Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #41
VinodXAgent
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemuso View Post
Thanks again.
The external a/d con has only the following . . .
IN - L & R analogue and power
OUT - Coaxial (digi out) and a Toslink connector
These cheap AD Converters usually can't sync to the Interface and have to be the Clock master. Change sync source from Internal to external-spdif in the M-Audio Control Panel. (Pic 4 of your pics).
VinodXAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:20 AM   #42
olemuso

I think that's how I tried it first time and got no results at all - just freeze.

in the light of your comments stirring the old grey cells I'll have another go after the weekend, this time with a little more logic (no pun intended) rather than just 'plug it and see'.
olemuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #43
drumphil

For a bit of extra added clarity, the SPDIF output on your stand alone converter sends world clock as well as the digital audio signal, so if the sound card is set to get it's wordclock from the SPDIF source, the stand alone converter is now the master clock, and the sound card will run at whatever sample rate the the stand alone converter spits out.

If the stand alone converter only works at one clock rate, then everything you do while using it must be happy to run at that sample rate, be it 44.1K, 48K, 96K, or whatever.

If you can change the sample rate on the stand alone converter, then this is the only way to choose the same rate you want to use. The sound card will follow whatever it receives when it is set to follow the SPDIF wordclock. If the converter had an SPDIF input, then it could follow the clock from the sound card, so long as it is capable of running at whatever sample rate you have the sound card set to.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #44
olemuso

Thanks.
It's becoming clearer - clearer that this cheap convertor is not good enough :/ Hence the old saying 'Buy cheap, buy twice'

I have a few more ideas now as I think I've got some gear with a/d and d/a convertors in.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #45
drumphil

Well, I'd still go back and do a simple test.

Plug your stand alone converter into the sound card and set the sound card to get wordclock from SPDIF.

Then check what sample rate the sound card control panel shows.

Make sure that no other programs that might want to access the sound card running.

Check your windows playback and recording default sample rate settings to see if they are set to the same sample rate that you now know your stand alone converter runs at. If they aren't, change them. (This part shouldn't matter, but some programs (like Pro Tools) do funny things when they initialize their audio devices, and stuff like this can have an effect.. Don't know if it matters with Reaper)

Start reaper, and start a new project at that sample rate.

What happens then?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #46
drumphil

Also, your mixer is set up incorrectly. Right now the sound from the analog input is being played back through the sound cards internal mixer. If you then monitor the analog input through reaper, you will get the sound from the internal mixer, and the delayed version of the same signal coming back from reaper. This will cause the phasey effect you mentioned.

You have to choose one way other other. Either monitor through the sound card mixer, and turn off monitoring through reaper, or monitor through reaper, and turn off monitoring through the sound card.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #47
olemuso

Thanks again for your patience.
I'm at a standstill at the moment, my wife is seriously ill and awaiting heart surgery and my RODE NT2A mic packed up. I'm hoping that will be back tomorrow and if I have some spare time I'll take another look.
Cheers.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #48
drumphil

No problem. You've got enough on your plate. Hope things go well with your wife. When you've got time, I'm sure we'll be able to help you get your gear working.