Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #81
MartensEleven
Human being with feelings

+1

this has to be optional folks, because if not, you wouldn't be able to just get a track one side only
MartensEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #82
mahasandi

+1 i'am tired of splitting stereo tracks to mono render them back to stereo etc.
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:40 AM   #83
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartensEleven View Post
+1

this has to be optional folks, because if not, you wouldn't be able to just get a track one side only
You're right.

For the god's sake of usability it would be great to have not only dual panners but dual volumes for each channel as well.

Lately I find myself recording more and more stereo tracks from mono sources.
I mean, using two mics and a stereo mic technique to record an instrument.

With the cold, focused and "track unlimited" digital world I think recording all the non-in-your-face instruments with two mics really help you to create a wider and more balanced stereo image in the mix (if you are very careful to position the mics so you don't get any phase issues).
You can make something as big (and unfocused) as you need, or as little, you can put it anywhere in the stereo image, whatever. Even if the source is mono I can't resist adding a HASS effect or something, so it fits better in the mix.

In the end most of my individual instruments are stereo, with a limited width and paned somewhere between the middle and the sides. In Cubase the dual panners are a blessing for this kind of mixes. In Reaper it is still a bit of a pain.
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #84
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post
+1 i'am tired of splitting stereo tracks to mono render them back to stereo etc.
You should try using a plugin like Chanmix2 (JS) or S1 (Waves).
Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #85
MPM

+1 optionally yes.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #86
myreligionisnoise

+1 again please! :P
myreligionisnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #87
hearteh

strange that reaper doesnt have this, its a must have for me
hearteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #88
AkeW

Wouldn't all these 'integrated' or 'plugin' arguments be moot if Reaper had a way for JS-plugins to place a 'micro GUI' in the main reaper gui instead of just having a VST-like gui?

So the JS-plugins parameters could be placed near the 'integrated' pan controls.

EDIT: Let the user add plugin/vst-controls for certain parameters (all kinds of automation i guess) in the track mixer thingie.
AkeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #89
semiquaver

in beta 3 you can put parameters in the tcp..... not very space efficient but handy. they can also be mapped to midi cc's...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #90
airon

That is already present in the v3 betas. Check out the envelope page of a track for that.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #91
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkeW View Post
Wouldn't all these 'integrated' or 'plugin' arguments be moot if Reaper had a way for JS-plugins to place a 'micro GUI' in the main reaper gui instead of just having a VST-like gui?

So the JS-plugins parameters could be placed near the 'integrated' pan controls.

EDIT: Let the user add plugin/vst-controls for certain parameters (all kinds of automation i guess) in the track mixer thingie.
nope.

as nifty as assigning the parameter knobs is, it cannot compare with the convenience of this:
and this:

You see, the above would allow one, at a glance, to see exactly what is happening with the panning of a track, even if the tcp was as small as it goes. Whereas the knobs disappear when the TCP is small. Also, if you have more than one knob mapped, then you must slow down again:
1. slow down to see if you panner reflects the pan or not... then
2. slow down again to pick the correct mapped knob from those currently mapped and displaying on the tcp.
3. slow down again to re-size the TCP to accommodate 2 if lots of knobs are mapped.
4. speed back up and resurrect your work-flow.

see here... this could be extended to MCP and TCP: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=18
greetings
.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #92
airon

Yeah, that kind of panner setup and control would be nice.

Setup via control surfaces would be .... interesting I guess, since you can't touch and move a dual pan control without such a surface at the same time.

Default assignments of control surface resources to specific automatable GUI controls is not yet a given. I can't for example, fire of an action that switches what my Mackie Universal Control does with its faders and knobs.

Of course mouse people won't mind. Surround people will mind a great deal. Those guys use two motorized joysticks for such deals. At some point a flexible control source management is a necessity.

Perhaps we can learn from Studio One in this regard. Their ideas sound good in the videos they posted.

Imagine controlling your dual pan with a dual-analog joystick on the track you've selected. Is that possible yet ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #93
Evan

The Cubase panner in Talli's image is 100% there. Small, very clear, and 3 (?) different selectable panning modes in that short space.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #94
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
I Like At-A-Glance visual feedback, and I don't get that with channel mix, like I do with: and,
Please...dual pans in the channel strip for REAPER 3...I'm begging.

+1 billion!

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #95
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Please...dual pans in the channel strip for REAPER 3...I'm begging.

+1 billion!

Shane
Yeah, something which should be there since day 1.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #96
Spyrow

Ok, this is what we got with v3 and I really appreciate it.

But as the mixer panner is still useless in stereo channels and this consumes lots of space I think it would be much better to have an integrated dual panner mode.

I think we will have it one day or another.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #97
DreamChaos

We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning, We Want Dual Panning..........

Please can we have dual panning now in version 3? This is a necessity.
We are begging.
DreamChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #98
Shan

Bump

...to see this in REAPER 3.01.

Shane

Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #99
labyrinth

Seems so easy...right... (should be=> right-click on the pan and you could choose dual pans or single pan.)
Old 05-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #100
semiquaver

.... or quad...
Old 05-26-2009, 02:59 AM   #101
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
Seems so easy...right... (should be=> right-click on the pan and you could choose dual pans or single pan.)
...and right click on a meter and select stereo or mono.

Shane

Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #102
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
...and right click on a meter and select stereo or mono.

Shane
Good luck with that one, because that will make the tracks not universal as they are now.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #103
semiquaver

but multi-cahnnel meters on the other hand would be welcome now that we have multichannel tracks...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #104
battla

anyone notice this thread has gone on for over a year with almost universal agreement on the value of this feature and countless thoughtful explanations of why it is needed as well as examples of how it could be well implemented?

anyone notice that this occured during a major version update process which would seem the perfect opportunity to include this type of sorely needed update?

anyone notice that not once during the almost year and a half since the op and three pages of +1s did any of the devs deign to acknowledge their loyal user base's FR? or even to quickly mention that it's on hold because there's some reason why it wouldn't be as easy as it looks to implement?

anyone notice that this forum is a graveyard of dead threads and former users that follow this exact pattern of enthusiastic attempts to contribute that are utterly ignored until they give up and go away? or that this is just one of dozens of things like this that obviously should have been fixed a long time ago?

look folks, almost any other small software developer out there would kill to have the kind of enthusiasm and feedback for their product that cockos gets every day on this forum. and yet they seem to completely take it for granted. i'm not saying jcs should comment on every individual fr that comes up on the forum. but after a huge group of long time users, many of whom have made important contributions to cockos' success through beta testing, word-of-mouth advertising, the creation of documentation, skins, etc. have been politely requesting (with very good reasons) a basic FR for almost a year and a half, with no response whatsoever from management, well that's a slap in the face of your most loyal customers and the height of arrogant condescension.

a bunch of you will immediately rally to the defense of jcs, and their frequent updates, pointing out that larger software developers are completely unresponsive to user input whereas cockos has included all kinds of things suggested by users.

of course they have because people have been pointing out the things reaper still needed to become a legitimate alternative to the daws they were familiar with while jcs were busy adding those things anyway. i think this gave a lot of the user base the warm fuzzy illusion that cockos was LISTENING to them and when their feature request got added or bug report fixed they believed it was BECAUSE of their input. this seems to have worked well thus far with all the little reaperites chattering away happily on the forum, feeling as if they're part of something and developing a mild psychosis involving fanatical devotion to reaper (their daw that they helped with and knew about before anyone else) and an evangelistic zeal for which they have gained some notoriety at kvr and elsewhere.

comparing JCS development style and responsiveness to user feedback to companies like steinberg and digi is ridiculous to begin with. but comparing it to the that of other small software developers like rayzoon (jamstix) and sensomusic (usine) is very reasonable, and guess what? it sucks.

can anyone who uses jamstix imagine a feature request or bug that everyone agrees is important and needs attention being ignored for over a year? or even for a week for that matter? the developers of podium, usine, bidule, jamstix, synesthesia, energy xt2, audiomulch, ardour, etc. all seem to understand that if lots of people who claim to otherwise love your application tell you over and over and over again for years that something about it needs to be changed, you should listen to them.

naturally much of the basic stuff that people credit cockos for being so responsive about has been added over time and reaper is now approaching maturity as a stable, full-featured daw with a few GLARING problems that still have to be addressed before it can really go toe-to-toe with pt, dp, sampquoia, cubendo, logic, etc. but some of those problems have been glaring for two years plus now so it's anybody's guess when or even if they'll ever get fixed. let's hear it for an intelligible routing diagram before reaper v9.0!

i've felt for a while now that reaper's meandering, haphazard development really just boils down to whatever happens to interest JCS or be useful to them personally at the time. that's their perogative, but if the boys at cockos are determined to keep reaper locked down as their little personal science project then we really should stop wasting all our ideas and efforts on them and try to throw some of that creative energy and support behind some of the other innovative developers out there who might actually have a use for it.
battla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #105
CoffeeMilkshake

+1 on dual panning!!!!!

Oh, and can I interest you gentlemen in this as well?

vote here if you will:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=36440

I think this combo would give more visually clean results.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #106
DreamChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by battla View Post
anyone notice this thread has gone on for over a year with almost universal agreement on the value of this feature and countless thoughtful explanations of why it is needed as well as examples of how it could be well implemented?

anyone notice that this occured during a major version update process which would seem the perfect opportunity to include this type of sorely needed update?

anyone notice that not once during the almost year and a half since the op and three pages of +1s did any of the devs deign to acknowledge their loyal user base's FR? or even to quickly mention that it's on hold because there's some reason why it wouldn't be as easy as it looks to implement?

anyone notice that this forum is a graveyard of dead threads and former users that follow this exact pattern of enthusiastic attempts to contribute that are utterly ignored until they give up and go away? or that this is just one of dozens of things like this that obviously should have been fixed a long time ago?

look folks, almost any other small software developer out there would kill to have the kind of enthusiasm and feedback for their product that cockos gets every day on this forum. and yet they seem to completely take it for granted. i'm not saying jcs should comment on every individual fr that comes up on the forum. but after a huge group of long time users, many of whom have made important contributions to cockos' success through beta testing, word-of-mouth advertising, the creation of documentation, skins, etc. have been politely requesting (with very good reasons) a basic FR for almost a year and a half, with no response whatsoever from management, well that's a slap in the face of your most loyal customers and the height of arrogant condescension.

a bunch of you will immediately rally to the defense of jcs, and their frequent updates, pointing out that larger software developers are completely unresponsive to user input whereas cockos has included all kinds of things suggested by users.

of course they have because people have been pointing out the things reaper still needed to become a legitimate alternative to the daws they were familiar with while jcs were busy adding those things anyway. i think this gave a lot of the user base the warm fuzzy illusion that cockos was LISTENING to them and when their feature request got added or bug report fixed they believed it was BECAUSE of their input. this seems to have worked well thus far with all the little reaperites chattering away happily on the forum, feeling as if they're part of something and developing a mild psychosis involving fanatical devotion to reaper (their daw that they helped with and knew about before anyone else) and an evangelistic zeal for which they have gained some notoriety at kvr and elsewhere.

comparing JCS development style and responsiveness to user feedback to companies like steinberg and digi is ridiculous to begin with. but comparing it to the that of other small software developers like rayzoon (jamstix) and sensomusic (usine) is very reasonable, and guess what? it sucks.

can anyone who uses jamstix imagine a feature request or bug that everyone agrees is important and needs attention being ignored for over a year? or even for a week for that matter? the developers of podium, usine, bidule, jamstix, synesthesia, energy xt2, audiomulch, ardour, etc. all seem to understand that if lots of people who claim to otherwise love your application tell you over and over and over again for years that something about it needs to be changed, you should listen to them.

naturally much of the basic stuff that people credit cockos for being so responsive about has been added over time and reaper is now approaching maturity as a stable, full-featured daw with a few GLARING problems that still have to be addressed before it can really go toe-to-toe with pt, dp, sampquoia, cubendo, logic, etc. but some of those problems have been glaring for two years plus now so it's anybody's guess when or even if they'll ever get fixed. let's hear it for an intelligible routing diagram before reaper v9.0!

i've felt for a while now that reaper's meandering, haphazard development really just boils down to whatever happens to interest JCS or be useful to them personally at the time. that's their perogative, but if the boys at cockos are determined to keep reaper locked down as their little personal science project then we really should stop wasting all our ideas and efforts on them and try to throw some of that creative energy and support behind some of the other innovative developers out there who might actually have a use for it.
Wow, so now can we have dual panning? I sense that Battla really would like
dual panning, being light on words and all.
Here is a short time solution until that time called "Stereo Panner" from Kelly industries, its a free plugin, and has other functions as well.
http://www.kellyindustries.com/stereo_tools.html
DreamChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #107
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoody View Post
Great discussion yet again. Somehow I totally missed Chanmix2 until I read this thread, very useful tool.
This is one of the reasons that I can not get into Reaper half the time...there are SO many plugins floating around that have names that only geek's can understand (sorry!).

Has ANYONE made a list of the plugins with USEFUL descriptions as to WHAT they do?! ReaMix turned me on to a lot of them, and running across threads hap-hazard has helped also (by the way, +111 for the panners!), but it would be SO nice if we had a list that spelled out what each JS / cockos plugin did in English.

Sorry for the derail, but I am just curious....

Plus I have to agree with what battla has said about problems / features that should have been implemented in the V3 release, it seems some of these have been around a long time....
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #108
beatsbyforce

+1 for CUbase style panning options.
beatsbyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #109
Shan

Did I bump this FR? ...oh....sorry.

Shane

Old 06-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #110
ChetStrzepa

+1

for dual panning and volume control of each side!
ChetStrzepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #111
hearteh

this is something you need all the time when mixing..
hearteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #112
fab

makes a lot of sense.
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #113
DaveG

All these examples of the so called power pan seem very fiddly I prefer to use a plugin when trying to nail down a stereo image ( Flux StereoTool ).
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #114
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Flux StereoTool
Not a wise decision: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=33284
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #115
semiquaver

has anyone tested (Flux:: ) recently? I know there have been changes to Reaper's behavior with plugs at loop points...
Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #116
DaveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Interesting never noticed, will look into it.

Another + for plugin route is that you can have it pre, post or mid an effect chain.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #117
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
has anyone tested (Flux:: ) recently? I know there have been changes to Reaper's behavior with plugs at loop points...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=39747
Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #118
Janoosh

+1 for power panning
Maybe in v.3.2 :-)
Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #119
sangmoklee

++1 Power Panning!
sangmoklee is offline   Reply With Quote