Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
ezurick
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and UAD cards

I don't see a whole lot of information on here about the compatibility of the UAD cards with Reaper. Basically a few short threads. Some claim it works, some folks seem to have issues.

Now that UAD has dropped the prices of the UAD-1 cards because they are now selling the UAD-2 cards, I think it is time to get a thread going.

I seen one post that claimed Universal Audio doesn't recognize or support Reaper as a DAW software. Does anyone know if that is still true?

For those that have the UAD working well with Reaper, can you explain anything you done special to get it working (besides install the UAD software and card). Where do the special UAD effects show up? Are they conglomerated within the VST plugs? Or do they show up somewhere else?

Since I never had a UAD card, tell us your opinion of the basic effects of the UAD card (ie. eq, compressor, reverb, etc.). Are there any latency issues? Do they sound as good as the cost? Are they all mono -> stereo for each track? Anything else you want to add.

I am trying to get a good thread going for the UAD compatibility because with the price drop of the UAD-1 cards, I believe there will be a lot more folks using them. I have been trying to find a bargain (ebay, etc.) on one of the UAD-1e specials, but no luck so far. I am hearing/reading good things about the more expensive UAD-2 technology and power. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks... ~ peace!
ezurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 AM   #2
billybk1

If you do a forum search of "UAD-1" I am sure you will find a lot of posts over the years about using the plugins successfully in REAPER. However, if you want to get up to speed quickly then you may want to checkout the REAPER/UAD-1 link in my sig for some actual tutorials.

As far as the UAD-2 goes, I have one and it is the better solution if you can afford one. Better driver compatibilty with REAPER, more power and a more advanced feature set as well.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Last edited by billybk1; 04-21-2009 at 03:38 AM.
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
moio

I found a UAD-1e at sweetwater. Did you have a look there? maybe they're still on stock ...
moio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
audioguytodd

I just got my first UAD-1e card last week from Sweetwater.

So far, everything works just fine.

Last edited by audioguytodd; 04-21-2009 at 01:50 PM.
audioguytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
ezurick

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguytodd View Post
I just got my first UAD-1e card last week from Sweetwater.

So far, everything works just fine.
Can you please tell us where do you see the UAD plugins? Are they marked as UAD in the VST? Just curious where they show up.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
ezurick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezurick View Post
Can you please tell us where do you see the UAD plugins? Are they marked as UAD in the VST? Just curious where they show up.
Not sure why this is such a hard question to get answered, but could someone explain how the UAD plugins show up in Reaper please? Are they listed in the VST plugins, or are they listed by themselves? Just trying to get an idea how they show up concerning ease of use. My VST listing is getting pretty clustered.

Another question I can't seem to find is regarding the UAD-2. I see the UAD-2 Solo listed for $499 and it comes with the 5 basic free plugs. Then I see the UAD-2 Nevana listed for $699 and it claims to have 32 channels with a few different plugs. However reading into the details of the Nevana, it claims to have the UAD-2 Solo card. How can they be different. If the Nevana is 32 channels, what is the UAD-2 Solo card. A $200 difference is just what plugs are packaged? I am confused. I also see the Nevana is claimed to be like the Neve-88 console. But again, if the Nevana comes with the UAD-2 Solo card, the difference is what plugins are packaged. Can anyone enlighten me on the differences please?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
ezurick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moio View Post
I found a UAD-1e at sweetwater. Did you have a look there? maybe they're still on stock ...
Well, I am not a big fan of Sweetwater. And I did order from them a few weeks ago. Even ordered it with overnight shipping. A few moments after ordering, one of the sales guy calls me to say it is not in stock and they are expecting them the following monday. I cancelled in attempts to find it elsewhere. Nothing! I called back that next monday and asked to reinstate my order. No problem. I waited until tuesday for shipment. Nothing. I called and they claim that they weren't sure when they would get the next stock in. Grrrrr! So I cancelled again! Now I see they removed the UAD-1e from the online inventory... Ebay has a few listed, but not sure I want to give someone a nearly 20% profit. I guess I'll just wait and save up... and swing for the UAD-2 Solo.