Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #81
gofer
-blänk-

This is called the I/O window, shouldn't there be a place to assign hardware inputs of the track? This was my first big 'Huuuh??? with Reaper, almost forgot that...
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #82
labyrinth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
This is called the I/O window, shouldn't there be a place to assign hardware inputs of the track? This was my first big 'Huuuh??? with Reaper, almost forgot that...
I totally agree with that man.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #83
airon

Good point indeed. :P

Brice, wanna add that ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #84
Tallisman

I wonder if the mock-up should be done useing the default theme? I dunno, but I am thinking that is what the Devs are using mostly...

:?

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #85
brice

There's a "hardware" tab ...
you should all have your eyes checked

Tallisman default theme or not doesn't matter, it's just cosmetic, it's about placement, not gfx.
brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #86
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brice View Post
There's a "hardware" tab ...
you should all have your eyes checked

Tallisman default theme or not doesn't matter, it's just cosmetic, it's about placement, not gfx.
Brice...a hardware in tab, not the out.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #87
Amberience

Has Justin offered anything towards this idea? ie: Yay, or nay ?
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #88
brice

oh, right, input, well ...

but since you really seem to want it to show I might add an extra tab (or extend current track)
and use that extra space for the "Master/Parent Send" and "Track Channels" as well
brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #89
mio*star

Default great job

wow, you guys are doing a great job !

++1

one of my first "uuuhs" with Reaper was also because track I/O routing is not displayed at the bottom of the track (à la PT or DP or ... almost everything else ;-)
Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #90
misterm

+1 Thats one mighty fine GUI for sends and receives.

p.s: multiple sends/receives that would span over the screenwidth will scroll, right?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #91
Bink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
I believe that any tweaking of this window needs to incorporate a drop-down menu for all
configured sends and receives, such that we can quickly re-assign a send/receive without
losing the configuration settings.
I find that window ugly too (especially how the theme doesn't extend into fully into any of these pop-up windows on OS X), but functionality is the key, and Tallisman nailed it. I just opened this thread because I was hoping for this exact feature. (I just spent an afternoon trying to quickly audition different different verb-busses. ugh)

I am a real slut for pretty graphics, but threads like these make me wonder if devs get scared off of or just don't see some really good, simple ideas, because they are buried in FRs for GUI mods. Making the GUI mods would certainly take a lot more time than simply making the send/receives a drop down. Of course I want both, but if we were forced to vote for sexy vertical sends or Tallisman's very unsexy added drop-downs, which would we choose? Which would fundamentally change the way we work?

Having this window show up in a second (vertical?) docker would be another game-changer. Unfortunately Brice's great mock-up of this got lost in the justifiable admiration of the theme he was using for the mock-up.
Bink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #92
Lokasenna

I'm liking it. Meters under the fader are a great space-saving idea, though you would run into trouble if the meter's peak is right under the fader itself.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #93
Evan

Great work guys.

Brice's mockup looks awesme, just a little congested. Would like more space and margins myself.

There's one thing I am missing from the IO window right now, the ability to re-assign a send. And even better when you can quickly reassign a send to adjacent tracks. Like you would in a drop-down box with the mouse wheel. Tallisman already mentioned it and this is my FR too, functionality wise.

Now I like the mixer-like designs but they have one drawback, just like the mixer: I sometimes want to see longer track names. Especially if you use a larger bolder font as I like, the names are short.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #94
airon

The designs look good, but in retrospect they're very much not part of the current theme.

Consistency is a key thing, and most of our mockups were very busy looking and cramped IMHO.

Perhaps Sir White Tie has an idea on how to redesign the I/O section ?

Let's hear all ideas.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #95
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brice View Post
sure, having it not themable would be a huge step backwards.

this is just based on my wip theme.
Hey Brice, where can I get your wip theme?

I checked out your threads on redoing the UI. You have some good ideas. I hope Cockos takes notice of the things you are proposing.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #96
airon

Here's a design that uses the existing 3.0 theme elements and introduces a few small additional elements.

Backup location for the image: http://img65.**************/img65/792...medesign06.png

Except for the Midi Hardware Output section, I used the item_bg.png of the default theme for the backgrounds. I guess the graphics designers can do much better here. Faders, fader backgrounds and buttons all come from the TCP graphics. The send volume markings were hand-placed. That way everybody knows this is the volume fader. The layout also matches part of the TCP, so no 'This is the volume' text is necessary.

The areas where people can open a dropdown menu is marked with a symbol that you can view up close here. The symbol in the 'Add' dropdown boxes is the large one. The one depiced in the picture I linked just now, is in fact 75% of its size, and is used in all other dropdown boxes.

