Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
-R-
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper doesn't remember my preferences

First time it happens in more than 3 years, and I think I don't like it at all...
Whenever I change something in my preferences, click apply and ok, Reaper will only remember my preferences until I exit the software. Next time I launch it, all my changes are gone.

It happens with both Reaper 4.78 and 4.75. I'm on windows 8.1.

I tried to import my configuration and import it, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the soft, no luck.

Is there a better way to clean my install?
Any other ideas or experience?

Thanks a lot!

Eric
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
lachrimae

First off I'd suggest running in Admin mode if you aren't already (Right click the reaper.exe -> properties -> Compatibility -> Run as Admin).

I moved to a portable install due to various rights issues with 8.1 and doubt I'll ever go back.

The only downside of portable as far as I know is that .rpp files will still be associated with your non-portable install executable so if you want to open an existing project you have to drag/drop it into your portable Reaper window, or open it through the File menu.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
whiteaxxxe
Banned

there is no need for that.

you can right-click the .rpp and choose "open with". in the then appearing box you choose your Reaper.exe and tick the box "always open with this program".

I did it this way and it works.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
-R-

Thank you.
Changing the properties of the .exe like you said doesn't seem to help.
I'll think about the portable install. Did you notice changes in performances or a slower startup?
Old 05-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
lachrimae

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
I did it this way and it works.
It only works if you already have your portable Reaper window open. Try it with all Reaper windows closed and see which exe is used when you double click an .rpp, despite having associated the portable exe. Perhaps you have a magical system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R- View Post
Thank you.
Changing the properties of the .exe like you said doesn't seem to help.
I'll think about the portable install. Did you notice changes in performances or a slower startup?
No difference at all, and much nicer to have everything in one folder...
Old 05-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
First time it happens in more than 3 years, and I think I don't like it at all...
Whenever I change something in my preferences, click apply and ok, Reaper will only remember my preferences until I exit the software. Next time I launch it, all my changes are gone.

I tried to import my configuration and import it, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the soft, no luck.

Thanks a lot!

Eric
Drop everything don't look back and run as fast as you can from Windows 8.1
That my opinion of win 8.1 Have windows tablet that just sits here reminding me not at ever look at another computer with Win 8.1
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 AM   #7
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:

Thanks a lot!

Eric
If you want to do a clean install, you need to delete the items in the apps folder, which by default is hidden. It can be made visible.
I installed reaper on my winbook 10.1 tablet which runs windows 8.1, I have no problems with it saving my settings. I do not use the so called win 8 start menu I run everything from the desktop. You can make win 8.1 boot to the desktop rather than that horrible start menu.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
-R-

Thank you for the answers

Sickamorz, do you mean the C:\Users\X\AppData\Roaming\REAPER?

Is "export configuration" in reaper enough backing-up so that everything is still the same afterwards?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
lachrimae

I'd suggest installing a portable install to a Documents/ReaperPortable folder or where ever you prefer and test it yourself by importing your main Reaper install preferences to your portable. This is the best way to know exactly what you can expect, and once you're done you can delete your portable folder if you don't want it.
From memory, I seem to recall that everything exported properly except maybe a few items such as some osc config files (not positive on that though).
Old 05-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
-R-

HI Lachrimae,

I just did it, and here is what happend:

A fresh portable install allows me to change my preferences and keep the changes (wow!), but after having imported my configuration back, the problem comes back too.

I'll do more testing tmorrow, but if anyone has an idea, it's more than welcome!
Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
lachrimae

Hmm, very strange...

Go to Options -> Show REAPER Resource Path
Right click Reaper.ini, choose Properties and make sure it isn't Read Only, and is allowing security permissions for system/user/trustedinstaller

Were there any issues there?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
plamuk

this is why i run as local administrator. though not advised for non-it professionals / the cautious, i never have any permissions issues.

windows 8.1 is a great OS once you've snipped out all the metro shit / app store etc. i prefer it to 7 by now.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
It only works if you already have your portable Reaper window open. Try it with all Reaper windows closed and see which exe is used when you double click an .rpp, despite having associated the portable exe. Perhaps you have a magical system.

No difference at all, and much nicer to have everything in one folder...
has nothing to do with Reaper closed or not. you change the file association within Windows. with changing the properties you will achieve nothing.

by the way: I have only one portable Reaper install. thats what makes my system magical.
whiteaxxxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
-R-

So I tried everything that has been said about read-only, to no avail.
Among the different configuration items that you can import, only the actual"configuration" seems to cause the problem. Since it just seems to contains the preferences, I'll just reset them from scratch. The file seems corrupted and there's no way around it.

Anyway, I must thank you for the precious time you gave me.
Thank you!

Edit : I forgot to mention that went to a portable install.

Last edited by -R-; 05-29-2015 at 12:45 PM.