Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
KenB
Human being with feelings

Default New Interface ... Can't Stop Pops and Clicks

I'm configuring a new Windows 10 x64 computer and I replaced my old interface with an Audient iD14.

When I play my iZotope Iris soft synths (both version 1 and version 2) I get pops and clicks. The problem is that relaxing the interface latency and buffer settings to the max has virtually no effect.

Nothing complicated in the signal path ... just playing Iris with a midi keyboard and routing the audio through the interface.

Have hardly no idea how to ...

1. How to rule out the new interface as the cause.

2. How to troubleshoot the system if the interface is not the cause.

Need some ideas and pointers.

Using Reaper x64 5.201 ... system specs are below.

Thanks!

KenB
Old 06-13-2016, 12:10 AM   #2
Fabian

Have you tried different USB ports?

Also, try with ASIO4ALL as driver to rule out that the interface has bad native drivers.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 AM   #3
KenB

Well ... I think I might have found the problem.

I went into Control Panel > Power Options > Choose or customize a power plan > Preferred plans ... and changed the power plan from "Balanced" to "High performance". Since that change I haven't been able to coax out one pop or click.

Although I have an inkling I'm not clear on why this change seems to work ... though my theory is that when using the "Balanced" plan the system kinda got caught with it's pants down when midi notes were keyed in and it had to handle the audio output. Is kinda nonsensical given my hardware specs but yet changing the setting helped.

Will do more testing over the next couple of days before I conclude the power plan change worked.

Thanks Fabian ... and everyone else!

KenB
Old 06-13-2016, 04:17 AM   #4
bazsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Well ... I think I might have found the problem.

I went into Control Panel > Power Options > Choose or customize a power plan > Preferred plans ... and changed the power plan from "Balanced" to "High performance". Since that change I haven't been able to coax out one pop or click.

Although I have an inkling I'm not clear on why this change seems to work ... though my theory is that when using the "Balanced" plan the system kinda got caught with it's pants down when midi notes were keyed in and it had to handle the audio output. Is kinda nonsensical given my hardware specs but yet changing the setting helped.

Will do more testing over the next couple of days before I conclude the power plan change worked.

Thanks Fabian ... and everyone else!

KenB
Power saving stuff causes havoc with realtime audio. frequency scaling for one can cause issues, as having to ramp up the frequency can interupt things.

I turn stuff like that off in the bios if i can, i remember on my older amd system i had to turn of amd cool and quiet otherwise it would be switching clock frequencies on demand.

For glitch free audio you need a constant stream of data, if the audio buffer becomes empty you get pops and clicks and in extr4eme causes bursts of noise.

So if your computer is having to wait for something like access to a USB drive or for the processor to ramp up to full speed, the audio buffer can empty and cause a pop or click.

with full performance settings, everything should stay on processor at full speed etc and thats less things to interupt audio.
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
dimbow

Might also be worth opening task manager, clicking on Processes tab, and then on Size, so that the most intensive processes are shown at the top. When you get a pop, you can see what is causing it.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
TheWhistler

You may have a look here:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-on-Windows-10

Good explanation of how to set up windows to work smoothly with audio.

If that is not enough. Here is an in depth manual to modify the registry and get rid of unwanted/disturbing processes.
http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/
Old 06-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #7
BrianL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Have you tried different USB ports?
+1 for this one. My Focusrite 2i2 has worked great since installed about 6 months ago. Just yesterday I started getting random pops (but not in renders). Tried other ASIOs and spent a lot of time killing processes, etc, to no avail. Changed USB port and- presto. Hope it sticks
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #8
zacki

Also valuable info can be found here.

I recently tested a NI Komplete Audio 6 Interface. Although I implemted a lot of the mentioned tips, sadly I didn't get it to work without clicks/pops. I set it to high buffer values, disabled unused hardware in the device manager, stopped several services, stopped processes with process explorer (had only 36 running processes in the end on Win7 x64), swapped usb port, used a powered usb-hub, toggeld power management and tested it on 3 laptops... all with no success! The interface itself is of very high quality and it has all connectivity a dreamed of in small usb powered box. Very sad!
zacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
BrianL

I moved USB cables around a got the "pops" back, so this time I tracked down the source. I found that if I unplugged my Korg NanoKontrol2, the pops went away. I downloaded USBDeview utility from Nirsoft.net (VERY good free utilities here btw). This utility gives the details on ALL of your USB devices, even those that are not currently plugged in. The key information it provided was that my 2i2 audio interface and NanoKontrol were on the same USB HUB. Clearly the same hub could not handle the load of both devices.

It can be difficult to discover which USB ports on a PC share the same hub internally, so some trial and error may be needed. I had a spare PCI USB card on the shelf so I took the easy route and plugged it in to the motherboard. Once I was able to isolate my Focusrite 2i2 to it's own USB hub number (un-shared with any other USB devices), the pops are gone, and I can still use the NanoKontrol.

Maybe this is uncommon, as I do have a lot of USB devices, but I would suggest trying to eliminate all but the "popping" USB audio device from the ports early in the troubleshooting game.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 AM   #10
Pinthar

Default Pops and clicks solved windows 10

I know this is an old post, but I had the same problem, and after about a week of troubleshooting, I finally found out what worked for me.

1. Changed power options to High performance.
2. Switched my USB port from 3.0 to 2.0.

No more pops, clicks or drop outs while playing high CPU demanding VSTs...

I also use the recommended ASIO drivers for my device...

Warning: Stay clear of ASIO4all...no good this.
Pinthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #11
Akashic Bird

Sorry for bumping this old thread too, but I think it could be useful to people having pops and clicks like me, that tried various usual solutions that didn't work.
Asio4all doesn't seem to be the problem, rather the power options, as people previously said.
I want to add that I didn't have any other option than the default one available, and after googling a bit I found that I had to open Windows Powershell and enter powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
to make it available. Have to test on other projects to see if it fixes problems eveywhere, but at least it works right now.
Akashic Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #12
ivansc

And as a general rule for anyone just starting up, download the e-booklet "Glitch free" (google it) and you will have pretty much everything you need to know about optimising your computer for audio MIDI multitrack recording.

Amused me that one of the posts in this thread - from 20166 - actually used the phrase "glitch free" before the booklet came out - at least I am pretty sure it arrived later than 2016.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:01 AM   #13
Akashic Bird

Didn't know about this booklet. Great ressource indeed.
Akashic Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #14
Mishkacat

Default Same issue and fixed

I know it's an old thread but..

+1 for the power high performance setting. all has been running well then I installed the demo of the GX80 and there were lots of crackles.

Set the performance to high power and pretty much clear now!
Mishkacat is offline   Reply With Quote