Old 05-23-2020, 03:17 AM   #1
X-Raym
Human being with feelings

Default Q: Get average pitch of items with GetMediaItemTake_Peaks (peakrate ?)

Hi !

I'm trying to see if GetMediaItemTake_Peaks can be good enough to get average note of an item.

The doc:
Quote:
Code:
reaper.GetMediaItemTake_Peaks( take, peakrate, starttime, numchannels, numsamplesperchannel, want_extra_type, buf )
Gets block of peak samples to buf. Note that the peak samples are interleaved, but in two or three blocks (maximums, then minimums, then extra). Return value has 20 bits of returned sample count, then 4 bits of output_mode (0xf00000), then a bit to signify whether extra_type was available (0x1000000). extra_type can be 115 ('s') for spectral information, which will return peak samples as integers with the low 15 bits frequency, next 14 bits tonality.

In its initial code snippet to get pitch of item at certain position, using this function, Justin just put "1000" as peak rate. Why 1000 ?

https://github.com/ReaTeam/ReaScript...sition.lua#L43

What would be the best way to average pitch of a whole items ? Using peakrate = 1000 and sample pitch every X value (what would be in X in this case ?), or putting as many sample as the item has in peakrate without the need to create a loop ?

Thanks for the clarification about this function !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
X-Raym

Well maybe this function isnt the most adapted for such things. I just found a cross platform CLI tool wich can do media pitch analyses with various algorythms possible, this extra flexibility can be useful.

Though my questions are still open, for curiosity.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
mpl

Probably best way is just loop every 1000samples to build pitch corellation (obey tonality and octave shifts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Why 1000 ?
I think 1000 samples is near 40Hz sine period for 44100Hz samplerate aka lower detection limit.