Old 12-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
SRR
Human being with feelings

Default Is this something I can do in reaper?

So my wife is a vocalist, (and a beginner at guitar). Anyways, we recorded a song the other day where the words come fast, and she needs to carry one word for a long time, longer then her breath support allows. Can I stretch that note/word out in length of time, while keeping the same pitch? This may be something you guys do on a regular basis so sorry if this question is either stupid or to much of a newbie like question the answer is sitting in front of me and I don't see it. Step by step instructions, if its possible.
SRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
politcat

ha! talk about doctoring in the studio.

in the wave isolate the vowel sound that is being held and stretch that bit only. then glue. if it's a diphthong or more stretching will be extremely difficult (isolating more bits) or won't work at all.

imo, you're better off doing breathing exercises to extend your ability. it doesn't take long to improve once you know how to conserve.
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 AM   #3
TerryW

You need Melodyne for this job, also great for correcting pitch.
TerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
SRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh View Post
Reaper does have time stretch - you'd have to split off the word and do it by itself using alt+drag the edge. Which would stretch the whole word, which is probably not what you want unless the word has only one sound. If you just want to extend the one sound a bit then stretching will be fine, but you may want to consider selecting the bit you want extended, right clicking on it and using copy selected area of selected items. Then you can crossfade over multiple copies of that bit - fiddling until it sounds smooth, then glue those bits together
Thank you, that is what I wanted, the final sec or two sounds a little unnatural, but a little volume automation/envelope fade and it is what I wanted to hear. She has been working on her breath support and its getting better, but she wanted an extra 5secs of holding this one out that she just couldn't do, cheating like this is so much fun. Can't wait till she gets home to hear this, hay she may not like it and we leave well enough alone...

Thanks to all that responded.
SRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
Vertigo50

Another way to do this would be to split out a section that has just the vowel sound and copy it, moving the end of the word to the right. You can crossfade all these pieces together, and they should sound fairly natural, as long as you cut out a good section.
Vertigo50 is offline   Reply With Quote