Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Yidneth
Human being with feelings

Default Reliable and affordable USB interface for live events with REAPER?

Hello everyone,
The laptop that I was using for live events has died finally . When I power on, it shows half black and half white screen and I am afraid it is the video chipset that fried. We tried to fix it by doing something called reflow, adding heat directly to the chipset and it started working again, but only for one day. Certainly we cannot use this for live use anymore.

It was a musicxpc and it served me well, but now I have to face the fact that all new laptops I may buy to replace have not firewire connection anymore . I used a RME Fireface400 (firewire port) and now I don't know what laptop/usb audio interface I could get. I have the best opinion possible about RME, but they are quite expensive and I wonder If I could opt for a more affordable laptop/interface combo that would be reliable enough to trigger the backing tracks during a concert as well as some live vsts with enough stability. It would be good if it has various outputs to send the backing tracks, effects, and one VSTi separately to the stage mixing board. I will go on using my RME in my home studio, but I now lack a system I can use as portable studio or for venues.
grateful of any recommendation, thx <3
Yidneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
stratotak

Just get a new laptop that fits your needs and then buy a a firewire adapter card for like $25 or so.No need to get a new interface If its working fine.
http://www.amazon.com/ExpressCard-13.../dp/B003N3J354

EDIT:To add would probably go to RME support and find out what firewire chipsets they recommend so that you choose the right adapter.I know ProSonus has a list of their firewire interfaces and the firewire chipsets that work and do not work with each device.

Last edited by stratotak; 06-18-2015 at 06:53 AM.
stratotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
serr

The thunderbolt port is magnitudes faster than firewire and fully supports all firewire devices with a $35 adapter. Just avoid the cheap 'netbook' machines that only have USB ports.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
stratotak

I dont follow computer tech much.I thought Thunderbolt was a Mac thing?Didnt know it was a PC thing now.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
cyrano

Thunderbolt is an Intel thing, mainly. Apple's just helping out marketing it...
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
ivansc

You are very unlikely to need everything Thunderbolt offers - stick with the firewire. Any reliable USB interface is going to cost you a lot more than going with a FW card attached to your replacement laptop..but it is getting harder and harder to find reasonably-priced laptops at sensible prices that actually have 1394 or similar that can accommodate an external firewire adapter.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Lazarus

Here's a nice, relevant picture of a real world test with Thunderbolt...

... showing that the amount of data that gets through the "pipe" is primarily dependent on the speed it is sent at. So the test above is limited by the hard disk speeds.

With live audio, you can't get any faster than live and we don't really send a lot of data in the big scheme of things. So for audio interfaces Thunderbolt doesn't mean much and doesn't actually make anything "faster".

Also look at the RME results (FW vs USB), paying close attention to the total Round Trip Latency figures. USB3 is ahead of Firewire with the same (and best) manufacturer. Only just, and it wouldn't matter if it was the other way either, but the salient point to take from it all is that serr has been spewing half baked nonsense again.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
serr

Suggesting a $35 solution vs. replacing an entire audio interface is half baked?

OK...

We're on thunderbolt 2 nowadays. Speed is 20Gbps.

The express34 slots went away around 2011 and thunderbolt became the new thing. It's intended to replace express pci based adapters and that includes firewire support.

Now if someone has a story about a firewire device NOT playing nice with the adapter - do tell. Inquiring minds would surely like to know.

My suggestion is always to keep older equipment in service for as long as possible.
RME is nice gear. Should keep working for 15 - 20 years.
You could also pick up a top of the line Macbook Pro from 4 years ago for far less than a new interface.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
stratotak

Ok..this is just for my own understanding.Saying that Thunderbolt is just not Mac and PC laptops come with Thunderbolt??Is it called something different on PC laptops?
I went to Best Buy site and looked through Laptops.Price form $300-$4,000 laptops and I didnt see one laptop say anything about Thunderbolt in specs and features.
I see there is something new,ExpressCard/54..well new to me..Like I said I dont keep up with latest new tech comings and goings..
Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
Yidneth

Thank you for your answers.
All the laptops I have seen in some stores here, only have USB ports. They don't come with the PCIexpress slot either. At least in the ones I saw at the local stores. I am searching on the Internet for some models with PCI express and I only have found some old models. They don't seem new. I'm not sure if it is a technology that is going to become obsolete as firewire did. I'm very sad that firewire is having these problems since the RME fireface card is still working perfectly and serving me well. It's never failed me. I was looking for a PC, not mac, because I know how to use PC better and I have really bad experiences with macs.
Thanks so much.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #11
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Suggesting a $35 solution vs. replacing an entire audio interface is half baked?
$35 + Mac. Recommending a 4 year old MacBook Pro to a gigging musician is actually pretty insulting. They should be buying new and under warranty if they can.

Look at how unreliable MacBook Pros are...

Here.

... and with your hand on your heart tell me it's a good idea for a gigging musician to cheap out on second hand, out of warranty hardware ever, let alone when they can get the roughly the same or greater power as your 4 year old MBP example for less money - even with a 3 year no questions warranty and insurance!

And if the OP was going to buy a 4 year old computer, why on earth wouldn't they just buy one with an actual firewire port in the first place and save the $35 and the markup on the 2nd hand Mac - which we have established is not as reliable as other brands in any case?

So the $35 is a red herring when you look at the total cost of the solution combined with risk/security.
Quote:
We're on thunderbolt 2 nowadays. Speed is 20Gbps.
This is irrelevant too, the needs of the OP are well under the bandwidth of USB 2, let alone USB 3. So a USB 2 interface with enough outputs will do, meaning that the whole Thunderbolt bandwidth thing is also a red herring.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
sveinpetter

I write this on a PC, Dell M3800, with Thunderbolt 2.
sveinpetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
cyrano

There's nothing new about ExpressCard/54. It's just ExpressCard/34's bigger and far less popular brother.

Just seeing those L-shaped cards makes most customers run and hide.

Thunderbolt and USB3 have about the same feel for speed when it comes to most simple consumer stuff. But that's all USB3 has to offer. TB still has three other lanes free for those who are crazy enough to attach 3 screens, video/audio interface and a number of harddisks simultaneously to this one connector.

The RME FF400 works perfectly with a TB-FW adapter and a FW800 to FW400 cable on my Mac. You'll need an external PSU for the interface, since TB only provides minimal power.

PC's with TB are slowly appearing:

- Acer's US$1,399 Aspire S5 ultrabook
- Lenovo's ThinkPad Edge S430 US$1,156
- Lenovo's ThinkPad W540 Mobile Workstation
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...540/#techspecs
- HP's Z420, Z620 and Z820 (desktop), ZBook 15 and 17 and SpectreXT TouchSmart 15t-4000
- ASUS G46VW, G750, G55VW-DH71 and G75VX-DS72
- Even purpose-built AV laptops like this DVC one: http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Thunderbolt-Laptop.html
- Even "gaming" motherboards: Asus G55VW, fi and gaming laptops:
http://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon17-slx/
- Sony VAIO Z (with a NON-STANDARD Sony plug, of course!)

And is there a native Windows Thunderbolt driver from Microsoft yet, or is everyone still relying on the Intel driver?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
ivansc

And I quote:

Reliable and affordable

$1300 odd for just the laptop without the Tbird interface is getting way out of my definition of "affordable"

For those sort of prices she could just buy a regular all USB laptop and add a RME Babyface or at a pinch a Babyface Pro and it would STILL be less money.

P.S. OP: the babyface is NOT cheap but it does work very reliably indeed and you can use it with just about any current model of windows based laptop.

And of course if you add an ADAT multipreamp, you can add another 8 channels with no problems. I do this with MY babyface when I am away from my studio machine, which also has a RME card (HDSP9652) running two 8 I/O ADAT interfaces effortlessly.

Might be an idea to give us an idea of what ytour budget can stretch to.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #15
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
This is irrelevant too, the needs of the OP are well under the bandwidth of USB 2, let alone USB 3. So a USB 2 interface with enough outputs will do, meaning that the whole Thunderbolt bandwidth thing is also a red herring.
You're missing the point entirely. It isn't a bandwidth issue at all. There are lots of things TB can do, that USB3 can't. For instance, networking is built-in, firewire and displayport are and all of this is daisy-chainable over one cable.

And USB is going that way too, with USB-C. One daisy-chainable cable for everything, even power.

Are Motu, Universal Audio and others supporting TB on Windows yet? Do TB devices still have to be cold started form Windows? I wonder what's taking Microsoft so long for a simple driver? Especially since Linux has had TB support since 2012, including hot-swapping.

And I wonder why so many of these TB equipped Windows laptops sold out so soon. Must be a lot of fools in that marketplace...
Old 06-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #16
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
You're missing the point entirely. It isn't a bandwidth issue at all. There are lots of things TB can do, that USB3 can't. For instance, networking is built-in, firewire and displayport are and all of this is daisy-chainable over one cable.
I'm not saying anything against Thunderbolt, so I can't be missing the point. We are talking about a specific problem where serr mentioned as part of his Mac sales pitch that Thunderbolt was faster. Which was and still is irrelevant to the OP.

But since you brought it up, whilst I agree that it's nice to have a flexible, high-bandwidth single port like Thunderbolt - you are over-egging the pudding a little bit. Is daisy-chaining everything a good idea? Yes and no, depending on form factor.

The benefits you cite are things that can be done already. Three displays, multiple hard disks - just not connected with the same cable/spec in the same way. For example I plug an ethernet cable and HDMI cable directly into the side of my laptop. Try doing that on a new MacBook Pro.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:16 AM   #17
cyrano

Quote:
I'm not saying anything against Thunderbolt, so I can't be missing the point. We are talking about a specific problem where serr mentioned as part of his Mac sales pitch that Thunderbolt was faster. Which was and still is irrelevant to the OP.
It's not irrelevant, because the OP owns an axpensive FF400 which needs Firewire. There are not many laptops left with FW, so TB is the only solution.

If you want to replace laptop AND interface and you want 8 channels of good AD, there is a completely different price picture. Let's say you buy a Steinberg/Yamaha MR 816 X, which sets you back 550$ or so, the Mac doesn't look as expensive at all.

Quote:
But since you brought it up, whilst I agree that it's nice to have a flexible, high-bandwidth single port like Thunderbolt - you are over-egging the pudding a little bit. Is daisy-chaining everything a good idea? Yes and no, depending on form factor.
So we agree more or less? I don't see what daisy chaining has to do with form factor.

You should really try to use 2 interfaces over USB together...

It's very easy with devices like RME and FW or TB. RME's interfaces are daisy-chainable by design. It's next to impossible with USB and most other devices. Flexibility means you can stretch the hardware you already have a bit. Which isn't a bad thing in a live environment. And it makers it a lot easier to add rental gear, if you rent an RME.

I know the computer doesn't really matter that much. But the OP expressed a desire to try out a Mac and he owns an RME. It's kind of hard working with anything else if you've been

Quote:
The benefits you cite are things that can be done already. Three displays, multiple hard disks - just not connected with the same cable/spec in the same way. For example I plug an ethernet cable and HDMI cable directly into the side of my laptop. Try doing that on a new MacBook Pro.
I'm a bit worried by the direction things are going with Apple. I don't think incorporating everything in one cord is the holy grail.

It's just two philosophies...

On one hand, the easy, but not so flexible Apple way, on the other hand the more complicated and diy way that offers far more possibilities, but doesn't always "just work". Both do work for live.

The Apple solution in this case, isn't that much more expensive if you take the FF400 into account. And if the OP doesn't like OSX, he still can run anything else on the MB Pro.

BTW. Have you had a look at Windows laptops with TB? They're not exactly cheap either. And they sell out in weeks. Is that because the manufacturer has produced just a tiny batch to test the waters? Or is it because lots of people want a laptop with TB?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:58 AM   #18
Lazarus

Err... "expressed a desire to try out a Mac"?!?!?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yidneth
I was looking for a PC, not mac, because I know how to use PC better and I have really bad experiences with macs.
Then you have this...
"You should really try to use 2 interfaces over USB together...

It's very easy with devices like RME and FW or TB. RME's interfaces are daisy-chainable by design. It's next to impossible with USB and most other devices. Flexibility means you can stretch the hardware you already have a bit. Which isn't a bad thing in a live environment. And it makers it a lot easier to add rental gear, if you rent an RME."
In the real world you can use multiple RME USB interfaces together on a USB hub... have a read at a manual if you like.

If you need to make stuff up to support your point then you don't have much of a point. Going for $550 for an interface when you can get a 10 out interface for $149 when even the 8 out Steinberg UR28M is $399 (or $114 and $364 once you've taken off the one (of many) Thunderbolt adapter(s)) is a bit silly too. "Good DA" is ubiquitous these days and we are not after all looking for that extra 0.4 - 5% for live audio applications.

As to carrying around a bag of adapters being less complicated than plugging something into a port, I'll defer to your experience on this matter. I also have no idea why hi-end PCs that happen to have TB adapters are selling out. My new laptop sells out quite a lot (it actually does) too so maybe it's the Mini DisplayPort it has (in addition to an HDMI - that's a $35 saving on an adapter right there )? It has to be something to do with Apple doesn't it?
Old 06-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #19
airon

There are the Scarlett interfaces that have an ADAT i/o.

That gives you the option of expanding things with a Behringer ADA 8200, which is a decenent and flexible unit. 8 mic/line in and 8 line out via ADAT.

There are some other good USB interfaces with ADAT of course. I use a Fireface UC(usb2) myself.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here with experience with less expensive USB interfaces.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #20
Yidneth

I get confused because here in Spain we work in Euros, so I always have to make the math. The fireface 400 I have is firewire and cost around 1000 Eur (over 1000 dollars) and works fine so I'd like to keep it. Some people recommended me a rather cheap usb native instrument soundcard (around 229 Eur) but I feel it's too good to be true for the price, and even if it would be enough for triggering backing tracks I'd fear the delay in midi.

I have found some pc laptops with thunderbolt, but in my local and usual online stores they're scarce, and generally linked to work-station and gaming models which really high price and way beyond what I need (over 1500 up to 2500 eur, the low end might be within consideration but I can´t invest on the high end anyway. I'm considering to save and get a good laptop like of these though finally and use it as a second working computer.
What I can´t afford is a super expensive laptop and then having to buy again a soundcard, or I should have to split expenses.
Now my doubt, expensive laptop with thunderbolt and reuse the fireface with an adaptor, or suitable less expensive laptop (i7 still but not so high end) with usb and more affordable usb card only for the gigs and venues.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #21
ivansc

About the only USB interface I would really really trust for live work is the one I have - RME Babyface.
Not the cheapest by a long shot but very very reliable and always excellent up-to-date drivers.
I have been using mine with an i5 2-core 2.5Ghz laptop with 8 gb memory which cost me very little and handles everything I can throw at it.
I use quite a few virtual instruments with MIDI tracks, so similar usage to you.

Mind you the laptop upgrade will probably cost less than a new babyface!

P.S. If you think euro and dollars is bad, I am in France at present so work in euros. Then back to the UK and GB pounds and of course my tiny pension comes from America in dollars.
So I feel your pain.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #22
mschnell

You don't say what the exact purpose is.

If "live" means that you want to record live events, this is only decently possible with multiple channels, so you should consider an 8 or 16 channel A/D. Depending on other equipment used (e.g. a Mixer) you might or might not need built in Microphone preamps and/or digital (e.g. ADAT) interfaces.

If you intend to use modern digital Mixer, you don't need an additional interface at all, as (e.g. a X32: I recently very happily used this on stage for the online mix and did an offline mix later with Reaper) provides 32 channels via USB to the Laptop.

There also are rather inexpensive analog mixers with two-channel USB interface for recording.

If you really just want to live record only two or four channels, IMHO it's easier to use a Field Recorder (e.g. a Zoom H4 or a H2: No laptop and no external Mics necessary - but possible, if you want) for recording and transfer the files to the Laptop at home.

But if "live" for you means that you want Reaper to be a live (virtual) Instrument or a live (virtual) effect box, you need an interface with only a few channels but excellent latency. Here I am very happy with the NI Audio 6.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 06-21-2015 at 12:47 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:39 AM   #23
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You don't say what the exact purpose is.

But if "live" for you means that you want Reaper to be a live (virtual) Instrument or a live (virtual) effect box, you need an interface with only a few channels but excellent latency. Here I am very happy with the NI Audio 6.

-Michael
Yes - first post makes it clear this is her required use.
And you may well be onto something with the N.I. suggestion - less money than the babyface and reputedly has reliable low latencyt drivers. I always tend to forget about it!

