Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
0=0
Human being with feelings

Default multiple Midi Take handling in Midi Editor.

Hey All,

So i've been aggressively getting back into doing midi stuff again.. For making song sketches and rolling with ideas. and i'm trying to stay in Reaper for this purpose (because i use it for all my audio) and i have a question about some functionality regarding the takes.

So a lot of growth has happened with the midi editor which I realyl enjoy.. the system for showing tracks is getting a lot better (especially if you only want to work with one editor window.

My prefered way for sketching out ideas is to create a lot of Takes and switch between them while the song is looping until i'm ready to start arranging. Ive' made some nice toolbars for duplicating takes etc in the TCP.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to show multiple takes within a track (or the entire take hierarchy itself) through the Media Lane View or Track List in the Midi Editor?

There is a behavior i'm looking to get and it's not available as a default thing. I can edit some stuff around but it's not ideal..so I'm curious about people's thoughts (and if anyone has work arounds etc).

Say I have a midi take...I duplicate it..and start editing the new duplicated take. In order to switch between the two for playback i would have to choose the active take by single clicking on it. The Midi Editor doesn't update unless i double click the take i want to edit. I can change the mouse behavior to do that. What i'm after is to do all this within the Midi Editor..it seems liek the mose efficient way to do that if you want to only focus on jamming with midi notes.

So my question is..am I missing something? Should i make a feature request to include an option for a Track's Take hierarchy in the in the Media Lane or the Track List of a Midi Editor? is there one already? What do you think?

j

0=0
0=0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #2
xpander

After initial recordings, I usually explode takes into separate tracks and then edit each per needs.

For the single track/several takes work in MIDI editor, I've done following. In MIDI editor I've assigned a shortcut key to Misc: Pass through key to main window. In the main arrange (window) I have that same shortcut key assigned to one of the actions switching between takes. (Take: Switch items to previous take, SHIFT + T in my case.) All this because there seems to be no actions in MIDI editor to switch between takes. FR?

Back in the MIDI editor, I switch on the Media Item Selector (Media Lane?). I select the item with takes by clicking the bar representing that item. Now here's the tricky part. What I see in MIDI editor is the currently active take. By hitting the shortcut assigned earlier, I get the take to switch BUT the MIDI editor doesn't update the view. But I can see on Media Item Selector that the item bar has changed the color and status. So I click the item bar in Selector and voilà, MIDI editor view updates also!

Basically it should be possible to switch and activate takes also with custom actions, so there would be no need to use the Media Item Selector for that. But the few macros that I tried didn't work reliably and since there is another, bigger caveat in this for me, I left it at that. The bad part is, you can't see the other takes on the background for the reference like you could the other MIDI items. If there is a secret option switch for that, I don't know, nor have I followed if there are FRs considering this issue.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
0=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
I get the take to switch BUT the MIDI editor doesn't update the view. But I can see on Media Item Selector that the item bar has changed the color and status. So I click the item bar in Selector and voilà, MIDI editor view updates also! .
Shortly after i started this thread..i figured this out too. I would definitely prefer the option to have the functionality of the midi editor automatically updating when the Active Take is changed. (this could definitely be an action or an option or both?)

thanks for your reply! it helps describe this issue perfectly. I'm glad I'm not alone.

j

0=0
Old 01-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
0=0

I used to use Orion for making demos/sketches. I'm sooooo fast with it. My favourite functionality was that every instrument (plugins etc) had a sequencer attached that had 8 banks (A-H) of 8 sequencer "pages" (1-8) (64 in total). Each page could be it's own length in steps etc.

It would be nice to be able to make a custom Toolbar that would allow you to choose which Take you are on for the track. I know there are Actions in reaper to select specific takes (ie: Take: Set 2nd take active)

failing making a toolbar yourself..if you could just access that in the Media Lane (like it could expand with a representation of the Takes.) or the Track List (which expands to one thing..but i'm not sure what that's even about).

I don't see Reaper implementing a clip based solution to production anytime soon (would be amazing if it went that way) but this would be something that would definitely push the cause forward..atleast for midi stuffs.

j

0=0
Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0=0 View Post
I would definitely prefer the option to have the functionality of the midi editor automatically updating when the Active Take is changed. (this could definitely be an action or an option or both?)
This can, i think, be done with some custom actions... or at least it used to be before some changes. I haven't used MIDI in a while, so I'm not sure what options will need to be set.

For this to work, you need the ME selection and the arrange selection to be mirrored.

basically you need to set a key to "passthough" in the MIDI editor action list. Set that key to (select next take + open MIDI in Editor) in the Main action list and, as long as what you are working on in the ME is the only thing selected in the arrange, and you have your ME option set for this, the editor will clear and you have the new take now editable in the ME.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote