Old 10-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
chumbo
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper MIDI Slave: why the big start delay??

I've been struggling a lot with Reaper's poor syncing and finally resorted to outside help (rtpMIDI & Copperlan) to get it somewhat working.

I've finally got Reaper to +- behave as a normal MIDI slave but it's still far from perfect:
I have two PCs, each running an instance of Reaper...
- Using rtpMIDI or CopperLan, Reaper will slave pretty well to MIDI clock/SPP with low jitter (still not quite sure of the difference but whatever...) but sound on the slave will only be audible after a few seconds. So running at 120 BPM, Reaper slave will be audible from +- beat 3.

It is in sync, but Reaper is silent for those first +-2 seconds. And this happens everytime I hit start on the master. I've tried both Ableton and Reaper as master...same result.

And when I switch that around - Reaper master ==> Ableton slave - it works perfectly, Ableton starts instantly!

So logic would point the problem on Reaper's side...any ideas? Or is it again just a question of Reaper's poor MIDI sync implementation?
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
_Stevie_

Hey chumbo,

I also have 2 Reapers synced, but I'm using plain MIDI (hardware ports). Sync is pretty much instant. Whereas sound is much quicker in sync than video. I tried rtpMIDI but I wasn't very satisfied with the results, because sometimes it would loose sync and a restart would be necessary.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
chumbo

A-ha! That's very interesting. I've resorted to rtpMIDI & Copperlan only BECAUSE it wasn't working via standard MIDI ports.
I've read and started many threads on this subject and I must say, you must be one of the rare (actually, to my knowledge, THE only!) to have managed proper sync with no messing around!

So I'd just like to understand how your setup is different from mine to try and explain this...

What OS is hosting each Reaper? (I have Win 10 x64 on both PCs)
Which version of Reaper? (on both I have v5.984 x64 (Portable))
What sync protocol are you using? (MTC, SPP,...)

Not sure it can be down to the sound card because I've tried many variations using up to 4 or 5 different sound cards. Still, would be curious what you use?

Thx in advance!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
_Stevie_

Okay, let me give you as much info as possible:

DAW: Windows 10, MIDI: mio10 (output is called: TC Out), latest Reaper dev build
Video machine: MacOS, MIDI: Babyface (input is called MTC: RME - Babyface), latest Reaper dev build

I'm not using the SMPTE Item for syncing. I'm using the vVIMTC JSFX.

So that's what my config in my DAW looks like:

And that's the config on the video machine:

Maybe you don't need to necessarily switch to MIDI hardware ports, try the JSFX with the rtp configuration, first.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
chumbo

Thanks!
I got it to work and the sync is quite tight, even perfect when starting on a bar! It will drift a little but not too much when on an uneven division. Overall, workable but...I still have the same problem! It takes 1-2 seconds for the audio on the slave to be audible after I hit play on the master!?

Really strange. Aside from the few differences in setup which might explain it, it seems more settings-related than a bug since it will work for you.
At least I learned about a cool little plugin! (still proves my initial point, that Reaper won't sync properly out of the box. You always need to tinker around with plugins, scripts, etc...)

Back to Ableton Live for syncing then
Old 10-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
_Stevie_

Yeah Reaper isn't very sync friendly out of the box, I fully agree.
It took me some time to figure out the right tools to make it work.

As for the delay, that's pretty strange. Silly question, but have you set the same ASIO latency on both systems?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
chumbo

Quote:
Silly question, but have you set the same ASIO latency on both systems?
Not silly at all! I didn't even know that should be of any consideration so don't hesitate if you have any other 'silly' questions

I have a Behringer UMC204HD sound card on one PC and an RME Multiface on the other. The Behringer panel shows me latency results but the RME doesn't so all I could do was match the buffer size...but maybe that's what you meant?

Anyway, they weren't identical, I corrected it and both now have a buffer size of 128...problem is the same though.
(tempo & sample rate are the same as well)
Old 10-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
_Stevie_

Yeah, that's what I meant with latency, the buffer size. Hmm, that's really strange.
I would expect it to work perfectly in terms of audio. I'll give it another think.
But hopefully someone else will chime in as well with another idea.