Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #121
millersgulch
Human being with feelings

Default Reverb during tracking

My slow computer won't allow direct monitoring of any plug ins but i found a work around for reverb. Just put the reverb plug in on the track. Open up the monitor icon and then turn down the direct signal on the reverb plug in. Any latency acts as predelay.
millersgulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #122
romik

SHIFT+B - bypasses all plugins on selected tracks (I prefer SWS toggle bypass of all plugins on selected tracks).

OPT+CMND+click on track's solo - exclusive solo, disabling all other track's solo mode.

Say you want to try different compressors on a track and wish to quickly switch between them to audition - in FX window select plugins you want to AB & CMBD+B.
romik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #123
Wildeh

Is there a shortcut to interrupt recording and not to save anything? I.e. Press Ctrl+R to start recording and hit ESC or something similiar when you notice that something went wrong.
Wildeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #124
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildeh View Post
Is there a shortcut to interrupt recording and not to save anything? I.e. Press Ctrl+R to start recording and hit ESC or something similiar when you notice that something went wrong.
Yes, you can set that up. In the "Main (alt recording)" section, just assign ESC to "Transport: Stop (DELETE all recorded media)".
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #125
jpchartrand

Hi guys,

This is a question for old Logic users. Is there any way to use the cursor/click just like in logic?

Right now the arrange window is more like Pro Tools. I would like to have to press cmd+click in order to select a region instead of just clicking.

I would like my click to just select the audio region I'm clicking. Possible?
jpchartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #126
Steve Folta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchartrand View Post
I would like to have to press cmd+click in order to select a region instead of just clicking.

I would like my click to just select the audio region I'm clicking. Possible?
Try Preferences / Editing Behavior / Mouse Modifiers. I'm not quite sure what you're asking for, but that's the place for changing that kind of thing.
Steve Folta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #127
jpchartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Folta View Post
Try Preferences / Editing Behavior / Mouse Modifiers. I'm not quite sure what you're asking for, but that's the place for changing that kind of thing.
Thanks that actually helped a lot. I was able to set up almost everything.

There is one crucial thing that I can't figure out.

In logic, if I highlight a region and then double click it, it turns that selected region into and independent region. I don't explain it very well but if you've ever used logic you'll know what I'm talking about.

If anyone can help with this one, I would be MOST grateful. Thanks!
jpchartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #128
andysarchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchartrand View Post
There is one crucial thing that I can't figure out.
In logic, if I highlight a region and then double click it, it turns that selected region into and independent region. I don't explain it very well but if you've ever used logic you'll know what I'm talking about.
I've never used Logic, so I'm not sure if our terminology might be a bit mixed-up. But if you want to double-click on the ruler to make a region from a time-selection:

Mouse Modifiers > Context:Ruler/double click > Default action > Actions list > Markers: Insert region from time selection.

Hth.

Andy
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #129
EpicSounds

A tip I learned last week.

When doing manual correction with ReaTune. You can remove the blue correction lines by selecting and pressing delete on your keyboard. You can also cmd-click to select multiple correction lines.

Seems obvious now but I couldn't figure it out before!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #130
Tod

Default Play/Stop, Pause..(a better way)

I don't know about the rest of you but there's a few things that bug me about the way the default SpaceBar (Start/Stop) and Enter (Pause) work.

Often I'll be playing along and hear something that I want to check but instead of hitting the Enter key to Pause, I hit the SpaceBar again without thinking. Or, on the other hand, if I do stop to think and hit the Enter key to pause, I then lose the original position of the Edit cursor.

A good friend of mine, Robert Villwock a.k.a Big Bob, has come up with a set of macros to change all that and I think these are excellent, they work very well.

You can download the KeyMap here, it also includes a short pdf written by Big Bob:

https://stash.reaper.fm/15355/BB_Play-Stop-Continue.rar

Here are the custom macros, the macro name is blue and the bracketed text is the Short-cut Key I use.
-----------------------------------
BB_Play/Stop [Space] - This macro will work just like the current SpaceBar action works. If stopped it will play and if playing it will stop playback and return the cursor to the playback start location. NOTE: This macro must be used instead of the standard Play/Stop action in order for the remaining macros to work properly.
SWS: Save loop selection, slot 5
Loop points: Set end point
Transport: Play/stop
Loop points: Set start point
SWS: Save loop selection, slot 4
SWS: Restore loop selection, slot 5
BB_LastStop [Enter] - When stopped, this macro will move the cursor to the location where you last stopped playback. In other words you don't have to use "Pause" any more, after you hit Play to stop, you can hit Enter to go to where you stoped playback. I really like this.
SWS: Restore loop selection, slot 4
Go to to end of loop
BB_LastStart [Ctrl-Enter] - When stopped, this macro will move the cursor to the location you last started playback.
Go to to start of loop

BB_Continue [Alt-Space] - If stopped, this macro will start playback from the last stop point. If playing, this macro will stop playback and return the cursor to the start point (the same as BB_Play/Stop).
Custom: BB_LastStop
Custom: BB_Play/Stop

Remember, the BB_Play/Stop must be used before the other custom actions will work.

Also in order to make these macros work in the Midi Editor you'll have to assign the shortcut keys you use to "Misc: Pass through key to main winddow".

(02/11/2013) Here is a slight addendum>>==================
Due to interference from a particular Preference setting, Big Bob has added another custom action to be used with this setting. Preferences>Editing Behavior>Move edit cursor to start of time selection on time selection change

Further explanation can be found here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=24

You can download the BB_Play/Stop+ KeyMap below and add it to your Action List to use instead of the original BB_Play/Stop.

https://stash.reaper.fm/15525/BB_PlayStop%2B.zip

Last edited by Tod; 02-14-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #131
Amazed

Default How to Change velocity on All midi items on a track at once

Is there a quick and easy way to select all MIDI items on a track, and set every notes' velocity to a number, say 100, for example?
Another member posted this.

Select All notes: CTRL+A
Notes properties: CTRL+F2
Velocity textbox: Write the number you want
Press OK

You can compress or expand velocities too..

e.g. in velocity textbox write: *.5 for a 50% compression, and then move velocities up a bit manually.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #132
royleith

Default MIDI Files for Modules and MIDI Track 'Bounce'.

I wanted to create files that would play back correctly through my midi modules and those of my friends. Exporting midi only exports the items and not the track outputs.

The manual tells you how to do record the combined track outputs, but it is not brought together in one place.

First, the quick and dirty method. Install Hubi's Loops, Maple Loops or equivalent (I'm using Ubuntu Studio and a looping port comes as standard). Set the looper as the output for the source tracks and record on an additional 'Mix' track with the looper as the input. Exporting the 'Mix' track will produce the file that you need.

The quick and fancy method just uses Reaper features. Set up an additional 'Mix' track and set up Receives from all the other source tracks. Turn Master/Parent send to OFF in all the source tracks, and arm the mix track for recording. Set it to Record Output/MIDI.

The advantage of this method is that you can have several 'Mix' tracks and insert a filter, such as the transposition filter, to record the track in different keys or add some other filter to all the source tracks. Don't forget that any effects in the 'Mix' track will not be exported. Send the 'Mix' track to a second 'Mix' track to record any filters in the first 'Mix' track.

A second advantage of the Reaper method is that you can have several goes at using the ReaControlMIDI filter in one of the source tracks. Setting the Control Change to active, you can experiment with live panning and pitch shifting without leaving edits in the source track.

You need to program a Bank/Program select midi event in each track for the target module. If you want a file for someone else's module, then the events must be edited for that module. Don't forget to restore them for your own module after you have recorded the project for the other module.

Just as a parting shot, if you want to 'bounce' the output of a midi track to another track, the Send/Receive method is the way to go. This might be useful if you want to export the track outputs as individual files.
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #133
adaragray

Default Separating / copying single takes from take lanes

apparently the easiest way to separate one take from a multiple take lane without having to duplicate and crop to active take is to drag and drop the active take to a new track while holding STRG and ALT.
If theres a faster way without using a macro please tell me.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #134
PandaMadness

Totally noob question here: is there any way to edit essentially the same MIDI sections (like, say, edit all chorus parts of the song) all at once? Right now when I want to change something I essentially have to delete the old parts and re-duplicate the new edited one.
I used to do some stuff in FL Studio, it had this pattern idea, where you would create a bunch of patterns, and then paint them over the general track list. That way when one pattern is edited, all of it's copies accross the track are changed accordingly. If possible, I would like something similar to this functionality.
PandaMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #135
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaMadness View Post
Totally noob question here: is there any way to edit essentially the same MIDI sections (like, say, edit all chorus parts of the song) all at once? Right now when I want to change something I essentially have to delete the old parts and re-duplicate the new edited one.
I used to do some stuff in FL Studio, it had this pattern idea, where you would create a bunch of patterns, and then paint them over the general track list. That way when one pattern is edited, all of it's copies accross the track are changed accordingly. If possible, I would like something similar to this functionality.
You may have a better chance of getting an answer if you start a new thread with your question.

This thread is for explaining tips and tricks.

I think what you are looking for is possible, but I don't use it myself. Maybe look up "ripple" or "ripple edit" in the free PDF Reaper manual.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #136
some65

Thx Girls and Boyss for all those tips
some65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #137
adaragray

for tapping the tempo turn off "playback position follows project timebase (time or beats) when changing tempo"
in preferences/seeking
Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #138
adaragray

Default drum quantizing with magnetic stretch markers

Stretch markers not just snap to the grid, they can snap to other stretchmarkers on other tracks. So you can easily first allign single drum instruments and then correct the timing.
for an example, you run a transient detection on every single drumtrack and
instead of slicing you set it to put stretch markers.

Now you select all drumtracks(important), they don't need to be grouped.
Hold Shift and move a stretchmarker on any track.
if the marker reaches a position on the grid where another Stretchmarker(on another track) is, they snap and you can move them alligned to whether the next marker on other tracks to snap, or finaly to the desired position on the grid.

just another aproach to drum quantizing
it takes a bit but it works pretty good.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #139
SmajjL

Yes! i can select items (any) and ctrl+alt and make fades only on the selected ones.
Great since i have set the default to add none.
Just took a wild guess/test (no manual) so my self praise is High atm, even if this news is ancient.. so if you'll excuse me..
Yes!! yes-yes/who-ho! + (a pro moonwalk) "without the music..

and, i'll read through this thread "later".. excuse moi in advance, it needed a "bump" anyways.

*cheers*
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 AM   #140
BogdanS

Default Fast change layouts

You can configure fast change of layout by double-clicking on track mixer, such as wide or narrow skin (depending of themes).
1. To do this, in the Layouts (Screensets) select your favorite skins for Actions (chose in a Selected Mixer Panel).
2. Then create cycle actions with SWS (do not forget to activate "Toggle"!!!): Use action "Layout:apply custom layout #N" and added two your layouts. Between them, do not forget to ADD STEP. Save it!
3. Then, modify the behavior of the mouse in context "Mixer control panel" (add your own actions)
Sorry for my English.

P.S. To developers : add the ability to change layouts in "Auto Color/Icon"!!!!!!!!!!
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #141
EpicSounds

Tip: Read the changelogs! There are tons of additions to each version that are easy to miss, especially if you only go on the forum occasionally.

For example - Version 4.58 added "Render: option to render selected items"
and "Render: option to render tracks with only mono media to mono files"

Those sound super useful.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 AM   #142
adaragray

You can copy and couple envelopes with empty items
and set up a nice envelope database wich you can open in a new project tab
Old 01-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #143
Seventh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaragray View Post
Stretch markers not just snap to the grid, they can snap to other stretchmarkers on other tracks.
if the marker reaches a position on the grid where another Stretchmarker(on another track) is, they snap...
Are you sure they snap to each other and not just to the grid? This would be really nice for groove quantizing, but I'm unable to make the stretch markers snap to markers on other tracks. The only way I'm able to do this is to first move the edit cursor to the desired stretch marker position, and then move the other marker so it snaps to the edit cursor.

Here's a gif of the process
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #144
spinlud

Quote:
Originally Posted by romik View Post
Say you want to try different compressors on a track and wish to quickly switch between them to audition - in FX window select plugins you want to AB & CMBD+B.
Sry i don't understand, what AB & CMBD+B stand for?
spinlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:59 AM   #145
adaragray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Are you sure they snap to each other and not just to the grid? This would be really nice for groove quantizing, but I'm unable to make the stretch markers snap to markers on other tracks. The only way I'm able to do this is to first move the edit cursor to the desired stretch marker position, and then move the other marker so it snaps to the edit cursor.

Here's a gif of the process

its not actually snapping it's more grabbing along the way
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #146
ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I don't know about the rest of you but there's a few things that bug me about the way the default SpaceBar (Start/Stop) and Enter (Pause) work.

Often I'll be playing along and hear something that I want to check but instead of hitting the Enter key to Pause, I hit the SpaceBar again without thinking. Or, on the other hand, if I do stop to think and hit the Enter key to pause, I then lose the original position of the Edit cursor.

A good friend of mine, Robert Villwock a.k.a Big Bob, has come up with a set of macros to change all that and I think these are excellent, they work very well.

You can download the KeyMap here, it also includes a short pdf written by Big Bob:

https://stash.reaper.fm/15355/BB_Play-Stop-Continue.rar

Here are the custom macros, the macro name is blue and the bracketed text is the Short-cut Key I use.
BB_Play/Stop [Space] - This macro will work just like the current SpaceBar action works. If stopped it will play and if playing it will stop playback and return the cursor to the playback start location. NOTE: This macro must be used instead of the standard Play/Stop action in order for the remaining macros to work properly.
Loop points: Set end point
Transport: Play/stop
Loop points: Set start point
SWS: Save loop selection, slot 4
BB_LastStop [Enter] - When stopped, this macro will move the cursor to the location where you last stopped playback. In other words you don't have to use "Pause" any more, after you hit Play to stop, you can hit Enter to go to where you stoped playback. I really like this.
Go to to end of loop
BB_LastStart [Ctrl-Enter] - When stopped, this macro will move the cursor to the location you last started playback.
Go to to start of loop

BB_Continue [Alt-Space] - If stopped, this macro will start playback from the last stop point. If playing, this macro will stop playback and return the cursor to the start point (the same as BB_Play/Stop).
Custom: BB_LastStop
Custom: BB_Play/Stop

Remember, the BB_Play/Stop must be used before the other custom actions will work.

Also in order to make these macros work in the Midi Editor you'll have to assign the shortcut keys you use to "Misc: Pass through key to main winddow".

(02/11/2013) Here is a slight addendum>>==================
Due to interference from a particular Preference setting, Big Bob has added another custom action to be used with this setting. Preferences>Editing Behavior>Move edit cursor to start of time selection on time selection change

Further explanation can be found here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=24

You can download the BB_Play/Stop+ KeyMap below and add it to your Action List to use instead of the original BB_Play/Stop.

https://stash.reaper.fm/15525/BB_PlayStop%2B.zip
I quite like this.

Any way to stop the actions from showing up in the undo/redo list? Clicking on the Edit menu I see things such as: Undo "Custom: BB_Play/Stop"
Not very helpful.
ambient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #147
jgnelson

Default Punch -In Recording

I am new at this, what area do I look at for auto-punching in, I did a search in the document, but it must be called something else.

I know this software has to have something to do this?

I am using Reaper..

Thanks..
jgnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #148
Jeffsounds

Open your manual, hit CTRL-F and type in "punch" in the box that opens up. Hit F3 and you will find a bunch to read.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 AM   #149
Reno.thestraws

Just a quick tip...

Préférences -> mouse modifiers -> arrange view -> middle click -> defalut action -> set the action: Options : toggle snapping

Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #150
adaragray

stolen from vendetta V

i just paste it here..

"if you get to open Reaper before turning on your keyboard, no problem, just hit ctrl+p (or the top right corner of the screen where it lists the sample rate latency etc. and it opens the preferences. now just click cancel or hit esc and Reaper will refresh the midi devices, meaning your keyboard is already working, no need to close and reopen Reaper."

this indeed saves me a lot of clicks
Old 04-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #151
Hypernitesky

Default Behringer x1204 usb dual effects tip

I was considering making a separate thread for this but not as many people might see it. There's something cool I learned the other day you can use this mixer to work as a 2 channel digital mixer with your computer if you use the fx built in on your instrument/voice as you dial the levels on the mixer, cut your usb send from that instrument, then in reaper turn on monitoring for you second type of effect with the usb send maxed or at least on from your channel that the instrument/voice is coming through. Message me to talk behringer .
Hypernitesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #152
Devotio

A little tip more for peoples new to mixing and recording in general.

If you're not quiet sure how loud your song is, click on the little speaker and have a look at where the little sound bar is and how it's behaving. It certainly gives you an idea of where your mix is at. Furthermore, if there's a band or musician that can make a good reference to how you want your mix, listen to a few song by them through windows media player with no EQ or enhancements on, click the speaker icon again to see how the soundbar behaves with those songs, listen to the songs through headphones to hear how every instrument and vocals sits in their mix. Challenge yourself by comparing yourself to the best, in return, you get the best from yourself.

By the way, I'm a working class windows user if you hadn't guessed :P
Devotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #153
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaragray View Post
apparently the easiest way to separate one take from a multiple take lane without having to duplicate and crop to active take is to drag and drop the active take to a new track while holding STRG and ALT.
If theres a faster way without using a macro please tell me.
Whats a STRG?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #154
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Whats a STRG?
It's German for the CTRL key
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #155
stumpbroke1

Default reacontrol midi

A while back I saw a FR for more slots in reacontrol midi plug instead of just 5, for those of you may not already know this, you can use more than 1 instance of reacontrol midi on a track, I tested this and added 8 instances to one track connected them to 40 envelope lanes and it worked perfectly.
PS
don't forget to rename each instance to help keep things organized(in FX window R click on instance in FX window and rename MIDI 1, MIDI 2, MIDI 3....etc.

Happy Reaping!
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #156
amoretam

Default Unfreeze Special

I was having problems because I always edit Items after freezing tracks, the problem is that if you want to get back (Unfreeze) a popup will come up telling you that everything that you have done to items is now lost.

As I love the Freeze feature, I created a macro which will let me preserve everything that I do to the track(s) lane (add more items, edit, take volume envelope changes, everything) when that/those track(s) is/are unfrozen.

You just have to make sure your items are unlocked before.

My freeze feature is a little different because it adds an icon to my frozen tracks.

that is why you will see a remove icon action in this macro..

Hope you njoy..

Macro detailed in screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macro Unfreeze Special.jpg (46.8 KB, 540 views)
Attached Files
File Type: reaperkeymap Unfreeze Special.ReaperKeyMap (317 Bytes, 316 views)
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #157
AMKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
No.

Let's take an example to be more easy to understand :
I want to make a beat, using one shot samples.
I want to insert the same hihat sample every quarter bar. So i insert the first one, but the sample's lenght is not exactly the same than the grid's lenght (it is one shot, and not looped to the tempo).
SO i would like to be able to quickly hit a key to jump to the next gridline, then i only have to hit [ctrl+V] to insert a new instance of my sample, etc.
That way, i can program beats without using my mouse.
I was doing this very often using Acid, and it was very quick.
THe other advantage of this technique, is that when a loop is 99% of a bar's lenght, you don't often notice it, and using such a "jump to gridline before pasting" technique, you're 100% sure that your sample will start at the correct point : no bad surprise while looping, etc.
Might seem cluttery but you could always stagger them on separate tracks if they overlap (thats what I do when vocals overlap) :shrug: haha.
AMKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #158
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKR View Post
Might seem cluttery but you could always stagger them on separate tracks if they overlap (thats what I do when vocals overlap) :shrug: haha.
Just make the sample one beat long.

Make it so the sample doesn't loop.

Drag out to one beat long.

Glue.

Make it so it now loops.

Then, drag it out as long as you want.

Last edited by dea-man; 09-19-2014 at 09:39 AM.
dea-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #159
EpicSounds

Tip - Change your projects to use the new Elastique V3 Engine.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 AM   #160
hammie

Hey! Any tips for me? I've been using ezdrummer now, using just a mouse and it's kinda frustrating to map a whole song (some exceed 10 mins) with adjusting velocity and the right note using only my mouse. So I just found an old usb keyboard of mine, and I wanted to try to map the midi drums with it.

It works fine and all, but since I'm not very good at playing convincing drums with a keyboard, I'd like the midi mapping to be such, that when I point the cursor to the place I want the note to be AND press the corresponding drum hit (let's say hihat @ F#2) so the note would appear at the right place, without having to put the mouse to the F#2 line.

So to summarize: I only want to point to the correct time, where I'd like the note to be, and use my left hand to press the right note, which note I'd like it to be.
hammie is offline   Reply With Quote