Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #121
KevinW
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Thanks Kevin, I guess I'm the one that's a little confused. The way I understand it is that "Track based editing" and "simultaneous editing of multiple midi items" are one in the same. Either way all that needs to be shown in the filter or tracks Pane are the Tracks, right? You can edit or add too each item just as it is now, without diminishing any advantages that go along with the single items just as it is now.

Heh heh, either I'm not getting it (which could be the case with this old fart brain of mine), or this concept is harder for some folks to grasp than I think it is.

At any rate, I do believe that getting Reaper's ME into Track based editing (or multiple item editing if you wish) is the key to dealing with so many of the other ME issues, CC editing, better focusing when the ME is opened, working with multiple tracks, copying & pasting, etc. etc..
Earlier in this thread, there was discussion about "track based editing" being a bit of a turn-off, since it implied that "item based editing" was the opposite of "track based editing." As we have seen (in Lawrence's video three posts up, for example) "item based" and "track based" are not opposites. We can have both. So, I think' it's wise if we are clearer about what we want. Perhaps there are those who DO want to eliminate all items (though I doubt it.) Speaking for myself, all I would like to do is be able to edit multiple items at once.

So, I think the flaw in your image showing only the tracks in the filter view is that it implies there is only a single item per track. It would seem that you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it might look to some people. I think you and I are on the same page, though. The FR is simple: we just need one new action:

"Edit: Toggle Multi-item Edit mode on/off"
KevinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #122
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Earlier in this thread, there was discussion about "track based editing" being a bit of a turn-off, since it implied that "item based editing" was the opposite of "track based editing." As we have seen (in Lawrence's video three posts up, for example) "item based" and "track based" are not opposites. We can have both. So, I think' it's wise if we are clearer about what we want. Perhaps there are those who DO want to eliminate all items (though I doubt it.) Speaking for myself, all I would like to do is be able to edit multiple items at once.

So, I think the flaw in your image showing only the tracks in the filter view is that it implies there is only a single item per track. It would seem that you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it might look to some people. I think you and I are on the same page, though. The FR is simple: we just need one new action:

"Edit: Toggle Multi-item Edit mode on/off"
My main problem with calling it 'track-based editing' is that editing multiple items ACROSS tracks is NOT implied, but a key element of the change we want. Good and well if people understand this (most newcomers won't), but we will continually struggle with confusion if we keep using loose and imprecise terms. I brought it up because many seem annoyed by the confusion but dismissive about whence it arises... Course I'm admittedly over-analytical...
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #123
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
thanks for taking the time out
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #124
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
thanks for taking the time out
no prob. you deserve to be treated right.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #125
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
no prob. you deserve to be treated right.
I understand your affections, but I assure you, I am treated just fine
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #126
msore

Default question

Logically, and by programming it generally, treating two selected items within the same editor process would apply not only to two or more items in the same track, but also to two or more items at the same TIME in different tracks, right?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #127
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
Logically, and by programming it generally, treating two selected items within the same editor process would apply not only to two or more items in the same track, but also to two or more items at the same TIME in different tracks, right?
It would depend on how the ME and the Filter or Track Pane was set up. If it was setup with the same capabilities as Sonar you can pick and choose which tracks show as well as which tracks you want to be able to edit at the same time.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #128
Tod

I thought I'd show how Sonar handles this. It's not elegant but it's simple, to the point, and gets the job done.

The image below basically speaks for itself. You can Show & Hide each track as well as Enable & Disable Editing for each or any combination of tracks. You also have Mute and Solo that totally unrestricts you in how you listen to the tracks. Below that is a LICEcap showing how it works.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #129
run, megalodon

^What happens when you have multiple tracks enabled for editing? Does it just write notes for each instrument at once?
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #130
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I understand your affections, but I assure you, I am treated just fine
While I'm sure there are plenty who can appreciate a bone dry wit, there's no need to flatter yourself; I roll my eyes at all you self-serious types.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #131
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
^What happens when you have multiple tracks enabled for editing? Does it just write notes for each instrument at once?
Basically yes if everything is enabled. You have to pay attention to what you have enabled and disabled. 99% of the time I would have only one track enabled at a time.

This is really neat for putting string sections and horn sections together as well as a multitude of other things.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #132
krahosk

Quote:
I meant no disrespect to Jason. Sorry about joking that the mockup I made was a reality. I just thought it would be a neat way to implement simultaneous track editing.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #133
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
I meant no disrespect to Jason. Sorry about joking that the mockup I made was a reality. I just thought it would be a neat way to implement simultaneous track editing.
indeed it was! no offense taken
Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #134
KevinW

Quote:
Well, you owe me about 4 1/2 minutes, which is about what I spent trying to figure out how to activate those settings.

I'll accept payment in the form of a crudely recorded guitar riff, bass track, drum fill - whatever you got.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #135
Jae.Thomas

that is not a bug, it's a feature.

its Reaper's new implementation of per note bends
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #136
KevinW

Quote:

From time to time, some notes I insert appear slightly slanted. I can live with it, but it kind of an annoyance aesthetically, in the long run.

Excellent. But is there any way to get non-linear slopes? I mean, virtual instruments don't behave like that in nature, do they? I want my arpeggiated synth to sound a realistic as possible.

Plus, more on topic, it still stinks that I can't edit more than one midi item at a time, and therefore I have difficulty creating these sloping notes consistently on the whole track.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #137
Tod

I love your work flow krahosk..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #138
KevinW

Quote:
A feature? Ok, because things are going worse now. I'm relieved because people once told me that I'm not a good musician.

But I found the feature in the options menu, when I unchecked the option, everything went back to normal.

However I've noticed that sometimes it rechecks automatically (first option shown in the image below)

But since it rechecks automatically (is that a feature as well? It's REALLY annoying), I found an action for it and bound one of my keyboard keys to it - it's faster and less fastidious than going to the preferences menu, and so on.

Now, all I have to do is hit Ctrl+Alt+Shift+^ to straighten that mess! Reaper is the best!
Hey, thanks for turning me on to that feature. One thing I don't like though - when the option to automatically correct overlapping notes is turned on, you get some weird jumps where the notes cross.

Also, how many OT posts does it take to get a thread moved to the lounge?

PS: A little ammonia will clean that keyboard right up.

Edit - is that a baked potato wrapped in foil?

Last edited by KevinW; 07-25-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: potential baked potato sighting