Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 06-16-2019, 05:16 AM   #1
BlessedOne72
Human being with feelings

Default TASCAM US-16x08 - Linux (Ubuntu Studio)

Here's the case ...

I've downloaded some code from here ;

https://github.com/onkelDead

It's some stuff for the TASCAM US-16x08 USB Audio-Interface
to be configured in a Linux OS.

To be exact ...

GTK+ based application to control Tascam US-16x08 DSP mixer
LV2 plugin to control Tascam US-16x08 interface via custom alsa driver
Android app to control Ardour via OSC for live mixing and recording
patch file to add Tascam US16x08 mixer support to kernel driver snd-usb-audio

Now sure as hell I know myself I'm not a coder (never have been and quite possibly will never be), so now comes the big question ;

What exactly do I have to do to make those lines of code to executable programs ?

Or if someone, who has some spare time could do this for me ?!?

- BOne -
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
suchatravesty

Following. I think there are ways to use the interface with jack but you won't have the tascam software for adjusting levels in the direct monitoring output.
suchatravesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:51 AM   #3
k-d3

Default The Ubuntu-Tascam-Issue...

Hey there!

Just in case anyone is still interested in using the tascam-gtk with Ubuntu (Studio) and Tascam US-16x08:

You need the following toolset:
+ terminal window
+ super user rights
+ tascam-gtk source code (https://github.com/onkelDead/tascam-gtk)

DISCLAIMER: Attention! Proceeding with the next steps, you will install some programs from untrusted sources that may harm your data, laptop... If you have no idea what the code for the tascam-gtk does, you simply must rely on the goodwill of the programmer who wrote the code (as I did :-)). I do not take responsibility for any damages that may occur while following these instructions. So, go on at your own risk!

Run all proposed commands in a terminal window, omitting the quotation marks:

1.) Assuming that you have super user rights on your OS, and already downloaded/extracted or git-cloned the tascam-gtk repository, browse to the folder containing the files (e.g. "cd /home/your-username/downloads/tascam-gtk/") via a terminal window.

2.) When executing the command "ls" (or "ll" for enhanced readability) you should now see all relevant files like "config.h" or "Makefile". Now run the command "./configure" (without(!) super user rights). This will check for all the required libraries and programs, needed to compile the source code. If any dependency is missing, install it with "sudo apt install some-required-program".

3.) Assuming that step 2 was succesful (i.e., no errors shown in the terminal window), run the command "make" this will use the instructions from the Makefile within the source code folder, and build an executable install file. I had an error occuring while running "make", stating that "lclocal-1.5.0" (or so) was missing. If this happens to you too, run the command "autoreconf -f -i" inside the source code folder. This command will update the configuration files needed to build the programm on your Ubuntu. After running autoreconf you have to redo steps 1, 2 and 3. Now there should be no more errors (if so, please try to find a solution to fix them for yourself, or post them in this thread, so we can find a way to handle them together).

4.) Now the source code is ready for being installed. To do so, run the command (now with super user rights) "sudo make install". This will install the tascam-gtk. You can run "sudo make uninstall" to undo the installation for whatever reason.

5.) Now connect your Tascam device and run "tascamgtk" in a terminal (this will show any errors that may occur at program startup, so you have more information for searching the web for any solutions). If all went well, you should see a functional GUI for the Tascam US-16x08 interface. One quick word regarding the tascam-driver-patch that is also hosted on the same github repo as the tascam-gtk: I did not need to install this patch to run the tascamgtk. I tried to install it, so I could control the Tascam device via alsamixer but did not succeed in doing so.

Well, I had my struggles with the source code of the tascam-gtk, not been explained anywhere how to install and use it, but (for now) it works for me like a charm! Hopefully, this manual works for you!

So long!
k-d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
suchatravesty

Thanks a lot! I'll have to give this a try soon. I've been using Tascam without the GUI, the inputs just happen to show up under ALSA in Reaper. So no control of monitor mix but it does work in a pinch. I've been using an external mixer to get the monitor mix I need but if I can get this to work, that would be great! Now to just figure out the remaining few plugins I have that won't play nice with LinVst and wine.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchatravesty View Post
I've been using Tascam without the GUI, the inputs just happen to show up under ALSA in Reaper. So no control of monitor mix but it does work in a pinch. I've been using an external mixer to get the monitor mix I need but if I can get this to work, that would be great!
Don't know if this would translate, but on my Behringer UMC1820 which is a similar device, I setup a bus that sends to hardware outputs 3/4, which feed an external 5 output headphone amp.

For most stuff I just duplicate the stereo mix on my sub-master, but in a pinch I can easily drag-n-drop independent routing from every track in REAPER and dial a different mix for headphones if I need to.

The Behringer unit has switching on it's two built in headphone jacks to use channels 1/2 or 3/4, so I have them also using 3/4.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
suchatravesty

I finally got around to giving your instructions a try k-d3, it works!!! I'll have to buy this onkel guy a beer!
Old 07-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
BlessedOne72

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-d3 View Post
Hey there!

Just in case anyone is still interested in using the tascam-gtk with Ubuntu (Studio) and Tascam US-16x08:

You need the following toolset:
+ terminal window
+ super user rights
+ tascam-gtk source code (https://github.com/onkelDead/tascam-gtk)

DISCLAIMER: Attention! Proceeding with the next steps, you will install some programs from untrusted sources that may harm your data, laptop... If you have no idea what the code for the tascam-gtk does, you simply must rely on the goodwill of the programmer who wrote the code (as I did :-)). I do not take responsibility for any damages that may occur while following these instructions. So, go on at your own risk!

Run all proposed commands in a terminal window, omitting the quotation marks:

1.) Assuming that you have super user rights on your OS, and already downloaded/extracted or git-cloned the tascam-gtk repository, browse to the folder containing the files (e.g. "cd /home/your-username/downloads/tascam-gtk/") via a terminal window.

2.) When executing the command "ls" (or "ll" for enhanced readability) you should now see all relevant files like "config.h" or "Makefile". Now run the command "./configure" (without(!) super user rights). This will check for all the required libraries and programs, needed to compile the source code. If any dependency is missing, install it with "sudo apt install some-required-program".

3.) Assuming that step 2 was succesful (i.e., no errors shown in the terminal window), run the command "make" this will use the instructions from the Makefile within the source code folder, and build an executable install file. I had an error occuring while running "make", stating that "lclocal-1.5.0" (or so) was missing. If this happens to you too, run the command "autoreconf -f -i" inside the source code folder. This command will update the configuration files needed to build the programm on your Ubuntu. After running autoreconf you have to redo steps 1, 2 and 3. Now there should be no more errors (if so, please try to find a solution to fix them for yourself, or post them in this thread, so we can find a way to handle them together).

4.) Now the source code is ready for being installed. To do so, run the command (now with super user rights) "sudo make install". This will install the tascam-gtk. You can run "sudo make uninstall" to undo the installation for whatever reason.

5.) Now connect your Tascam device and run "tascamgtk" in a terminal (this will show any errors that may occur at program startup, so you have more information for searching the web for any solutions). If all went well, you should see a functional GUI for the Tascam US-16x08 interface. One quick word regarding the tascam-driver-patch that is also hosted on the same github repo as the tascam-gtk: I did not need to install this patch to run the tascamgtk. I tried to install it, so I could control the Tascam device via alsamixer but did not succeed in doing so.

Well, I had my struggles with the source code of the tascam-gtk, not been explained anywhere how to install and use it, but (for now) it works for me like a charm! Hopefully, this manual works for you!

So long!

Hi ...

I'm back at this on AV Linux MX .
Stuck in terminal --->

after running ./configure --->

configure: error: Package requirements (libxml++-2.6) were not met:

No package 'libxml++-2.6' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables XML2_CFLAGS
and XML2_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

HOW to solve this ?

- BOne -
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #8
suchatravesty

BlessedOne72,

From deciphering my old notes:
"
[I had to install these manually from synaptic package manager gui, the terminal prompt just asked for generic names so I had to do some digging, liblo=these 3, the terminal prompt also asked for libasound2-dev by a different name:]

libxml++2.6-dev (2.40.1-2)
libxml++2.6-doc (2.40.1-2)
libxml2-dev (2.9.4+dfsg1-6.1ubuntu1.3)
libasound2-dev (1.1.3-5ubuntu0.5)
"

I think once I had those installed I just ran ./configure again and then things were fine.

Wouldn't hurt to do a timeshift snapshot before you start messing around.

It looks like I currently have these installed:

libasound2 v1.1.3-5ubuntu0.5
libasound2-data v1.1.3-5ubuntu0.5
libasound2-dev v1.1.3-5ubuntu0.5
libasound2-plugins v1.1.1-1ubuntu1
libasound2-plugins:i386 v1.1.1-1ubuntu1
libasound2:i386 v1.1.3-5ubuntu0.5

libxml++2.6-2v5 v2.40.1-2
libxml++2.6-dev v2.40.1-2
libxml++2.6-doc v2.40.1-2

liblo-dev v0.29-1
liblo-tools v0.29-1
liblo7 v0.29-1

I'm on Mint 19.3 (Ubuntu 18.04) 64bit, YMMV.