Old 07-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #1
Memphis Flash
Human being with feelings

Default Track Splitting?

If I have a concert file for example and wish to split the file into separate songs and render it, how do I do it? I tried splitting the track but it still saves as a single file?
Memphis Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
martifingers

If I understand you right, you could do either of these:

1. Do a Time Selection on each song and select Time Selection in the Render options
2. Split the file and drag the different songs to different tracks and solo the track you want before rendering.

Is that what you need?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:17 AM   #3
solger

You can also have a look at using Regions and rendering via Bounds: Project Regions or the Region Render Matrix.

More info here:

- https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#fuatZlqqXac
- www.reaper.fm/videos.php#UVHGzc3sB_I
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GmfcApVkg

Last edited by solger; 07-21-2017 at 03:28 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #4
uncleswede

+1 for Solger's solution

Here's what I do...

- split and trim the long track into discrete song clips
- add intro and outro fades to the clips as appropriate

For each song clip:

- SHIFT-dblclick on a split clip to create a time selection
- SHIFT-R to create a region from that time selection
- Edit the region's name as the song name

To render:

- Go to File/Render
- Change Source to 'Region Render Matrix'
- Set an output directory
- Enter $Region as a wildcard filename
- Choose your audio output format
- Click the Region Matrix button
- Click/set the Master Mix row for each region you want to render
- Click the Render button to go back to the main Render screen
- Click the 'Render N files' button near the bottom

In your output folder you should now have a series of audio files named according to your region names

The above 'reads long' but, in practice it's very quick
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Memphis Flash

I think that's what I need, so I'm splitting them into New tracks (multi track?) Then saving them? If I hit render I suppose it saves as one file? So I have to render them one by one?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
Memphis Flash

I have used software in the past that has an auto split option meaning it finds the gaps in the file and sets markers so you can save it! Perhaps we need a similar option? Auto split?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Flash View Post
I think that's what I need, so I'm splitting them into New tracks (multi track?) Then saving them? If I hit render I suppose it saves as one file? So I have to render them one by one?
I'm assuming that you have one, long track with loads of songs on?

There's no need to split the songs onto new tracks - just split the long track into song clips, create/name regions for each song clip then render using the wildcard/render matrix
Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
uncleswede

Here's a link to an animated GIF that might explain what I mean a little better...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5r61t816hl...tandrender.gif
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
ashcat_lt

Can we please start using the proper Reaper terms for these things?!? I know this is newbtown, but if you go searching for anything to do with "clips" in the docs, you're not going to find much useful.

The waveform that you see when you import your recording is an Audio Item. It lives on/in a Track, but is not itself a track. When you Split that Item, you create new Items which also live in/on that same Track. You could move them to other Tracks if you want, but for this it's not necessary.

The Splitting is all non-destructive. Reaper isn't hacking up your original wav file, the different items just refererence some portion of that original file. In order to get them to new separate files, you have to Render one way or another, and I think the Region method is ideal for that.

uncleswede's steps are exactly right and very good except for the sloppy terminology. Pretty much just replace the word "clip" with "item"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
- SHIFT-dblclick on a split clip to create a time selection
FFS!!! Was it really just right there all along?!? I ended up assigning a keyboard shortcut (Shift+Period) for that. The Actions Window never tells you what's happening in Mouse Modifiers.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
Memphis Flash

Thanx for all your gr8 replies, I still like the auto split option? Could it be implemented in an update maybe?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Flash View Post
Thanx for all your gr8 replies, I still like the auto split option? Could it be implemented in an update maybe?
Auto-trim already exists in reaper, and it's not not that difficult to make a custom action that sets markers to the boundaries of media items.

So this already exists.

To start: open the actions menu and find "Item: Auto trim/split items (remove silence)..."

Once your items are split then you can use the render options as you desire.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 AM   #12
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Can we please start using the proper Reaper terms for these things?!? I know this is newbtown, but if you go searching for anything to do with "clips" in the docs, you're not going to find much useful.

The waveform that you see when you import your recording is an Audio Item. It lives on/in a Track, but is not itself a track. When you Split that Item, you create new Items which also live in/on that same Track. You could move them to other Tracks if you want, but for this it's not necessary.

The Splitting is all non-destructive. Reaper isn't hacking up your original wav file, the different items just refererence some portion of that original file. In order to get them to new separate files, you have to Render one way or another, and I think the Region method is ideal for that.

uncleswede's steps are exactly right and very good except for the sloppy terminology. Pretty much just replace the word "clip" with "item"...

FFS!!! Was it really just right there all along?!? I ended up assigning a keyboard shortcut (Shift+Period) for that. The Actions Window never tells you what's happening in Mouse Modifiers.
Well I'm so sorry that my terminology isn't up to your high standards.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Well I'm so sorry that my terminology isn't up to your high standards.
It's not about standards, it's about accuracy and clarity of communication. Reaper uses specific terms for these things, and if we want everybody to be on the same page, we should use them, too. I did say that your post was really good aside from that.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote