Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
bluefonia
Human being with feelings

Default Custom colors on fx- and dock-windows ??

Iīve seen lots of different nice Reaper-themes including the default 3. Personally I especially like the Rado-theme. (I donīt have the skills to make themes myself besides what can be customized via the pref.-settings.)
No matter the default- or custom-themes one thing that strikes me is the background- and textcolor on the FX-window and the different dock-windows is allways white/black.
I think this clean white background is very hard on the eye when you come from the more gentle colorshades in the tracklist and mixer. (and neither does it look very elegant ;-)).

Just wondered, - is the reason for this that it is simply not possible to customize these parts?

Last edited by bluefonia; 10-28-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: missing word
bluefonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Those are "stock" Windows GUI elements, that's why they're so "plain". If you change your Windows theme, those colors can change.

But I do vote for not using Windows GUI elements AT ALL, instead making Reaper 100% skinnable!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
bluefonia

Quote:
Those are "stock" Windows GUI elements, that's why they're so "plain". If you change your Windows theme, those colors can change.
I donīt quite get it, - and maybe because I`m not using a pc but a mac?

EDIT:
Sorry, forgot this.
Quote:
But I do vote for not using Windows GUI elements AT ALL, instead making Reaper 100% skinnable!
Does this mean that at this moment the fx- and dockwindows can`t be customized, but you would like this to happen?

Last edited by bluefonia; 10-28-2010 at 10:39 AM.
bluefonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefonia View Post
I donīt quite get it, - and maybe because I`m not using a pc but a mac?
It's the same - Mac has different "stock" or "default" visual elements, Reaper just uses those.

Quote:
Does this mean that at this moment the fx- and dockwindows can`t be customized, but you would like this to happen?
Yes, that is correct. Well, you can sort of work around it by changing your OS theme, but that's not what everybody wants to do (I don't want to do it, for example, I'd rather have Reaper 100% skinnable.)
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
bluefonia

Quote:
It's the same - Mac has different "stock" or "default" visual elements
Okay, - now I get it.

Quote:
I'd rather have Reaper 100% skinnable.)
I`ll second that. Has this subject been addressed in other treads?
Otherwise it might be worth starting a debate in the feature-requests forum.

...and thanks by the way.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
arkima

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Quote:
I`ll second that. Has this subject been addressed in other treads?
Otherwise it might be worth starting a debate in the feature-requests forum.
YES!! I'll be down for that!

-a
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
bluefonia

Just opened a tread on the subject in the feature request forum: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...d=1#post608519
Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
droctopu5

So, two years later, and the FX window is not only not skinnable, but we still can't even adjust the background/foreground colors to something that isn't jarringly different than whatever beautiful theme we're using?

I find this weird. Or did I miss something? Can we alter the FX window somewhere?

Hey, I'm all about functionality over aesthetics, as far as Reaper team priorities go. But my eyeballs disagree.
droctopu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
nPHYN1T3

Default indeed

back in version 3 the FX window adhered to the theme colors but now it's stark white. I run a dark UI and Reaper FX windows do NOT adhere to the system theme either, they have become (possibly inadvertently) hard coded grey frame white background, black text, brutal on the eyes!
nPHYN1T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nPHYN1T3 View Post
back in version 3 the FX window adhered to the theme colors but now it's stark white. I run a dark UI and Reaper FX windows do NOT adhere to the system theme either, they have become (possibly inadvertently) hard coded grey frame white background, black text, brutal on the eyes!
That`s because now the background and foreground are not controlled by windows anymore.

They can be changed via reaper preferences under Theme Editor. When you edit it, don`t forget to save it
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
droctopu5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
That`s because now the background and foreground are not controlled by windows anymore.

They can be changed via reaper preferences under Theme Editor. When you edit it, don`t forget to save it
The I/O window has 3 color options, but the FX window does not, where FX chains are. Some of us spend a lot of time with this window open.

If you're referring to the settings for "Window list..." in the Theme Editor, those don't seem to have any affect on the FX window at all, and it is definitely the Windows them.

I've tried this in both XP and W7. Have you done this yourself? Am I missing something else in the Theme Editor?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by droctopu5 View Post
The I/O window has 3 color options, but the FX window does not, where FX chains are. Some of us spend a lot of time with this window open.

If you're referring to the settings for "Window list..." in the Theme Editor, those don't seem to have any affect on the FX window at all, and it is definitely the Windows them.

I've tried this in both XP and W7. Have you done this yourself? Am I missing something else in the Theme Editor?
That is correct, FX chains don`t have any custom colors yet, only FX browser. FX chain colors are still governed by windows.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
droctopu5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
That is correct, FX chains don`t have any custom colors yet, only FX browser. FX chain colors are still governed by windows.
Ah okay. Well, I don't think many people spend much time with the I/O and FX browser windows open, so not sure why those got some love and the FX chain window gets none.

Maybe there's a technical issue with embedding plugin UIs into a customizable window that has them hung up on it, and they have to stick with the native version or it goes haywire?

That would be a damn shame, because it needs love badly, and I almost always have one open, monkeying with soft synths or a sampler.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #14
faun2500

Can we change the windows colours IN reaper yet? Mine are still white and I can change windows theme to my satisfaction.

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #15
occultron

Can anyone say whether the FX Chain window still isn't editable? Such an ugly window in the middle of otherwise very themed look.
occultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #16
estsunrecords

and what about small views of plugins in fx? like in studio One??
estsunrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
occultron

It's kind of amazing this still hasn't been fixed, it's a very essential window.
occultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:39 AM   #18
Roger Vanduffel

My main problem is that when I have two tracks with the same fx on them I'm regularly changing parameters on the wrong track.
Often, when I have a track's fx-window open, I click on the 'show track fx window' of another track, start adjusting parameters and nothing's happening, because the fx-window of the previous track was still on the forground. So I've been tampering with the wrong track.

So if there's not a way to customise these windows, is there another way to make them a bit less prone for mistakes? Any tips?

(Yeah, I know "always check it's title bar")
Roger Vanduffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
Kr3eM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Vanduffel View Post
So if there's not a way to customise these windows, is there another way to make them a bit less prone for mistakes? Any tips?

(Yeah, I know "always check it's title bar")

Preferences\Plugins
enable "Only allow one FX-chain window open at a time"

could perhaps reduce the amount of mistakes...
Kr3eM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #20
Roger Vanduffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3eM View Post
Preferences\Plugins
enable "Only allow one FX-chain window open at a time"

could perhaps reduce the amount of mistakes...
Good tip!
Wondering when I need more than one fx-chain opened...
I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Roger Vanduffel is offline   Reply With Quote