Old 01-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
ajaym
Human being with feelings

Default Video plugin script documentation

I could have sworn when this feature was released that there was at least some rudimentary documentation on writing new presets for the video plugin FX but I am darned if I can find that material now. It's not, as far as I can see, in the JSFX reference either. Does anyone know where any examples and documentation can be found, apart from the Reaper blog stuff - and I have no idea where the author got material on how to write presets in the first place, unless it was done by careful reverse engineering, which is rather frustrating.
I'm strong on writing normal audio JSFX plugins, it's just the video stuff I'd like to find documentation on.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
cfillion

Press F1 in the video processor IDE.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
ajaym

Ah... well *that* hadn't occurred to me to try, it's not mentioned in the editor key list, that's very useful. Thanks for that.
That said I'm still unclear on a few things like how you create new named presets etc. The Reaperblog preset instructions indicate to amend the default ini file and suggest that saving a preset will create it if it doesn't exist (which it doesn't) - I tried creating a single line of dummy code (i=0 and saving with 'no preset' selected but although this seems to work (editor says 'code updated successfully') it doesn't appear to trigger the creation of a preset file. Also I'm not clear why the blog presets appear to be hex encoded and not plaintext - where is this import format documented?. I'd really like to understand how this stuff works since I'm good with JSFX now and quite confident writing audio plugins, so being able to do video as well is truly awesome....
Old 01-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
ajaym

Ok, so it looks like the way to make this work is not quite as documented in the Reaper Blog comments in the user preset file. (though close)

1. Go to the folder

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\presets

2. Create a file called builtin_video_processor.ini

3. Add a header to this file, as follows

[General]
LastDefImpTime=1329370998
NbPresets=6

(because there are 6 presets in the blog file)

I do not know whether the value of LastDefImpTime matters particularly; I just copied it from another ini file that was already there

4. Paste in the rest of the blog file starting with [Preset1]....

5. When you restart Reaper and select from the preset list you should now be able to see the additional presets. I *surmise* but have not confirmed, that if you modify the code for any of these and re-save it, that the INI file entry is updated. The stored code is hexified for some reason when this is done.

6. I also surmise that adding new user presets requires that you add a new [Presetnn] entry to the INI file. I am not sure if an empty preset body works OK and that you can then add code; I assume this is probably the case.

I do wish Justin and the team would take a *little* more effort on documentation; I mean, I truly admire the amazing work that has been done on Reaper but to be honest just a little more info would be useful; having to reverse-engineer this stuff just takes time and energy away from doing creative stuff with it. Ah well....
Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post

6. I also surmise that adding new user presets requires that you add a new [Presetnn] entry to the INI file. I am not sure if an empty preset body works OK and that you can then add code; I assume this is probably the case.
new presets are easier, same as any plugin. The import of my presets is more difficult.

I had to guess at what would be easiest for people. copy and paste contents of one file or copy and paste 10 separate bits of code into the editor, saving individually.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
ajaym

That new overlay preset is terrific! I wonder why the original didn't have crop, it seems like a 'must have' feature. So now I have picture-in-picture basically working. Now it's time to do the YT video demonstrating my Qunexus plugin.... which is what I wanted to learn all this stuff for!.