Old 03-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
akoustic
Human being with feelings

Default Pre-rolled record to cursor

Pre-rolled record to cursor for armed tracks:

This is a feature request that, I kid you not, been asking Sonic Foundry for since version 2 and would dearly love to see it added into reaper. I requested it a good few months ago but decided to try once again to see if there are any users that may find it useful and efficient.

Its basically a PT feature that I found most useful for tracking and works quite simply like this:

- arm the tracks you want to record on
- place the cursor at the point where you want the punch in to take place
- hit the record/pre-roll key
- playback starts a bar or 2 earlier and automatically drops in at the original cursor position
- manual punch out thereafter

Maybe a dialog box in the default to set the amount of pre-roll… this has always been the quickest way to punch in a live studio session… well, hope my explanation makes sense

cheers
Old 03-26-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
happymonkey

+1

I'd like to see that too.

HM
happymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Art Evans
Mortal

Yeah, I set up something like that (or even exactly that) using an AutoHotKey script way back, and I think some people were using it for a while. Search the forum for "TimePunch" and you might find it.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Billoon

Just in case you havent seen it...theres a "loop selection autopunch" recording mode in options...select that, set the loop where you want to punch, put your cursor where you want to preroll from and hit record, easy.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
akoustic

hi Art,

I did have a go at that sometime back but could never get it working the way i described it in this thread.

I'm curious if you were able to achieve this with proper control over the amount of beats/bar for the playback lead in to punch point?

cheers
Old 03-27-2007, 03:41 AM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

I've not changed it for a long time - as I recall, it worked in the same three second jump-back increments that Reaper uses for rewinding. So indeed the preroll point could not be precisely chosen (unless you happened to want 3,6,or 9 seconds!) though I think the drop in point was exact.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
maa

If reapers punch in mode would work properly as described the function requested in this thread would be redundant as reapers method is far more powerfull.
Like Samplitude in a way because you can precisly position the pre-roll cursor say at the begining or a verse for a singer.
Automated pre-roll is rather primitive, if quick.

Cheers

M
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:55 AM   #8
akoustic

Art

... well that's pretty much what i ended up with 2, which in effect is no where as good as a bar or 2 back from the punch point. The muso's 'lock-in' to the groove much faster with full bars/measures, compared to seconds.

Drop em in somewhere weird and you probably get asked for a longer pre-roll.. which all wastes time in the end.

i really would appreciate Justin checking this out if it wont be too much work to add, as an option.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:07 AM   #9
akoustic

hi maa,

not sure i quite understand... but as a practical example i have always found it real easy to just place the cursor at a point of dropin and hit 1 button/key... for me that's as quick as it can get and hardly primitive.

Most the time a 1-2 bar pre-roll is enough, especially when doing quick fixes on bass parts etc... (refering to live acoustic studio sessions)

cheers
Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
simplecarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
Automated pre-roll is rather primitive, if quick.
If you're recording/performing by yourself, the "quick" part of this is why it's such a great feature in PTLE. Also being able to turn it on/off on a whim.

For example, in PTLE, I control the transport with a remote control gamepad, so I can be on the other side of the room and track me playing, say, acoustic guitar. I'll use the gamepad to rewind/fast forward to where I messed up, turn on the auto preroll if it's not on, and then hit record.

With editing, sometimes having a preroll is good, so you can hear how things sound as it leads into the edit. That way, there's no need to rewind a bit and lose your place of where the edit is (assuming you're zoomed in pretty close).

Really, the ideal behavior is to be able to have a preroll *without* having to set a loop selection, and then being able to assign a key to turn the preroll on and off. And it shouldn't make a difference if you're in record or playback mode.

I realize this is an old thread -- has something like this been implemented in Reaper? Because it could kind of come in handy right now and I can't find it...
simplecarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:12 AM   #11
jamester

I like this idea.
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote