Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Ferrrb
Human being with feelings

Default Who's using Reaper in linux?

Soon i will buy Reaper and i want to use ubuntu studio.
Anybody there use Reaper in linux? With WINE? How does it work? Any limitation?
And anybody knows if reaper will be avalible for Linux? I've seen some threads of reaper users that are developing a linux version.
Thank you.
Ferrrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
pitpat

Hey Ferrrb

This was a recent thread on the same topic. You might find some useful material there

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ighlight=linux
pitpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
royleith

Default Reaper in Linux - Wine

I'm looking forward to a native Linux version of Reaper. Since I rarely boot up a Windows machine, I took an interest in using Reaper in Linux Wine.

I was astonished when it worked in stock Kubuntu 12.10 and installed it in Ubuntu Studio 12.10 to see how usable it could be. The key is to use ASIO for Wine and I found this link,

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=wineasio

I found the latest version of LinReaper some months ago. Don't make the mistake of installing Reaper directly into Wine. LinReaper sets up a special Wine environment and installs ASIO for Wine. There is no way I could do this for myself. If you want to install other programs alongside Reaper, you might try it by running Reaper to set up Wine for the purposes of the installation. Otherwise, Reaper is not available at the same time as other programs installed in Wine. You will have to use the Reaper launcher as a template for launchers for other programs in the environment.

I have been involved in helping someone else master Cubase in Windows and have not got too adventurous with Reaper, so far, but I am now getting stuck in.

LinReaper works well with jack. I have recorded using a Focusright Saffire Firewire 8x8 interface and also with an E-MU Xboard49 keyboard controller. I use both an Edirol SD-20 MIDI module and have produced reabanks for this. There are existing banks for the Roland JV1080 that I also use. I have also produced reabanks for the Roland MC-80 for my pal, but he has not migrated from Cubase... yet.

When I have given the reabanks more use, I will upload them to the resources site.

I am using my little browsing computer (an Acer Revo with an Atom processor) as a learning tool and this means no Firewire and the need for an external USB audio Line In interface. Jack reports the latency as 11.6 ms using the internal sound chip (not for direct comparison for any figures given by Windows ASIO, but it is very good for a toy computer).

I have done quite a lot of MIDI editing and Reaper is very responsive. The only downside is that Reaper takes quite a long time to load because of the need to also load Wine. Even with an Atom processor, it is faster to cold boot into a working Reaper session than on Windows 7 on a quad-core AMD system.

My Acer shows its low power with video streaming and image manipulation. If I manage to load Reaper sufficiently to make its performance dip, I will let you know. I can see no reason why you wouldn't want to use Reaper in Linux with LinReaper.
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
SmoothBro

Default Reaper in Ubuntu

Is there a performance difference when installing Reaper directly into Wine rather than using LinReaper? When I used Ubuntu Studio, I got xruns and some error saying "Reaper cannot run in state" (something like that, not at my music computer now), but continued to work. I also tried Reaper in AVLinux 6 and had very good performance, but do not get that message. I didn't use LinReaper.

I just installed Ubuntu with Dream Studio last night and will give that a try to see how well it runs. Will report back if I get that error again.

Thanks,

Omar
SmoothBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
royleith

Default Reaper in Ubuntu

Installing Reaper in Wine in a standard Linux distribution is not a good idea, although it does seem to work pretty well. Use one of the 'Studio' distributions in order to get the 'RT' kernel for lower latency, automatic setup of the priorities and permissions for best performance and a good jack configuration.

To use jack and the low latency kernel you have to have ASIO for Wine or else you will not see the audio and midi ports in Reaper. LinReaper sets a Reaper-only Wine environment into which ASIO for Wine is installed. That avoids any conflicts with your other Wine installations.

jack is reporting 5.8ms latency with a stock Acer Revo sound chip for me using Ubuntu Studio and Reaper seems to work very well. There are some things which are slow like the dragging of the cursor because the Atom processor is no ball of fire. However, it is amazingly good and you soon forget the lowly hardware.

Roy Leith
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
corazon

A new release of Studio1337 is out, with an install script
for 4.33. And newest linux apps.

I always have just run the stock Reaper installer,
without issues, placed in the /home/me partition.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...=699854#699854

http://www.getstudio1337.com

This is a great RT setup.
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote