Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
geraintluff
Human being with feelings

Default Saving track selection set

I like to keep regular renderings of my tracks (master + stems), even as they're still being written.

However, each time I do this export, I currently manually select each track I want to include. I don't want to select everything (e.g. some are MIDI-only tracks, sometimes I have three drum samples in separate tracks, but I want to only export "snare" or "bass drum"), but it still tends to be around 20-30 tracks.

Is there a way to save this track selection somehow? You can do something similar in time, using regions - so it's fairly easy to export the same time region each time. But I haven't found an automatic/simple way to export the same set of tracks each time.

Am I missing something? Like a big "Save track selection as set" button? Thanks!
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
EvilDragon

SWS extensions allow you to save track selections.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
James HE

you can just use track grouping as well.

The matrix makes it pretty easy to setup and select the groups. There are actions as well.

(If you "disable" the group - the group can be used solely as a selection group)

Last edited by James HE; 09-04-2013 at 06:57 AM.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
James HE

hmmm... SWS track group actions seem to be completely broken now.

investigating... anyone else want to check it out as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
selection sets are just items no?

Last edited by James HE; 09-04-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by @non View Post
its quite difficult to find the best way to do things sometimes

I havent got far in my development with reaper but,..

s&m slots 1-10
save track states
recall slot #

something like this Mr. He?
Yeah it can be daunting trying to find a "best" way. There are usually multiple ways to do things, this is good, but finding it though all the menus and trying to decipher what is what in the action list can be a huge task.

I'm not sure which slots you are referring to, I think you've probably mixed up some unrelated actions. That is, unfortunately, very easy to do. The action list is it's own strange language - with many different authors - yeah it's real messy in there. even the most grizzled Reaperite can get lost.

It does start to click eventually, just ask away until then/

The actions I was referring to in my post pertain only to "track" groups as defined in the grouping matrix. i.e. "Select all tracks in group xx" and the "SWS/S&M: Set selected tracks to group xx (default flags)"

Some users use reaconsole and group things by name, and they can then use it to select all tracks with "xxx" in their name.

I rarely use that type of setup, so using the track grouping matrix works well enough for me. not the best way - but one way.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
@non

"SWS/S&M: Set selected tracks to group xx (default flags)"
"Select all tracks in group xx"
"show selected tracks hide others"

-

--

-S&M resources which has 10 slots for storing edit cursor and track states

-routing/grouping matrix -

Last edited by @non; 07-02-2014 at 12:12 PM.
@non is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
@non

Default Hello whats is this?

from the Reaper users guide (Geoffrey Francis c2013)

Track View Screen Sets

Tip: You can use the Screensets window to save different sets of Track Manager settings as Track Views, any of which can be recalled in an instant.

Track Views are created and saved on a per project basis – Using track view screen sets can be especially useful when you are editing or in some other way working closely with media items.

(Is this new since yesterday?)
@non is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

No, that's not new. Basically what it means is you can use the track manager to hide tracks - say hide all but your drum tracks in the arrange view and/or the mixer - and then use the "Track views" tab in the Screensets/Layouts window (or shortcut keys) to save/recall that view. So you can save views with just your drums, just your strings, just whatever and quickly jump between those views.
(Open the Screensets/Layouts window via View -> Screensets/Layouts and switch to the Track views tab.)

The same feature (Track views) can be used to save/recall cursor positions, scroll positions and horizontal zoom.

The best explanation of this feature i came across is in Kenny Gioia's "Reaper 4 explained" tutorial vids. I heavily recommend to invest in these vids, they are superb!

The OP could use this to achieve his goal. By saving track views with only the tracks visible which he needs selected he can recall that view, and then run the action "Track: Select all tracks". That will select only tracks currently visible in the arrange view.

Last edited by gofer; 09-08-2013 at 11:44 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
geraintluff

Default Sounds good enough

I have to admit, I was hoping for something as simple as regions, but the "groups" trick looks pretty neat - I'll try that first.

Thanks for the help, people.
geraintluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:01 AM   #10
djabthrash

Yo !

I know this is an old thread, but it might still be useful for others, even now.

It took me a while to figure this out, even after reading all your posts, but i finally nailed it.

To sum it up, you can group tracks together and then disable the group so that your group only serves as a track selection group, and then you can recall the tracks from that group, by using the actions menu.

Now, to save some time for other Reaper users who would use track grouping for track selection purposes, here's a step-by-step recap of the TRACK SELECTION by TRACK GROUPING method :

1) create your track selection group :

Open the Grouping Matrix (Ctrl + Alt + G) and find an unused group (ex : Group 1)
Close the Grouping Matrix (Ctrl + Alt + G) and go back to your Track Control Panel and select your tracks
Open the grouping dialog window (shift + G)
Choose your unused group
Put at least one flag on it (you can (save and then) load the default flags if needed) : ex: "Record Arm Master"
Untick the "group enabled" box
Rename your group if needed, by clicking the "rename" button : ex : MtkTrackSelection
Close the grouping dialog window by hitting the "close button"

NB : as already suggested earlier in this thread, you can also make your track selection group through the Grouping Matrix directly (instead of going through the Track Control Panel), which is even faster :

Open the Grouping Matrix (Ctrl + Alt + G) and find an unused group (ex : Group 1)
Select your tracks in that group through the matrix (put at least one flag on it)
And disable the group by unticking the group box
Rename your group if needed, by highlighting the column of your group, and then right-clicking to open the Group dialog window for this group, and then by clicking the "rename" button : ex : MtkTrackSelection
Close the grouping dialog window by hitting the "close button"
You can now close the Grouping Matrix (Ctrl + Alt + G)

2) recall your track selection group :

Open the actions menu (Shift + ?)
Filter the search for "select tracks group"
Choose and run the "Group: Select all tracks in group 01" action
Now your tracks from the selection group are selected !

NB : to get a better grasp of how track grouping works in Reaper, you should watch the following video by Kenny Gioia / Reaper Mania :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmI88BKnb8

Last edited by djabthrash; 04-22-2020 at 04:41 AM.
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
In echo to that, i just found out you can also easily save track selection by using the SWS (extension): Snapshots, by using the filter set to "custom" : "Selection".
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote