Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
arrgrr
Human being with feelings

Default macbook fan noise...

Hi!

I have a problem with Reaper putting the fans on my macbook pro i7 into hyperdrive when (and only when) using an external monitor. This happens when nothing is playing, at any buffer settings and when the CPU is basically idle. It is worse with some plugins than others but no obvious pattern to this. The same plugins in other DAWs donīt cause this explosion of fan noise (and no other programs for that matter). So it looks like it is the GPU causing the heat (the macbook switches form internal to discrete graphics when plugging in an external monitor) but I canīt see why Reaper should be causing this. Is this a known issue with macbooks? Is there some way around this? Itīs really too bad, it is practically a deal breaker for me.

Thanks in advance!

AG

Last edited by arrgrr; 05-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.
arrgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Janne83

I have a same setup MPB i7 2.0 with 8gb ram and a 24" external monitor via thunderbolt and I dont see this behaviour youre describing.

I track huge projects with 32 or 64 buffer- this is the only ocassion that the fans go noisy- but tthe cpu usage is usually at 50-60%. Im using a focusrite Saffires 40 and 56.

The only thing I did it was I turned of the automatic GPU switching in the Power options in System preferences, so the discrete Radeon is always used.

TRy this setup for buffering:

Other suggestion, a bit more radical would be to move the Reaper.ini to the desktop and restart reaper. It will reset your Reaper instance. Its located under users Library. Options/Show Reaper resources path.

Then try if the problem occurs again. And I suggest you export your settings in Global preference before removing the ini file.

Hopefuly this will give you some options to fix your problem.

Regards J
Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
EricM

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23137/fan-control

e
Old 03-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
Bertrand H

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgrr View Post
Hi!

I have a problem with Reaper putting the fans on my macbook pro i7 into hyperdrive when (and only when) using an external monitor. This happens when nothing is playing, at any buffer settings and when the CPU is basically idle. It is worse with some plugins than others but no obvious pattern to this. The same plugins in other DAWs donīt cause this explosion of fan noise (and no other programs for that matter). So it looks like it is the GPU causing the heat (the macbook switches form internal to discrete graphics when plugging in an external monitor) but I canīt see why Reaper should be causing this. Is this a known issue with macbooks? Is there some way around this? Itīs really too bad, it is practically a deal breaker for me.

Thanks in advance!

AG
Hi ARRGRR!
Did you find a solution to your problem? I am on macbook pro retina mid 2015 and the fan is noisy when Reaper is 15% cpu.. :/ Thanks for your help!
Bertrand
Bertrand H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgrr View Post
Hi!

Thanks in advance!

AG
The dGPU is used for the external display yes.

You say Reaper is "causing" this. Have you qualified that? As in run a similar CPU using workflow (or simulating it with 'yes > /dev/null') and NOT having heating issues? My first suspicion would be that the Reaper project is ADDING to the heat causing workload.

There are free apps like Temperature Monitor or Hardware Monitor that will let you read all the temp sensors. You can see if it's the dGPU heating up. If it's the dGPU and this happens with any app pushing the system a little (not just Reaper), you could try the more high falootin heat sync paste (Arctic Silver 5).

Which model Macbook Pro?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
vanhaze

I am using Reaper 64bit on a Macbook Pro Retina 2015, OSX 10.13.3.
Attached to the macbook is a Dell Monitor.(minidisplay port).
I use a medium scaled resolution of 2304x1296.
Set to use DGPU.

I have Reaper open as only program, with a Reaper Project consuming around 14% CPU and around 4 % RTCPU.
I have no Plugin GUI's opened.
After a few minutes after i opened the Project, the macbook fans are kicking in.

Soon my macbook fans will go through the roof during Project Play and then i experience complete audio tearing, making it impossible to play the Project "normally"
I am guessing the macbook is throttling down CPU, to beware of overheating, which causes the audiotearing in Reaper.

This is a majour issue for me, impossible to produce this way in Reaper.
I don't wanna work on macbook screen, i am totally used to the big Dell screen.

I am thinking hard to diss my macbook for audio production and go for a Hackintosh beast.
My guess is the Macbook Pro's aren't made for using an external Display (through display port) when doing audio prodution.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
serr

The 15" and 17" Macbook Pros have included that 2nd higher spec GPU for a while now and had issues with it every step of the way it seems. If you use the integrated GPU and built in display, these can be very powerful machines.

I'd take a look at the temperatures of the GPU and such when the fans are revving up. It DOES sound like the thermal system is doing what it's supposed to. It's just not supposed to be struggling with that much heat (in out opinions anyway). Perhaps it could be reasonable to consider replacing the thermal paste.

If you cook the 2nd GPU on your logic board, it isn't reasonably repairable and you're going to have to turn it off and move on without the feature.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote