Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-29-2018, 04:22 AM   #1
Big A
Human being with feelings

Default Drop outs using new Waves plugins

Greetings All.
Been a very long time since I posted because frankly threre is so much help out there, including this great forum I can find an answer rather easily most of the time.
I work as live sound and recording tech for 2 churches. 1 meets on Sunday morning and the other on Sunday night. I multitrack and take the sessions back to my studio for mixdown. I drop and drag the audio files into my recording drive from the morning service. They use a Presonus RM32ai. I record directly into a Reaper template in the evening service. They use a Behringer X32. I have an older but very powerful pc laptop.
No real problems at all. Been going fine for months. However occasionally I would experience audio dropouts mixing with my main studio interface. A Midas M32R. I have never exceeded 25% CPU usage on the performance meter even with over 100 plugins in use. I can usually fix the problem by restarting my computer or switching to either of my other 2 interfaces. Neither one of them has had a dropout problem till now.
I bought 2 new plugins yesterday. The waves Abbey Road Chambers and the Greg Wells Mixcentric both of which cause dropouts using all 3 of my interfaces. The Chambers plugin is worse. It took my CPU from about 18% to about 25% by itself with 96 plugins inserted. I increased all the buffer settings in Reaper and was able to get thru a particular song I was working on for a compilation that I really wanted to use the Chambers on. I still get the occasional glitch when mixing but when I rendered it everything was fine. It's very annoying however. Could it be because these are version 10 and all my other Waves stuff is version 9 something? The minute I disable the Chambers plugin the glitches go away. I can add dozens more plugins with no problems till now. Anyone else experience these problems with Waves stuff?
Thanks
Big A
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
JHughes
Banned

Phenix City? My SO is from Columbus.

I don't know why those plugins specifically would cause trouble, but as a possible solution have you tried upping your buffer settings?
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Judders

The Abbey Road Chambers, like the Abbey Road Plates, are CPU hogs. Just because REAPER is showing you a low CPU % figure, doesn't mean that a single core isn't choking from dealing with an audio stream.

It's nothing to do with V9 and V10 running together, it's just a CPU intensive plugin. That it didn't stutter when you upped the buffer appears to confirm this. Try freezing some fx (remember that you don't have to freeze all fx on a track, you can freeze all fx before one you want to keep live for tweaking).
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
Big A

Default I did that.

Yes I mentioned that I increased buffer settings in Reaper. I already use the maximum latency settings in all my interfaces for mixdown. Just annoying glitches occasionally now and just with the Chambers plugin. I would expect dropouts if I was closer to maximum CPU usage but I'm still only at 25. I suspect it's the plugin. I have trouble sometimes with melododyne studio. Including the session not loading. It's a glitch between Reaper and melodyne. Especially after I time align tracks.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
Big A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
The Abbey Road Chambers, like the Abbey Road Plates, are CPU hogs. Just because REAPER is showing you a low CPU % figure, doesn't mean that a single core isn't choking from dealing with an audio stream.

It's nothing to do with V9 and V10 running together, it's just a CPU intensive plugin. That it didn't stutter when you upped the buffer appears to confirm this. Try freezing some fx (remember that you don't have to freeze all fx on a track, you can freeze all fx before one you want to keep live for tweaking).

Ok I replied to the first response. Forgive my ignorance but how do you freeze plugins? Does that action continue to allow them to work. Or do you mean disabling them?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Ok I replied to the first response. Forgive my ignorance but how do you freeze plugins? Does that action continue to allow them to work. Or do you mean disabling them?
Freezing renders the fx to audio, so you can't change settings of plugins while a track is frozen, but you can right-click on an fx to render to audio up to that fx and keep the inserts below live.

And remember, as I said above, just because REAPER is only showing 25% CPU usage, you can still have a single core choke on an audio stream.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
JHughes
Banned

Sorry I missed you'd already tried changing the buffer settings.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Big A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post

It's ok. I miss stuff too like that reply after you!
I work in Columbus. I do this as side work but mostly ministry.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
Big A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post

It's ok. I miss stuff too like that reply after you!
I work in Columbus. I do this as side work but mostly ministry.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
Big A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Freezing renders the fx to audio, so you can't change settings of plugins while a track is frozen, but you can right-click on an fx to render to audio up to that fx and keep the inserts below live.

And remember, as I said above, just because REAPER is only showing 25% CPU usage, you can still have a single core choke on an audio stream.
VERY COOL. Thanks for that. Never had a need for that before but it's amazing how many features I don't use. I knew how to render processes tracks but this is a much better solution!
Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
VERY COOL. Thanks for that. Never had a need for that before but it's amazing how many features I don't use. I knew how to render processes tracks but this is a much better solution!
Thanks again.
You are very welcome!