Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #1041
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Default Dorico introduction announced (OT)

OT inasfar as Reaper's notation editor is concerned, but today was a very exciting day. Daniel Spreadbury confirmed that Dorico will be released before the end of the year.

Look at the part where he writes about the audio engine, borrowed from Cubase.

Oh man oh man ... this is how I imagine that DAW and notation software would work together. These are exciting times indeed.

http://blog.steinberg.net/2016/10/de...#comment-20218
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #1042
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Yes please. +1 for tab. And a print option
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #1043
JoPiano

"+ MusicXML export: fix exporting multi-layer music
+ MusicXML export: fix positioning of music following dynamic or pedal notation
+ MusicXML import: fix importing multi-layer music"

It's getting better day by day, thanks!

Some odds and ends: The rests of multiple voices get messed up when imported into MuseScore or Overture. They loose their height and collide with note heads.
And the pedal marks sit still below the upper stave.
JoPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:04 AM   #1044
memyselfandus

Printing option would be fabulous for if and when the xml is being faulty. We will still be able to print out a nice score in a pinch.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:12 AM   #1045
Nixon

I think lilypond export can coexist and might also be achieved via scripting (as far as I understand all technical aspects correctly) by someone else. I like the fact that out of the box pdf export exists and no external stuff (e.g lilypond application) has to be installed. I understand your point regarding time investment but I can also imagine that there are a lot of folks who appreciate a quick way to print their scores.
Nixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:22 AM   #1046
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
I think lilypond export can coexist and might also be achieved via scripting (as far as I understand all technical aspects correctly) by someone else. I like the fact that out of the box pdf export exists and no external stuff (e.g lilypond application) has to be installed. I understand your point regarding time investment but I can also imagine that there are a lot of folks who appreciate a quick way to print their scores.
+1! Reaper rules
Old 11-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #1047
Soli Deo Gloria

@devs :

Here you have a bug and a couple of suggestions for improving the visual aspect of the scores. Below you can see a typical piano wrinting texture :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73joa5ppml...ditor.jpg?dl=0

First, the bug :

- Each melodic line is assigned to a different channel. If I take, for example, the upper staff and isolate channel 1 with the filter, set it to the upper voice and beam the notes properly to minimize the display of unnecessary rests, after doing the same with channel 2 (assigning it to the lower voice) what I did with channel 1 is messed up - voice assignments of some notes, beam positions and rests are reset in many cases, going back to the initial mess. I attach the rpp, in case you want to experiment with it...

Now, here come two suggestions :

- Rests, ties, slurs and, broadly speaking, all score objects should be freely movable and able to be hidden/shown/flipped. Sorry if this has been suggested many times before before, but itīs good to remind it here and there because it can make the difference between a mess and a clean score, visually speaking.

- Last but not least, we lack double and triple dots (!) and these are really quite useful and necessary to help cleaning the visual clutter in examples such as the one shown above. The "minimize ties" option would benefit greatly from this addition.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Notation editor.rpp (7.6 KB, 424 views)
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #1048
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
voice assignments of some notes, beam positions and rests are reset in many cases
Confirmed, notation data for hidden notes is discarded if other edits are made. Fixed for the next build, thanks for the report.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #1049
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks so much, Schwa!!!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #1050
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
double and triple dots (!)
Coming soon..

Old 11-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #1051
Soli Deo Gloria

Wonderful!!! Again, thanks so much for all!!! If you can add up to the triple ones, weīre done for most basic cases, I think...
Old 12-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #1052
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, Schwa, as I said in the pre4 thread, thanks for all youīre doing really... All of this is truly magnificent!

As Iīm walking my first steps towards composing directly in Reaper, Iīll probably be more active these days as regards suggestions. For example, Iīve just found a situation where something that I mentioned before becomes really necessary :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dczmszhczlr4egw/Clefs.jpg?dl=0

As youīll probably see right away, clef changes at any point of the measure are really a must. There are many situations (and I dare to say, the majority of them) where the necessity of a clef change occurs at any point of the measure. If you need more examples from the classic literature I can, of course, provide them. Excuse me if Iīm a tad repetitive with this, but I allow myself to mention it again for the sake of improvement.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #1053
Audio_Birdi

Thank you for adding the tremolo articulation! I've been patiently waiting and now it's in there! .

A couple of additions / suggestions.

- Add Bartok pizzicato articulation / ornament.

- Add Trill half-tone / full-tone Trill articulations. Or the ability to signify the tone step amount needed when performing a trill.

Thanks again!
Audio_Birdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #1054
tusitala

Default markers and tempo changes in Score

Feature req / suggestion:

display more clearly and elegantly markers and tempo changes...

now it's like this:

Last edited by tusitala; 07-13-2017 at 10:46 AM.
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #1055
mschnell

Feature Request / Suggestion (already posed unanswered in another subforum).

Chords to create a Leadsheet print

Right now it is possible to select a number of notes playing at the same time and have propose a number of chords. You can select one of those ant it will be written at that position in the score.

Would be great:
- manually input a chord that is not among the proposed ones
- automate the chord detection to have Reaper create the most likely chord Symbol any n beats (supposedly some detection parameters necessary)
- manually input / edit chords already written by Reaper
- manually input edit chords at any beat.
- print the result (chords, lyrics, score) as a lead-sheet (to PDF).

Thanks for listening !
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-08-2016 at 10:21 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #1056
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
Feature req / suggestion:

display more clearly and elegantly markers and tempo changes...
Would it also be possible to hide selected tempo markers from a score. For playback purposes I will often add lots of slight tempo adjustment markers throughout a piece to add a bit of realism but I don't want them all to show in the score.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #1057
hamish

Good ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
- manually input a chord that is not among the proposed ones
I think this is essential, otherwise I have to do some silly workarounds for less common chords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
- manually input / edit chords already written by Reaper
Can do this already. Part of the silly workaround for less common chords not detected by REAPER.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #1058
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I have to do some silly workarounds for less common chords....
I'll not ask how you do that, as I'm hoping for a Reaper version to provide all this without a silly workaround .

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #1059
Commala

I'd like to gently bump the standing request for colour theming in the notation editor. Been waiting for this with great anticipation!

Also, the 'colour notes by voice' option currently uses the colours for pitch. The problem with this is that in most themes pitch colours are a gradient ordered by hue. This makes voice 1 and voice 2 very similar colours in most cases. Better would be for voices to be coloured using the section of the colour map responsible for channel, because in most cases the channel colours are more distinguishable from one to the next.

Thanks
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #1060
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
You want Guitar Pro in Reaper?
Guitar TAB
Old 12-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #1061
Commala

I usually have the midi editor full screen, but today I noticed that when the midi editor window is small, as in this image, it's possible to display notation in a much more condensed format that I can't get when full screen. I wish that I could get the full screen notation display to look similarly condensed, if desired, by adjusting the zoom parameters.

A second question I had is whether it is or could be made possible to move the key signature changes with the item. Here, I have an item on bar 46 and added a bunch of key changes, but the bars before this item are now empty and I'd like to shift it to bar 1. Currently, the key signature changes get left behind though. Is it possible for them to be anchored to the item somehow?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:35 AM   #1062
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
I I wish that I could get the full screen notation display to look similarly condensed, if desired, by adjusting the zoom parameters.
There shouldn't be any difference in the display in full screen vs not full screen. Could you post a couple of (ideally not huge) screenshots?

Quote:
Currently, the key signature changes get left behind though. Is it possible for them to be anchored to the item somehow?
If you disable View/Notation view options/Key signatures/Key signature changes affect all tracks, then key signatures will be stored as MIDI data in media items and will move with the media items.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #1063
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There shouldn't be any difference in the display in full screen vs not full screen. Could you post a couple of (ideally not huge) screenshots?
No problem. This is a screenshot of a fullscreen midi editor which I've cropped to show an active area which is the same dimensions as the screenshot posted above. You can see that the fullscreen editor can get ~ 4 bars displayed on each system while the non-fullscreen can get 7 in the same amount of space. Note that the fullscreen editor is zoomed out horizontally to the maximum extent, while the non-fullscreen editor can be horizontally zoomed out further still.

If there were eighth or sixteenth notes in these bars obviously this degree of horizontal zoom would be totally unsuitable, but for cases like the one shown nothing is lost when zoomed out this much, and it'd be great to have access to that in the fullscreen editor as well.

Quote:
If you disable View/Notation view options/Key signatures/Key signature changes affect all tracks, then key signatures will be stored as MIDI data in media items and will move with the media items.
Thank you, it's no problem now that I understand the way this works, although in this case if I want to print these exercises beginning at bar 1 I'll have to re-enter the time signatures, since disabling that option will not allow the current key sigs to persist in the new mode for that particular item. I understand the need for the key sigs to work either globally or by track to avoid conflicts, but maybe there could be a way to "glue" the global key sigs into selected/active item when changing this mode? And possibly back again, apply key sigs in active item to all tracks.

It's not a big issue, because in the vast majority of cases key sigs don't change this often. However, having a kind of cut and paste for key sigs or a way to preserve them when the form of the composition is changed would be very welcome. It's the latter reason that I foresee people having the most difficulty with, because it makes it non-trivial to remove a bar or shift a section of music in time. This when working with key sigs set globally, which I think is preferable under normal circumstances.

Edit: regarding zoom, this is really a separate issue and should maybe be in bug reports, but when using the mousewheel to horizontal zoom in the notation editor, once you've zoomed out all the way the mousewheel will begin to scroll the view vertically instead, moving the view down the page.

Last edited by Commala; 12-15-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:01 AM   #1064
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Rests, ties, slurs and, broadly speaking, all score objects should be freely movable and able to be hidden/shown/flipped
Hi Schwa! Thinking about what I wrote some time ago (and having a first hand experience by working with the notation editor, of course), I can confirm that at least the ability to flip slurs and ties is really a must to clarify the visuals of the scores (above all when one writes counterpoint; even simple two-voice passages in the same staff can be notably cluttered when you canīt invert the position of the slurs/ties ).
Old 12-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #1065
DANIELE

Hi, is there a way to quantize with different settings single measures or group of them in the same track?

If I have a section with fast and slow movements it's a bit difficult to find the right quantization setting (well it's impossible!).

Maybe you can think about it if it's not already up.

Thank you.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #1066
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks so much for the tie/slur addition in v5.32pre1, Schwa!! Itīs much better now, from my first rough tests, to write music with more than one voice - if I see somthing to improve it, Iīll comment it -.

Since youīre dealing with the notation editor, let me show you a bug and comment about a thing or two...

First, the bug :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2681x02cge...issue.gif?dl=0

1) You can see there that when I create a 3:2 tuplet with 1/4 note length - and the voice option does not usually appear the first time the popup window is shown, you have to choose it manually - the bracket moves in a glitchy way from top to bottom staff and viceversa. This does not seem to happen when I set the voice manually beforehand.

2) When I change the voice of the tuplet, tupletīs note values are altered visually in the notation editor (the MIDI editor shows the correct values, though). No matter what display quantization value I choose, it stays showing wrong values...

Then, another suggestion :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oh90w9duof...ashes.jpg?dl=0

If you look at the picture above, youīll see that when you create melodic lines with two voices (to start with), the rests of the bottom voice clash directly with the top voice notes. While this example is simple, I can assure you that this makes denser polyphonic passages very difficult to read in Reaperīs notation editor as it is now, so you can consider managing the rests in some other way to place them in a better position in these cases, in order no to collide with other notes...

As usual, thanks for all youīre doing ,really!
Old 12-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #1067
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
the bracket moves in a glitchy way from top to bottom staff and viceversa
I can't seem to reproduce this. What display quantization settings do you have?
Old 12-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #1068
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
managing the rests in some other way
Any suggestions? It would have to be something simple because this is right at the limit of what the REAPER notation editor's scope should be. Something like this would be doable: within a measure, to hide all rests for a given voice if any of those rests collides with notes in other voices.

It would also be trivial to just draw voiced rests a bit farther from the staff.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #1069
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
I can't seem to reproduce this. What display quantization settings do you have?
Well, by default I have 1/16 for notes/rests and 1/64 for minimum note length. Anyway, No matter what changes I make to the display quantization values, the problem persists. You can see below my notation view settings :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpx4x4vyjc...0view.gif?dl=0

Check out, also, what happens when I zoom in/out horizontally :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udoaxhu3tv...dness.gif?dl=0

And besides, if I delete the notes, the bracket still survives, moving up and down in its glitchy manner (!)

Quote:
Any suggestions? It would have to be something simple because this is right at the limit of what the REAPER notation editor's scope should be. Something like this would be doable: within a measure, to hide all rests for a given voice if any of those rests collides with notes in other voices.

It would also be trivial to just draw voiced rests a bit farther from the staff.
Well, I think the hiding option would be very useful. It would be good to have that option on a project basis maybe, where the hiding would be applied automatically as you write on any staff; what do you think? To have a gazillion voiced rests is definitely trivial in Reaperīs notation context...
Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #1070
schwa
Administrator

I'm baffled, I just can't reproduce that behavior. What is the MIDI ppq you are using?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #1071
Soli Deo Gloria

The default, 960 ppq... If you need more detailed settings of anything in particular, just ask! I can print the screen of all the menus you need... Besides, would a test project be of any help, or the .INI file?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #1072
schwa
Administrator

I would take a project and the ini file, yes please. Either post here or email to support at cockos.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #1073
Soli Deo Gloria

Here it goes! Below, you can find both things :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mglln4n1d...NR6i5AvVa?dl=0
Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #1074
hamish

Quote:
Something like this would be doable: within a measure, to hide all rests for a given voice if any of those rests collides with notes in other voices.
I agree with Soli, I think this would be fine.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #1075
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Here it goes! Below, you can find both things :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mglln4n1d...NR6i5AvVa?dl=0
Ah, finally got it. Fixing, thanks!

Last edited by schwa; 12-28-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:40 AM   #1076
Soli Deo Gloria

Fantastic! Many thanks!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #1077
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the bracket fix, Schwa! The tuplet values display are nevertheless altered in the notation editor when you change their voice - no matter what display quantization value you set -.

Regarding voiced rests, itīs certainly better now, although I think that the definitve solution will come when rests can be automatically hidden...

Oh, one little but useful FR : can we have actions to set selected notes to default/top/bottom staff? Iīm working on a piano score and I find myself missing those actions on many occassions, since I have created shortcuts for almost every notation task. [EDIT] : Forget about this! Commala has just pointed out that they exist and I havenīt seen them out of confussion...

Immense thanks for all!

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 12-30-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #1078
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
The tuplet values display are nevertheless altered in the notation editor when you change their voice
The tuplet bracket itself has a voice, which you set using the tuplet dialog, and only notes in that voice will get collected into the tuplet. Changing the voice in the tuplet dialog will also change the voice of all of the component notes. But if you have a tuplet set to high voice and you change one of its component notes to low voice, that note will no longer be included in the tuplet. Is that what you mean?

It probably makes sense to change this somewhat so that if you change the voice of all of the notes in the tuplet, the tuplet bracket will also change its voice. But the goal is to make sure tuplets in one voice do not try to collect notes in other voices.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #1079
Commala

I made a report in the BR forum that mentioned this, Soli is referring to making a tuplet, selecting those notes and changing the voice of all the notes.

I haven't been able to notate a tuplet correctly in any voice besides default, thought I'd tried everything. I didn't realize you could change the voice of the bracket itself, will try this.

Quote:
Oh, one little but useful FR : can we have actions to set selected notes to default/top/bottom staff?
I thought this existed already? I use it all the time

Last edited by Commala; 12-29-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:09 AM   #1080
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
I made a report in the BR forum that mentioned this, Soli is referring to making a tuplet, selecting those notes and changing the voice of all the notes.
This ^... Anyway, now that I change the bracket voice itself, it works fine! Let me show you, though, what happens when you change, as Commala says, the voice of the tuplet notes themselves :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcg0efx0gt...alues.gif?dl=0

As you can see, it can be quite confusing, since it changes the already existing values into something thatīs wrong. I see the point in avoiding wrong collection of notes in the tuplet, but this side effect should also be avoided, donīt you think?

Quote:
I thought this existed already? I use it all the time
Sorry, my fault!! I got confused and didnīt see them. You can forget about that FR statement (I canīt find how to cross out that sentence, by the way, since I see some people does it on the forum)