so I'm very doubtful my problem could reside in there. I've tried every way possible and I have not upgraded the plugins recently either.

I'm posting here again to see if someone possibly might recognize- or think of anything I may not know of or may have overlooked. One thing I haven't tried yet is to meticolously analyze the preference settings. Perhaps there is something there which could affect this.

Thankful for any kind of comment or ideas
/C
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
planetnine

Check whether you might have a "feedback loop".

It doesn't matter whether it will actually feed back or not, if it can route via audio or MIDI in a circle, REAPER will detect it as a loop and mute the signal.

Just an idea...

>
Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
moliere

yeah, agree on the feedback thing. might be the problem.

also make sure your monitor settings are right, you might need to try mucking about with the little speaker icon on the sending/receiving track.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Colox

Thanks guys

I tried very hard to determine whether there could be some feedback going on, but I've been unable to find that. So for now I’ll assume that may not be the deal.

When the plugin on the send channel sends the volume data (MIDI), the meter on the receive channel doesn't indicate, and I cannot record the MIDI data onto a track like before. It's odd.

But the input meter on the receiving channel, does indicate something: When I send MIDI data from the plugin on the send channel, the MIDI input meter on the receiving channel displays this:

Note the little red square^^ in the bottom of the meter (my MIDI input indication is set to red color). That red square disappears when I stop playback. This ought to indicate that some type of information is coming through. But the MIDI data that is being sent, in this case, is of a constantly varying type, so the MIDI indicator should be going up/down in velocity. Yet, it’s just a red square. And when I record MIDI on the recieving channel, nothing gets recorded. Just blank.

This happens no matter what MIDI sending plugin I try – except for one: the JS MIDI Drumtrigger plugin (comes with Reaper). With this one, each sent MIDI note is clearly visible in the recieving channel's MIDI meter, as a level shooting up and dropping back down:

(note the red spike beneath the square shooting up towards the right). But I still can’t record the incoming MIDI notes from JS Drumtrigger. Can’t seem to record any MIDI data generated by a plug.

However, when I put a plugin - that can receive and respond to MIDI - on the receiving track, it does receive the data being sent from the plugin on the send track. That’s confirmed, it responds 100% to the incoming information. Yet like I said, I can’t record that MIDI signal coming in to the recieving channel. If I set the track to record enable, and record, a blank MIDI item is recorded with no MIDI data in it whatsoever. No sysex, nothing. And I can’t find no MIDI filter that is enabled in some setting either.

This feels so odd. I’m not even sure of what to look for no more … Still posting all these details, hoping that some kind soul might recognize something that I'm not seeing. Thx

Last edited by Colox; 02-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
DarkStar

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
moliere

you're definitely setting it to record 'output'?
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Colox

I lost my patience, and re-installed the entire windows partition :P Reaper wasn't the only thing acting up so I killed several flies in one bang.

Now it's working again, the very same thing that wasn't working before. I guess we have to write this one up on the temporary "wierd shit" account.
I am thankful for the input above, and I can testify that Reaper is the only DAW I've tried so far - in my 30 years of DAWs - that has absolutely the least "wierd shit" things happening. Almost none, compared to those I fled from. I'm so releaved

Last edited by Colox; 02-17-2013 at 01:03 PM.