One font is used in the entire design, namely Tahoma 8 point. The non-bolded text has a tracking(distance of letters to one another) value of 80. This was done in Xara4.

There is one piece of functionality that I added, which is the dropdown box in the Send name. A lot of people want ot change the target of the send quickly and keeping the existing settings.

I'm running the Royale Noir Windows theme btw, which accounts for the dark windows borders. This make a difference I find.

Last edited by airon; 05-14-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #97
beatbybit

very very nice, airon!

especially the dropdown menu items. i'd be totally happy with this concept all over in Reaper.

+110110101
Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #98
Mercado_Negro

airon I'm with you too on that one: it's clear, brilliant and very readable

+1 to your idea
Old 05-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #99
Evan

Great. Although I am hooked with the vertical mixer design. I like this one too.

Thoughts and suggestions for airon's design (some also applies to reaper's design as well)..

- The Master send gets a checkbox, other sends get a M (mute) button for the same functionality (?). Maybe provide the M (mute) and X (for close/delete) on the top-right part of each strip, next to the title. They will be in a more obvious and relevant space I think. I do not like a button with the word 'delete' in that context.

- Isn't the track channels independent of the Master/Parent send? If so, shouldn't it be in a separate container for clarity?

- I don't like the contrast of the bright slices vs the dark background, especially since the right-mid-bottom half is all dark empty space.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #100
CoffeeMilkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
airon I'm with you too on that one: it's clear, brilliant and very readable

+1 to your idea
Let me quote you, huh?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #101
Mercado_Negro

Maybe a little bit off-topic here but wouldn't it be nice to have separate checkboxes for Master/Parent Send? I mean, one for Master and one for Parent. With this, those users asking for "Folders used as Folders only not audio receivers" could be satisfied (I'm not one of them, I like how it is now but options make people with different visions happy)
Old 05-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #102
livedead13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Maybe a little bit off-topic here but wouldn't it be nice to have separate checkboxes for Master/Parent Send? I mean, one for Master and one for Parent. With this, those users asking for "Folders used as Folders only not audio receivers" could be satisfied (I'm not one of them, I like how it is now but options make people with different visions happy)
separate checkboxes for master/parent send would definitely be useful.
livedead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #103
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Great. Although I am hooked with the vertical mixer design. I like this one too.

Thoughts and suggestions for airon's design (some also applies to reaper's design as well)..

- The Master send gets a checkbox, other sends get a M (mute) button for the same functionality (?). Maybe provide the M (mute) and X (for close/delete) on the top-right part of each strip, next to the title. They will be in a more obvious and relevant space I think. I do not like a button with the word 'delete' in that context.
Ah, that is completley on purpose.

Only things that can be automated get a button. The checkbox 'Master/Parent Send' is a switch that cannot be automated, unlike the tracks Mute or any Send mute.

The delete button was placed in the middle and given its colour because the user is unlikely to click in to that area by mistake. Delete does exactly what it says and I went through some alternatives, with X buttons, different placements, and this one worked out the best way.

Naturally, if you like, I can post the source file and you can try it yourself.

Quote:
- Isn't the track channels independent of the Master/Parent send? If so, shouldn't it be in a separate container for clarity?
Oh I thought this is the perfect spot for it, as it worked rather well in the current design of Reapers I/O window. No other send/receive has it or needs it. I think it might clutter up the window if I made yet another seperate area for one switch. The Midi Hardware Output area is already something of an embarrasment .

Quote:
- I don't like the contrast of the bright slices vs the dark background, especially since the right-mid-bottom half is all dark empty space.
That dark colour is a theme choice after all it seems. I'm not sure which, but you can change it most probably. The question will then be whether the colour works with the rest of the theme.

Last edited by airon; 05-14-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #104
airon

Some more ideas, including some of the suggestions stated here. Also, an Input panel, where everyone can happily set up their input settings. It contains quite a few suggestions from other threads, such as being able to record both midi and audio at the same time, so it is quite adventerous.

In the top-most output panel, the pan area has that much space not just because it's easier to read this way, but because sooner or later a surround panner may be placed here, and that requires some space.

The Xara source file can be inspected and mangled here: https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/158916/...youtChange.zip

=edit=
Added another idea of ours, namely recording from the non-hardware inputs of the track, i.e. everything that is routed to it and not coming directly from hardware inputs, whether it's midi or audio.

Picking this recording source thus blanks out the audio and midi hardware input selectors.

Last edited by airon; 05-14-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #105
junioreq

+1 Lawrence. Maybe also have every other even pair highlighted ex. 1/2 3/4 5/6 to make it easier to see and pick on on the fly...

~Rob.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #106
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
This is pretty damn good.

If we're reorganizing things. though, why not put them in the usual order of Input-on-the-left:

Inputs | Outputs
Receives | Sends

To the person above who suggested separating the Master/Parent and Track Channel boxes... where they are now makes perfect sense to me. That container is essentially that track's master track.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #107
CoffeeMilkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
This is pretty damn good.

If we're reorganizing things. though, why not put them in the usual order of Input-on-the-left:

Inputs | Outputs
Receives | Sends

To the person above who suggested separating the Master/Parent and Track Channel boxes... where they are now makes perfect sense to me. That container is essentially that track's master track.

Lokasenna has the gospel! +1 on all the above!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #108
airon

Good point. To compare, here is a version with the Input on the left and output on the right.

In fact, I'm trying out a new background for the heading of those two sections. I've added a receive as well, just to see what a busier I/O window might look like.

The recording source now features "Routed Tracks" instead of having the "Record: Non-hardware input". I figure the complexity in the Record: section is big enough, and I expect to configure what input I choose in the Audio and Midi Input sections.

The idea behind the second shots column header backgrounds being curved and identical is to establish the colouring a little more for the user. Anyone have a better idea for those header shapes ?

Last edited by airon; 05-16-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #109
CoffeeMilkshake

I think the first one is better. I can see nothing else better than those triangles. But I'm always in the mood to be proven wrong
Old 05-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #110
Evan

My thoughts...

the Input and Output columns/components should have different tints (or a separation from some sort). Eyes tend to scan through in a horizontal fashion but this panel depicts to separate vertical sections.

It's looking great by the way.

FR regarding MIDI devices and channels.

I wanted to have more advanced customizations like assigning MIDI device X and MIDI device Y to control a single track (without complicating things with multiple tracks + sends).

To allow this kind of advanced configurations, there needs to be a way to add checkboxes to devices + channels, instead of the current select-only-one-entry menu. Similar to how the 'events filter' works for the MIDI editor, with multiple channel selection.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #111
airon

I have little to no idea how that could work Evan.

Meanwhile here's another visual update:

Last edited by airon; 05-17-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #112
Evan

Here's what I mean by column tinting (rough example)... Input and output section is visually more separated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IO_Window_30_ThemeDesign_12_tint.jpg (59.2 KB, 505 views)
Old 05-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #113
airon

I find all that colouring to be a bit overwhelming. The highlights I used before are now drowned out.

Perhaps you can make a general tinting of the sides work with a different scheme to present the send/receive targets/sources.

Here's the source to the current design (Xara file). Give it a shot. https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/160315/...ign-3.x_12.zip

I don't think we can have a tint and those other colour highlights, so this may boil down to a choice of either highlighting the send/receive targets/sources or the entire sends. Or an altered or new design.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #114
Lokasenna

When the rest of the theme is fairly one-color, I think it'd be weird to throw another one in. The inverted colors black/green on one side looks really nice though.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #115
airon

At the suggestion of Evan, here's the next version of this I/O window. Larger send/receive label text and clickable dropdown area, centred.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #116
the brok

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Here is an incarnation with full-size mixer strips:

The receives were not included this time, but they would appear when there are some.
yes, vertical, this would be IT ... +100000
the brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #117
James HE

Their have been lots or great ideas in this thread.

I have to say though that I don't think vertical really makes sense for sends. The Aux sends on any mixer are all on top of each other, not side by side. We don't need any metering here at all. If it were up to me I'd get rid of all the faders in this window for sends and just use knobs, something like the sends (when shown) on the MCP.

Receives are a little different. A little mixer set up with vertical faders would make sense - for midi or/and audio.

So maybe something similar to what we have now with the sends stacked on top of each other, but with a collapseable receives mixer that could pop in and out of the side.

So I'll give a +1 for keeping horizontal faders
and a +1 for vertical faders

James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #118
Evan

Another thought I had, not directly related to the I/O panel, but derived from it...

Take the Send strip, add

- easily reconfigurable destination
- an additional passthru-level control

and turn it into a Reaper plugin that you can insert in the fx chain.

Sends from anywhere in the fx chain.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #119
brainwreck

the vertical idea is great, imo. i think the routing window would be easier on the eyes if the channels looked like the track control panel/mixer. i have no problem looking at those and knowing where i am right away, which isn't the case with the routing window.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #120
run, megalodon

Thanks for bumping this. I think this is a great idea, all of the vertical mockups I've seen so far would be a great improvement over the current fugly and unwieldy window. +1. Something to think about for 4 if there are any other visual improvements planned.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote