Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-06-2017, 04:10 AM   #1
Uoppi
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper often inexplicably fails loading plugins from reaper-vstplugins64.ini

This started happening a few months ago following a Reaper (Win x64) update. Or maybe it could have something to do with Windows 10 Creator's Update, can't say (it was before the Creator's Fall Update, in any case). This never happened before for many years, as far as I recall. (Reaper checks for updates at program start and I always keep the software up-to-date.)

1. Very often when re-scanning the plugins to reaper-vstplugins64.ini, I run into errors about .dll's not being found or some required part missing etc. Usually it's some VST2 plugin, occasionally Waveshell VST3 won't get scanned successfully.

2. For example, I spent literally hours to get Reaper to recognize Izotope's DDLY VST(2) plugin (VST3 was always found properly). Uninstalling and re-installing the plugin did nothing, re-scanning in Reaper always failed.

Finally, looking at the error message, I concluded that the components iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll and iZDDLY.dll might be in the "wrong" order inside reaper-vstplugins64.ini. So, I manually edited the .dll's to appear the other way around in the .ini, and lo and behold, Reaper now could import them!

Reaper should obviously not be reporting a component is missing when it in fact is right there inside the reaper-vstplugins64.ini after the supposedly failed scan. Shouldn't Reaper wait until the whole plugins folder is scanned before concluding some required component is missing?

3. The most perplexing part: when, after a lot of frustration and manual editing, I managed to get the cache re-scanned without any errors, I (wisely) made a backup of reaper-vstplugins64.ini. Sometimes now when loading a project, some previously working plugin simply won't load. The plugin is shown in the track's FX bay but it's in an unsable state.

So,
a) I close Reaper,
b) replace reaper-vstplugins64.ini with my backup version,
c) after restarting Reaper, all plugins always load ok in the same project that had just failed.

How can that be when the contents of both reaper-vstplugins64.ini files (the replaced one and the backup) are completely identical, line for line?

Last edited by Uoppi; 12-06-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
Uoppi

I was able to pinpoint the issue, which I think is very serious and I'm surprised this has not gathered any responses here:

Very often a plugin is not working (or visible at all in Reaper's FX browser) because the scanned .dll information is only partly scanned into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini.

For example, a line that should read:

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101,17 67523396,iZotope DDLY Dynamic Delay (iZotope, Inc.)

is truncated to simply

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101

This can happen with several plugins quite haphazardly, not only with Izotope plugins. And not only vst2's, sometimes it's vst3's.

The DDLY in the above example almost always fails scanning but I've managed to make a backup of a completely scanned line, which I need to manually paste back into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini when it gets corrupted and obviously it's seriously killing my workflow having to quit and restart projects.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:00 AM   #3
mlprod

I can 100% confirm this exact behaviour as I wrote in another thread. Its not new for 5.70 though, at least not for me.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
Arnar

Yep , having problems loading plugins here as well, never happened before the update although I might have been using a few versions back before I did the update.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
mlprod

For me reaper hangs when this happens. Force quit, restart reaper which then continues the scan, but with the plugin "causing" the hang not being complete in the ini-file and thus not being found inside reaper.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #6
Dezb1

Deleted

Last edited by Dezb1; 12-16-2017 at 07:26 AM.
Dezb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:34 AM   #7
rforssell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
I was able to pinpoint the issue, which I think is very serious and I'm surprised this has not gathered any responses here:

Very often a plugin is not working (or visible at all in Reaper's FX browser) because the scanned .dll information is only partly scanned into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini.

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101,17 67523396,iZotope DDLY Dynamic Delay (iZotope, Inc.)

is truncated to simply

This can happen with several plugins quite haphazardly, not only with Izotope plugins. And not only vst2's, sometimes it's vst3's.

The DDLY in the above example almost always fails scanning but I've managed to make a backup of a completely scanned line, which I need to manually paste back into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini when it gets corrupted and obviously it's seriously killing my workflow having to quit and restart projects.
This happens for me with a lot of plugins. As an example, I'm unable to load ToneDeluxe (LostIn70's).
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
albatteur

Hi,
I found a solution for my setup.
In appdata/reaper I found a folder called "PreviousConfig files version" with some .ini files(Reapack,Reaper, Reaper fx folders, Reaper-vstplugins 64, Reaper fx tags, Reaper midihw, Reaper recent fx) .
I drag and drop this "Reaper-vstplugins 64.ini"into appdata/Reaper and replace the other one and everything works now.
I think, maybe I'm wrong, that this file was the good file and the new created a conflict with the old file.
Thx to Carbomusic... I had to reflect. .
And sorry for my bad english.
albatteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #9
ivansc

@Uoppi:

I dont recall anyone mentioning this and I am sure you didn`t do it, but when you say you have your plugin files listed in reaper-vstplugins64.ini I assume that you don`t have ALL your plugins in the Program Files/Reaper/Plugins location, do you?
That particular folder is reserved for REAPER plugins only - the native ones - and if you have put anything non-reaper native in there that could well be why you have problems.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
@Uoppi:

I dont recall anyone mentioning this
Great idea...

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=19

Just haven't heard back.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Uoppi

Quote:
@Uoppi:

I dont recall anyone mentioning this and I am sure you didn`t do it, but when you say you have your plugin files listed in reaper-vstplugins64.ini I assume that you don`t have ALL your plugins in the Program Files/Reaper/Plugins location, do you?
That particular folder is reserved for REAPER plugins only - the native ones - and if you have put anything non-reaper native in there that could well be why you have problems.
No, I have only the default Reaper plugins in there.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
YvesK

Same kind of problems here, but it definitely started litterally right after WIN 10's 'Creators Update' several weeks ago. After countless fruitless attempts of getting things to work, I updated Reaper v 5.23 (in use at that time) to the most recent v 5.70, which didn't bring any change at all, so 'Creator' clearly was the culprit in this case, and not Reaper.

What happened was this: when running Reaper 64-bit (which I normally use), a whole bunch of plugins - all or most of which I suspect were 32-bits - had disappeared from the FX-browser when trying to add an FX to a track. Opening a project that contains 32-bit plugins, however, does load and playback correctly with the 32-bit plugins on their tracks. I can even copy a 32-bit plugin to a new track, and even to a track in a newly created project, although after that the plugin doesn't always work or Reaper may crash.
Launching Reaper 32-bit will show all 32-bit plugins in the FX-browser as before, but again, actually inserting them on a track will not guarantee correct functioning.

An idea for a workaround failed miserably: launch Reaper 32-bit, create a bunch of track templates, each filled with a category of 32-bit FX (Reverbs, Compressors, Vst-i's, ...) and use these as an alternative FX-browser to copy & paste from into new project tracks. Creating the track templates went just fine, although it took me ages to finish! But launching Reaper 64-bit, copy & paste a 32-bit plugin from the track templates ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEES to crash Reaper. I spent a complete night relaunching 20-second long Reaper sessions trying various tricks and scenario's, but all to no avail.

I will be tied up with other things for at least a week or so, but will certainly try the tips suggested in this thread afterwards. Speaking of which, Dear Uoppi:

Quote:

(...)

is truncated to simply

(...)

[/b]
could you explain how or where one can find out what exatcly the correct entry for a particular plugin in this file should be ?

Thx plenty, guys, for all suggestions above, and any more to follow,
Yves.
YvesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #13
Naquela

Glad to be here ivansc

i notice in my windows 10 (portuguese version) after some update the name of C:\Arquivos de programas\ , get a new name c:\program files , and the c:\arquivos de programas86 dont change . Maybe windows and reaper get crazy with this change .

YvesK try this just for testing, install a problematic vst in a new directory like c:\Testvst and try if it crashs
Old 01-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
ivansc

Ya got me - I can do french german & spanish but portugese? Sorry.... At a guess I should say this is either a weirdness in the localisation files for portuguese or a windows glitch.
You might try posting what is happening in the bug forum if nobody posts any suggestions, just in case this is a common occurrence.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
rforssell

The thing that solved my issues was to uninstall Reaper, then delete the AppData\Reaper folder and then reinstall Reaper. After adding the paths, the plugs turned up again.
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
YvesK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquela View Post
(...)

YvesK try this just for testing, install a problematic vst in a new directory like c:\Testvst and try if it crashs
Hi there Naquela,

Following your advice I put 2 of my mostly missed 32-bit plugins ('Epicverb' and 'Azurite') in a test folder, launched Reaper 64, added the new folder to the list of VST-paths, started a "Clear cache & Rescan", and lo and behold: not only did both appear again in the FX-browser, but as good as all other missing plugins too (and heaven knows how many times I performed this clear&rescan already)! The ones I tried to load into a track did just do that; 'Phase Bug' which before invariably crashed Reaper 32-bit, now works flawlessly again in Reaper 64 (as mentioned before, won't have time to test the remaining ones until after quite some time).

As luck would have it, the handful of plugins that didn't resurface are all ones that I can live without. I mean, for someone my age it's immense fun to replay some Beatles and Moody Blues songs, but other than that the use of a Mellotron can be categorised as pretty restricted these days.

So it seems that all of you delving into IT courses to keep Win 10 running were totally wrong: it's Black Magic that is needed there! Thanks Naquela for pointing this out to us!

And above all Naquela, thanks so much for your practical tip. I'm sure you saved my sanity!
YvesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
JamesPeters

Quote:

is truncated to simply

I noticed this post since the thread was linked from another more current thread, and also because what you described in this post has some similarity to something I'd dealt with.

I had trouble with Reaper not loading a plugin (Linux Reaper, Linux version of "Signalizer" VST plugin). An entry was created in reaper-vstplugins64.ini for Signalizer which only contained the first string of numbers.

Here's what Justin discovered about it:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=136

It's doubtful that the same thing affects your particular case (or anyone else's case) but it does point in a particular direction: Reaper is providing a hint that it can't load the plugin when it has an "incomplete entry" for the plugin within the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. And, running Reaper from the command line may produce a report of some value in troubleshooting the issue (as it did in my case).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #18
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I noticed this post since the thread was linked from another more current thread, and also because what you described in this post has some similarity to something I'd dealt with.

I had trouble with Reaper not loading a plugin (Linux Reaper, Linux version of "Signalizer" VST plugin). An entry was created in reaper-vstplugins64.ini for Signalizer which only contained the first string of numbers.

Here's what Justin discovered about it:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=136

It's doubtful that the same thing affects your particular case (or anyone else's case) but it does point in a particular direction: Reaper is providing a hint that it can't load the plugin when it has an "incomplete entry" for the plugin within the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. And, running Reaper from the command line may produce a report of some value in troubleshooting the issue (as it did in my case).
Hi James,

Thanks for ur post in the other thread I made.

This is the string of vst paths in the exact way they're added to my Reaper:

C:\Program Files\Steinberg;C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files\VSTs;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 4\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V10;C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

My izotope vst3's and Melodyne.vst3 are in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and Reaper doesnt load them no matter what. Except Nectar.vst3

Now,

Only if I use the option "auto-detect" Reaper finds them!!

and these are the paths found by the "auto-detect" function:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Why Reaper cannot find these VST3s when I add the path myself "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" in the Preference window??
Instead, it only finds them when I use the option "auto-detect"

I run Reaper from the command line but it didnt come any report.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #19
ivansc

Hi! Unless you have really got a random scattering of plugins everywhere, can I suggest that you at least try to rationalise your plugin folders a bit? The first thing I noticed is that you have one reference to C:\Program Files\Steinberg, but the second one adds \ Vst Plugins. You only need one reference unless you really do have some vsts in the main steinberg folder. If I were you the FIRST thing I would do is to see if you cant reduce the number of almost identical VST folder references you have. Hard to trouble-shoot when you have so many similar places to look.
And before you tell me you dont want to discuss this, just report a bug to Cockos, we have already established to everyone elses satisfaction that you are experiencing a conflict in your setup, not a bug. Sorry iuf this sounds rude,it isnt meant to be.

FWIW here is mine.

C:\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\SONiVOX;C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Scuffham Amps\S-Gear2;C:\Program Files\Solid State Logic;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments\B4 II;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common files\vst3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\iZotope

I know I probably have redundant entries in there too, but this list successfully scans everything I own & works reliably every time, even when stuff is added or removed.
B4II I have on a separate listing because it went obsolete years ago & I wanted a quick easy way to get at it if anything caused it to finally die!

Last edited by ivansc; 10-15-2018 at 02:10 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #20
saresu.bass

Quote:
Hi! Unless you have really got a random scattering of plugins everywhere, can I suggest that you at least try to rationalise your plugin folders a bit? The first thing I noticed is that you have one reference to C:\Program Files\Steinberg, but the second one adds \ Vst Plugins. You only need one reference unless you really do have some vsts in the main steinberg folder. If I were you the FIRST thing I would do is to see if you cant reduce the number of almost identical VST folder references you have. Hard to trouble-shoot when you have so many similar places to look.
And before you tell me you dont want to discuss this, just report a bug to Cockos, we have already established to everyone elses satisfaction that you are experiencing a conflict in your setup, not a bug. Sorry iuf this sounds rude,it isnt meant to be.

FWIW here is mine.

C:\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\SONiVOX;C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Scuffham Amps\S-Gear2;C:\Program Files\Solid State Logic;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments\B4 II;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common files\vst3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\iZotope

I know I probably have redundant entries in there too, but this list successfully scans everything I own & works reliably every time, even when stuff is added or removed.
B4II I have on a separate listing because it went obsolete years ago & I wanted a quick easy way to get at it if anything caused it to finally die!

Finally someone!

"rationalize ur f%#&%g plugins folders!"...

It may seem too obvious now but I wish I could have received this advice long ago. Otherwise I wouldnt dare to try it.

New users should be aware to keep track of their vsts to avoid headaches and hours of frustration in the future. I've never bother to learn this kind of stuff cuz I didnt think that would be such an issue 9 years later.

I's suggest a small "warning about avoiding scattering vsts paths" section in the manual.

You solved my problem.

My man!

Thank you so much.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #21
DarrenH

Just adding another voice here. This happens to me regularly on my Win10 machine, but not my other slower machine (Win7). They both access the same VST folders in the cloud. I found your post and checked, sure enough some specific plugins are truncated in vstplugins64. In my case they're 32-bit, either Digilogue's Blue Line plugins or Ultrafunk plugins. Admittedly they're old plugins. But they function correctly when they do scan, and not all my vintage 32-bit plugins have this issue.

I had wondered whether adding (x86) to the plugin name would make a difference. It hasn't so far.

Is there a chance the faster machine has a shorter timeout for checking plugins, or that something about the code of those plugins creates an unacceptable lag for the faster machine?

Would be interested to know if this is a common issue and why, specifically with certain plugins.

Quote:
This started happening a few months ago following a Reaper (Win x64) update. Or maybe it could have something to do with Windows 10 Creator's Update, can't say (it was before the Creator's Fall Update, in any case). This never happened before for many years, as far as I recall. (Reaper checks for updates at program start and I always keep the software up-to-date.)

1. Very often when re-scanning the plugins to reaper-vstplugins64.ini, I run into errors about .dll's not being found or some required part missing etc. Usually it's some VST2 plugin, occasionally Waveshell VST3 won't get scanned successfully.

2. For example, I spent literally hours to get Reaper to recognize Izotope's DDLY VST(2) plugin (VST3 was always found properly). Uninstalling and re-installing the plugin did nothing, re-scanning in Reaper always failed.

Finally, looking at the error message, I concluded that the components iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll and iZDDLY.dll might be in the "wrong" order inside reaper-vstplugins64.ini. So, I manually edited the .dll's to appear the other way around in the .ini, and lo and behold, Reaper now could import them!

Reaper should obviously not be reporting a component is missing when it in fact is right there inside the reaper-vstplugins64.ini after the supposedly failed scan. Shouldn't Reaper wait until the whole plugins folder is scanned before concluding some required component is missing?

3. The most perplexing part: when, after a lot of frustration and manual editing, I managed to get the cache re-scanned without any errors, I (wisely) made a backup of reaper-vstplugins64.ini. Sometimes now when loading a project, some previously working plugin simply won't load. The plugin is shown in the track's FX bay but it's in an unsable state.

So,
a) I close Reaper,
b) replace reaper-vstplugins64.ini with my backup version,
c) after restarting Reaper, all plugins always load ok in the same project that had just failed.

How can that be when the contents of both reaper-vstplugins64.ini files (the replaced one and the backup) are completely identical, line for line?

Last edited by DarrenH; 01-05-2020 at 03:19 PM.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #22
BirdBird

Anyone has a solution for this? I am currently getting truncated names in the .ini file and nothing seems to be getting the plugins to load correctly.

Edit: I installed a few more plugins and restarted my computer, and now the plugins get scanned and load correctly, my guess is something in there installed a library that certain plugins required for loading.

Last edited by BirdBird; 06-24-2020 at 10:56 PM.
BirdBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:54 AM   #23
Smokehead

Currently running into this problem the first time.

I've set up a fresh-install win10 machine, installed reaper and a set of plugins (UAD, FabFilter, Plugin Alliance). The UAD as well as the FabFilter stuff works fine and is detected immediately.

Plugin Alliance isn't detected that well. There should be about 14 plugins but only 3 appear. All the bx_console stuff isn't visible. The *.ini file shows all of them but most of them without any name/string at the end.

My setup:
  • Thinkpad T480
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Reaper v6.13/x64

So it seems like it's not fixed yet. On a Macbook Pro 2019 (Catalina 10.15.6) using the same version of reaper everything is fine.

I'm hoping for some news about this too ..

Cheers,
Smokehead
Smokehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #24
cwreaper

In my case, I tracked the problem down primarily (perhaps exclusively) to "duplicate" plugins in different folders. I use quotes around duplicates because I can't determine whether they are literally bit-for-bit duplicates as in duplicate 32-bit, duplicate 64-bit OR duplicates where one is 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.

It seems like once a duplicate is encountered, Reaper freaks out. I'm wondering if it has something to do with Reaper's:

"If multiple VSTs are scanned with the same dll name, only one will be available: either the plugin found later in the path list, or highest in the directory structure for the given path." as noted on the Preferences VST page.

Here's an example of Melodyne getting broken. The first instance is correct. When the duplicate is found, the first instance gets removed and replaced by the "bad" instance.
Melodyne.vst3=00462192E37DD501,214222609,Melodyne (Celemony)
Melodyne.vst3=00F46DBFE37DD501

The worst offenders for me were the MeldaProduction plugins. Fine plugins but it seems that I have all kinds of duplicates, I think as a result of not accepting their default installation folders. I think they installed in both the default folder and the new folder I selected - I had no idea until I experienced this problem.

Anyway, removing the duplicates and tidying up my VST folders helped tremendously to correct this issue. I still think this is a Reaper bug. Cakewalk, for example, has no issue with duplicates.

I should also mention that I would also occasionally get a
"VST scanning error + note" scanning Melodyne.vst3. I think it's unrelated but frustrating nonetheless.

Last edited by cwreaper; 09-14-2020 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
cwreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #25
Hypercaffium

I'm having the same "issue" with iZotope iZVinyl.dll which appears in the "Plug-ins that failed to scan" list under Preferences/VST/Rescan button.
It's not really a problem because the plugin works and I don't get any notification when I start Reaper, but I'm curious about this odd behavior.
Hypercaffium is offline   Reply With Quote