Priscilla: I worked for many years with this lady: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voices-Stars.../dp/B00MFVXW34 http://www.rowenaoftheglen.com/index.html and we also used MIDI instruments extensively live onstage in the USA. Musically slightly different to you but very much in the same spirit.
I`ll try and dig out an online version of one of our tracks.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:58 AM   #24
mschnell

If so, she might be interested in my unofficial LiveConfigs handbook at www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

-Michael
Old 06-21-2015, 03:12 AM   #25
ivansc

Shameless self-promotion! LOVE it!

Not that I would ever do such a thing.....

Last edited by ivansc; 06-22-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:49 AM   #26
mschnell

The work (in progress) has been acknowledged by the original author (the creator of the software).

Now I decently would like somebody to provide corrections and enhancement requests.

-Michael
Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 AM   #27
cyrano

Quote:
Err... "expressed a desire to try out a Mac"?!?!?....
Yes. Quite so. I was confusing two threads, sorry.

Quote:
Then you have this...
"You should really try to use 2 interfaces over USB together...

It's very easy with devices like RME and FW or TB. RME's interfaces are daisy-chainable by design. It's next to impossible with USB and most other devices. Flexibility means you can stretch the hardware you already have a bit. Which isn't a bad thing in a live environment. And it makers it a lot easier to add rental gear, if you rent an RME."
In the real world you can use multiple RME USB interfaces together on a USB hub... have a read at a manual if you like.
RME's, yes. Have you ever tried that with any other brand? Especially on Windows?

Quote:
If you need to make stuff up to support your point then you don't have much of a point. Going for $550 for an interface when you can get a 10 out interface for $149 when even the 8 out Steinberg UR28M is $399 (or $114 and $364 once you've taken off the one (of many) Thunderbolt adapter(s)) is a bit silly too. "Good DA" is ubiquitous these days and we are not after all looking for that extra 0.4 - 5% for live audio applications.
10 I/O for 149$? Where can I find that beast? Or are you counting "marketing" channels; as in 2 analog, one ADAT?

Besides, I was thinking inputs, not outputs. And that is wrong, as the OP has pointed out.

Quote:
As to carrying around a bag of adapters being less complicated than plugging something into a port, I'll defer to your experience on this matter. I also have no idea why hi-end PCs that happen to have TB adapters are selling out. My new laptop sells out quite a lot (it actually does) too so maybe it's the Mini DisplayPort it has (in addition to an HDMI - that's a $35 saving on an adapter right there )? It has to be something to do with Apple doesn't it?
Dunno. I used to understand the PC market and could foresee some products sky-rocketing and others failing silently. I'm just getting old and the market is getting weirder every day...
Old 06-21-2015, 05:24 AM   #28
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
You should really try to use 2 interfaces over USB together...
Sounds like a risky task.

1) Reaper only accepts a single ASIO interface, so the multiple boxes need to show up as a single ASIO device. No idea about Macs on that behalf.

2) If it's possible to attach to multiple A/D boxes over USB, they need to be synced via a word clock cable, as reaper needs to run on a single sample clock. I don't think the boxes will be able to sync via USB.

-Michael
Old 06-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #29
Lazarus

@cyrano: I can't remember what site I saw that on, but it was on sale. It wasn't a brand I recognise/remember but feel free to bargain hunt!

Here's a 10 (8 balanced analogue + SPDIF) out for $199 (if you shop around (it's USB too))...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCA610.aspx

... which is really only $164 after subtracting the TB adapter you don't have to buy. The Fireface 400 has 6 balanced outputs though (7/8 are unbalanced) so 10 apparently aren't even required.

Not that this is a recommendation, I'm just pointing out that prices don't start at $550.

Anyway, I sold my Fireface 400 and Powercore Firewire a few years ago because I saw that firewire was dying. Maybe that's a third/fourth option.

Re the multiple devices on USB - I don't know where you are going with this. Please tell me the advantage Thunderbolt has here.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #30
cyrano

Quote:
Sounds like a risky task...
But it's what I do quite often on OSX when I need more channels. It works without a hitch with about 90% of interfaces out there. Most noticeably not with Tascam, but I can 't recall any other that don't aggregate.

Quote:
Anyway, I sold my Fireface 400 and Powercore Firewire a few years ago because I saw that firewire was dying. Maybe that's a third/fourth option.
It's certainly an option. But I wouldn't want to compare a FF400 to a Behringer FCA610. The FF400 has 65 dB of very clean mic gain, the Behringer only 60 db on paper. In reality, it's worse because this is 60 dB overall system gain. The FF400 has 85 db overall system gain...

That's not to say you can't do great things with the Behringer. I've used one for about a year, but the FF400 was a big upgrade to me. And if you've sold yours years ago, you probably never experienced the excellent TotalMix and DigiCheck software from RME.

And now I'm gonna stop polluting this thread, as it should be about playback, not recording...
Old 06-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #31
Lazarus

I didn't have TotalMix with my old RME 9636, but did with the FF400. I preferred PatchMix on the Emu though - I wish they hadn't killed that - although I have never tried the new RME interfaces with built in FX.

Anyway I understand you are attempting to highlight an area of superiority for OSX with this aggregate device thing. You must not be aware that you can combine devices using Asio4All. It's not magic software written - as all magic software is - by Apple, but it works.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #32
mschnell

If you "aggregate" devices the driver infrastructure needs to do resampling to take care of sample clock frequency differences.

This will add some amount to the latency and might be rather bad for "live" usage.

-Michael
Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #33
Franç

This might help you choose.

http://www.recordingreview.com/sound...ard_wizard.php
Franç is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #34
Lazarus

@mschnell: Of course, I wasn't recommending it for the OP in any capacity - I was just pointing out that it wasn't a feature exclusive to OSX, contrary to what some Apple sales reps believe.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #35
novaburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yidneth View Post
Hello everyone,
The laptop that I was using for live events has died finally . When I power on, it shows half black and half white screen and I am afraid it is the video chipset that fried. We tried to fix it by doing something called reflow, adding heat directly to the chipset and it started working again, but only for one day. Certainly we cannot use this for live use anymore.

It was a musicxpc and it served me well, but now I have to face the fact that all new laptops I may buy to replace have not firewire connection anymore . I used a RME Fireface400 (firewire port) and now I don't know what laptop/usb audio interface I could get. I have the best opinion possible about RME, but they are quite expensive and I wonder If I could opt for a more affordable laptop/interface combo that would be reliable enough to trigger the backing tracks during a concert as well as some live vsts with enough stability. It would be good if it has various outputs to send the backing tracks, effects, and one VSTi separately to the stage mixing board. I will go on using my RME in my home studio, but I now lack a system I can use as portable studio or for venues.

I hope I dont make people angry here but i think this is quite a good deal

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-...-Interface/RUZ

You should check the vid to see how you get the full version of Pro tools 12 for free with this interface.

This is a great deal
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #36
mschnell

Does "reduced CPU load" means that it includes a DSP to run Effects and virtual instruments on ?

If so this high-end engine seems like a good deal, if you in fact are up to use the just these "plugins".

-Michael
Old 06-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #37
airon

I would advise to stick to a single interface and expand from that as needed with additional digital I/O via ADAT.

Laptops are limited in that they cannot carry PCIe cards, so an older RME interface with multiple ADAT ports is not an option.

That's the reason I suggested a USB interface with at least one ADAT I/O to attach external converters to. Extensible I/O, independent of driver issues. A damn shame about the Fireface 400.

Hope it works out for your needs.

Personally I'd get an X32 if money issues were minimal (compact version at the very least) to keep the laptop as a dumb track recorder, which is very safe with a USB3 SSD.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:07 AM   #38
ivansc

Quote:
The work (in progress) has been acknowledged by the original author (the creator of the software).

Now I decently would like somebody to provide corrections and enhancement requests.

-Michael
Auf englisch? oder deutsch?

I would be glad to help in English if it would be useful.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #39
jackiefender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yidneth View Post
Hello everyone,

There is a good laptop available with built-in TI firewire 400 interface. It can be found here :
http://www.adkproaudio.com/laptop3.asp

look for the model "8600 HW" on the right side. Might be a bit pricey for some, but it is a powerhouse and works great!
jackiefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #40
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Auf englisch? oder deutsch?

I would be glad to help in English if it would be useful.
The PDF is English (I would not bother to do a German version).

The Language there might be not really good, as the original was done by a French and I (German) did several corrections and enhancements and update to the recent version of the software.

But in fact I would very much like to have some proofreaders for technical correctness, completeness and usability.

Thanks a lot,
-Michael