Old 02-09-2018, 01:05 AM   #1
Eileen Gogan
Human being with feelings

Default El Capitan or Sierra?

Hi I want to mix an album so am going to purchase Reaper, I have just updated from 10.6.8 to El Capitan, should I update to Sierra? Will El Capitan work ok with it? Could only find 2 year old threads,
Thanks!
Eileen Gogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Aymara

I have a Macbook Pro with El Capitan 10.11.6 and can't complain.

I never updated to Sierra, because my old Tascam is no longer supported, that means no more driver updates. And because El Cap still gets security updates, I see no reason to update and buy a new interface.

PS: Install the Reaper 64 bit demo and see, if all works as expected. In my case everything is fine.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:30 AM   #3
Judders

REAPER will work fine with El Capitan.

However, I found El Capitan unstable. Lots of hanging and crashing of apps (not REAPER though!). High Sierra is nice and stable, like 10.6.8 was.

Like Aymara says though, check that all your hardware and plugins are compatible before you upgrade.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:26 AM   #4
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
However, I found El Capitan unstable.
Not in my case ... everything is fine, though I didn't do a clean install, but upgraded from 10.10.6 to 10.11.6

PS: And I use my Macbook Pro as a universal machine for everything, even running Windows 10 in Parallels Desktop 13. I even can switch on WiFi, when working with Reaper ... absolutely no issues at all.

Chris
Old 02-09-2018, 03:27 AM   #5
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Not in my case ... everything is fine.
Interesting. Safari was the biggest culprit for me, but I did have a number of Finder crashes to.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Aymara

Quote:
Interesting. Safari was the biggest culprit for me, but I did have a number of Finder crashes to.
Maybe because I upgraded from 10.10.6 to 10.11.6 ???

I don't know ... as I said everything works as expected, but it's worth noting, that I have no Java and especially no Flash installed for security reasons. So even Safari works fine.

BUT ... beware of Security Update 2018-001 for 10.11, because it bricked many Macs !!!

So I didn't install that yet.

Chris
Old 02-09-2018, 03:47 AM   #7
Arpegia

I work with Sierra (not yet Hight Sierra) and don't have any issue.

Sierra is very stable. Reaper never Crash and I have a large power reserve if I switch off the "Hyper-Threading". (Mainly because I use Acustica Aqua plugins).

Then, upgrade to Sierra.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
Handyman

My 2012 MacBook Air is rock-solid running Sierra. No crashes of any kind. Reaper is stable, as are all other apps, including Safari. I don't even reboot the Mac very often, usually only when an update requires it.

Honestly, the older versions of MacOS I've used (as far back as Snow Leopard on a previous MacBook) were very stable too. If you're experiencing crashes, I wouldn't rush to blame the OS. I would first do some troubleshooting of the software, peripherals, and configuration, and run diagnostics.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #9
cyrano

REAPER is stable on any OSX version. Hec, even on Leopard

It's the driver for your audio interface and probably your long list of plugins you have to look at, imho.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #10
Aymara

The problem with OSX is, that the lifecycle of one year is too short, which results in regular bugs on new releases.

Both Yosemite and El Capitan needed at least 3 updates to solve most issues (audio & others). But from my experience both 10.10.6 and 10.11.6 were rock solid.

But often updates of drivers and apps are needed too. The release of Yosemite for example caused major problems for people using both, Native Instruments and Avid products, and these weren't even fixed one year later!

Chris
Old 02-13-2018, 02:02 AM   #11
Judders

Never had a problem with REAPER stability. It's solid as a rock.

Snow Leopard was great, but Yosemite and El Capitan gave me a lot of problems with Finder and Safari hanging. This wasn't 3rd party apps.

Anyway, don't mean to drag this OT, just reiterating that any stability issues have not been a REAPER problem.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #12
vanhaze

Been OSX user for many years and never ever encountered big issues with any OSX versions.

But i always did a complete clean install for a major OSX update version.

Reaper is super stable / rock solid on High Sierra 10.13 for me, but Reaper has always been stable on older OSX versions too for me.

I am always online (wifi enabled) when working in Reaper, never felt the need/habit of shutting WIFI of cause of possible performance degration in Reaper (or any DAW whatsoever).

Macbook Retina 2015
UAD Apollo Twin (thunderbolt version) as main audio device.
Reaper 64bit version, always the latest beta.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #13
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
But i always did a complete clean install for a major OSX update version.
And this often eliminates potential issues. I myself didn't have many Yosemite issues, because my Macbook came with a fresh Yosemite installation without any bloatware ... a huge advantage over most new Windows PCs/notebooks.

Chris
Old 02-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
And this often eliminates potential issues. I myself didn't have many Yosemite issues, because my Macbook came with a fresh Yosemite installation without any bloatware ... a huge advantage over most new Windows PCs/notebooks.
Popular wisdom would suggest I am an outlier, but I've never had a problem with updating the OS. My iMac came with Yosemite, had stability issues unchanged through El Capitan, then all problems disappeared when I upgraded to Sierra.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #15
Aymara

Quote:
Popular wisdom would suggest I am an outlier, but I've never had a problem with updating the OS. My iMac came with Yosemite, had stability issues unchanged through El Capitan, then all problems disappeared when I upgraded to Sierra.
I upgrade, when I did my homework, which means checking compatibility and known issues, e.g. BIAS FX is still incompatible with High Sierra.

I started with Yosemite 10.10.3 updated everytime up to 10.10.6 and then waited for 10.11.6, because of know issues, I wanted to avoid. The decision was right, I guess, because I never encountered issues at all so far.

PS: And before updating I always update my USB OSX installer and make a Time Machine backup. Another risk free option is to make an USB clone and update and test that first.

PPS: I don't trusts Apple's updates and QC ... to many catastrophies on iOS and macOS in the last years. Most recent the first 2018 security macOS update, that bricked many Macs.

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 02-13-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #16
drumphil

No problems with High Sierra here, but that may just be a factor of the driver compatibility of the gear I implement/use.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 AM   #17
Aymara

Compatibility is definitely something, that needs to be checked with EVERY macOS upgrade, be it plugins or drivers.

E.g., both my interface and Positive Grid's BIAS stuff are still show stoppers for me.

Chris