Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
reapercurious
Human being with feelings

Default svg

can you make a walter theme using .svg files? would be cool to be able to make lossless 'what you see is what you get' theme elements.

WT?
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
run, megalodon

Nope.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Pixelshock

Well, SVG is a vector file format. And no application interface really uses it. That's pretty much limited to print work (for resolution independent designs) and flash. You wouldn't want vector anyhow. It's pretty much shapes and gradients. It's fantastic for logo designs and typefaces, but nice detailed GUIs? Not so much.
Pixelshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
can you make a walter theme using .svg files? would be cool to be able to make lossless 'what you see is what you get' theme elements. WT?
'ello. No, but you're absolutely on my wavelength. There is the start of something exciting in 'LVG' (lice vector graphics) but at the moment its super-preliminary, very limited in what you can do, and performs an internal raster before any stretching, which is a shame. I hope dearly for a future where we can convert SVG elements into LVG (even if it were a bit of a manual script slog) and use them. My dream would be:
  • Teeny tiny file size : which is handy and very Reaper
  • Comprehensive anchored stretching : so much more effective and flexible than the pink lines, we could have complete control of what happens to each feature as Reaper does all its clever stretching. Crisp non-distorting edge details round a centre anchored icon? No problem!
  • Recolouring within WALTER : If all colours are numbers, we could perhaps target those numbers from within our walter code; colour changing sub-elements based on conditionals? Awesome.
  • Recolouring by the user : Think of the toolbar icons, for example. The real work there is the shapes, but the real limitation is their colours, either because users don't like the colours we chose, or they don't work as well as they could with the theme being used. If we were providing as vector we could have, for example, marked the three colours of our palette in some way that the user could easily tweak them locally, at a whim.
  • Recolouring everything : If its all vector, there's no ugliness or 'pink line corruption' downside to letting the user have easy access to some basic overall colour adjustment tools. Theme too dark for you? Bump that slider, etc...
  • Vector as control elements for embedded sub-images. No more pink lines, just slice up your bitmap and anchor each bit as you want it to stretch, encapsulated in a single file.
There's no reason to think any of this will ever happen, and it would require a colossal effort from the developers. I'm very wary of asking for such things, this is after all an audio application... but it would be fan-bleedin-tastic, because its a very stretchy audio application, and the colour alteration flexibility would be a big win for end-user functionality and fitting in with Reaper's increasing user-customization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelshock View Post
Well, SVG is a vector file format. And no application interface really uses it. That's pretty much limited to print work (for resolution independent designs) and flash. You wouldn't want vector anyhow. It's pretty much shapes and gradients. It's fantastic for logo designs and typefaces, but nice detailed GUIs? Not so much.
Beg to differ sir, vector is very heavily used in GUI creation (90% of my work is vector, 99% of my theme work, and the default theme is 100% vector) and SVG is increasingly used as the delivery medium within the application itself. SVG not uncommon within plugin UI (I believe JUCE can be thanked for much of that) and its very much the future in all manner of iOS/android interface work, not least because of the need to target so many screen sizes and resolutions - tablets, retina display, blah blah blah.

---------------------------

vvvv pictures of lots of vector stuff vvvv
Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelshock
Well, SVG is a vector file format. And no application interface really uses it
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie
Beg to differ sir, vector is very heavily used in GUI creation
Yes, White Tie, as usual, speaketh the truth, a lot of GUI work is now being done with Vector graphics, and yes, JUCE has really helped the vector approach along on the plugin side of things.

Man, would I love to see what White Tie could do with less constraints --- OOOOOH My !!!!!
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
IXix

Ah, it's good to have a dream.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Sigilus

simply put vectors eliminate resizing issues.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
reapercurious

what would be needed in order to display a simple .svg in the most rudimentary way from within reaper? libraries? licenses?

what about cairo? gif? where is the bottleneck?

i guess i dont understand what sort of container or graphical engine a given computer system needs to display multiple image formats.

Last edited by reapercurious; 02-06-2012 at 11:06 AM.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Pixelshock

Quote:
Beg to differ sir, vector is very heavily used in GUI creation (90% of my work is vector, 99% of my theme work, and the default theme is 100% vector) and SVG is increasingly used as the delivery medium within the application itself. SVG not uncommon within plugin UI (I believe JUCE can be thanked for much of that) and its very much the future in all manner of iOS/android interface work, not least because of the need to target so many screen sizes and resolutions - tablets, retina display, blah blah blah.
I thought the images inside the Reaper GUI were bit-mapped graphics (JPG/PNG....etc.). I realize a lot of what we designers make can originate from a vector format, but ultimately end up as regular pixels.

I've seen very few plugins out there that don't use bit-mapped images for their interface. In fact, I can't remember ever opening any plugin inside Reaper with a scalable interface (outside of perhaps Ozone 5's analyzer). Not to say they don't exist....I'm just not familiar with any.

I don't agree with the Android and iOS interface comment you made. All those apps are set to run at a specific resolution and the graphics contained are the same. That's why all the iPad apps had to use the upscale button before everyone switched to universal apps (iTouch/iPhone/iPad). Even Apple themselves uses PNGs for nearly all their interface pieces.
Pixelshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
run, megalodon

Quote:
You wouldn't want vector anyhow. It's pretty much shapes and gradients. It's fantastic for logo designs and typefaces, but nice detailed GUIs? Not so much.
I'm not so keen on all the nice details in DAW GUIs.

Something like Ableton is nice, and looks like it could have been done with vector:

run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:27 AM   #11
gapalil001

vector images is a good idea, but imo may contain a lot of issues. i guess that better choice will be use .tiff files that contains few images for different scales, that is what apple Logic Pro X actually use, and it works excellent in it. yes, you must draw every image individually, but the result may be more stable
gapalil001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #12
LarrySeyer

Just an idea...

What if Reaper's Theme file read .SVG images and Reaper rendered them into Bitmaps when it needed to update the internal images.

Seems to me that might be the best of both worlds.
LarrySeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #13
oneammonday

I don't understand what y'all are talkin' about, but it sure reads pretty.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #14
gentleclockdivider

Quote:

I've seen very few plugins out there that don't use bit-mapped images for their interface. In fact, I can't remember ever opening any plugin inside Reaper with a scalable interface (outside of perhaps Ozone 5's analyzer). Not to say they don't exist....I'm just not familiar with any.
Cytomic plugins
Tal plugins ( all the commercial ones )
vallhalla plugs
Madrona Labs
VCV rack
etc..
gentleclockdivider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:05 AM   #15
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

People, you are responding to a thread that was necro'd from 2012. Here's a much newer SVG thread. Its not going to happen any time soon though, I'm afraid.