Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default Tempo Mapping (again)

Here: -> http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...86&postcount=4 Masi and I agree that there seems to be no user friendly way to tempo map an existing recording (e.g of an orchestra or a Jazz combo).

Doing some more research, I found that Stretch Markers seem to be supported decently well and many users seem to use them successfully to warp single audio items to sync them to the grid.

I understand that the Stretch Markers create a kind of local tempo-envelope for the item they are defined in.

So I have the idea that this might be useful for tempo mapping an existing recording: i.e. warp the grid to be in sync with the unchanged audio of a multi-track recording.

I understand that warping the grid is possible via the Mater Track's tempo envelope (after appropriately setting the project's timebase definition).

Now a "user friendly" workflow might be to use one of the recorded tracks (e.g.: Bass Drum) and apply (set and move) Stretch Markers to sync the audio to the Grid.

When this is successfully done, a Script could be executed that converts the item's local Stretch-Marker-Tempo-Envelope to a global Tempo Envelop in a way that the Item's Stretch Markers' effect is nulled. With that we should easily have a tempo envelope for the multitrack recording.

Does such a script already exist ?

Any Ideas how to create such a script ?

Any additional thoughts ?

Thanks,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
Tomm

fyi if you didn't know:

1. you don't need to expose the tempo envelope to perform grid warping, just ctrl+drag tempo markers.

2. of course this adjusts all following markers, but there is sws script that allows adjusting markers that mantains surrounding markers
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
mschnell

Thanks for your comments !

As said it's not just me, not finding a de3cent workflow for that issue.

re 1) I understand "tempo Markers" are the same as the "dots" on the tempo envelope (if same is exposed). Not being able to edit the marker positions previously said does not seem to be a decent way to go.

re 2) I seem to remember that I tried the appropriate SWS actions but was not able to get along with that. Maybe I should re-check.

I feel it might be helpful to take advantage of the extended support for stretch markers. E.g. being able to use dynamic split to set stretch markers and then use them to create a tempo map might be worth a try. Also see -> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=147433 as an example for enhanced Stretch Marker support.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-20-2017 at 10:33 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote