Old 08-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
Musicianaire
Human being with feelings

Default Hearing double sound when recording audio from keyboard

I've Googled and I've looked through Kenny's videos, but can't find anything about recording audio from a keyboard. Only MIDI. Lots of MIDI tuts but nothing about audio (that I could find).

Here's what I'm doing:
  1. Line Out from keyboard to audio interface; from there to the computer via USB.
  2. Create a track in Reaper
  3. Route the Input to the keyboard
  4. Monitoring On
  5. Arm the track
  6. I can hear sound, BUT...
I'm hearing a double sound, as if a few milliseconds of delay is applied.

If I go ahead and record that way, the recording is fine; no double sound.

I've been trying various settings, and Googling, and getting nowhere.

How do I get rid of the doubling effect?
Old 08-19-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
Stella645

Turn off Reaper monitoring. You are direct monitoring through your interface.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Musicianaire

Well that was easy. lol

Thank you!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
Kenny Gioia

You can also turn off your direct monitoring on your interface and monitor through REAPER.

You just don't want to do both.

Not sure if this video is of any help but I did make one.

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#aQ1iHnkqiXA
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:32 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

depending on your keyboard's features, its cabling for monitoring and your interface you may be able to do it the way Kenny suggests. You may, however, need to set your keyboard to "Local off" in its MIDI settings. "Local off" means that the MIDI data which is produced while hitting a key on your keyboard will only be sent out directly through its MIDI outs (USB or legacy MIDI out) but will not be directly fed into the keyboards sound module, and thus, will not produce audio directly while playing.

Feeding this MIDI data through your daw (with monitoring on) and back out via a hardware MIDI out of the track into your keyboard will finally be fed into the keyboards sound engine and generate the audio at its outputs. This configuration is often desirable and it works well as long as the MIDI monitoring latency is not percievable. Having "Local" set to "on" directly connects the keys of the keyboard to its internal sound engine (and, thus, immediately produces sound coming out of its audio outputs) which may be added to the sound which is produced by the MIDI going through the daw and also coming back into the keyboard a few ms later.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
drumphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
You can also turn off your direct monitoring on your interface and monitor through REAPER.

Yep, it depends on how you want to do things.

Direct monitoring through your audio interface means the audio interface handles sending you the audio from the inputs on the audio interface.

Monitoring through reaper means that reaper handles sending you the audio from the inputs on the audio interface.

Reasons to use direct monitoring are avoiding any latency due to large audio buffers or just interfaces that have high latency even at small buffer sizes.

Reasons to monitor through reaper are that you get the full power of the reaper mix and routing engine, and any effects you want to use.

Ideally, with an audio interface with very good low latency performance and a very fast computer, direct monitoring doesn't really matter. But if your audio interface has poor low latency performance, or your reaper project just uses too much CPU power to run at small buffer sizes, then direct monitoring is a good workaround.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
depending on your keyboard's features, its cabling for monitoring and your interface you may be able to do it the way Kenny suggests. You may, however, need to set your keyboard to "Local off" in its MIDI settings. "Local off" means that the MIDI data which is produced while hitting a key on your keyboard will only be sent out directly through its MIDI outs (USB or legacy MIDI out) but will not be directly fed into the keyboards sound module, and thus, will not produce audio directly while playing.

Feeding this MIDI data through your daw (with monitoring on) and back out via a hardware MIDI out of the track into your keyboard will finally be fed into the keyboards sound engine and generate the audio at its outputs. This configuration is often desirable and it works well as long as the MIDI monitoring latency is not percievable. Having "Local" set to "on" directly connects the keys of the keyboard to its internal sound engine (and, thus, immediately produces sound coming out of its audio outputs) which may be added to the sound which is produced by the MIDI going through the daw and also coming back into the keyboard a few ms later.

I don't think he's talking about MIDI.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Musicianaire

Quote:
I don't think he's talking about MIDI.
Correct. It's all about the audio this time.

Quote:

I've watched that one a couple times, and just did again to be sure I didn't miss something. It focuses on using MIDI, and two tracks for recording and monitoring. I'm using audio only, with one track. But I hadn't thought of that fact that there were two audio sources being monitored, so turning one off did the trick. Thank for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Yep, it depends on how you want to do things.

Direct monitoring through your audio interface means the audio interface handles sending you the audio from the inputs on the audio interface.

Monitoring through reaper means that reaper handles sending you the audio from the inputs on the audio interface.

Reasons to use direct monitoring are avoiding any latency due to large audio buffers or just interfaces that have high latency even at small buffer sizes.

Reasons to monitor through reaper are that you get the full power of the reaper mix and routing engine, and any effects you want to use.

Ideally, with an audio interface with very good low latency performance and a very fast computer, direct monitoring doesn't really matter. But if your audio interface has poor low latency performance, or your reaper project just uses too much CPU power to run at small buffer sizes, then direct monitoring is a good workaround.
Thank you for that explanation. Good for future reference when I have another brain fart. lol
Old 08-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicianaire View Post
Correct. It's all about the audio this time.

I've watched that one a couple times, and just did again to be sure I didn't miss something. It focuses on using MIDI, and two tracks for recording and monitoring. I'm using audio only, with one track. But I hadn't thought of that fact that there were two audio sources being monitored, so turning one off did the trick. Thank for your input.
glad you sorted it out!