Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.60pre3a - September 21 2017

v5.60pre3a - September 21 2017
# Envelopes: fix creating new automation items in automation write mode

v5.60pre3 - September 21 2017
+ Automation items: don't allow edge edits when automation item is very small
+ Automation items: support muting individual automation items
+ Envelopes: Add option to always create new automation item when writing automation
+ Envelopes: Add option to disable envelope outside of automation items [t=196166]
+ Peaks: option in peaks display settings to sqrt-scale peaks
# Batch file converter: improve default path when using browse button on Windows
# ReaTune: improve display
# Web Interface: allow using /fancier rather than /fancier.html etc
# Web Interface: more_me bugfix/typofix
# Windows: another possible workaround for logitech mouse wheels

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Edgemeal; 09-21-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post

Justin!!! IT IS FINALLY WORKING!!! Thank you sooooooooo much!

Works in arrange, works in MIDI editor - docked or undocked! Doesn't seem to work at all in routing matrix though, docked or undocked (whereas it worked at least partially before)!

But this is HUGE for me (and other MX Master users). Manly tears here. Seriously, thanks for all the effort and back-and-forth we did

Regarding the new automation items options - we need actions for those so that we can assign them to custom menus. Thanks! (Also, there's no help text for those checkboxes when hovering mouse over them in Prefs...)
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
EvilDragon

When changing the option "Disable envelope outside of automation items by default", existing envelopes retain their current setting, even after completely clearing and removing them. Showing them again on the track still shows them with the old setting. Not sure if this is by design, if it is, perhaps reconsider?
Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
EvilDragon

And again regarding horizontal wheel - it doesn't work in ReaTune, unfortunately

Is there any way for ReaTune to follow zooming/scrolling mousewheel assignments we have for the arrange view in the Actions list? I have it set up completely different from the default...

By the way - thanks for piano roll layout in ReaTune - SO much better now! Though, don't you think it would make sense to take the theme colors for piano roll instead?

Also having the ruler is very nice. Perhaps it should also follow the ruler setting? Right now it just shows time, but not bars.beats, or the combined mode (which is what I use)...

Compare how garish things look when you don't match the piano roll colors from what the theme uses. The plugin is using skinned sliders from the theme - so why not other colors as well?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-21-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
Edgemeal

Wild stuff!

Last edited by Edgemeal; 09-21-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixed in Pre3a
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
When changing the option "Disable envelope outside of automation items by default", existing envelopes retain their current setting, even after completely clearing and removing them. Showing them again on the track still shows them with the old setting. Not sure if this is by design, if it is, perhaps reconsider?
The preference does what it says -- changes the default. We could add an action to set/unset all envelopes in the project, or something.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Wild stuff!
Oops, fix coming :/
Old 09-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The preference does what it says -- changes the default. We could add an action to set/unset all envelopes in the project, or something.
Good - agreed!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
musicbynumbers

thanks!

one step close to automation takes kind of!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
EvilDragon

We just need a faster way of muting AIs. Context menu is slow. Mouse modifier, maybe?

EDIT: No problemo, we have an action for that, so it goes onto Automation item->double click!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
musicbynumbers

Quote:
We just need a faster way of muting AIs. Context menu is slow. Mouse modifier, maybe?
Definitely. A double click mouse modifier perhaps and the classic assignable action if there already isn't one.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #12
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Definitely. A double click mouse modifier perhaps and the classic assignable action if there already isn't one.
There is, I just did it!

@schwa - the action should probably be renamed to "Envelope: Toggle mute automation items"!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #13
musicbynumbers

+ Envelopes: Add option to disable envelope outside of automation items

This is great too!

Does this mean we can freely move parameters about outside of the automation items? No more locking?

And..

How's it work with recording? does recorded automation go directly into an automation item then?

I guess I should go try it!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
EvilDragon

Quote:
Does this mean we can freely move parameters about outside of the automation items? No more locking?
Quote:
How's it work with recording? does recorded automation go directly into an automation item then?
There's a separate option that does just that.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
schwa
Administrator

The new automation item options are obviously experimental... pre3a is coming shortly which will fix weirdness that occurs in write mode (should be OK in touch/latch mode).

Also undo is not really supported properly yet when recording into automation items.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #16
mccrabney

Quote:
+ Envelopes: Add option to always create new automation item when writing automation
+ Envelopes: Add option to disable envelope outside of automation items [t=196166]
thank you, so much. this is what i hoped for. i'm playing with it now and trying to break it.

Quote:
yes, it does. it's terrific.

question. i tend to keep my automation on the media lane due to limited screen real estate. it seems like the easiest way for me to actually create an AI to work with is to use MPL's "Insert 1 measure long automation item for last touched parameter.lua" ... does anyone have any other suggestions? mpl's script works great but since it's ReaPack and not out of the box it might leave some people wondering how to create an AI in order to fill it with info.

schwa, my sincere thanks for this. i don't think there's ever been a FR that i've been quite this passionate about, and i truly appreciate what you've done.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #17
EvilDragon

For an experiment they are working pretty great, I would say. Obviously a dream come true for some.

Like my goddamn horizontal mousewheel, kek.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
mpl's script works great but since it's ReaPack and not out of the box it might leave some people wondering how to create an AI in order to fill it with info.
Check the first option that you quoted, you will like it

I will personally say that I find working with envelopes in media lane absolutely tedious... so I just don't do it, period. Especially confusing if I have take envelopes in the game.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #19
musicbynumbers

Thanks for the answers all! exciting stuff!

I'm actually fine with automation being "broken" by things like moving that parameter in between to AIs and for it to stay at that parameter setting till you jump to or reach an AI for it.

I'll try in the morning but I'm hoping that's what it allows and it seems it does!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #20
Sju

AI only envs and muting! Thanks!

Would it make sense/be possible to make it a global option?

Last edited by Sju; 09-21-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #21
mccrabney

ED, yeah i saw that, it'll probably make me change my ways. til now, I've generally moused in automation rather than recording it in, hence looking for something like mpl's script.

are you using multiple monitors, or a big screen? my laptop screen real estate gets eaten up by all the tracks i use as is, let alone with envelope Lanes in there as well. i compensate with a "hide itemsless tracks" action.

all said these new features are going to take some workflow revision so i plan on getting super high and spending a few hours learning some new habits.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #22
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
are you using multiple monitors, or a big screen? my laptop screen real estate gets eaten up by all the tracks i use as is, let alone with envelope Lanes in there as well. i compensate with a "hide itemsless tracks" action.
Yes, 2x24" Dell 16:10 beauties. Once you see those, you think to yourself "screw laptops, LOL"!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #23
ferropop

Re: disable envelope outside of automation items

I'm playing with this and I side with what Schwa said in an earlier post -- it's weird that inbetween the AIs there's no set value. Any number of weird things can cause different results every time you hit play.

It should always latch Left, no? (or give the option?). The only exception is between the project start and the first AI, it should latch Right to figure out its initial value.

Imagine you're automating some pink-noise (super common in EDM!)...you want the value to be zero everywhere except where you have AI. With nondeterministic values inbetween AIs, you'll have pink noise blasting at full volume if you happen to have stopped the project at it's peak value.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #24
jrengmusic

Devs

While we working on ReaTune, in manual mode would it be possible to add very simple synthesizer to its piano roll? So user can click the note and it will play a corresponding reference pitch.

It would be very handy when dealing with complex tuning, without the necessity playing instruments for reference.

Also it would be great if there is option for the time ruler following arrange window unit.

The previous version ReaTune color follows theme color scheme, how to change the color in the current version?

Last edited by jrengmusic; 09-21-2017 at 11:57 PM.
jrengmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 PM   #25
DANIELE

Quote:
v5.60pre3a - September 21 2017
# Envelopes: fix creating new automation items in automation write mode

v5.60pre3 - September 21 2017
+ Automation items: don't allow edge edits when automation item is very small
+ Peaks: option in peaks display settings to sqrt-scale peaks
# Batch file converter: improve default path when using browse button on Windows
# ReaTune: improve display
# Web Interface: allow using /fancier rather than /fancier.html etc
# Web Interface: more_me bugfix/typofix

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases
Wohooo!! Great stuff.

"Add option to disable envelope outside of automation items" means that I can record only on them, am I right?
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #26
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

I'm playing with this and I side with what Schwa said in an earlier post -- it's weird that inbetween the AIs there's no set value. Any number of weird things can cause different results every time you hit play.

It should always latch Left, no? (or give the option?). The only exception is between the project start and the first AI, it should latch Right to figure out its initial value.

Imagine you're automating some pink-noise (super common in EDM!)...you want the value to be zero everywhere except where you have AI. With nondeterministic values inbetween AIs, you'll have pink noise blasting at full volume if you happen to have stopped the project at it's peak value.
Is it a per track option or only a global option?

I think it will be useful to activate it per track, maybe I want it on a track and I don't want it on another one.

For example I think you have to use automation under midi items and nothing under nothing.

Anyway I don't know how it behaves for midi tails for examples.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 PM   #27
Lau

Thank you Justin, Reatune looks much better now!
Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 AM   #28
david0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lau View Post
Thank you Justin, Reatune looks much better now!
It looks great indeed!

Can we get the same view in the "Correction" tab? I would also preferr to have scrollbars here, since the auto adjustment in the behaves to crazy for my feeling and also creates cracks all the time when it resizes.
david0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:13 AM   #29
vitalker

Quote:
Ideally it would be really useful to have "Automation items buttons" like with media items. Moreover, the checkbox would be extremely useful in "Automation item properties".
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:16 AM   #30
EvilDragon

You can assign the mute action to automation item double click mouse modifier. Works great!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:20 AM   #31
vitalker

Quote:
You can assign the mute action to automation item double click mouse modifier. Works great!
Yeah, but the main word was "ideally". And such a button would help to measure by eye, what items are un-/muted.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 AM   #32
EvilDragon

Muted items get semitransparent so they're easy to notice by eye
Old 09-22-2017, 01:51 AM   #33
vitalker

Quote:

Small FR for Automation items only mode.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #34
vitalker

Quote:
Muted items get semitransparent so they're easy to notice by eye
Maybe dimming of muted items will make workflow a bit more convenient?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #35
EvilDragon

That's a nice place to put that option to, yeah!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:09 AM   #36
musicbynumbers

One little issue I had is that I went to assign AI mute in actions to my usual mute button then realised I couldn't because my usual mute action is that sws contextual mute. Doh!

Would hate to loose what that action does so I guess I could ask the SWS guys to include ai items or is there a way devs that you could make the SWS contextual mute include ai items yourself as that has a better chance of getting done?

No worries if not!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 AM   #37
musicbynumbers

From what I can tell, you can set it up to be like that and it near enough is at default.

Also, you can switch this per envelope by right clicking on the envelope. Pretty nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 AM   #38
musicbynumbers

Default Issue when trying to "show last selected parameter"

I tried to tweak a parameter in a plugin and use the "show last parameter" option to get the envelope to show but because my default preference is the new envelopes get place with the media items and not on a new lane, I couldn't see the envelope at all with this new option..

I guess this could be considered one of those caveats Schwa warned about

As there's no way right to add automation items to a normal media lane without first actually have a associated envelope lane there for the ai to be created?

Schwa. Maybe in this case, using that plugin option should always create the lane for that parameter as I'm not sure of a way around this.

Anyone got a better idea though?

Maybe if you have the time selection set as well then using "last touched parameter" option could auto create an automation item within the time selection on the media lane. That would be a nice mid ground option for me.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 AM   #39
EvilDragon

Pre3a: thanks for adding the action to disable envelope per envelope.

It would still be nice to add actions for "Options: Always create new automation items when writing automation" and "Options: Disable envelope outside of automation items by default", so that we can put it in our menus. We have actions for all other AI related checkboxes, so why not these
Old 09-22-2017, 03:50 AM   #40
ovnis

It's a good idea.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote