Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Alex Stone
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper. Linux, and a journey of discovery...

After taking the plunge and deciding to install linux on the box, alongside vista, i offer the following.

My install distro of choice was originally JAD, as much to support the efforts of people who are trying to bring together a total audio solution, as an interest in seeing how far linux has come.
Sadly, and i assume because of my inexperience with linux, I couldn't get this going at all. Install stalled, and wouldn't play with my amd64 dual core. Graphics vanished, and the programme just wouldn't play.
I continue to offer these chaps my support and encouragement, and hope that new linux users like me can, one day soon, have a relatively trouble free install of what seems to be a fine effort at giving us a complete audio solution. I wish them well.

I then turned to Ubuntu, and to the contrary of the above experience, it installed relatively painlessly.
(A note here. If you own an ATI graphics card, there is a known problem with the install and regular boot. At boot, simply hold down Ctrl+Alt+F2, or Alt+F2, and the graphics will work. Thanks to the chaps at JAD's forum for this tip.)

After install,i explored the distro fairly extensively in a short time, including running Reaper with an initial wine setup. My thanks go to Justin, Christophe and the reap team for their linux support. Reaper performed well, even with the horrendous latency that, after some internet perusing, seems to be almost accepted as part of the current Alsa infrastructure, without extensive tweaking and some degree of linux knowledge.
All attempts on my part to install and configure wineasio failed, and despite some late night sessions trawling the net for info, i failed to get this working, or even seen in the programme.

I rather enjoyed the speed and smooth operation of the standard ubuntu package (7.10), and decided to uninstall that and go for the audio,vid specific package UbuntuStudio.(7.10)

Again, a fairly easy install, and i was mildly impressed with the range of audio and vid programmes available. Linux has come a long way since our last meeting some years ago.
Again, Ubuntu Studio has, and relative to the alsa challenges, is,performing well. No crashes to date, and it boots and performs quite a deal faster than win. (I'm using the amd 64bit version.)

But again, i face difficulties with the wineasio setup. According to US, it's installed, and i can see it in the wine folder. It shows up in Reaper as an asio option, but with no ins and outs to choose from. It doesn't show up in wine config (nor does jack, but i'm betting i've yet to set that up properly as well.)
To my delight, even with these ongoing challenges, most of my VST's show up in Reaper on Ubuntu, and work well with no noticeable degradation of performance over Win.
As i'm predominately a midi and vst user, this isn't quite so bad, as i can adjust audio device settings when playing back or rendering,but it's still disconcerting, to say the least. I hope to sort this out over the next week or so, with some hard study, and hopefully some input from those linux gurus who so generously share their time and expertise.

So, for an initial gambit, and in my humble and limited linux experience, pretty ok so far. Reaper performs well with UBStudio, and continues my ongoing respect for this programme and it's developers. It's not only good, but tough, and adaptable too.

Now I'm going back to the linux/wine/asio audio setup journey............

Just two roubles worth.

Alex.

p.s. Shup works in Ubuntu/wine as well.
Excellent.

EDIT 1/1/2008:: A big thank you to Justin, Christophe, and the Reaper team for allowing this thread to grow, and, in a sense, mature. It hasn't always been directly related toward Reaper, yet it still.....lives, lol.
Cheers chaps, your openminded perspective is much appreciated. I'm learning much from all the input, and i hope others interested in the topics we're discussing get something out of it too.

Great attitude.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 01-01-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
charles.monteiro

Alex, thanks for the post. I've been contemplating putting Linux on my PowerMac G4 500mhz dual processor for which I need to at least jack up the ram. I was wondering what distro to try , I guess I'll check the ubuntu studio, hopefully they have a PowerMac port.
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
404NotFound

Is the Jack server running? Did you run

regsvr32 wineasio.dll

after installing wineasio?
404NotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404NotFound View Post
Is the Jack server running? Did you run

regsvr32 wineasio.dll

after installing wineasio?
404, yes i did. Wineasio shows up in Reaper/wine as an Asio audio device, but i get an error message telling me there's a prob.
The Jack server runs without RT, but with RT it stops soon after it's started.

Message reads:cannot send request type 7 to server
cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)
cannot send request type 7 to server
cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)
jackd: no process killed.

Alex.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 11-21-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Zargon the Destroyer

Funny!

I've been battling with Ubuntu (with a view to using Ardour) over the last few days, but ultimately the fact that it's a HUGE PAIN IN THE ARSE to get dual monitors running (with an ATI card) has put me off.

The Ubuntu desktop (with the flashy cube thing) is simply awesome for about 20 minutes until it gets boring.

I uninstalled. Probably try again if they ever get dual head stuff running without requiring huge config editing.

A word of warning, if you're running grub (for booting), uninstalling (Ubuntu) will break your master boot record and you'll need to repair it using the XP/Vista disc.
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
404NotFound

@Alex:

The Jack behaviour you reported is quite strange. Seems like you aren't running a realtime-capable kernel, but since you installed UStudio, that kernel must be running by default... I must admit that I have no experiences with 64bit systems, so your problems can also be related to your amd64 system. I heard somewhere that wine wouldn't even run on 64bit PCs, but this seems to be wrong Just post your problems to the Ubuntu forums, they're pretty good.

@Zargon:

I also had problems with dualhead since the Gutsy update, but I figured out that it has become ridiculously simple - one tweak in the xorg.conf (set virtual screen size to an appropriate value) and one command (xrandr --output VGA [or whatever] --right-of LVDS [or whatever else]).

@Charles:

Ubuntu is available for PowerPC, but wine (and Reaper) will never run on it.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
nyarla

In Winecfg you have to set the audio to alsa anyway, according to the wineasio instructions (or was it the JACK instructions? i forget)..

I recently installed Ubuntu as well (not the studio version or anything, just the regular one), and have managed to get REAPER working with JACK/wineasio alright. I installed the realtime kernel, but JACK doesn't work with the "realtime" box checked. It gives "cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1210099008, from thread -1210099008] (1: Operation not permitted). cannot create engine"

REAPER runs alright, though the graphics are very slow to update (even when WINE is set to emulate virtual desktop). Every time I use scrollbars or open a window, the sound starts breaking up.. I usually have to hit stop and play, and then it's fine again.

This is all using my laptop's onboard sound btw, my audio interface doesn't work in linux.

I'm not sure if the audio breakup and slow gfx are because I have something setup incorrectly, or if it's just because my pc is a bit old.. (pentium-m 1.86ghz, 1gb, 64mb ati x300).

So i'll keep tweaking it and see what happens..
nyarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

^&& $*&*% %(&* ^)( &)*(&)*( &_&_ &* &_*&* &_(*& %( $*& ^(*% )_&* (

I installed ubuntu for like the 20th time this week this morning...had it pretty good last nite, running reaper, but some part of that tinfoil hat wearing paranoiac insanity security system borked my install

I did a image of it so now I got a fresh one, lets cross fingers... I hope we see line6 drivers soon. I tried the experimental one with no luck but

pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
nyarla

Hmm, just figured out that running JACKcontrol as root lets me enable the realtime option - but then REAPER doesn't list any i/o under ASIO audio device... so I guess maybe the realtime option isn't meant to be checked? I never actually read anything saying it was meant to be, just thought maybe it would help..

(sorry, just replying to myself really, got no answers for anyone else's REAPER-in-linux probs)
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
nyarla

ok, replying to myself again, but perhaps this will help someone?

got REAPER working properly with the "realtime" option in JACK by running both JACK and WINE with sudo.. (running them as the root user). If you weren't already doing that, give it a try.. it's running a lot better here now! Yay!

running it as a normal user I got a similar problem to Alex Stone - REAPER lists wineasio, but no I/Os..

[edit]
Just ignore me! Guys on irc told me how to change the config so that JACK works in realtime mode as a normal user. Probably better than running it as root i guess.

Last edited by nyarla; 11-21-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Alex Stone

Default wineasio and the amd...

After some concerted effort, and a lot of help from chaps far smarter with linux than i, it seems wineasio build 0.5, isn't built for amd64, in 64bit.
Not sure if this can be modded or, bluntly, i've missed something, but a heads up for those who might try this, and not understand why it doesn't want to compile or install.

Many many thanks to Woot, Nya,and Jack for the help with Jack. A successful collaboration, that has Jack in UbuntuStudio down to 3-4ms in the latest rt kernel, with an onboard soundcard. Your help is much appreciated fellas.

Alex.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarla View Post
ok, replying to myself again, but perhaps this will help someone?

got REAPER working properly with the "realtime" option in JACK by running both JACK and WINE with sudo.. (running them as the root user). If you weren't already doing that, give it a try.. it's running a lot better here now! Yay!

running it as a normal user I got a similar problem to Alex Stone - REAPER lists wineasio, but no I/Os..

[edit]
Just ignore me! Guys on irc told me how to change the config so that JACK works in realtime mode as a normal user. Probably better than running it as root i guess.
For the people that weren't on irc. once you install the linux-rt kernel, you should read the following instructions to give jack access to the RT kernel: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...dioPreparation

As per advice from wOOt, i changes the priority of jack to 89, and checked soft mode. Made a world of difference to me. Screen redraws are much snappier.

I was running EZdrummer & GR3 on a P4 3GHz tonight with 6ms latency!
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #13
StudioDave

Default linux and reaper

Always nice to see someone jump on the ship. Welcome aboard, and please let me know if you need any specific help with Linux. I've been using it since ~1995, it's been my main OS since 1999, and I do all my music and sound production on it. Typically I use native tools (Ardour, JOST, various synths & plugins), but I like a lot of the VST/VSTi plugins I've run with Reaper, so I feel I'm getting the best of both worlds by being able to use Reaper under Linux.

Anyway, yes, there's a bunch of Linux Reaperites here, they seem like good people, ready to assist. And if you're in the mood to read some articles about Linux music and sound software :

http://www.linuxjournal.com/user/800764/track

Have fun.
StudioDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:48 AM   #14
StudioDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post
After some concerted effort, and a lot of help from chaps far smarter with linux than i, it seems wineasio build 0.5, isn't built for amd64, in 64bit.
Not sure if this can be modded or, bluntly, i've missed something, but a heads up for those who might try this, and not understand why it doesn't want to compile or install.
One problem is that you can't connect to a 64-bit JACK from a 32-bit instance of wineasio. This problem may be resolved sometime soon, maybe not. Meanwhile, you can build Wine and wineasio for 64-bits. I've not experimented with any 64-bit native Windows music and sound software, sorry.

For perspective: I run Reaper on a JAD box (2.4 GHz) with OpenSUSE 10.2, with Wine and wineasio for a reported latency between 2 to 6 ms. I run Reaper on my 64 Studio box (2 GHz) with a 32-bit build of Wine but without wineasio and get a much higher latency report (between 24 and 164 ms). Sound hardware is the same for both machines (M-Audio Delta 66), and both systems are configured for realtime kernel performance.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #15
Alex Stone

Default The journey continues.....

Dave, i'd read a good deal of your fine work before i even set foot in the linux audio door, lol.
And after the 64bit experiment, i decided to D/L the 32bit version and install that. No probs, and lo and behold, wineasio comes up, Reaper takes off, and latency drops to between a comfortable 6-10ms (onboard soundcard). Only 4 vsti's fail to fire, and although i'm getting some twitching in two others, everything seems to be stable and playing ok. So far so good with UbuntuStudio 32bit.

Dave, any help will be appreciated.
Alex.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #16
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioDave View Post
...Typically I use native tools (Ardour, JOST, various synths & plugins), but I like a lot of the VST/VSTi plugins I've run with Reaper, so I feel I'm getting the best of both worlds by being able to use Reaper under Linux.
Ooh, JOST looks cool. Can you actually route audio out of Reaper, into JOST and back?

Must try.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #17
404NotFound

Of course you can - that's the advantage of the whole linux audio thing
Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #18
StudioDave

Quote:
Dave, i'd read a good deal of your fine work before i even set foot in the linux audio door, lol.

Quote:
... after the 64bit experiment, i decided to D/L the 32bit version and install that. No probs, and lo and behold, wineasio comes up, Reaper takes off, and latency drops to between a comfortable 6-10ms (onboard soundcard).
That's pretty impressive. Onboard soundchips don't usually perform so well under Linux.

Quote:
Only 4 vsti's fail to fire, and although i'm getting some twitching in two others, everything seems to be stable and playing ok. So far so good with UbuntuStudio 32bit.

Dave, any help will be appreciated.
Check the compatibility database for more information about running specific VST/VSTi plugins under Linux :

http://ladspavst.linuxaudio.org/

Lots of helpful info there. Alas, some just don't work and probably never will.

Alex, thanks for the report re: Ubuntu. I'm getting contradictory reports about it, some folks love it, some hate it. I'm wedded to Debian these days in 64 Studio and OpenSUSE in JAD, and it's unlikely I'll have any chance soon to try Ubunutu Studio, so I appreciate the saga of your efforts.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
^&& $*&*% %(&* ^)( &)*(&)*( &_&_ &* &_*&* &_(*& %( $*& ^(*% )_&* (
Ahh I see the problem there. You're missing a few close parentheses. Otherwise perl should parse that OK.

Quote:
I did a image of it so now I got a fresh one, lets cross fingers... I hope we see line6 drivers soon. I tried the experimental one with no luck but
I got the driver for my PODxt working quite a while back, is it the USB audio/control thing you're hoping for, or something like GearBox? We could probably figure out the former, not so sure about the latter... unless you just run GearBox under wine.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #20
Zargon the Destroyer

Quote:

@Zargon:

I also had problems with dualhead since the Gutsy update, but I figured out that it has become ridiculously simple - one tweak in the xorg.conf (set virtual screen size to an appropriate value) and one command (xrandr --output VGA [or whatever] --right-of LVDS [or whatever else]).
Hmmm. I tried and failed a number of times - I think it might be my specific card (9250)...
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #21
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Of course you can - that's the advantage of the whole linux audio thing
Other than the completely free OS, and run headless, and stuff like that

I've always wondered what it would take to make your own guitar/vocal effects processor with a linux box, like a rack unit or even something like a Mac mini form factor.

CF card (or USB drive) booting, USB or Firewire inputs so you can use your own interface, MIDI I/O, LCD display... If it can be done for about the price of a PODxt (or X3) it would be a superb alternative! Of course it would need to run ReaPlugs somehow.

Sounds like a good LJ article.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #22
Alex Stone

Default And the journey still continues..........

UbuntuStudio 32bit is really starting to settle in now, and after figuring out how to install win progs into wine (doh) a few of my fallback favourites have responded, and others have died.
Ce La vie. :P
Wineasio with Jack is pretty impressive. Further tweaking, and i've found that 'sweet spot' that we all lust for, and never appears to be in the same place from one comp to the next.
After an inital hiccup with a ttf-opensymbol file not working properly, (and my reinstalling from the net after dumping the cd-rom build of that file), everything's going well. The latency from my modest onboard card is even better with linux, than i ever enjoyed in vista32. Some food for thought there, for me at least.

I'm still a new user at installing from the terminal,and the file structure, and downloaded location, has me scratching my head from time to time, but slowly and surely the lights are coming on the grey matter. I'll continue to persue this, and thanks to all who have contributed for the tips, stories of woe, and links.

Dave, the vst list is enlightening to say the least, and i never dreamed half of the successful vst's would perform as they do. Credit to the devs of wine and wineasio. I hope to post pics soon, as soon as i figure out how to get shup and stashbox working properly, and maybe some of my mistakes will serve as a visual prompt forsuggestions and ways to avoid crashing and burning (which fortunately i've managed to avoid so far.)

I'll keep posting observations from the perspective of a new linux user, and i hope, embittered old tuxheads aside , that those who may be interested get something from this thread, and put their toe in the linux pond with a little more confidence.

(Note: The graphic issue at boot with ATI drivers is present in the 32bit version of ubuntu gusty 7.10, as well. And the Alt+F2 trick at boot works for this version too, so all is not lost.)

Alex.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
404NotFound

@Zargon:

Hmmm, I've already heard from others that the 9250 isn't exactly the best choice for Linux graphics... Maybe you should give Linux another try when you need a new card.

@BoxOfSnoo:

You'll be surprised if you read the story behind the JS FX: http://www.jesusonic.com/

@Alex:

Good to know that everything works for you now. If you run into problems, just ask here.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:12 PM   #24
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
@BoxOfSnoo:

You'll be surprised if you read the story behind the JS FX: http://www.jesusonic.com/
Yeah I knew about that. Is it Linux though? I'd like something a bit smaller, of course. It doesn't need a footswitch if it has MIDI too.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #25
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
I got the driver for my PODxt working quite a while back, is it the USB audio/control thing you're hoping for, or something like GearBox? We could probably figure out the former, not so sure about the latter... unless you just run GearBox under wine.
As long as I can use it as an I/O it would be great

Otherwise I gotta deal with two sets of speakers on my laptop

BONUS if the midi controller from the keyboard would work but first things first
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #26
Alex Stone

Default font problem...

First challenge in wine.
Got a font not displaying correctly. (See ruler and transport bar)
Any clues as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/53181/fontproblem.png

Alex

p.s. Sorry about the lack of pic, and the link. Still trying to get shup to play in linux.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #27
StudioDave

Quote:
First challenge in wine.
Got a font not displaying correctly. (See ruler and transport bar)
Any clues as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/53181/fontproblem.png

Alex

p.s. Sorry about the lack of pic, and the link. Still trying to get shup to play in linux.
Alex, I'm not at home right now, and I couldn't view your pic. However, font problems can be resolved in Wine fairly easily. Have you used the winecfg utility yet ? IIRC there's also a default font that you should put in ~/.wine (but don't quote me yet on that).

I'll be home later today, will contact you then about the font.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:15 AM   #28
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
As long as I can use it as an I/O it would be great

Otherwise I gotta deal with two sets of speakers on my laptop

BONUS if the midi controller from the keyboard would work but first things first
Ubuntu has an old "podxtpro" driver installed. Did you use that or grab the newer one from www.tanzband-scream.at/line6/

Walk through that installation - especially the Ubuntu "gotcha" and you can PM me your issues, maybe we'll work it out.

MIDI-USB is another thing, I got my M-Audio Oxygen 8 working at one point, and it might be the same procedure.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #29
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioDave View Post
Alex, I'm not at home right now, and I couldn't view your pic. However, font problems can be resolved in Wine fairly easily. Have you used the winecfg utility yet ? IIRC there's also a default font that you should put in ~/.wine (but don't quote me yet on that).

I'll be home later today, will contact you then about the font.
Dave, your help would be much appreciated. All the dots. are showing up as 'mi' if that means anything, among other little glitches here and there.

On the thoroughly bright side though, i haven't turned Jack on all day, just reap with a few orchestral VST's. It's running fine on the wineasio driver, and latency is down to 5ms. (with the rt kernel loaded.)
That's a tad over my vista latency norm (4ms), but the sound quality has improved. I have no idea why, but please don't construe this as a complaint.
Far from it!!

Alex.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 11-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #30
Laika

Quote:
, but the sound quality has improved. I have no idea why, but please don't construe this as a complaint.
Far from it!!

Alex.

I know some very very respectable mastering engeneers that swear the Mac sounds better than Windows............ my friend doesn't also understand why, but he swears it does.

I allways thought: "inpossible, it's the soundcard and drivers".
Your statement really shocked me
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #31
Tallisman

Quote:
On the thoroughly bright side though, i haven't turned Jack on all day, just reap with a few orchestral VST's. It's running fine on the wineasio driver, and latency is down to 5ms. (with the rt kernel loaded.)
Alex.
Ummm I am confused by this. I though Jack Control was needed. I can get reaper going in Ubuntu Studio with the JC latency at ~6ms but playback is flakey especially when scrolling...

Am I understanding you correctly? You are using WineAsio without Jack running? I seem to get nothing like that. I will try tonight when I get home, but I'd appreciate a repro here

I feel like such a bewb errrm I mean newb in linux, it is all so fun though. I have my Tomboy notes up collecting a list of terminal commands I seem to be using lots... but what does the tar zxvf wineasio-0.1.tar.gz zxvf mean?

looking for linux for dummies,

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #32
plush2

Hey Talisman, I can empathize and sympathize fully. If you want the skinny on pretty much any of those command line applications try typing for example "man tar" if you want to learn details about the tar program. This is just another command line app called "man" that shows a text manual for the selected application and just about all of them have one as opposed to the --help tag which doesn't always bring up useful information. When you're done reading the "man page" (the common term for these) then you can exit using ctrl-z (I think, I'm not on linux right now). I used to avoid opening man pages because I didn't know how to close them when I was done. I would kill the whole terminal and start again....hehe.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #33
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
... but what does the tar zxvf wineasio-0.1.tar.gz zxvf mean?
tar - Tape Archiver (forget the tape part. It sews up files into a single one.

xzvf - eXtract, gZipped, Verbose, from File...

filename.tar.gz - shows there is a tar archive that is also compressed. This is typically 2 processes in Unix, it's a bit more efficient and sometimes tar doesn't really need or want compression, and compression is sometimes only a single file, so why use an archiver?

Sometimes you come across bzip2ed files - it's a tighter compression. In that case use xjvf instead of xzvf
Old 11-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #34
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
Hey Talisman, I can empathize and sympathize fully. If you want the skinny on pretty much any of those command line applications try typing for example "man tar" if you want to learn details about the tar program. This is just another command line app called "man" that shows a text manual for the selected application and just about all of them have one as opposed to the --help tag which doesn't always bring up useful information. When you're done reading the "man page" (the common term for these) then you can exit using ctrl-z (I think, I'm not on linux right now). I used to avoid opening man pages because I didn't know how to close them when I was done. I would kill the whole terminal and start again....hehe.
Ctrl-Z puts processes in the background. fg brings them back.

man will run the text through your pager, usually "less". Press q to exit.

Also worth noting, / will start a search, space is page forward, and b is page backwards.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #35
Tallisman

thanks to the both of you.
I am swimming in a new paradigm here.
I feel like a fish out of water.

t.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #36
chip mcdonald

Quote:
I did a image of it so now I got a fresh one, lets cross fingers... I hope we see line6 drivers soon.
frick, I saw your image and thought "hey, I've been just using my TonePort instead of the MOTU recently... I should try UBuntu now"...

Oh well.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #37
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
I got the driver for my PODxt working quite a while back,
This is with a "vanilla" UBuntu install? I'm hoping to get an XTLive shortly, but for now it'd be cool if I could get my TonePort to work....

Are you taking a performance hit using the XT with Reaper under UBuntu? Since it's emulated, I presume VSTs work the same...?
Old 11-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #38
Alex Stone

Default linux ttf-opensymbol....

Ok, after a day of exploration, i finally managed to get this sorted out, so Dave, relax, lol. Turns out it's a identifiable bug that can be fixed by 'touching' the related files. (something to do with timestamping i think.)

The saga continues......

p.s. Yes Talli, i'm running wineasio without jack. Works.
Don't ask me why, cos i'm as much in the dark with linux as you are, lol. I got lucky, and grateful for that.

Alex.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #39
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
This is with a "vanilla" UBuntu install? I'm hoping to get an XTLive shortly, but for now it'd be cool if I could get my TonePort to work....

Are you taking a performance hit using the XT with Reaper under UBuntu? Since it's emulated, I presume VSTs work the same...?
I don't have Ubuntu, I'm a die-hard Debian user

I'm not sure if TonePorts will work... if it does, it will just be a USB interface. The advantage of the XTs are that they are all processed onboard, so again, it's just USB-Audio. No processing hit at all, in that case. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've used the XT and Reaper on wine all together, though I know I used them separately. Gimme a bit and I'll try it.

I'm not sure if GearBox (the tone-processing version for TonePorts, not the patch-management version for XTs) will work under wine, but you can try.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #40
BoxOfSnoo

OK, I tested it. Yes, it works, with the following gotchas.

At first I couldn't get the frame size below 1024. JACK just wouldn't start. I also wanted to try setting different devices for input and output, but it didn't like that. I couldn't get it to detect the device without JACK running. I suspect it's an issue with permissions, seeing as I'm running it as a user and not root.

Update: I added "kdesu" in front of the command line for both qjackctl and reaper and it came up with 512 samples! Can I go lower yet?

Update 2: Woohoo! 256 samples if I check off "realtime". This requires running as root or the kdesu command.

Last edited by BoxOfSnoo; 11-23-2007 at 01:16 PM.
BoxOfSnoo is offline   Reply With Quote