Old 02-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v5.71pre20 - February 8 2018

v5.71pre20 - February 8 2018
  • + Audio Units: use variable I/O for plug-ins which do not support kAudioUnitProperty_SupportedNumChannels
  • + Extensions: do not load project template after successfully importing a project via extension [t=202610]
  • + FX: fix channel behavior when loading FX chain via SWS resources [p=1951546]
  • + Subprojects: add action to save project and render RPP-PROX for non-subprojects
  • + Subprojects: add option to prevent automatic subproject rendering
  • + Subprojects: add option to prompt on background subproject rendering
  • # Envelopes: consider envelope points at the right edge of a project region to be within the region [p=1937919]
  • # Regions: include envelope points very close to start of region when copying region [p=1950427]
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
Luster

Thanks for again for the enhancements regarding the sub-projects feature. Please consider my little FR from the pre before which I quote here:
Additionally I would suggest some kind of possibility to rename sub-projects, especially for version-control, so you can step back to an older edit or just give the automatic created sub-project a meaningful name.

E.g.: You open up a sub-project and save new version of project, it breaks the link to the mainproject.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
lalo

Hi all pre19 and pre 20 don't suffer anymore of the thing i reported here..

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...24&postcount=3

It seems to be back to a pre pre16 condition :-D if not better and more responsive.

Great! Cockos rulez!

a.
lalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
musicbynumbers

Thanks devs! Will test ASAP

One thing regarding "add option to prompt on background subproject rendering"

This might only be needed for loading as that's when it can break things.

That's probably how you have it though as I've not had a chance to test yet.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
mpl

Since I see some changes in subprojects, I guess this pre thread is a good place to bump this API bug report. I want to dissolve items from the subproject item directly back to main project (of course I understand they could be stretched, cut, glued, stretchmarkered etc).

Thanks.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Jack Winter

That's a good idea

Another good one would be "move tracks to separate sub projects". Maybe a better Freeze B)
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
DANIELE

Why don't you add the possibility to copy markers and regions from a project to another? It will be very usefull when I have to move a not finished project to a new template.

Thank you.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
Why don't you add the possibility to copy markers and regions from a project to another? It will be very usefull when I have to move a not finished project to a new template.

Thank you.
see ReaPack for
cfillion_Copy project markers and regions in time selection.lua
cfillion_Paste project markers and regions at edit cursor.lua
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v5.71pre20 - February 8 2018[*]+ Extensions: do not load project template after successfully importing a project via extension [t=202610]
Thanks!
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
see ReaPack for
cfillion_Copy project markers and regions in time selection.lua
cfillion_Paste project markers and regions at edit cursor.lua
Thanks, I didn't know them.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
Thanks, I didn't know them.
SWS: Save marker set
SWS: Paste marker set from clipboard
SWS: Load marker set
SWS: Delete marker set
SWS: Copy marker set to clipboard
also work fine.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #12
DANIELE

Quote:
SWS: Save marker set
SWS: Paste marker set from clipboard
SWS: Load marker set
SWS: Delete marker set
SWS: Copy marker set to clipboard
also work fine.
Wow, great. I feel so blind now.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #13
blumpy

Default subproject features

Thank you for the added subproject features!
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
musicbynumbers

Default New subproject features feedback.

Just trying the new bits out! Loving most of it so far thanks! The pop up dialog works great for saving me from accidental re-renders!

Few things to mention:

1 - When creating a new subproject from within a master project. Could the grid on/off setting also be copied across? (I'll check if anything else is missing too)

2 - When creating new subprojects (from items/tracks within a master project). I don't see why it should ask you if you want to re-render as it's obvious that you want (and have to right?) Seems the new warning dialogue box should be removed for that?

3 - Could we have a "create Proxy file" option when right clicking on reaper projects in the media explorer? At which point it would open the project and create one for you? Maybe if you select a few projects at the same time, it could do all of them? Or as a tick box in the render window?

4 - I know it's probably a big one but any chance we could choose file format for subprojects (via project settings) as sometimes (like for my massive amount of piano demos), I just want to have a preview file that's say a 24bit flac instead. 32bit float is often overkill and only really needed for normal subproject work or if worried about clipping.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Thanks for again for the enhancements regarding the sub-projects feature. Please consider my little FR from the pre before which I quote here:
Additionally I would suggest some kind of possibility to rename sub-projects, especially for version-control, so you can step back to an older edit or just give the automatic created sub-project a meaningful name.

E.g.: You open up a sub-project and save new version of project, it breaks the link to the mainproject.
Version control has always been a pain with subprojects. I tend to manually rename the first backup file created to keep it (since I frequently delete all rpp-bak files).

Renaming subprojects would be a big help, especially when they are created with the recording file name format which is the last thing I want my subprojects named after (maybe in the media item properties, renaming the PROX file would rename the corressponding RPP).

Thanks for the subproject improvements btw!

Last edited by PitchSlap; 02-08-2018 at 03:34 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
4 - I know it's probably a big one but any chance we could choose file format for subprojects (via project settings) as sometimes (like for my massive amount of piano demos), I just want to have a preview file that's say a 24bit flac instead. 32bit float is often overkill and only really needed for normal subproject work or if worried about clipping.
Totally! I would have assumed this is a doozy to do... I mean, just repeat all the file format options from project settings dialog...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #17
musicbynumbers

5 - option (or action) so that even if you use the action "move items to new subproject". It can still inherit the regions and markers from that area. That would be super useful too I think rather than it just working for the "tracks within time selection" option.

Also. I too would love to see renaming of subprojects handled like mentioned.

I know we can easily create copies of subprojects (via "open copy in editor") but be great to be able to rename subprojects easier.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #18
Luster

Quote:
I know we can easily create copies of subprojects (via "open copy in editor") but be great to be able to rename subprojects easier.
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean with that? Opening a reaproxy from the main in an external editor (now Reaper) creates a copy of the sub as new take?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean with that? Opening a reaproxy from the main in an external editor (now Reaper) creates a copy of the sub as new take?
Yes.

It's not obvious that it works but it does. Naming is still tricky though.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #20
mschnell

Subprojects:

Any chance to add an option to not render a subproject at all (but use it as a "live subproject" only "rendered" (i.e. it's tracks automatically placed accordingly) when playing back or rendering the main project (see multiple feature requests on that issue) ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:26 AM   #21
juliansader

Quote:
[*]# Envelopes: consider envelope points at the right edge of a project region to be within the region [p=1937919][*]# Regions: include envelope points very close to start of region when copying region [p=1950427]
In all my tests and projects so far, the "regions vs tempo envelope" bugs appear to have been fixed!
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:28 AM   #22
Luster

Quote:
It's not obvious that it works but it does. Naming is still tricky though.
Oh wow. Wasn't aware of that. The user guide describes it but in a way I thought it works not for existing subprojects. My suggestion would be that the interface (menu entry) should reflect that possibility better (not "open item in external editor" but something like "Open as new take and version of sub-project").
That's changing demands for me.

May I ask off topic: is there a way to import projects as sub-projects while retaining there file/folder path? Right now when I go that route, the reaproxy and project files are stored in the main folder of the master project...
Old 02-09-2018, 01:57 AM   #23
musicbynumbers

It kind of negates what a subproject is good at which is reducing cpu cost.

If you right click the subproject tab at the top of the screen, you will find options so that you can play subprojects in sync with the master project when inside the subproject but...

Currently, you can play/edit a subproject in sync with the main project but the subproject output is output straight to the audio out rather than through the actual track it's on in the main project which means you actually have to leave tracks in the master project at 0dB and with no effects to use these feature accurately.

Really wished the subproject you are editing would respect its routing.

I think that would change how a lot of people view subprojects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Subprojects:

Any chance to add an option to not render a subproject at all (but use it as a "live subproject" only "rendered" (i.e. it's tracks automatically placed accordingly) when playing back or rendering the main project (see multiple feature requests on that issue) ?

-Michael
Old 02-09-2018, 02:04 AM   #24
musicbynumbers

Indeed. Most users would never know that was there and should at least be in the take menu beneath duplicate take if the audio item you right click om is a subproject.

As for keeping folder structure. I don't think you can but remember, if you do a "save as" from within the subproject, choose a new location and then tick "copy media", then you can "extract" the subproject to a new folder.

Not what you wanted but if you do that before dragging it into reaper and you have "copy media into project" turned off in options, then folder structure will be maintained.

Still not super fast though.

I don't mind the project files being where they are because you can then audition and treat them them as if they were normal audio files.

Quote:
Oh wow. Wasn't aware of that. The user guide describes it but in a way I thought it works not for existing subprojects. My suggestion would be that the interface (menu entry) should reflect that possibility better (not "open item in external editor" but something like "Open as new take and version of sub-project").
That's changing demands for me.

May I ask off topic: is there a way to import projects as sub-projects while retaining there file/folder path? Right now when I go that route, the reaproxy and project files are stored in the main folder of the master project...
Old 02-09-2018, 02:08 AM   #25
lyrex

HI!
Any chance to add option "play subproject thru track on which sub project item placed in master project" and of course thru all master project routing? ))
lyrex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #26
mschnell

Quote:
It kind of negates what a subproject is good at which is reducing cpu cost.
Not really.

If you watch the video on subprojects by Kenny he explains how they can be used to organize your tracks. He does not seem to be very interested in the CPU saving (which of course can be very helpful in certain situations).

I did try the "in sync playing" but this resulted in very weired outcome. E.g. the subproject audio was twice in the output stream.

-Michael
Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #27
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Not really.

If you watch the video on subprojects by Kenny he explains how they can be used to organize your tracks. He does not seem to be very interested in the CPU saving (which of course can be very helpful in certain situations).

I did try the "in sync playing" but this resulted in very weired outcome. E.g. the subproject audio was twice in the output stream.

-Michael
To get it to play in sync. There's a few settings that have to be ticked and some that don't.

I'm not near reaper now to say what these are but it can be trick and might be the reason you are hearing it twice.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #28
HighVoltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrex View Post
HI!
Any chance to add option "play subproject thru track on which sub project item placed in master project" and of course thru all master project routing? ))
This is what keeping me from subprojects.

It might be great for mastering or film sync, but the lack of this feature makes it unusable for using it as a powerful freeze function.

The subproject's master channel could reflect the channel that is in the main project.
But that would cause problems with sends, so it's maybe not a good idea.
But anyway, monitoring through the actual track would be magic!
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #29
musicbynumbers

Indeed. Out of all the FRs I collected to do with Subprojects. I think this one has about 80% of the importance weighted to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
This is what keeping me from subprojects.

It might be great for mastering or film sync, but the lack of this feature makes it unusable for using it as a powerful freeze function.

The subproject's master channel could reflect the channel that is in the main project.
But that would cause problems with sends, so it's maybe not a good idea.
But anyway, monitoring through the actual track would be magic!
Old 02-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #30
mschnell

Quote:
To get it to play in sync. There's a few settings that have to be ticked and some that don't.
I don't suppose this can be done in a workflow matching the use of the current pre-rendered subproject. E.g. moving a subproject object around on one track or routing audio (and Midi?) from the subproject to other tracks.

This said, it's obviously yet another challenge when designing "live" subprojects: it should be possible to route audio and Midi to and fro.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-10-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #31
theFRXST

Thanks for this

# Regions: include envelope points very close to start of region when copying region [p=1950427]

Next thing I hope to see curve envelopes don't get rendered into extra points if they are interrupted. Though I have a feeling something like that will be for the big 6.0

Old 02-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #32
Robert Randolph

I'm going to be the annoying guy that mentions that this is still desired:

Quote:
Unless I somehow missed that it was stealthily added, then I'll be the very annoying guy that asks for something that's already implemented.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #33
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
I'm going to be the annoying guy that mentions that this is still desired
Please, go further, be annoying. I support the request. Everybody should try to get an appeasement entry in the changelog.

For clarification: It's not about odd/even tracks get different shading but every second visible track - so it's easier to "read the lines".

Last edited by Luster; 02-10-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #34
vitalker

Quote:
Please, go further, be annoying. I support the request. Everybody should try to get an appeasement entry in the changelog.

For clarification: It's not about odd/even tracks get different shading but every second visible track - so it's easier to "read the lines".
I'm also for this(cause my screenshot is here ), even if would work for selected track only.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #35
midiman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
That's a good idea

Another good one would be "move tracks to separate sub projects". Maybe a better Freeze B)
I agree with no render. I have asked for this a while back. I wanted to use the sub projects as instrument tabs.for the main project. To keep things in a big project sort of cleaner.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #36
ovnis

Quote:
# Regions: include envelope points very close to start of region when copying region [p=1950427]
Issue with the first midi item when I copy/past region (v5.79pre6).

Reaper project :
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33317/bug.rpp

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #37
ovnis

Bug : When i copy/past automation item, the left edge point is abscent (v5.79pre6).

The project :
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33318/bug.rpp
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #38
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Issue with the first midi item when I copy/past region (v5.79pre6).
I think this is an example of the phenomenon reported in Moving region across tempo change bug.

If the setting "Allow trim of MIDI items when splitting" is disabled, and part of the un-trimmed MIDI source extends to the left of the visible item, things such this are expected to occur whenever there are tempo changes that affect the hidden MIDI to the left. (Even if no regions are involved.)

Since regions should faithfully copy their contents, perhaps regions should automatically trim MIDI items when copying? (Similar to how regions automatically linearize automation curves.)
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote