Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #3361
Freex
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
I think for this to work, it will have to be done at the Reaper level using its Rename FX facility (right click on plugin in browser) You probably won't need to to do anything in CSI, it should 'just work' like the renames assigned to plugins in an FX chain do.
Would an alias definition in the FX map not be more cohesive. If that's actually possible.

Last edited by Freex; 07-13-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Freex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:06 AM   #3362
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freex View Post
Would an alias definition in the FX map not be more cohesive. If that's actually possible.
It certainly is possible (we already have it for the parameters themselves), it will be in a future build -- @MixMonkey may be right that "it will have to be done at the Reaper level using its Rename FX facility" but I'm still adding it just for consistency with the rest of the FX Zone file format, if nothing else
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #3363
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
It certainly is possible (we already have it for the parameters themselves), it will be in a future build -- @MixMonkey may be right that "it will have to be done at the Reaper level using its Rename FX facility" but I'm still adding it just for consistency with the rest of the FX Zone file format, if nothing else
It would be great if it could be done like the FX parameter's alias.

My thinking was that at the point you see FX1-8 on the display (C4 or MCU etc) you haven't activated the Zone for any of the FX, so how can it pull up an alias from the definition?
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #3364
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
It would be great if it could be done like the FX parameter's alias.

My thinking was that at the point you see FX1-8 on the display (C4 or MCU etc) you haven't activated the Zone for any of the FX, so how can it pull up an alias from the definition?
Ah, that's because it's an implementation detail

You think of the definitions being hauled in from disk as needed, but in reality they are all preloaded.

So, when we construct a Zone instance from a .zon file, it's easy to add an alias, jut one extra file parse statement
Old 07-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #3365
MixMonkey

Quote:
Ah, that's because it's an implementation detail

You think of the definitions being hauled in from disk as needed, but in reality they are all preloaded.

So, when we construct a Zone instance from a .zon file, it's easy to add an alias, jut one extra file parse statement
Great just gets better and better!
Old 07-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #3366
poetnprophet

Quote:
Maybe install this: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/11712/WaddMCUC4.zip and see what happens...
I don't know how to use it, I can get the ProX surface to work, I can get C4 function buttons to toggle, but not sure how to use the C4 for fx or anything. Any quick tips?
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #3367
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I don't know how to use it, I can get the ProX surface to work, I can get C4 function buttons to toggle, but not sure how to use the C4 for fx or anything. Any quick tips?
Here's an ancient video, unfortunately nothing on FX, I think you select a Channel with ReaEQ (I'm sure there is a map for that FX) on the track and hit the FX button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjJ8e4-p_y4
Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #3368
MixMonkey

Quote:
Use this C4FXParams.ini EDIT: put it in a folder called C4FX in the Reaper folder (in AppData)

Code:
-- if you uncomment the  + on the next line the mode will switch from FX to +16 ----
-+
---------------- ReaEQ -------------------------------
FX|VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)|3
S2|Bypass|ReaEQ|0
SW|ShowWindow|"|0
SR|Freq-Low Shelf| Freq |1
FP|Gain-Low Shelf| Gain |9
BW|Q-Low Shelf|17
SR|Freq-Band 2| Freq |2
FP|Gain-Band 2| Gain |10
BW|Q-Band 2|  Q  |18
SR|Freq-Band 3| Freq |3
FP|Gain-Band 3| Gain |11
BW|Q-Band 3|  Q  |19
SR|Freq-High Shelf| Freq |4
FP|Gain-High Shelf| Gain |12
BW|Q-High Shelf|20
Cockos changed the parameter names at some point in the last 7 years, so Geoff's original file doesn't work anymore.

Make sure Lock is lit on C4, otherwise the parameters won't appear. Select a track with ReaEQ on it and you should see the params appear on rows A,B and C. Marker shows/hides the FX window.

Last edited by MixMonkey; 07-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #3369
poetnprophet

The only thing I have been able to get working so far is the Marker button to toggle the plugin window. Seems to be intermittent, though. What's that mean?

The Lock and function button lights toggle on and off also, but I don't know what they do.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #3370
MixMonkey

Quote:
The only thing I have been able to get working so far is the Marker button to toggle the plugin window. Seems to be intermittent, though. What's that mean?

The Lock and function button lights toggle on and off also, but I don't know what they do.
The Lock button has to be lit for the C4 to display the FX parameters, no idea about Function though.

Did you try the C4FXParams.ini I posted? is it in the right place? Working here with ReaEQ.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #3371
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
The only thing I have been able to get working so far is the Marker button to toggle the plugin window. Seems to be intermittent, though. What's that mean?.
Did you get a chance to test with another equivalent power supply as per @MixMonkey's suggestion -- flakey displays, intermittent buttons... power supply sure is a good place to start -- make absolutely sure voltage and polarity are correct before trying this at home
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #3372
Geoff Waddington

Control surface display update frequency: default 15 Hz.

FYI super boffin (I love that word ) project update:

The architecture is sufficiently flexible for this iteration.

Now to devote some time to performance/reliability.

You may recall some problems with stale track pointers a while back.

That's because the easy/low resource way to do things is to only rebuild the CSI track cache when things change.

That's been fine up to now, but now we need to take it up a notch.

Using my late 2012 mac mini (2.3GHz quad i7) as a test machine and the 1420 track stress test project it was determined that it took about a millisecond to rebuild the whole track list.

That means we can take a brute force/very robust approach.

Remember that number from the beginning of the post -- 15 Hz ?

That's how often CSI gets called to update its world -- that means we can rebuild the entire track list 15 times a second and use only 15 msec total on a 1420 track project !

This means inserting/deleting/moving tracks, etc., is as quick as Reaper, and no more stale track pointers, because we are constantly dynamically updating.

One of those rare times when you get speed AND robustness together

This is working here currently.

The next step is to do the same thing to FX and Sends -- make them entirely dynamic, like tracks are now.

That means an opportunity to improve things.

MapSelectedTrackFXToWidgets and MapFocusedTrackFXToWidgets will now be on a surface by surface basis, so you can mix and match a lot more easily.

Sends will then follow in the dynamic footsteps.

I like the current way we can dedicate a block 1-4, 1-8, etc., but will probably add banking within that block if there are more Sends than can fit...

You can still spill mappings outside of one surface using ZoneLink.

Just a bit of a progress report, any thoughts/suggestions, etc., always more than welcomed

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; Yesterday at 02:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #3373
MixMonkey

Quote:
One of those rare times when you get speed AND robustness together
That all sounds pretty comprehensive (well the bits I understood anyway) Is there a significant increase in CPU use to achieve it?

Banking on the sends sounds good (although I don't think I've used more than 8 sends ever, but who knows what workflows are around the corner) Just a reminder for blanking/zeroing on unused sends if poss

Been mulling over the FX/Zone thing a bit now that the stack is no more and thinking about what Freex was saying about taking over only part of the C4 surface and then returning to the original splay.

Now, we have the tools to do this at the moment with GoZone but I was wondering if we could finesse it a bit.

Say my initial FX Zone covers the entire C4, A1-D8. I've set up another Zone that only uses B1-B8. Now when I call that Zone only B1-B8 will change, the rest of the C4 will stay as it was originally because it hasn't been overwritten.

When I want to return B1-B8 to their original state, I have to call the entire A1-D8 Zone, even though only B1-B8 need changing, with the corresponding wait for the whole surface to load.

I was wondering if it was possible to make the initial Zone more granular, say break it down into the 4 rows (for the sake of argument), A,B.C and D. That way to return from my second B1-B8 zone all I need to do is call row B. Rows A,C and D haven't been changed by calling the second Zone, so don't need resetting.

I struck me that all that is needed to make this work is for the initial activator to be able to call (simultaneously) several Zones to populate the surface, instead of just one. So I break my current big FX Zone into several smaller Zones (depending how I want to carve up the surface) and the initial activator calls all of them together.

Then when I want to change just a bit of the surface, I can do that as I do now with GoZone and when I want to restore the original I can just GoZone to restore only the bit I've changed of the original activation.
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #3374
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
That all sounds pretty comprehensive (well the bits I understood anyway) Is there a significant increase in CPU use to achieve it?

Banking on the sends sounds good (although I don't think I've used more than 8 sends ever, but who knows what workflows are around the corner) Just a reminder for blanking/zeroing on unused sends if poss

Been mulling over the FX/Zone thing a bit now that the stack is no more and thinking about what Freex was saying about taking over only part of the C4 surface and then returning to the original splay.

Now, we have the tools to do this at the moment with GoZone but I was wondering if we could finesse it a bit.

Say my initial FX Zone covers the entire C4, A1-D8. I've set up another Zone that only uses B1-B8. Now when I call that Zone only B1-B8 will change, the rest of the C4 will stay as it was originally because it hasn't been overwritten.

When I want to return B1-B8 to their original state, I have to call the entire A1-D8 Zone, even though only B1-B8 need changing, with the corresponding wait for the whole surface to load.

I was wondering if it was possible to make the initial Zone more granular, say break it down into the 4 rows (for the sake of argument), A,B.C and D. That way to return from my second B1-B8 zone all I need to do is call row B. Rows A,C and D haven't been changed by calling the second Zone, so don't need resetting.

I struck me that all that is needed to make this work is for the initial activator to be able to call (simultaneously) several Zones to populate the surface, instead of just one. So I break my current big FX Zone into several smaller Zones (depending how I want to carve up the surface) and the initial activator calls all of them together.

Then when I want to change just a bit of the surface, I can do that as I do now with GoZone and when I want to restore the original I can just GoZone to restore only the bit I've changed of the original activation.
I think you can already do that a couple of ways:

Code:
zoneActivationButton GoneZone A
zoneActivationButton GoneZone B
zoneActivationButton GoneZone C
zoneActivationButton GoneZone D
or

Code:
Zone RowA
ZoneEnd

Zone RowB
ZoneEnd

Zone RowC
ZoneEnd

Zone RowD
ZoneEnd

Zone AllRows
        IncludedZones
            ZoneA
            ZoneB
            ZoneC
            ZoneD
        IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd
and just call the pieces as necessary.
Old Today, 06:33 AM   #3375
MixMonkey

Quote:
I think you can already do that a couple of ways:

Code:
zoneActivationButton GoneZone A
zoneActivationButton GoneZone B
zoneActivationButton GoneZone C
zoneActivationButton GoneZone D
or

Code:
Zone RowA
ZoneEnd

Zone RowB
ZoneEnd

Zone RowC
ZoneEnd

Zone RowD
ZoneEnd

Zone AllRows
        IncludedZones
            ZoneA
            ZoneB
            ZoneC
            ZoneD
        IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd
and just call the pieces as necessary.
Thanks Geoff, the IncludedZones solution looks to be what I need

Incidentally, as a general rule, can a button be assigned to do two things simultaneously, like activate a Zone and toggle an FX parameter?

Any ETA on the new build?, itchin' to get me hands on these new features
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #3376
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Thanks Geoff, the IncludedZones solution looks to be what I need
Cool, they are available in the build you have.

Quote:
TIncidentally, as a general rule, can a button be assigned to do two things simultaneously, like activate a Zone and toggle an FX parameter?
Yes.

Quote:
TAny ETA on the new build?, itchin' to get me hands on these new features
You likely will not see much difference (NoAction should blank displays -- simple fixes like that), just better performance, no crashes.

The biggie is SelectedTrack now works on a per surface basis.

ETA ? Hopefully end of week for something primitive
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #3377
MixMonkey

Quote:
ETA ? Hopefully end of week for something primitive
Great Looking forward to playing around with Zones without upsetting the Stack
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #3378
poetnprophet

Quote:
Did you get a chance to test with another equivalent power supply as per @MixMonkey's suggestion -- flakey displays, intermittent buttons... power supply sure is a good place to start -- make absolutely sure voltage and polarity are correct before trying this at home
I didn't get to test any further, sorry. Was just too busy, but thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll get at it again another time.