Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #321
sfiks
Human being with feelings

Cakewalk pro audio 9 > Sonar 3 > Tracktion 3 > REAPER
sfiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #322
Argle

Because Sonar was annoying the crap out of me, and Reaper didn't.
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #323
blackenedheart

Glad to share a story with you guys today. So I have been using Reaper and Logic for years. The problem is Logic recently started some very strange "track omitting" behavior. Basically, a track wouldn't play, or sometimes would be randomly lost, never to return. I mix metal professionally and I can't be having clients tracks just disappearing at random.

Reaper fires up in 2 seconds flat. It's a fucking great program. Too many menu options still IMHO. Give me less choices and I will be happier.
blackenedheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #324
blackenedheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
From PT LE

Non-real time rendering -- PT STILL forces rendering in real time.
Is this really true?
blackenedheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #325
Nystagmus

Default Why I switched to Reaper

Music Creator's (baby Sonar's) interface was cluttered and some of the routine settings were a bit complex to learn.

MultitrackStudio Pro Plus didn't have multiple output VSTi support and also lacked a true freeze function. The built in WAV editor functions still had a few minor glitches.

FL Studio was too expensive to get the full version with freeze functions and WAV file support and I had trouble learning how to use the interface.

I most definately didn't feel comfortable using a Tracker, and nothing else seemed complete enough.

EnergyXT didn't have multicore support and wasn't as easy to learn for MIDI automation and control surface use.

And thus came Reaper. What really helped was the complete manual. So I could learn many of the functions and decide if it was for me. The price was right and it definately has a community of support. Also, Cockos finally got rid of some of the early bugs that didn't allow me to even try the demo.

There's been other stuff like ProTools and Nuendo and Cubase, but their prices have been through the roof. Even Bitwig seems too expensive. Reaper has a cost that makes sense.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #326
barefaced

comming from cubase vst -> NTrack 4 -> cubase essentials 5 -> reaper 4

NTrack was a nice software but has had to many bugs (in version 4) so I switched back to cubase. More stable, but it has to many restrictions in this cheap Version (costs twice as much as reaper!). So finally I came to reaper. No problems 'till now. Great program.
barefaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #327
chrisharbin

This old thing? I switched again. Not going into all the details.

Still, reap on the cheap is better than some of the rest for $$$$
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #328
burak

I had Sonar and it was getting clunky, Reaper was much more faster and the routing, sidechaining etc.. were other factors.
I also had Protools LE and it was even worse than Sonar (no latency comp)
burak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #329
hopi

I was drunk
Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #330
rightonthemark

from sonar.
because i outgrew the free version that came with my first interface.
reaper because of the reviews and community, the price was right, and most of all the customizing ability.
and let's not forget...they let me kick the tires of the one and only full version for 60 days before i purchased.
that really sold me on what i can do with it that when i bought it i was absolutely sure it was the daw for me.
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #331
airon

Still using Reaper because it lets me do almost everything I need to do on the machine I have, pretty much the way I want it.

Mostly post production duties (sound design, editing, mixing) and some music composition. Video works well, the community's great and the developers are quick to fix annoying bugs. And the price is nice too.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #332
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
The lounge is perfect. Lots of cheeseburger-loving folks that love to trade arguments right there in the lounge. That's the socially accepted way to go about these types of arguments.

Nathan, why are you still using Reaper ?

I've never seen a better way to do what I do. I've nothing to upgrade to, TBH.

Yes, I occasionally drool over the big Avid consoles, but they only work with PT, which I've never 100% got on with, can't afford to the level I'd want, and would get frustrated/bored with relearning the rigid workflow. I can't sit and write ReaScripts for it and so some of the fun is gone already

I'd love hardware with that degree of integration, (and if Mr Waddington and friends succeed with their quest I might consider a console), but REAPER as it stands does everything I need.

There's the small issue of the lack of dB graticules on the faders/theme engine (why?), the incomplete option to automatically create a relative render subfolder, and I'd really love native VCAs (I use them on hardware consoles), but I manage without.

The tool-less interface and the ability to configure and control what I like from my controllers based on the day's workflow does it for me. I'm not in front of REAPER (NIFOR) everyday, yet I can tweak and set-up quickly to work smoothly through most jobs. Add scripting into this and I'm working towards being able to write most of the "specials" I've wished existed for my odd working habits

On reflection, it seems a silly question...

Edit: It got transported while I was writing this, you made me enter the lounge! How do I "unset" the password?

Edit2: ...and back again. Now I'm feeling dizzy The web just won't stop while you're cutting and pasting Ollie!

>

Last edited by planetnine; 07-02-2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: miscarriage of justice/ bungee jumping...
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 AM   #333
Mind Riot

Aw, what?! I was being delightfully witty and insightful, playful yet with devastating logic!

<<THERE IS NO CENSORSHIP ON THIS FORUM>>

(Very funny WT.)

Myself, I got into PC recording years ago coming from stand alone digital multitrack machines, and before that tape based ones. So I was really starting from nothing, I didn't really have any experience with other DAW software.

I built a PC, bought an interface, and installed Sonar LE and Cubase LE which both came with the interface. I liked the look of Sonar better than Cubase, so I started there, and it instantly froze and made awful horrible screeching noises and I had to kill the process. I uninstalled and reinstalled and did the same with my interface drivers and finally e-mailed Sonar tech support for help.

I got a response with lengthy instructions and a file for a special setup in the interface mixing software(E-mu's Patchmix) to get it to work with Sonar LE, and I had to use that setup to make it work.

I thought, "Is this for real? I thought the whole thing about recording on the PC was its amazing flexibility and usefulness with a wide variety of plugs and software from different sources. This freaking DAW CAME with my interface and it's so crippled I can't even use the mixing software unless it's basically hardwired one way?"

I could have used Cubase LE or Ableton Live Lite, which were also included, but before I did that I just started researching online to see what was available and what sort of coin I'd have to part with. In the course of this, I kept seeing the name REAPER pop up in discussions and arguments where people talked about being fed up with the bugs and workarounds in their expensive DAW software and how they had switched over, and that mess sounded like exactly what I wanted to avoid.

So down the rabbit hole I went. And from day one, Reaper worked perfectly with all my hardware and has been fast, efficient, stable, and just all around freaking awesome. This was back in the 2.0 days, and I've never looked back.

So I guess I technically didn't really 'switch' to Reaper. More like I shopped around and chose it from the start. But, although at times unintuitive and demanding, Reaper provides such incredible flexibility and depth of customization that I've become very accustomed to being able to do just about anything I want with it in terms of GUI, track, channel, and effects routing, side-chaining, and editing. Reading the experiences of other users on various forums, I think I would find the forced workflow of some other software infuriating, especially when things become laborious and complicated in order to work around a bug or problem that should have simply been fixed already.

All that being said, compared to what I used to work with back in the day ALL the software available to us now is exceptionally capable and if anything we all suffer from an embarrassment of riches. But Reaper is still the king for me because of it's flexibility and stability, and exceptional community and developer response.

Last edited by Mind Riot; 07-07-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #334
gugabernardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackenedheart View Post
Is this really true?
Not anymore. Pro Tools 11 does have the offline bounce feature.
gugabernardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #335
analogexplosions

Its a speed of workflow for me, for sure. This is my software career path:

Pro Tools-> Logic->Pro Tools-> Reaper

I started years and years ago on Pro Tools with a Digi 001. I switched to Logic after I bought an Apple G5 and couldn't use PCI cards. I first bought the original M-box and owned it for a week total before selling it off. Total garbage. I happily used Logic for a long time (v6-v9). I started getting freelance gigs at studios so that forced me back into PT land, unfortunately. I know it like the back of my hand, and loath it with everything that is in me.

Working in Reaper is faster than anything. Even without a proper Area Selection implemented, I can edit a feature film in almost half the time it takes in Pro Tools. Reaper's automation system is clunky, and far behind PT's, yet I can still mix in half the time thanks to Item FX (and a well laid out set out custom actions on my MC Control! Thanks Geoff).

Everything's rock solid, and I don't spend half my day on google searching for "DAE error ____."
Old 07-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #336
djsynchro

I noticed that a new version of Reaper installs faster than Ableton Live starts from an SSD and I didn't use the real-time features of Live much, or the sounds, FX and Max.

Live is one of the buggiest programs I ever used versions 4 through 9. Reaper is one of the most stable programs I ever used.
djsynchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #337
NowoTone

I used to dabble in early Cubase versions, but never really got it working satisfactory (i.e. without crashing) probably because despite the super duper Terratec soundcard I had at the time (including optical and coaxial input) the rest of the hardware might not have been up to the task. I got myself a Yamaha 16 track HD recorder and was quite happy.

Then my brother presented a psychadelic mix of his (a one hour musical journey with songs from the 60s psychadelia to psytrance) with lots of additional sound material and effects woven in. I was quite impressed and he told me he did it in some programme the guy from Winamp had released. Since I really liked what I heard, I decided to give it a try. And suddenly everything fell into place. I had some stability issues in songs with lots of midi tracks, but that was due to the rather old laptop setup. Once I changed the company I worked for and could order a Macbook Pro with the (then) best spec*, I never looked back. My musical productivity rocketed and I'm really happy. I've since tried Ableton (what's that about? I just can't get it to work the way I want), Studio 1 (nice but no cigar) and Mixbus (that I actually use for fattening up the guitar sounds), but I have not found anything that is as versatile and easy to use as Reaper. Especially since I record both electronica and more traditional rock/pop, with different workflows, this is really what I need.

*Boss: "You are the only project manager who doesn't have an macbook air and the only non-developer to have ordered the max spec macbook pro. Why's that?"
Me: "I need it to make funky music"
Boss: "Oh, that's ok then"
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #338
wildschwein

I've been on Reaper for about 6-7 weeks and I'm loving it. I was using Pro Tools 8 LE with an MBox2 for about two years. I was comfortable and had learned a lot in that environment but the system is very unstable and constant restarts and reboots were required on every project. I often had to save before loading up a new plugin as there was a good chance of a crash. I realised I needed to learn a new system, so I downloaded Studio One's demo and tried out Reaper too. I spent about ten minutes in S1 (it's not for me) and simply took to Reaper a lot faster and have been pumping out music ever since -- it just fits the way I work and I'm loving it. I can do things with more ambition and more confidence than before just because of the system's stability and it's integrated so well with all my favourite free VST plugins. I had tried Reaper a while back but was still learning about computer recording and didn't understand it then but I'm a 100% into now.
wildschwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #339
The Telenator
Banned

I want to keep it short:

At work we used Pro Tools at the longest place I worked and Cubase/Nuendo at the two others. I wasn't fond of much of it. Many guys at the desk also cussed a lot like I often did.

Starting up a home studio, I went with Cubase, since at least I knew it. I still hated Cubase. Even more without others to help or blame for my inability to make the stupid DAW work right.

I then tested many others. Had a serious affair with the most beautiful Zynewave Podium, but she wasn't as sexy and full-featured as Reaper by a long short.

It was inevitable. Reaper rules. It have it customised and doing my every bidding. Seriously, Reaper beat out all the others I tried. And I tried all except Studio One, Motu's DP8 and maybe one other, lesser known.

I'm sticking with Reaper. Works great! (Shameless, gushing fanboi thread to follow in a few days or weeks -- it's time.)
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #340
numberthirty

From - Cubase.

Lost dongle. Probably a common story. Downloaded Reaper while trying to make up my mind about the Cubase situation.

Once I tried out Reaper, I forgot all about Cubase. Reaper may be the most user friendly software I have ever come across.
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #341
sikejsudjek

Got fed up with Sonar crashing.... very impressed with Reaper's stability and price.
sikejsudjek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #342
Mordi

Used FL Studio for about 6 years, making synth based music with software only. Recently switched to Reaper some months ago after getting more interested in recording instruments. Obtained a drum set, some guitars and a midi keyboard - as well as a mixer and some monitors.

I did try Studio One for a while, and even bought the Pro version - but that was before I discovered Reaper. I wish I had discovered it sooner! Would have saved me about 300 dollars...
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #343
k!lowatt

I kind of defaulted to Reaper because I'd heard it was really easy to extend and develop for, and it just so happened that the only SHOUTcast plugin I knew of was for Reaper...

iTunes Radio: Staggered Laboratories - Facets
k!lowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #344
PICT

I'm a long time Logic user but my Mac started acting up and I couldn't afford a new one but as I had a windows machine I bought Sonar.Sonar always performed poorly for me on different PCs it has many features but for me it had too many niggly bugs and a glitchy audio engine it is a cpu hog on my machines.I started using the Nebula plugin and Sonar couldn't handle any more than a few tracks without distortion I blamed it on Nebula which is a very cpu intensive plugin,then I read on Henry Olonga's website(he produces libraries for use in Nebula) that he switched from Sonar to Reaper and could run many more instances of the Nebula plugin.I tried Reaper and lo and behold I got the same results many more instances of Nebula.I asked on the Sonar forum if there was any way I could optimise Sonar to get similar results and after trying every suggestion I gave up on Sonar and switched to Reaper,then I discovered how easy it was to customise it with themes (I use WT imperial) and how stable it was and how easy it was on resources I was converted.When I consider how affordable Reaper is compared to how much I spent on Sonar and its extras I feel very disappointed and somewhat ripped off by Cakewalk.If Reaper did midi like Logic and had a Notation editor of the quality of the one in Logic it would be nigh on perfect for me.
PICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #345
crootnik

I was using a Roland VS 1680 in the 1990s up to 2005 or so.. Worked with ACID3 then ACID 7... messed with ProTools LE for about 6 months, because the wifey had it installed on a Sweetwater machine she bought with all the bundled crap. She never used it, and I did not like work flow on PT.

I had purchased Reaper late in 2011 in order to transfer all my Roland RDAC files to wav, along with a converter software tool that some guys developed who post over there at the VS Planet forum. I would then import the wav files into PT and do rough mixes. I never used ProTools as a recording DAW.

Finally gave up on PT, and while I have found the Reaper learning process to be a bit steep, I'm learning it bit by bit and I now know enough to record new songs from scratch on Reaper.... I really like the work flow. And while I do miss the paint/erase tools in ACID7, Reaper makes up for it in countless other ways..So it's been 6 months.

love Reaper-- hate the Drake --- love Reaper.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #346
los marbles

Ive been at this for 30 years, after analog tape, it was dig reels, then PT, then cubase, then PT, then Logic, then PT again, and now Reaper. I just put together a home rig and with no money leftover for software. I thought I would try Reaper and save $ for PT.

I may not return to PT (no issues with PT at all) because there is a lot to like about Reaper.

I havent laid my money down yet as I have one major issue to resolve and a few small ones first.

The big issue (and deal breaker) is getting rid of the playback clicks and pops. I have read and read and tried everything I came across...and it may just be my Steinberg UR28M that is causing the problems...I'm not sure yet. I cant live with clicks and pops though.

Another smaller problem is importing tracks from other sessions. It's a big part of my workflow and it's not really doable other than copy and pasting items from other sessions (as far as I know)...but that doesnt bring the entire channel, plugs, envelopes, and all into my session.

Some other diffs than I can live with.

If I can get these fixed Im completely on board.
los marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #347
stumpbroke1

At first just to look cool in front of my friends, I thought it made me look older, the cigarettes just didn't work any more, but then I realized how cool it was to be a Mortal........AND SOMEBODY HAD TO GO AND SCREW THAT UP, DIDN'T THEY! But seriously I came from Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 thru Sonar 8.5.3 and just got tired of rebooting every 30 minutes or so due to constant crashes, quickly realized how not only how stable Reaper is, but how truly Powerful it is for such a small foot print, and a very knowledgeable, Civil and supportive Forum is a big plus as well..
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #348
The Telenator
Banned

I think it is worth adding, as a sort of side note, the 'times' or situation when I made the move to Reaper.

I've checked lately and Cubase, even Pro Tools, are much improved in the last couple of years. But I left Cubase as a true "Cubase Refugee" during Cubase 5, which was the most obnoxious expression/edition of Cubase that I think any of us had experienced. Then, to add insult in their typical Steinberg way of alienating and insulting their customers, they released 5.5 -- not a full-point upgrade -- and then attempted to make us PAY for it. What was 5.5? It was really nothing more than a giant hotfix to solve the many horrible things that had gone wrong in the earlier edition(s). It should have been free and a peace offering to the many of us who were completely frustrated at that point. Oh, how Cubase would lock up over almost any plugin or trouble. The eLiscenser would cease to function on your most important recording day without fail. You could never do a System Restore on your machine, for that would cause your liscensing to cease function totally until Steinberg could bail you out ... which always took at least three days for them to return with help.

This was life under Cubase and perhaps most other DAWs just a couple of years ago. I recall that Pro Tools always had some disturbing issue going on. It seemed every time AVID/Digi-D fixed one major bug or complaint that another one would be created ... things like tracks not panning the way they were instructed and other bizarre problems that crept in and that many of us would discover way late in the mix. Almost seemed like PT had a mind of its own.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like Reaper was the first DAW that began to accept plugins very well and with almost never an issue. That was one of the big deals at this time -- DAWs having fits over plugins. Sure, we're talking a time when a lot of plugs were still poorly written and quite dodgy, but I began to see how Reaper would be inclined to put up with even the crappy plugins I would sometimes test on it.

Besides Reaper's always increasing stability then (and, I suppose, now), I found its almost-too-many, plentiful controls a real plus. What sealed the thing for me and assured me that I had found a DAW I could stick with was the ability to customise. Having the look and screen arranged for ease of use and drop-down menus loaded with only the options I wanted to find there encourages me to get work done, makes full days of sitting before the computer quite tolerable and, probably most important, never gets in the way or stifles creativity.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #349
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by los marbles View Post
Another smaller problem is importing tracks from other sessions. It's a big part of my workflow and it's not really doable other than copy and pasting items from other sessions (as far as I know)...but that doesnt bring the entire channel, plugs, envelopes, and all into my session.
http://www.aatranslator.com.au/
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #350
Glennbo

I switched to Reaper because the roll of 1" tape for my Ampex AG440B-8 broke and I don't know how to convert my US dollars into Frank's dollars. This Swiss watch shop is the only place left on the planet with 1" rolls of 456 Grand Master. <G>

http://www.swisstechshop.com/ampex-4...ring-tape.html
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #351
los marbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Thanks G-sun. Ill check that out.

John
los marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #352
rvman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
THANK YOU !!!!!!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #353
rvman

My story is much the same as all others. But I use Reason along with Reaper. A great combo.

As for my part here, I will add that I like the business model and wish to support this group and this forum.