Old 12-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Dehenry
Human being with feelings

Default OSC Track Bank Select

Hi!

I use TouchOSC to control Reaper. With the OSC device, I can select the next/previous track or the next/previous bank of 8 tracks that is shown and editable on the device. Reaper follows the next/previous track selection on the device, but it does not follow the "next/previous bank of 8 tracks" selection, which makes sense to me.

What I cannot figure out is how I get the OSC device to follow Reaper in terms of the track bank that is shown. I want the OSC device to show track bank 1 if the track selected in Reaper is within that bank, and the OSC device should automatically show the next track bank when I select e.g. track 11 in Reaper.

I tried the DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS_MIXER command, but that causes the OSC device to renumber the first track of the bank so that it corresponds with the track number selected in Reaper, and the following 7 tracks are counted up from that value. However, the numbering on the OSC device should only change in increments of 8 so that the first track shown on the OSC device is only numbered 1, 9, 17 etc. I hope it becomes clear what I mean.

Which command which synthax should I use?

Thanks!

Dehenry
Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehenry View Post
Hi!

I use TouchOSC to control Reaper. With the OSC device, I can select the next/previous track or the next/previous bank of 8 tracks that is shown and editable on the device. Reaper follows the next/previous track selection on the device, but it does not follow the "next/previous bank of 8 tracks" selection, which makes sense to me.

What I cannot figure out is how I get the OSC device to follow Reaper in terms of the track bank that is shown. I want the OSC device to show track bank 1 if the track selected in Reaper is within that bank, and the OSC device should automatically show the next track bank when I select e.g. track 11 in Reaper.

I tried the DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS_MIXER command, but that causes the OSC device to renumber the first track of the bank so that it corresponds with the track number selected in Reaper, and the following 7 tracks are counted up from that value. However, the numbering on the OSC device should only change in increments of 8 so that the first track shown on the OSC device is only numbered 1, 9, 17 etc. I hope it becomes clear what I mean.

Which command which synthax should I use?

Thanks!

Dehenry
As far as I know, it's not possible. I'm also experiencing this issues. The switched to MIXER, MCP follows device's bank selection, but messes with tracks enumeration in banks. It can be useful when you want to control, let's say, tracks 3-10 of the project at the same time, but I'd prefer an option in ReaperOSC file for toggling that behavior. So, it would be possible to temporarily enable the needed mode on demand.
I'm really frustrated with those OSC defaults and some other bugs now.

This is a part of my ReaperOSC file, so you can see by my comments, that I'm desoriented in this options:
Code:
# Don't change from DEVICE! Otherwise you won't be able to switch tracks
# REAPER_TRACK_FOLLOWS REAPER
REAPER_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE

# LAST_TOUCHED sometimes messes with track selection in banks. Still can't follow when this is happening.
# DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED

# When DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS MIXER, mixer view scrolls to the selected track, but banks are messed up
# DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS MIXER
DEVICE_TRACK_BANK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
BTW, did you found out, what TRACK_MONITOR command does? I thought that it would cycle toggle recording monitoring for the tracks, but it seems like it doesn't do anything with my configuration. I still need an action to toggle monitoring on tracks by their number.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
Dehenry

Thanks! Looks like we'll have to wait for an update. This particular problem is not a big deal for me, but overall it would be good if the OSC commands were a bit more flexible and advanced. Nevertheless, as there does not seem to be a real manual to explain the function of the OSC commands other than the Default.ReaperOSC file, I don't really understand the logic and syntax of the commands and parameters. For me as an OSC newbie this is mostly trial and error.

I have not yet used TRACK_MONITOR so unfortunately have no clue either what it does.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
fundorin
Banned

I kinda know both logic and syntax, so you can ask questions.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:09 AM   #5
GeneralMidi

Are there any updates to this issue?
GeneralMidi is offline   Reply With Quote