Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
rafaeldk
Human being with feelings

Default Glue Items not working (I guess?)

Hello community!

I'm new here at Reaper Forum although using this DAW as edit tool in some cases for a couple of years. My main DAW is Ableton Live and this weekend for the first time I needed to consolidate (glue in reaper, right?) a audio into one media only.

My step by step is:

1 - select the two items in the same track I want to glue.
2 - right click above the selected items and click in "Glue Items"
3 - a pop-up box shows a "consolidating" status (it's more than hour audio)
4 - the items appears with the name "glued", both media exists in my folder but there's still two media items in the project.

I don't know if the image will be clear, but that shows 2 items saying "glued" but are two medias.
What am I doing wrong?
I assume I'm in the right section of the forum ^^

Thx in advance.
RD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glued.jpg (51.8 KB, 384 views)
rafaeldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:09 AM   #2
solger

Unfortunately the screenshot is too small to see anything clearly.

So maybe you can post either screenshots or a LICEcap screen capture of just a selected portion of the screen - showing the Track state before and after glueing:
- By default via using 'Shift-Command-4': https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT201361
- LICEcap: https://www.cockos.com/licecap/

In addition, you might also find some useful hints here: www.reaper.fm/videos.php#Q-xwkoy9shk

Last edited by solger; 03-02-2018 at 01:31 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:42 AM   #3
jiff 41

Have you tried, Select the tracks you want, right click, & look @ 'Item Processing' or one of the other options?

Glue just makes a new file of any changes you've made?

What you need is in the Manual; Sec 8.7 Page 160

Last edited by jiff 41; 03-02-2018 at 04:57 AM.
jiff 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
rafaeldk

thanks for your reply, guys!

solger,
genius this LICEcap application. do not knew it. And about the screenshots, I had to convert to 800x600 and max size of 64kb to be accepted. Don't know how ppl make big screenshots on the others posts =(
The video I already watched, but don't know why it's not happening like in the video, even with the same steps.

jiff41,
I've checked everything you suggested and looked the page 160 of my manual (v5.18) and the item 8.7 is actually at page 158. I believe you're suggesting to render as new take. I didn't make anything on the audio yet. No fx, no normalization, no modulations, etc... so I was looking for a simpler method to just unite two audio medias.

My situation is: I've recorded a live performance on a Reaper but in another computer. I don't know why yet but, in both days of the piece, Reaper has made a cut in the audio at 1h and 2 minutes. So I have 2 media items of the same performance. Now I'm having issue with long audio/video sync and want to make one item to stretch it.

guys, I've made a gif with this process as you asked... but I can't upload .gif files more than 64kb and bigger than 800x600 resolution. how do I show you my gif with the issue? for now, I've compressed it to fit the .zip format size.
Thanks in advance for your help until now =)

RD
Attached Files
File Type: zip glueditems.gif.zip (1.30 MB, 90 views)

Last edited by rafaeldk; 03-02-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
solger

OK, in your LICecap gif I can't really see anything out of the ordinary. So it's very strange that using the Glue Items menu or Item: Glue items Action from the Action List doesn't seem to work.

Quote:
Reaper has made a cut in the audio at 1h and 2 minutes.
Another thing you can try is this:

1) Left Item: drag the right item edge in order to extend it to full Length
2) If this works, you can remove the Right Item

Quote:
Don't know how ppl make big screenshots on the others posts
Bigger screenshots are usually uploaded to external image hosters like imgur.com. And the link to the image can then be inserted in a post with [IMG]<image link>[/IMG] tags.

Last edited by solger; 03-02-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
rafaeldk

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
OK, in your LICecap gif I can only see that aGroup menu action pops up, so not sure what happens after that.

In general:
Glue Items can be found further done in the menu list.
The corresponding Action in the Action List is: Item: Glue items.

nope... the items are grouped for another reason (synced with others medias). in the LICEcap I right click on the items and then on "Glue Itens". note that a render process starts (group items doesn't render) and, after that, the name of the file change to from "glued 06"/"glued 07" to "glued 08" and "glued 09"... I'm not getting why it is interpreting like two different glues. If I try to glue through time selection, the same happens...

maybe I can't glue items when grouped? will give it a try.

update: didn't work. BUT right now I'm editing away from my external hd and have some files offline in the same project with the same cut that I'm trying to join... the offline files turned to GLUED with only one media! I don't know what's going on...
I know I can solve this issue with others techniques... but I'm migrating from another DAW to enhance my workflow... I want the GLUE function to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Bigger screenshots are usually uploaded to external image hosters like imgur.com. And the link to the image can then be inserted in a post with [IMG]<image link>[/IMG] tags.
thanks for this info!

Last edited by rafaeldk; 03-02-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaeldk View Post
nope... the items are grouped for another reason (synced with others medias). in the LICEcap I right click on the items and then on "Glue Itens". note that a render process starts (group items doesn't render) and, after that, the name of the file change to from "glued 06"/"glued 07" to "glued 08" and "glued 09"... I'm not getting why it is interpreting like two different glues. If I try to glue through time selection, the same happens..
Yeah, I thought so after watching the gif a second time and had already edited my post in the meantime (see above).
The post with the Group part was an older version

But Grouping or not Grouping shouldn't really make any difference for Glueing ...

But maybe try if this works (which I also added in my previous post):

Or maybe try using Heal Splits in Items at the bottom of the same Right-Click menu.

Last edited by solger; 03-02-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
rafaeldk

awh, I see... I'm really diggin' into it so I'm pretty quickly answering haha.
I've updated my last post too... if you didn't see it yet, read it please. I believe there was a little advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger
Another thing you can try is this:

It's 2 medias files from the source... not cropped. It starts to loop if I try this. That's why "Heal Split Items" does not work either.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
solger

Just in case: maybe try if Glueing works when importing those 2 Audio Items into a New Project (to check if the issue might just be happening in this specific project).