Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #1
Thoughts Riff
Human being with feelings

Default Audio interface and portable recorder suggestions.

Hello everyone,
I'm new on the forum. I'm an amateur music producer who learned everything from scratch these years.
I would like to ask you some advices about my next purchase.
I have a pretty old notebook (dual-core 2GHz, 4GB ram) and I'm looking forward to buy a new one in a few months (money fly away this period). I was wondering about buying an external usb audio card to at least improve audio quality while mixing. Here is my first question, does a good external sound card improve audio quality?
If yes, can you suggest me a good one? My budget would be like 80-100€, I don't need to register instruments, so I don't need many inputs. I'm into this because I already hear a huge difference between my notebook audio card and my smartphone audio quality (it's a new Huawei P8 2017), this last one is largely better than my notebook.

I'm both an amateur music producer and a fan of foleys! I like to use recordings in my productions so I would like to know if there is any portable recorder with high audio quality worth to be purchased.

Well, that's enough for now. Thanks in advance!
Thoughts Riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi Thoughts Riff.
Does a good external sound card improve audio quality? Absolutely.
Here is a sort of recent roundup of possibilities:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech...d-today-570850

Just make sure you know what you need in terms of eg number and type of inputs, phantom power etc. and maybe get more detailed feedback form users here or elsewhere. FWIW Focusrite seem to get very good ratings but I have limited experience with them.

BTW Reaper is very efficient as you may know and your current computer may well cope with your demands which in audio terms are not great.

I have also limited experience with portable units but this gave good results of live performances:

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording...D_BwE#full-des

I am sure others will have better advice based on personal experience.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Thoughts Riff

Hey Marti, thanks for your reply.
Oh, that musicradar article, I think I found it a few months ago. The first one, m-audio m-tracks 2x2 seems worth it. It should be OK even for inputs and outputs, as I wrote i don't need to record anything, maybe just midi support and it has that.
Also that portable mic seems really cool! It would be a nice purchase.
Anyway, I think I'm gonna buy the external audio card for now and look for the portable mic in future.
I just need some reviews or any kind of experiences from users here and Google.

Thank you again
Thoughts Riff is offline   Reply With Quote