Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
incognitocas
Human being with feelings

Default Coming from Audacity need simplicity

Hello,

I'm used to being able to double click to highlight, move the cursor, and then remove vocals I don't want. Please tell me what I can use under actions to accomplish this same simplistic goal.
incognitocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
robgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitocas View Post
Hello,

I'm used to being able to double click to highlight, move the cursor, and then remove vocals I don't want. Please tell me what I can use under actions to accomplish this same simplistic goal.
There are dozens of fantastic tutorials on the Reaper.fm site. Just click "VIDEOS" above. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:26 AM   #3
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitocas View Post
Hello,

Can you explain more please? Do you mean you want to delete an item, or part of an item, or remove the vocal waveform but leave the item, or something else? The more info you give, the better we can help you.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:51 AM   #4
Allybye

Suspect talking about an item might just confuse for someone coming from Audacity.

One has to bear in mind that Audacity is primarily an audio editor and Reaper is a fully featured DAW. There is a lot of overlap but things in Audacity tend to be simpler to do, with limitations, and Reaper is much more powerful especiiall when it comes to doing a mix rather than a simple edit.

Some edits on Reaper are still quite neat to do but in a slightly different way.

As far as I remember Audacity is track based but Reaper heavily involves working with items. As indicated in above posts it is well worth doing a bit of learning via the videos, the quick reference user guides. No where as difficult as some make out.....once you get your head round some of the terminology, shrtcut keys and context menus for actions.

As an example, pending more description requested above, condider you have a single track of a voice recording and you want to delete a few words. Highlight as you are used to in Audacity: in reaper the whole track is a single item so you split it into several items by pressing S at the cursor position for the start of the section to be deleted and with cursor at end of that section S again. The track now has three items -before,during and after your selection. That allows you to click that newly identified item that you want to work with,delete it, change it, move it, add effects whatever.

Lots of words for a simple action.

Note: 'Track' is actually the wrong term for the complete audio item but it will suffice to get you going? Hope I wrote that all correctly!!
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:13 AM   #5
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybye View Post

As an example, pending more description requested above, condider you have a single track of a voice recording and you want to delete a few words. Highlight as you are used to in Audacity: in reaper the whole track is a single item so you split it into several items by pressing S at the cursor position for the start of the section to be deleted and with cursor at end of that section S again. The track now has three items -before,during and after your selection. That allows you to click that newly identified item that you want to work with,delete it, change it, move it, add effects whatever.
... or simply Alt Right drag around the unwanted passage and press Delete.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:59 AM   #6
Allybye

Ah! As usual many ways to skin a cat and Reaper is no exception!

Didn't know that one so just as easy as Audacity too!

Although I'm not a big user and quite new to Reaper it continues to impress!!

Thanks Nicholas.
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
jerome_oneil

I am of the opinion that there is nothing in the world that holds people back from genuine creativity in music production than Audacity.

If I could purge it from the Earth, I would.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote