Old 06-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
JMTee
Human being with feelings

Default EDM track

Hi all,
Just finished mix of a new EDM track, please check it out, would love your feedback/tips/etc!
https://soundcloud.com/user-821594153/miracle

Track contains samples from:
"Put A Praise On It" - Tasha Cobbs
"New Wine" - Hillsong Worship
JMTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
JMTee

Hi all,
Would love any feedback on the mix, arrangement, etc., thanks so much for taking time to listen!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
lilith93

Musically this is absolutely not my business, but your mix sounds VERY GOOD and professional imo. Well balanced and transparent.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
JMTee

Thanks very much for listening and for the feedback!
I mixed following kenny’s “Mixing in reaper”, then rendered to .wav and dropped the .wav in LANDR for mastering (provides some free online masters)
Thanks again for listening!
Old 06-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
vitalker

I would obviously make the vocal quiter. Also more patterns are welcomed for variety. Give the sounds more dynamics and space using chorus, distortion and similar FX. I believe it will sound better after these changes. Good luck!
P.S. the drums sound a bit midi-ish.

Last edited by vitalker; 06-23-2019 at 03:28 PM.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
JMTee

Thanks so much for listening, really appreciate it. Very good feedback as well, thanks for that, I agree when I heard the master the vocals are loud, and more variety would help too, yes drums are all midi, native instruments battery, any tips on mixing midi drums/making them sound less midi? Thanks again for your feedback!! 😀
Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
synkrotron

Hi JMTee

Sounding okay to me here, on my cans.

What I am not too sure about, and it is probably just me cos I don't know much about the EDM genre, is when the vocal comes in it sounds like it is part of another track, if you know what I mean. As though it's not just a vocal sample, but part of another song.

Regarding the percussion, you could spend some time revisiting the velocity levels to try and reduce the machine gun effect. You could even try "humanising" the MIDI too, although, with anything that is of the electronic genre, I don't think it matters much as, in a live situation, you could be using a drum machine anyway.

If it was a rock song, then, yeah, more attention to the human feel would be important.

All just my opinion, of course
Old 06-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTee View Post
yes drums are all midi, native instruments battery, any tips on mixing midi drums/making them sound less midi?
Well, I've meant they sound like those from General MIDI bible. Battery is just a sampler, you can load there whatever you want. They don't sound like EDM. You can grab free EDM drums, just type in "free EDM drums pack" to any search engine.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
JMTee

Thanks very much for listening, great feedback. yes for the samples I just wanted to grab the vocal so I used audacity to try and isolate the vocals, it isolated the vocals somewhat but some of the music was still in the sample, can’t remember the steps I used in audacity, I just followed a tutorial online, it looked like there are some plugins you can buy that will completely isolate the vocals, if anyone has any tips on vocal sampling that would be great!
Thanks again for the feedback, and the clarifications and suggestions on the drums 😀