Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 AM   #321
TonE
Human being with feelings

You could try one ReaLearn per project and see if it helps. Ideally ReaLearn should behave as the internal midi/osc mappings in Reaper, so if they cause no problems during track copying also ReaLearn should not. Meaning if possible ReaLearn should behave passively during it operation, only if you change values inside ReaLearn, ReaLearn should do some modifications to your project data, then just after it change back to 'idle mode', until you change again something inside ReaLearn. So ReaLearn would be only an 'interface' or graphical helper to change certain mapping data in your project. The question is how this is possible or not with current ReaLearn and Reaper internal implementations. ReaLearn's manual could tell something about this or the source could be available.

If above is not possible yet, then ReaLearn could be splitted into two parts:
-features which can work in passive mode (A)
-features which need permanent checkings (B)

And (B) could be an option, so you could switch it off, and see how far you get with only (A).
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:44 AM   #322
madskjeldgaard

Hello !

I have a question regarding ReaLearn which I recently started using.

I've done like the docs suggest and made a toolbar icon that I can click to activate the ReaLearn action and it works nicely. But when assigning the action to a keyboard shortcut, it only works, if I first select the track that has the fx on it that I'm mapping. Is there a workaround for this?
madskjeldgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #323
parkerfly5150

Hello... I'm struggling with something that might be very easy but can't seem to figure it out. I have an X-Touch Mini controller where I'd like to have a row of buttons each select a different mapping for a single rotary knob.

I've tried adding multiple tracks, each with their own instance of ReaLearn with separate mappings for the knobs and then selectively arming them but it seems like all of the mappings work whether the track is armed or not.

I'm not a midi guru but would love to get this working. I'd appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks!

UPDATE: I kept trying and trying and finally figured out that using the "Track FX preset" type and configuring different presets on a separate track/instance did the trick. I was originally using "Track FX parameter" and trying to bypass ReaLearn but it still worked in bypass. Using "Track FX enable" did function as expected but using presets seemed more efficient for what I needed.

Now I'm trying to get the button lights to work in a group. Where pressing one button will turn off the others. No luck yet but there's hope. Thanks for such a powerful tool!

Last edited by parkerfly5150; 03-26-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: More information
parkerfly5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #324
Zerododo

hi!

using my controller with realearn i'm facing a problem:

let's say i've mapped my fader1 to send volume knob1 of selected track. i set the value to 0db.
then i select track2, in order to set the value of send volume knob1, but as soon as i touch/move the fader, the send value in reaper jump to 0db (the last value setted in previous track)
the logical value reach the fisical value immediatly.

this is a problem every time i change the track selection.

is there a way to freeze the logical value until it is reached by the fader? should be great with no motorized fader controllers...

example: This mode is called Pickup in Ableton Live, see attached the manual...
Attached Images
File Type: png Schermata 2019-04-01 alle 22.01.30.png (36.0 KB, 394 views)
Zerododo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #325
themixtape

Just downloaded this and getting the hang (not really) haha.

Is there any way to use ReaLearn to use an endless encoder (such as on an Arturia Keylab MK2, which can be set to Absolute, Relative 1, Relative 2, or Relative 3), to browse synth presets, inside Reaper?

Such as with TAL UNO LX2? (not the standard Reaper preset up/down, as it has its own internal preset browser)?

Any help is greatly appreciated. It seems criminal that one cannot use a midi encoder to browse presets (up/down or previous/next) by using an encoder. Yes, I can use two midi-assignable buttons for "Trigger Next Preset for FX on selected track" (SWS extension action), and vice-versa... but I just hate the loud click of buttons while I'm trying to find a sound. I'd rather just turn a knob/encoder, like on Maschine, or any oldschool synth's jogwheel!

Please please please let me know, if anything is possible with ReaLearn... or ANY other way? Thanks!
Old 04-03-2019, 05:05 AM   #326
Scottishcammy

Default Shortcut Key for “Learn Target”

Hi Apologies if I’m beinm a newbiew about this.

But is it possible to assign a shortkey key to “Learn Target”?

So I can trigger with my left hand while clicking the target with my mouse.

For use in Slate VMR where I want to use one rotary for all mods.

It would be faster workflow than using the mouse to click Learn every time.

Many thanks
Scottishcammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:33 PM   #327
themixtape

Please forgive my ignorance but is it possible (using ReaLearn) to have an older-type encoder (Akai MPD32) send Relative CC information instead of Absolute? Trying to figure out a simple way to map one of these encoders to two different CC messages... jog left/right (by one measure) or select previous/next track.

This is entirely possible using other controllers (Arturia's, for instance), but I would love to be able to map this Akai to Reaper stuff, using ReaLearn SOMEhow. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #328
LowlyOP

I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that this must be done outside of ReaLearn, BUT, may be possible actually loading up the MIDI JS plugins native to reaper that correspond with the conversion you are attempting.

TRACK FX:
1. MIDI-convert-to___-JS (You'll need to look for and test some)
2. Realearn

Otherwise, your best bet would be something like Bome's Midi Translator Pro or Plogue Bidule, both offering a lot in terms of Midi maniplulations and routing via virtual cables. Bidule is the overall best in terms of how much you can do for the cost (it's a standalone DAW/ VST Host with a modular environment / plugin bridge / midi mapper and more, but the learning curve is quite steep if your at all new to this type of routing envirnment.

You can do things natively in Reaper using some creative combinations of JS MIDI converters, such as manipulating midi conversion on the way in to the plugin and back out to your controller which allows LED customization via ReaLearn (feedback values)

Last edited by LowlyOP; 04-22-2019 at 10:56 PM.
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #329
EpicSounds

has anyone had luck with ReaLearn and a BCF2000 or any motorized fader controller?

It's very jittery with knobs and the faders fight you when you try to move them.

I think ReaLearn needs a delay between moving a control and sending feedback to avoid this.

edit - rough video of the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ariDLz50r3Y

Last edited by EpicSounds; 04-24-2019 at 06:45 PM.
EpicSounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #330
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
has anyone had luck with ReaLearn and a BCF2000 or any motorized fader controller?

It's very jittery with knobs and the faders fight you when you try to move them.

I think ReaLearn needs a delay between moving a control and sending feedback to avoid this.
Hey Jon,
Unfortunately it won't be that easy, I think. That is: If you want to operate a fader with your hand while simultaneously sending feedback to it. To make this work smoothly you would require:
* a high sampling rate in the ballpark of > 30Hz (not audio here but sampling the position of the fader, typically a MIDI CC)
* a high resolution of the fader position (definitely not 7 bit CC!)
* very low latency between reading the input and outputting feedback
* software modelling of dampening to reduce oscillations/instability, i.e. the fader needs to move as if it had a mechanical damper attached. This may be realized on the DAW side or inside of the controller firmware.

I doubt that ReaLearn would support the above, especially the high sampling rate & low latency. Maybe CSI by Geoff Waddington?

As a compromise maybe:
* Detecting movement (i.e. change of input data in a certain time interval)
* Immediate suppression of feedback once movement has been detected
* Re-enabling feedback e.g. t=1s after movement has stopped

This would require playing around with these parameters and may be very controller dependent.

Previously I suggested two related features that would be useful to build the above:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=251
and
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=252

Ben seemed to be open to the idea...
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #331
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
As a compromise maybe:
* Detecting movement (i.e. change of input data in a certain time interval)
* Immediate suppression of feedback once movement has been detected
* Re-enabling feedback e.g. t=1s after movement has stopped
this is pretty much what I had in mind. Similar to REAPER's preference for 'automation recording return speed'.

I thought maybe the issue was the hardware not being touch sensitive. Even the rotary encoders are not working well with ReaLearn. My Novation Nocturn works great with ReaLearn.

BTW folks we featured ReaLearn as part of a tutorial recently, my next one is on ReaLearn as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LBdXXcg7g
Old 05-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #332
Illusionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post

edit - rough video of the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ariDLz50r3Y

Hi! I had the same problem and I was stuck. A workaround came to me, when I was falling asleep yesterday at 2am thinking about the issue:

I have assigned a shortcut to a button on my controller which does two things:

1) Toggle show floating fx for selected track
2) Toggle record arm for specific track where ReaLearn is (for me 76)

By default track 76 is record armed to the appropriate midi input, with record disabled. In ReaLearn, I have checked "Send feedback only if track armed".

So I select a track and hit my assigned button.

1) It shows me my fx so I can see the gui's
2) It disables rec arm for 76, so there is no feedback.

I do what I want with no jittering effects.

I hit the button again.

1) The gui's close
2) Feedback is back

I hope it helps a bit as a workaround. It was good for my workflow, but I know it won't suite everyone.
As for future updates on the ReaLearn itself, maybe it doesn't need to send feedback all the time, but only when a track is initially selected. So maybe no real time feedback?
Illusionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #333
EpicSounds

sounds great, I was hoping to control track faders and sends though so the GUI focus wouldn't be possible.
not a big deal, this works great in Mackie mode
Old 05-05-2019, 11:11 PM   #334
Illusionaire

I get it. Then maybe you can assign the button to only toggle record arm for the track with Realearn, and not show the guis? It is an extra move you have to do every time, not the most practical. But maybe better than nothing at the moment. I think the best solution would be for ReaLearn to have an option to send feedback only when each track is initially selected and not in real time.
Illusionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:55 AM   #335
halfshavedyaks

will there be a linux version?
halfshavedyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #336
Audio_Birdi

Default Unable to get MIDI Feedback working

Hi there,

I've been trying to get MIDI Feedback working using ReaLearn and a MIDI Fighter Twister.

I've got the MIDI Fighter Twister Enabled for both input and output in MIDI Devices preferences and have selected them for "MIDI Control Input" and "MIDI Feedback Output" respectively inside ReaLearn.

I've mapped 1 endless rotary encoder to the track volume of the currently selected track as a test. I can use the encoder to move the fader. But when using a mouse to control the fader, feedback isn't following the fader movement.

I've tried endlessly to get feedback sent to the MIDI Fighter Twister and haven't had any luck in getting it to work.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Audio_Birdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #337
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Birdi View Post
Hi there,

I've been trying to get MIDI Feedback working using ReaLearn and a MIDI Fighter Twister.

I've got the MIDI Fighter Twister Enabled for both input and output in MIDI Devices preferences and have selected them for "MIDI Control Input" and "MIDI Feedback Output" respectively inside ReaLearn.

I've mapped 1 endless rotary encoder to the track volume of the currently selected track as a test. I can use the encoder to move the fader. But when using a mouse to control the fader, feedback isn't following the fader movement.

I've tried endlessly to get feedback sent to the MIDI Fighter Twister and haven't had any luck in getting it to work.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Hi, you also talked with the people in the LBX thread with no results? Could it be your usb port, that is causing some sort og bug with the MFT? I know it can be finicky with usb extension chords and hubs, but it wouldn't surprise me if it also had trouble with some motherboards or usb cards. If you have another PC/Mac to test on, you could try and see if you have better luck with that.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #338
Audio_Birdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
Hi, you also talked with the people in the LBX thread with no results? Could it be your usb port, that is causing some sort og bug with the MFT? I know it can be finicky with usb extension chords and hubs, but it wouldn't surprise me if it also had trouble with some motherboards or usb cards. If you have another PC/Mac to test on, you could try and see if you have better luck with that.
Tried two different computers, a laptop and a desktop. Both macOS 10.12 and Windows 10 Pro x64 1903.

It appears the MIDI Fighter Twister isn't sending feedback at all which is odd for sure!

Not sure what can be done to get feedback working.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #339
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
Tried two different computers, a laptop and a desktop. Both macOS 10.12 and Windows 10 Pro x64 1903.

It appears the MIDI Fighter Twister isn't sending feedback at all which is odd for sure!

Not sure what can be done to get feedback working.
Maybe it's a firmware issue with you controller, then?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #340
Audio_Birdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
Maybe it's a firmware issue with you controller, then?
This did the trick! Reset the Firmware on the MF Twister and it works as intended now! Thank you so much!
Old 06-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #341
Audio_Birdi

Default Faderport controlling CC and Feedback with ReaLearn?

I'm wondering if people have managed to get the motorized fader on the Presonus Faderport Classic to follow MIDI CC and provide motorized Feedback at all?
Old 06-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #342
Tiggerdyret

Quote:
This did the trick! Reset the Firmware on the MF Twister and it works as intended now! Thank you so much!
No problem. Glad it worked. This is such a cool controller when paired with Realearn and Smart Knobs.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #343
Hartley Mays

Default Scope across Projects?

Hello,

I've done some basic testing to try to be sure how ReaLearn remembers settings across multiple projects. I set up a mapping target as a specific track on a project and did not set the option that it must be selected. The mapping shows the track number and name from that project. I tested that the mapping continues to work when new tracks are inserted to change the track number. I then saved the preset and opened a blank new project, adding Realearn to it, and selecting the saved preset. I tried the knob used in the mapping and the Realearn track's volume fader moved. The Realearn GUI showed <This> for the mapping. OK, makes sense that this was the best it could do. I then named another track identically to the target track I had used in the first mapping and Voila! the mapping now showed this track as the target, even though it was a different track number than the original track number.

So it seems that track names can be used as a unique identifier across projects to set up mappings!? This seems to be potentially very powerful and useful. Is my conclusion accurate, and are there any caveats to it?

In general, now that Realearn and SmartKnobs are stable and feature rich, it would be great to learn about specific implementations for different use cases, setups, and project types.

And I want to echo the thanks and congratulations to Helgoboss for the brilliant work on this.

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:29 AM   #344
CEART

Default crash at load

Hello,

Got this error at Reaper (5.981) load after installing ReaLearn 1.7.1, portable did fail too.

VST scanning error + note
Plug-in 'ReaLearn.dll' executed invalid operation during scanning
Note: if Reaper crashes as a result of this, simply run it again and it will continue on the next plug-in.

No others plugins fail, first time. Just wanted add ReaLearn since it is a amazing resource to use with my Novation 61SL.
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #345
mlprod

Hi

A little bug report regarding Reaper crashes when bypassing any Take FX plugin when Realearn is present in the project.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=224098
Old 08-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #346
SeanTypedThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Hi

A little bug report regarding Reaper crashes when bypassing any Take FX plugin when Realearn is present in the project.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=224098
Did you try the last pre-releasr?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=296
Old 08-17-2019, 05:31 AM   #347
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTypedThis View Post
No I had not, but it works! Thanks
Old 09-15-2019, 06:09 AM   #348
bamsehopp

Default stereo width?

Hey, I'm really enjoying ReaLearn, but I can't seem to find the option to map the stereo width of the selected track, is this possible?
bamsehopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #349
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsehopp View Post
Hey, I'm really enjoying ReaLearn, but I can't seem to find the option to map the stereo width of the selected track, is this possible?
ReaLearn doesn't seem to have the option to map the native stereo width parameter. You have to map a stereo width plugin in ReaLearn as a workaround.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:26 AM   #350
Stroudy

Hey,

I'm getting an unexpected quit (Mac OS) after opening a track template or copy/pasting a track with ReaLearn on it.

Here are some details:

Only happens with Feedback enabled AND Kontakt instruments

Turn feedback off - no crash
Different VSTi instrument - no crash

Also, if the Kontakt instrument window is open, selecting the track or selecting a different track causes a good 5-second delay/lag

Having said all that - really love this plugin - changes my workflow for the better

Cheers
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #351
tompad

Default Change presets with action?

How can I change the presets in ReaLearn with actions?

I have ReaLearn at Input Fx and Reaper dont have any
actions to change presets with plugins placed at InputFX.

Tried to make a mapping (in ReaLearn) that changed preset
in ReaLearn, but it only makes Reaper crashdive.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #352
Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post

Wait ... you are talking about relative mode with endless encoders, right? In this case "Step size min" or "Step count min" (below "Source min/max") are the correct sliders for changing the speed. I'm puzzled by the LED thing. It sounds like you use ReaLearn's MIDI feedback. But MIDI feedback for relative mode is only supported in upcoming ReaLearn version, not in the old one. In any case, you can always separate the "control" and the "feedback" into two mappings which have different settings.
Thanks for your answer. I only saw it now
Is there now a version for MIDI feedback for relative mode?
I saw the latest version is still 1.7.1 right?
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:43 AM   #353
tompad

Default ReaLearn connected to Reaper crasch

Hi!

I have had a strange thing happening with ReaLearn involved.
I had a conversation about it with Justin here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...83&postcount=8

It seems like when I have ReaLearn on a track and then open
Monitoring FX and deactivate or activate a plugin in MonFX
Reaper crasches. When I remove Realearn and do the same
Reaper runs as usual.

Tested on Win 10, Reaper 5.984/x64 to Reaper 6.0/x64 and ReaLearn 1.7.1

Last edited by tompad; 12-05-2019 at 11:33 PM.
tompad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #354
sweben53

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
#175 Fixed messed up mappings when dragging FX above another FX which is controlled by ReaLearn
Hey I absolutely love what you have done with realearn. this problem still exists when you have your track mappings set to "Selected". Is it possible to fix that?
And would it be possible to add a "search" function when adding an action?

Thanks
sweben53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #355
SeanTypedThis

Default Check the last pre-release

I believe this was a bug documented here:
https://bitbucket.org/helgoboss/real...ble-monitoring

And fixed with the last pre-release:

Been using it for the past year without issue, stable with no crashes when messing with monitoring FX.

Hope that fixes things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
Hi!

I have had a strange thing happening with ReaLearn involved.
I had a conversation about it with Justin here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...83&postcount=8

It seems like when I have ReaLearn on a track and then open
Monitoring FX and deactivate or activate a plugin in MonFX
Reaper crasches. When I remove Realearn and do the same
Reaper runs as usual.

Tested on Win 10, Reaper 5.984/x64 to Reaper 6.0/x64 and ReaLearn 1.7.1
Old 12-26-2019, 02:25 AM   #356
tompad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTypedThis View Post
I believe this was a bug documented here:
https://bitbucket.org/helgoboss/real...ble-monitoring

And fixed with the last pre-release:

Been using it for the past year without issue, stable with no crashes when messing with monitoring FX.

Hope that fixes things!
OK, have to wait until it get stable then. On homepage it's still 1.7.1
(why not 1.8?)
Old 12-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #357
Dasco

Hey :-) Very new user here so please forgive me if i ask silly newbie questions.

I've used Realearn to set a simple controller, i've even managed to create a simple custom .eel script that fires off a midi CC at my controller to change the LED status (to indicate which of 4 modes is active) . but i've run into a couple of issues i can't find answer for so would appreciate some help.

1) My controller is quite 'fine' and the encoders can do really smooth precise movements yet the 'steps' in relearn are a bit too big. Is there some kind of resolution or scaling option? I am using relative encoder mode (as i don't want to use absolute mode as that gets more jittery with feedback enabled).

2) In 'selected track mode' If i set realearn to control a plugin on, say, slot 4 - and then later on i move that plugin to another slot, Realearn creates havoc. It still attempts to control *whatever* plugin it finds in slot 4. This is often *very* undesired behavior. Is it possible for Realearn to keep track of the specific plugin it was first trained to control? and then if that plugin is not found in the chain it should control nothing. I feel that controlling random parameters is really dangerous and can mess up a mix.

Many thanks
Dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #358
SeanTypedThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompad View Post
OK, have to wait until it get stable then. On homepage it's still 1.7.1
(why not 1.8?)
It's been rock solid for me for north of a year at 50+ engagements, primarily live performance situations, on multiple machines, as well as through the upgrade to Reaper 6.02. Not a single crash since 1.8.0-pre1 on my end (can't speak for others, though). So whether it says pre or RC or what have you, I personally wouldn't worry too much.

I do agree it would be nice to see reference to the pre-release on the main site, as I have seen a few people have this issue and not realize it has been fixed, but I'm sure helgoboss has other priorities at the moment. Still just glad to have something else this reliable and flexible for my work flow.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #359
PMan

Default Linux Support?

I see the question has been asked twice in this thread, with no reply. I guess that means no, no Linux support.

I totally understand, not complaining, just sayin, you won't have to get the installer signed, or any other permission from a giant company. And there are more Linux users and developers appearing every day.

Thanks for the great software, I'll try to get it working under wine.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #360
poetnprophet

Is there a way to get the MCP fader to be a SOURCE? I need to use the volume fader for volume AND to control FX parameter. Can that be done?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote